30 Day Fitness Challenge - Check Ins

Hello to everyone participating in our 30 day Fitness Challenge starting February 15th, 2012!

This forum will be for posting your daily check-ins and progress as you go through the 30 days. Please join us at the end of the challenge on March 15th for a Twitter party to tell us about your experience using the hashtag #evernotelife.

Full details of the challenge is here: http://blog.evernote.com/2012/02/10/announcing-the-30-day-fitness-challenge/

I look forward to seeing your success!

Posting up my example challenge note. I'm toying with the idea of tracking how much liquid I'm consuming as part of the challenge.

My challenge has a few adjustments, which may or may not disqualify me from completion:

• Trading coffee for pushups - I needs my fix, so as "payment" for breaking the rule slightly I'm adding 100 pushups to the daily routine.
  • Additional "run" column. Starting back in November I've been upping the frequency and length of weekly runs. Added a column to track.
  • Started recording Monday, even though it begins today, so the beer and wine happened outside of the challenge time frame. This is crucial :)

Link is here: http://www.evernote....73d8c54b3ca0a17

Started out drinking water and doing the 100 sit-up + 30 push (just added bonus for myself) - It's harder then I thought. Drinking only water was something not able to do, because normally I drink alot of milk and thee. So I'm narrowing it al down to less of that and more water. Sit-up every morning 50 and every evening 50 + 15 push-ups. Holding on and hoping to lose 20kg :angry: lost 11 from januari.

- Sammiep Netherlands.

• Level 5*

Started out drinking water and doing the 100 sit-up + 30 push (just added bonus for myself) - It's harder then I thought. Drinking only water was something not able to do, because normally I drink alot of milk and thee. So I'm narrowing it al down to less of that and more water. Sit-up every morning 50 and every evening 50 + 15 push-ups. Holding on and hoping to lose 20kg :angry: lost 11 from januari.

- Sammiep Netherlands.

20kgs! wow. that is an exciting goal.

my challenge is going ok so far. i am doing all four.

1. 100 situps got done with the torso rotation machine at the gym this morning. i might add some regular situps tonight as well. why not?

2. 100 stairs. yesterday i did 100 floors (that works out to something like 1600 steps i think) with the stairmaster, but that takes nearly twenty minutes, and i don't have much time in the mornings, so i am in a conundrum. i only did 40 floors this morning, and i'll see if i have time tonight to do the other 60.

3. to be honest, with the exception of coffee (2 cups), tea (4 cups), and orange juice (one cup), i was already drinking lots of water (no soda, alcohol, etc.). so, i am just trying to increase my water consumption, while decreasing the coffee and tea. the coffee buys me a spot in the coffee shop, so i think i have to keep doing at least one a day :o

4. no sugar is a little more difficult, but substituting grapes, apples, and bananas for snacks is making it easier.

I'm not a professional but IME, if your neck is sore from situps, you're doing them wrong. Be sure to tuck your chin to your chest. I'm sure Anthro/Chad will have more accurate information.

And if this is a new habit, yes, many people will have sore muscles. For me, it will be my abs. They aren't too sore, but I started on 2/14. So two days of situps & I can feel it. If you get too sore, you should take a day or two off.

Check in - Day 1 - 75% successful (drank wine at a dinner out)

Am focussing on feeling the success not the fail. Afterall, I ran up the stairs 7 times. It took me two sessions, so there is an obvious improvement area in my future! And I do have a slightly tight glow in my leg muscles today, so I'm feeling virtuously fitter.

Check in - Day 1 - 75% successful (drank wine at a dinner out)

Am focussing on feeling the success not the fail. Afterall, I ran up the stairs 7 times. It took me two sessions, so there is an obvious improvement area in my future! And I do have a slightly tight glow in my leg muscles today, so I'm feeling virtuously fitter.

I think it's more about the 30 days for me and the accumulation. 100 of anything isn't *that* much for a day. But if you consider, at the end of a month, you've done 3000 of something, it's highly likely that's more than you've done in an entire year in the past. And if it becomes a habit, well then...all the better, no?

Thanks BurgersNFries - yes, this is new for me. After I posted I did look it up and I see that I should be engaging my ab muscles vs using my neck - dummy me, but I guess I have to start somewhere! :) As far as tucking my chin, I have read that I should focus on where the wall meets the ceiling so that my neck is in line with my spine...

At any rate, on to day 3 tomorrow :)

Thanks BurgersNFries - yes, this is new for me. After I posted I did look it up and I see that I should be engaging my ab muscles vs using my neck - dummy me, but I guess I have to start somewhere! :) As far as tucking my chin, I have read that I should focus on where the wall meets the ceiling so that my neck is in line with my spine...

At any rate, on to day 3 tomorrow :)

I've answered a bunch of questions in the 30 Day Fitness Challenge - Questions forum, including the neck one. It's likely weak neck muscles that aren't used to the movement. The key is not overdoing it, whether it's a sore neck, sore butt or sore abs. Be smart and listen to your body.

Did 25 sit-ups this morning, right after waking up. Water and tea all day, no other drinks. And just did the other 25 sit-ups of my total of 50 a day. I was tempted to skip them now, and add them to tomorrow's number, but decided that that wouldn't be a good start of the challenge. Once you start doing stuff like that.... ;-)

All in all: well done me! :-)

How is everyone doing? Survive the first weekend? :) Those tend to be the most challenging part of a 30 day challenge, especially on the nutrition front.

This weekend + monday was really hard to keep up with the water / just in general it's really hard to only drink water. The exercise is going fine, I split them up in segments of 50 morning 50 before to go to bed. Only in the evening it's harder to get motivated to do them. Thought multiple times that I wanted to quit.

Also I'm eating my normal diet wich I should lose like 1,5kg a week, at least the last 1 1/2 month it was the case. Now i'm gaining wheight instead of losing. Can it be something to do with the exercise, or do I have to adjust my diet?

Link to evernote: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s155/sh/2bb4de77-ab14-4ff6-83cf-1f41f652289d/ecb6d69276d28d71ca9bd654ab21463f

The weather killed my run, but that's not really challenge related :)

I've found that the hardest part about the water challenge is other people and social situations. Since I rarely carry cash, I'm also running into charge card limits--which means I'm buying everyone drinks so I can actually use my credit card to purchase my bottle of water :(

How is everyone doing? Survive the first weekend? :) Those tend to be the most challenging part of a 30 day challenge, especially on the nutrition front.

Things are going well so far. Water only is tough at times, have been craving for some coke. Managed by fresh orange juice (as in: orange equals food ;-) ). Also fresh orange juice with bananas and some yoghurt and honey, and tea. But no sodas, no coffee, no alcohol etc. I think it will be tough when being out in a cafe or something... love to have a nice cappuccino then!

Sit-ups: all fine, but it seems to get harder every day, even though I do 25 each morning and each evening. Shouldn't it get easier over time? :-)

Also I'm eating my normal diet wich I should lose like 1,5kg a week, at least the last 1 1/2 month it was the case. Now i'm gaining wheight instead of losing. Can it be something to do with the exercise, or do I have to adjust my diet?

It's tough to say from this but often it's a case of needing to adjust the diet. Has anything changed in the 1 1/2 month you've been doing this diet for?

Sit-ups: all fine, but it seems to get harder every day, even though I do 25 each morning and each evening. Shouldn't it get easier over time? :-)

It could take up to a week or two to start feeling easier. But yes, it should get easier over time.

It's tough to say from this but often it's a case of needing to adjust the diet. Has anything changed in the 1 1/2 month you've been doing this diet for?

No nothing has changed, but I notice that in fact is going down but it's fluctuating more and going slower then it used to. But after one week I'm seeing results already on my stomach, so I can't complain :)

I've note kept up with the sit ups. My tummy was hurting and it was a long holiday weekend & the dog ate my homework. But I've been motivated by my Fitbit to get more steps in on some days, especially when I was close to a rollover. IE, if I was at 9,800 steps, I'd go for the 10,000. Going to start back with the situps today.

Also, although I'm still drinking a lot of water, I got out of the habit of actually trying to guestimate how much. Guess I need to put a paper/small whiteboard on the fridge & keep track of how many times I fill my glass.

https://www.evernote...78c5bc0a09ca565

I've found that the hardest part about the water challenge is other people and social situations. Since I rarely carry cash, I'm also running into charge card limits--which means I'm buying everyone drinks so I can actually use my credit card to purchase my bottle of water :)

I rarely carry cash, either. If you tend to go to the same place(s) & they offer gift cards or frequent user cards, get those. I have frequent user cards for the coffee shops I often run/walk to. Starbucks has an iPhone app, so if I take my phone, I don't even need my Starbucks card b/c the account number can be read from the iPhone app by their registers. *$ lets you set a limit so it will auto fill the next day. IE, if mine gets below $10, the next day, it adds $25. And if the *$ card gets lost & you've registered it online, you can designate it as lost so no one can use the remaining balance.

• Level 5*

Ok, so I'm a little bit late... But here I am, starting today with the 4 itens below:

- 200 stairs

- 100 sit up

- Drink only water (No juice, no coffee, nothing but water. I think that's gonna be the hardest)

- No added sugar.

Thiago Oliveira

Civil Engineer

Belém - Brasil

Good job! Welcome to the challenge :)

All good here.

1. water: ok. still a bit more tea and coffee than i'd like to be drinking.

2. sugar: great.

3. 100 situps: a little behind, because i didn't do them on the weekend.

4. 100 stairs: same thing. did a bunch of stairmaster this morning. more to come tonight!

I rarely carry cash, either. If you tend to go to the same place(s) & they offer gift cards or frequent user cards, get those. I have frequent user cards for the coffee shops I often run/walk to. Starbucks has an iPhone app, so if I take my phone, I don't even need my Starbucks card b/c the account number can be read from the iPhone app by their registers. *$ lets you set a limit so it will auto fill the next day. IE, if mine gets below $10, the next day, it adds $25. And if the *$ card gets lost & you've registered it online, you can designate it as lost so no one can use the remaining balance.

If only I hadn't successfully given up coffee otherwise the sbux app makes perfect sense--perhaps after I'm through with the 30 days :). Unfortunately I'm pretty nomadic in terms of where I eat and dine, so frequent buyer cards are rarely an option. I've gone old school and keep a few twenties around just in case I'm out.

I just got evernote and I'll be starting the 30 day challenge at the first of Mar! I'm doing some prep days until then.

I'll be doing 100 sit ups and 30 push ups (and I hope to increase that as the month goes on)

I'm excited!

You can do it! I kicked off with pushups too, and had to up my rep numbers to keep things productive. I'll probably keep tracking past the 30 days too.

Sorry, but I've so far, bagged the situps thing. I know I need to get back to it b/c I've been having some back issues in the past few months & I know strengthening your stomach muscles is helpful for back issues.

But all is not lost... I'm still drinking a lot more water & have been meeting/exceeding my FItbit steps & have earned three 20,000 step badges. Will update my page later.

Sounds like those of you that are checking in are doing great! The toughest part of most fitness programs/challenges is staying consistent. If you fall off for a day or two, you can always get back on!

Build the habit!!

• Level 5*

a good week. sugar, no problem. water, no problem. stairs, less than i wanted. situps, less than i wanted.

i think it will be pretty easy to keep the first two habits going forward, but i just don't have enough stairs around me to make that work without a gym. the situps, of course, are something i can do anywhere. in place of the stairs, i will probably start commuting with my bike again soon. that will give me about 14 miles a day (i think -- i might be changing my route), so i expect to soon have hulkishly large, muscular legs.

Having good days and bad... hardly ever 50 sit-ups a day... Drinking only water and tea at home is working out fine, but being out is a lot harder... not quite willing to succeed in that part of the challenge ;-)

Did go for a bike ride and a bit of running the other day though:-)

Quick reminder that our good friend AnthroChad is hosting a Twitter party today for users to check in after their 30-Day Fitness Challenge.

It's from 6-7 pm PST (9-10 pm ET) and will wrap up the first Evernote 30-Day Fitness Challenge! Great job Chad (and fellow challengers), and looking forward to the discussion!

If you want to join in on the discussion, follow @evernotelife, @anthrophysique, and the hashtag #evernotelife

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Consuming only water was something not able to do, because normally I consume a lot of milk and thee.

So I'm reducing it al down to less of that and more water. Sit-up every morning 40 and every night 40 + 21

push-ups. Having on and expecting to lose 11 kg  lost 16 from April.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Started out drinking water and doing the 100 sit-up + 30 push (just added bonus for myself) - It's harder then I thought. Drinking only water was something not able to do, because normally I drink alot of milk and thee. So I'm narrowing it al down to less of that and more water. Sit-up every morning 50 and every evening 50 + 15 push-ups. Holding on and hoping to lose 20kg smile.png lost 11 from januari.

- Sammiep Netherlands.

2. 100 stairs. yesterday i did 100 floors (that works out to something like 1600 steps i think) with the stairmaster, but that takes nearly twenty minutes, and i don't have much time in the mornings, so i am in a conundrum. i only did 40 floors this morning, and i'll see if i have time tonight to do the other 60.

You are better than most fire fighters, unless you are doing it wrong.

What kind of a Stairmaster are you using?

• Level 5*

Started out drinking water and doing the 100 sit-up + 30 push (just added bonus for myself) - It's harder then I thought. Drinking only water was something not able to do, because normally I drink alot of milk and thee. So I'm narrowing it al down to less of that and more water. Sit-up every morning 50 and every evening 50 + 15 push-ups. Holding on and hoping to lose 20kg smile.png lost 11 from januari.

- Sammiep Netherlands.

You are better than most fire fighters, unless you are doing it wrong.

What kind of a Stairmaster are you using?

I'm probably doing it wrong. That workout report was from 2012. I am afraid I can't remember any details. If not for my notes from that day (and this post) I wouldn't remember the day at all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived