HOWTO: Zoom

Mike Vegetal

Idea

I love the Android -evernote app in Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I would like to have a similar to my iMac where Evernote is very bad.

It is very difficult to handle notes that have large pictures.

There is no such a view which puts pictures to small row to the top like in Android.

Also Evernote does not support Zoom at all.

My Logitech Performance MX -zoom button cannot increase anything in Evernote.

I propose that you provide us the zoom and a similar view as in Android Evernote.

It seems that you are putting enough resources to your Mac development team.

Is there any way to zoom documents such that pictures get smaller/bigger by zooming?

Is there any way to have a similar view as in Android to Mac frontend?

77 replies to this idea

I am new to Evernote. I came to the forum to learn how to zoom notes but I see too many people with the same problem.

Hopefully we can get that much needed functionality soon...

I am also puzzled by why Evernote is ignoring the feedback from the user community on this request.  Ability to zoom in / out of note content is a fundamental requirement for usability!

+1 to have note Zoom implemented across Evernote (Mac, iOS etc) as soon as possible please. 

I also quit evernote over this. It is unacceptable that they do not respond to the forum and that they keep updating their products without a simple feature like this one. Other tools do the job much better and work together with users.

Evernote is a great idea, but they put simply too much attention to their marketing and too little to their functionality. 

I remain subscribed to this forum wondering when Evernote will get this basic commonsense (and common) feature fixed - added - whatever. They baffle me.

I also quit evernote over this. It is unacceptable that they do not respond to the forum and that they keep updating their products without a simple feature like this one. Other tools do the job much better and work together with users.

Evernote is a great idea, but they put simply too much attention to their marketing and too little to their functionality. 

Come'on Evernote - your users are telling you what's needed.  ONE - ZOOM feature to magnify text; and TWO - some minimal screen customization capability (modify background color, note presentation)!

Do we mean Zoom as in the the pinch zoom you get in iWork for pages? That would be brilliant. Maybe this will come in the 10.10 re-write evernote keep touting as the next big update.

You didn't miss anything.  This thread is nearly two years old with no response from Evernote.  One of the following must be true, and none of them bodes well:

A.  They don't read their own forums

B.  The don't think their paying customer's deserve a response

C.  They are unwilling to make the change because they are focusing all of their resources on developing new features as opposed improving functionality within the existing feature set

I for one hope it is not C, as pcryan5 pointed out, this is almost always the sign of a dying company or product.  The bean counters ignore the problems, pressuring the programmers to build the latest and greatest feature in order to attract new paying customers before the business model collapses.   Eventually the evangelists and power users all get fed up and leave the product, and it withers away.  Hopefully they have at least one person working there who is wise enough to understand that at a minimum, leaving this thread for their entire market to view as completely ignored, is without question the wrong solution, It shows their attitude toward their customers in the worst possible light.  Concern for customers should instead be their primary focus, and this discussion forum a powerful tool for increasing their user base.  Maybe they need to hire at least one savvy social media consultant to set them straight?

The complete silence of Evernote's behalf is puzzling. (Unless I missed a discussion on this.)

They should remember the lesson of WordPerfect, dbase, Lotus and increasingly Microsoft. #1 - gone tomorrow.

Hi - I'm pleased you are finally looking at this.

From my perspective #1 and #5 would work for me. In fact I ended up in this thread because I needed zoom out! Years ago I was stunned to scan in a receipt and then find that it was too big to easily read, so I wanted cmd+- to zoom out to read the date and address.

As a side note - it's taken way to long to respond to this (so I'm glad you are considering it). Like many others, I've taken the stance I won't pay you any subscription money until I'm confident you are willing to properly support customers and respond to their needs. This is a good first step to prove you are willing to support us.

Tim

6 hours ago, teamplay said:

Personally, I'm okay waiting because (if you look back to November 2015) Marcus explained that this thread had not been spotted by EN until recently. Marcus polled users in November and seemed to be genuinely engaged in finding the right solution. If you do want to get more attention, Marcus suggested the following. 

That might be better than Twitter, but that's just me.

Best, Dave

Good call @teamplay  OK.  I'll lay off the Twitter idea.  It's just that I seem to continue getting updates on this idea from the forum without action for sooooooo long.  I'll reply to the thread from Marcus as you suggest. Thanks.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, tkochs said:

May I suggest that we all take to Twitter?

Twitter is a good idea.  It certainly doesn't hurt.

Also, now that Evernote has provided a voting feature in these forums, you can "up vote" this request by clicking on the UP arrow at the top left of this page:
EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

Personally, I'm okay waiting because (if you look back to November 2015) Marcus explained that this thread had not been spotted by EN until recently. Marcus polled users in November and seemed to be genuinely engaged in finding the right solution. If you do want to get more attention, Marcus suggested the following. 

If you want to request a feature it's probably best to plug it in the Evernote for Mac release posts that I write up for every release.  Here's a link to my 6.2 release.   I'm monitoring those posts very actively and will be able to see the request. 

That might be better than Twitter, but that's just me.

Best, Dave

May I suggest that we all take to Twitter?  Posting requests and inquiries on the main @evernote Twitter account will be much more visible than being buried in this forum which is not getting the response that loyal customers deserve.  If each of us on this thread resolved to post 1 tweet per week that should turn up the volume.  "@evernote"

Hi Marcus! Thanks for listening our prayers... We really appreciate that.

First off, I am a PC user, so maybe there are Mac features that I am not aware of.

The functionality I am missing (and for my understanding, also some of the folks posting) is the ability to zoom in and out in the same way you can do it in many apps like Google Chrome: Press 'CTRL' key and move the wheel in your mouse, or just some zoom in/out command buttons on the top. For example, I use a lot of images and PDFs in my notes and sometimes you need to see in close detail one of them. Right now, you have to open the file in a external viewer to zoom in, which is not practical.

Also the ability to zoom out, I consider it very important: you may have 20 images and PDFs in a note and the ability to zoom out and have a entire picture of your note to spot the content you need would be extremely helpful.

This post states my needs to a 'T'. Whether this means #1 (vertical scroll only) or #2 (vertical and horizontal scroll) I'm not sure. As the previous commentor noted, there are times when zooming in or out on pdf-type content would be advantageous which suggests #2 I think.

And thanks for addressing this issue!

Evernote is great on my laptop but is literally (and I mean literally, literally) giving me headaches when I work at it on my high res desktop for a few hours.

I'm obliged to make my first post here regarding this subject.  I am looking at other options for next semester until this situation resolves.

Thanks for a great program, Evernote.  Please make this happen soon.

From my perspective #1 and #5 would work for me. In fact I ended up in this thread because I needed zoom out! Years ago I was stunned to scan in a receipt and then find that it was too big to easily read, so I wanted cmd+- to zoom out to read the date and address.

As a side note - it's taken way to long to respond to this (so I'm glad you are considering it). Like many others, I've taken the stance I won't pay you any subscription money until I'm confident you are willing to properly support customers and respond to their needs. This is a good first step to prove you are willing to support us.

Tim

Tim

1) Note Zoom - Pressing a key command like CMD+SHIFT+"+" in a note would grow all the content in that note larger including images and text.  Content in the note would reflow and wouldn't add scrollbars.  The note can still be edited while in this state.  Only this note is affected.

Is exactly what I would like to see.

~P

Marcus,

AWESOME having a response to this.  

Your #1 is JUST what I'm looking for.  Simple.  Reflow.  Flow back when zooming back out.  Just like Gmail does with Command + / Command -

I'd say keep it simple and roll this feature out and you'll catch 75% of people's requests here.  Then you can fine tune from there.

• Level 5*

Marcus,

Many thanks for considering this request, and for having given it so much thought.

Personally, I'd like to see 4) Global Font Zoom App Preference.  Here's why:

1. It is important that the zoom apply to all parts of the app, all panels, including the Sidebar and Note lists (all views)
  2. I use EN Mac on a variety of Macs that range from very small screen size (MBA-11) to large multi-monitor screens
    1. Somewhat counter-intuitive, sometimes it the large multi-monitor screen that give me the most problem from readability
    2. The large screens also have high density pixels, which yield physically smaller size objects (text and images)
    3. While I can change the resolution on each screen, I have to have a resolution that will work will all of my apps.  I can't change it just for Evernote if that screws up everything else.
  3. Changing the default font size won't work
    1. It might fix one device, but then ***** up others, like on EN Win, iPhone, iPad, etc
  4. I do a lot of web clipping that result in a lot of different fonts/sizes
  5. Once I set the Zoom while on a particular device, I would want it to stay the same until I changed it.
    1. I can live with just one zoom setting in Preferences that get's applied on all devices
    2. But it would be great if the Zoom Preference was machine specific.
      1. This allows me to have a different zoom on each Mac that I could set and forget

I don't want to unnecessarily complicate things, would it would be really helpful to have two zoom controls:

1. Your #4:  One set in Preferences that applies to the entire app and all Notes, on a machine-specific basis
  2. Your #1: One that can be applies to a specific Note, either in the main window or its own window
    1. Very useful for display on projection screens
    2. Very useful for Notes from web clips that are unusually small or large.

1) Note Zoom - Pressing a key command like CMD+SHIFT+"+" in a note would grow all the content in that note larger including images and text.  Content in the note would reflow and wouldn't add scrollbars.  The note can still be edited while in this state.  Only this note is affected.

4) Global Font Zoom App Preference - This increases the font size across the entire app including the note list.  Again this is a feature for people with bad eyesight.  It may not be enough to just increase the size of text in the note editor but you may also want the font on the sidebar and in the note list also larger to make it easier to see.

. . .

I'm monitoring those posts very actively and will be able to see the request.   Anyway, let me know which feature you all are asking for.

First, thank you, thank you, thank you for addressing this issue! I could weep with joy!

I didn't realize there were so many options! I will try to explain what I need and then see if I can choose between your options.

I have bad eyesight. BUT, I do not want to change the default font! This is because I often share, print and cut and paste from my notes and don't want the text to appear giant to those with whom I share the information.

As for your choices -- are they mutually exclusive? I can think of different times I would like to use a few of them.

1) This is what I thought I wanted. I wanted the note to reflow as long as it would reflow back when I closed the note, so that I could share/print/cut & paste, etc.

2) This sounds awkward. Sounds like when I edited, it would throw off the flow when I'm reading/editing and then, after I edited, it sounds like the note would have odd spacings and such after I shrunk back down to normal size. Also not sure what scrollbars really add.

3) This might be what I actually want. But to answer your question: Nope. I actually don't think I want images increased -- especially if the "real" note would print/email, etc. in regular 12 or 14 pt. font. See above -- I don't want to change the font because it makes it awkward even just to cut and paste from my note into a presentation, etc.

4) Sounds good to me! Although it would be nice if this were independent of note size, i.e. I could change the note size to larger, for ease of working on it. For the lists, I don't mind it being a bit smaller, so I can see more on one screen. Since I don't need to work with the doc. list in the same way, I can handle it in a smaller size.

5) Independently of font size, this would be a great feature! I often use Evernote on my phone.

Thank you, thank you again! I'm a premium user and I'm desperate to be able to see my notes better!

Hi Marcus! Thanks for listening our prayers... We really appreciate that.

First off, I am a PC user, so maybe there are Mac features that I am not aware of.

The functionality I am missing (and for my understanding, also some of the folks posting) is the ability to zoom in and out in the same way you can do it in many apps like Google Chrome: Press 'CTRL' key and move the wheel in your mouse, or just some zoom in/out command buttons on the top. For example, I use a lot of images and PDFs in my notes and sometimes you need to see in close detail one of them. Right now, you have to open the file in a external viewer to zoom in, which is not practical.

Also the ability to zoom out, I consider it very important: you may have 20 images and PDFs in a note and the ability to zoom out and have a entire picture of your note to spot the content you need would be extremely helpful.

A group of us met today to discuss this feature request and we would like to better understand the goal because after reading through this entire thread I think different people are asking for different things.  In any case, before we move forward I just want to get some clarity.

Here are 5 options.  Let me know which one best describes what you would like to see us implement.

1) Note Zoom - Pressing a key command like CMD+SHIFT+"+" in a note would grow all the content in that note larger including images and text.  Content in the note would reflow and wouldn't add scrollbars.  The note can still be edited while in this state.  Only this note is affected.

2) Note Zoom With Scrollbars  - Pressing a key command like CMD+SHIFT+"+" in a note would grow all the content in that note larger including images and text but unlike #1 content wouldn't reflow but instead the original layout would remain but now left and right scrollbars appear.  This is what OneNote does.  The note can still be edited while in this state.  Only this note is affected.

The following 2 are more about accessibility.  

3) Global Note Zoom Preference - Many have mentioned that their eyesight isn't as good as it used to be (I would also fit in this camp) and would like to be able to see their notes easier.  In this case we provide a global preference to increase the size of everything in a note including text and images.  This is like Note Zoom #1 but affects all notes consistently.  If you like this feature, what I'd like to better understand is why doesn't increasing the default font size work for you.  I'm guessing because you also want images increased in size but I want to understand this better.  I personally think the larger default font works for me so I'd like more color about the reasons having a larger image is also important. 

4) Global Font Zoom App Preference - This increases the font size across the entire app including the note list.  Again this is a feature for people with bad eyesight.  It may not be enough to just increase the size of text in the note editor but you may also want the font on the sidebar and in the note list also larger to make it easier to see.

5) Full Screen Note - This doesn't increase the size of the note content but is a quick way to get it to fill the entire screen so that tables and other things flow better.  This is ideal for people with small screen resolutions like a Mac Book Air and it's difficult to read their note because it's scrunched up on the right side of the 3 pane Evernote window.  

I'm assuming most people in this forum post are asking for #1 but let me know if I'm wrong or let me know if you are asking for something completely different.  I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier.  Quite honestly I wasn't aware of this forum post until our social media person brought it to my attention.  If you want to request a feature it's probably best to plug it in the Evernote for Mac release posts that I write up for every release.  Here's a link to my 6.2 release.   I'm monitoring those posts very actively and will be able to see the request.   Anyway, let me know which feature you all are asking for.

For the record, this thread is well over three years old and EverNote has only vaguely promised a fix.  Then EverNote confused the request by conflating it with image zooming.  What is needed is the ability to magnify the contents of the screen without affecting font size.  There are legacy software programs that can only run on outdated computer systems that do this.  The task is not difficult, but it appears that EverNote as a corporation has issues being responsive to customer demands.

Please add the ability to zoom (enlarge) the view of an evernote screen without having to enlarge the font size. On a Mac, this is usually done by hitting command/+ (enarge view) and command/- (shrink view).

These enlarge everything, not just the text. It would be great if this would work across all platforms. 

Most Mac tools allow this, btw.

Currently I must enlarge the FONT to about 17 in order to read the screen, then decrease it to a normal 12 point size to print it out.

Love Evernote, but this is a really annoying bug.

Thanks

+1 more for EN zoom in Windows.  

This is a critical feature.  Because of the lack of this feature, I mostly click on the original web link and read the original article rather than reading my notes/clips and Evernote because I cannot control Evernote zooming.

I also need a zoom feature that I can use.  I stored some census records in .jpg format and cannot read them at all.  Storing them with Evernote it seems is not a good way to be able to refer to material like that in the future.  I would like to be able to zoom into a .jpg sufficiently to be able to see the detail on the census form.

As a new evernote user - I was stunned to scan in a receipt and then find that its too big to easily read and horror of horrors - you can't even zoom out to see it all at once? ouch.  Double ouch that this request seems to go back several years? Hmmm - maybe it's good I only signed up for a month... 

Please add a note zoom feature to Evernote Mac.  It would also be great to define the size that images are displayed in a given note without having to resize the stored image.  At the moment it is nearly impossible to print a note with images embedded.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at how Android handles it. What types of notes do you have with lots of pictures? How big are your notes usually?

I create step by step notes that are a combination of text and images - for processes that I want to do perfectly in order in the future. Many times my images are charts (with many small details). I want to be able to read step 1 through step .. 17 without having massive images, but would like to quickly zoom in on a specific image in order to look at one small detail, then zoom out and continue going through my steps. 

Does that make sense? 

I'd really like to see text zooming in the Windows version.

I very often use control-mousewheel or control-+/- to zoom text (without changing the font), so I'm constantly aware of the fact that this very common feature is missing.

If this were a text editor, like Notepad++, I could understand. But Evernote combines many different types of content pasted from many different sources with different sized fonts, image sizes (which can't be resized?), etc, so a lack of zooming can be frustrating.

I've been using OneNote for a while, and this is something that's making it hard to switch to Evernote.

• Level 5*

dlu, the Mac standard for zoom is CMD++ and CMD+-

Zoom is not supported by all apps, but AFAIK all of those that do use this KB shortcut.

For sure this is used by all of the Browsers and Adobe Acrobat, and Outlook 2011

All of the MS Office 2011 apps have a "Zoom" dropdown box.

I think for EN this would be much like the Browser zoom, where EN would zoom the text & images in the Note contents.

Just to be clear, this does NOT change the actual font size or image size that is stored.

This would be a cool EN feature, but would be low on my priority list.

Just to support all these, and many other posts, please add a zoom function to Evernote. I love using the iPad and desktop version, but it is so frustrating to have no zoom function. What a gaping whole in the package.

And doesn't anyone from the Evernote Team actually ever acknowledge these requests or give an indication that they've heard what their customers are telling them??

I love Evernote. I'm an Evernote evangelist. But it is shocking that I have more ability to manipulate the text in this reply box than I do on Evernote for IOS.

Even crazier is that I cannot make my desktop readable without changing the font, which is a drag, since you have to remember to change it back before doing anything else with it. Please, please, Evernote, don't make me put my premium dollars elsewhere!

Hi, I just want to support the petition. I want to pay for premium Evernote but first I want to see the full functionality of it and the full accessibility through all my devices. I am learning to use Evernote and I find it fascinating, but still very basic features are missing. The capacity of zooming in and out is very important, specially in Mac devices the pinch-in and pinch-out simplicity of trackpad and iOS makes our life much better and our eyes happier. It cannot be that the only solution is to change font size... then what do we do in iPad where we cannot manipulate the font?

So I see two important things:

1. Zoom in all Evernote versions (Mac (desktop) and iOS (iPhone/iPad)

2. Font manipulation in iOS (it is really annoying not to be able to change color and size of headers, lists, footnotes for pictures, etc.) I use Evernote to take notes in class and many times I need colors to identify who said what during the conversations, bold and italics is not good enough... and of course with the ability to change size of letter we could work around the lack of Zoom.

Thanks for working this out, its more than a year that the conversation started, when can we see some results?

These are some old posts.  I love the continual improvement Evernote has made and I am a devoted/paid user.  But could really use some help with my aging eyes.  An overall zoom that can make things bigger without having to play with fonts (that only address the notes anyway).  PLEASE?  

Please add the ability to zoom (enlarge) the view of an evernote screen without having to enlarge the font size. On a Mac, this is usually done by hitting command/+ (enarge view) and command/- (shrink view).

These enlarge everything, not just the text. It would be great if this would work across all platforms. 

Most Mac tools allow this, btw.

Currently I must enlarge the FONT to about 17 in order to read the screen, then decrease it to a normal 12 point size to print it out.

Love Evernote, but this is a really annoying bug.

Thanks

I use high res screens with my Mac and standard font sizes across the app can often be difficult to work with.  I do really wish we had an overall Zoom that could enlarge everything without have to make fonts bigger/ 

• Level 5*

This is a user forum, Evernote staff do apparently read most posts but there is no guarantee that they will or should respond. If you want to talk directly to Evernote you should open a support ticket.

Seriously no zoom? For anyone who is serious about note taking this is a must, not an option. I love Evernote, but it's simply becoming more difficult to constantly change font sizes from Evernote to Word, especially when I have around 100+ notes I'm referring to. My energy needs to be spent on my thesis not trying to remember to edit font size.

I agree. Having a 27" monitor and 60 year old eyes makes the small text very hard to read. This is really a no brainer function. 

FWIW - I use the accessibility option to zoom.

I can't believe something so important has not been addressed yet.  I just replaced my laptop and because the resolution is 3200x1800, the notes are completely unreadable, and I have very good vision!  It is going to be completely ridiculous if I have to stop using Evernote because it is essentially not compatible with current screen resolution standards.  This should really be at the top of your list, as it is preventing your paying subscribers from using your product at all.  Are you telling me that no one at Evernote uses the Yoga 2 Pro, which Cnet called their favorite laptop of the year, or is it that the Evernote employees do not use Evernote?  This is a rapidly proliferating screen standard, so I really hope you get a zoom feature sooner rather than later.

Archived