Scansnap - pdf & jpeg?

C6REW

HI All,

Just scanned in some docs via the S1300 and noticed they have arrived into Evernote as jpegs, even though my settings are for pdf's!

Checking the Scansnap folder on my computer I see the scanned docs are pdf's in there.

Very odd.

Can anyone advise what if anything I am doing wrong?

Many thanks as always for your help.

Best regards

Chri

• Level 5*

Weird. Try dragging (Copying) an item from your scansnap folder into a new note and see what happens. Also right click on one of the mysterious JPGs and see if you have a "view as an attachment" option. If you select that, what sort of an icon do you get? I've scansnapped a LOT of documents and this never happened to me (yet).

Hi Gazumped,

Very strange indeed!

I have just checked and with a double sided paper two notes are being created in Evernote as jpegs. In the folder on my computer there is only one pdf with both pages in, which is how I told it to create them.

Even more annoying is that the rear side of the paper is orientated portrait when the front is landscape which is correct!

If I drage the pdf into Evernote it is fine as a pdf.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hmmn. Feeling a strange headache coming on.. Don't see how it's possible for scansnap to save a PDF and export a JPG - although when I scan multi-page documents to JPG it is correct that each page comes out as a separate file - I rotate page(s) in any image editor if necessary.

Have a look at the scansnap manager settings - right-click the tray icon and have a look at the ~File option tab. Is that set to PDF? Likewise the ~Application tab: does that show Scan to file / Scan to Evernote?

Irrelevant comment no #401 - the only good thing about JPGs is that you get to see them via the mobile app without having to open the file first. PDFs always require a click to open. I use quite a lot of JPGs for meeting notes, directions - stuff you want to get to quickly.

Hi Gazumped,

Thanks for your comment.

Very odd isn't it?

Definitely got the settings correct in Scansnap manager.

I have checked on line and they are jpegs there as well.

When I get back home I might stop it going to evernote and just change it to save to folder. Then when working only that way, re set it back.

Was hoping that someone would have come across this.

Best regards

Chris

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

I so totally forgot about this thread I had put up!

Just realised that I had the problem, then this thread reminded me I have already asked the question!

So I investigated a bit further and found that there was a setting I had missed on the Scansnap

scansnap.png

Profile in the top right was indeed set for Scan to Evernote, but not with the pdf logo in it as shown here!

All now working as it should.

Best regards

Chris

Hmmn. Feeling a strange headache coming on.. Don't see how it's possible for scansnap to save a PDF and export a JPG - although when I scan multi-page documents to JPG it is correct that each page comes out as a separate file - I rotate page(s) in any image editor if necessary.

Have a look at the scansnap manager settings - right-click the tray icon and have a look at the ~File option tab. Is that set to PDF? Likewise the ~Application tab: does that show Scan to file / Scan to Evernote?

Irrelevant comment no #401 - the only good thing about JPGs is that you get to see them via the mobile app without having to open the file first. PDFs always require a click to open. I use quite a lot of JPGs for meeting notes, directions - stuff you want to get to quickly.

This is a nuisance for me too, I don't understand why EN cannot allow PDFs to be viewed on a mobile device without cl,I king and downloading. It makes me want to use only jpg, but the files are bigger and not as useful.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

It just occurred to me that this might actually be *valuable* behavior, because the web interface will display an attached picture but not an attached pdf.  Do images get ocr and keyword indexing treatment?

That's a whole other bbq..

JPGs are good because they show up in mobile and web applications,  and they are OCRd and indexed pretty quickly - probably because most people use PDFs anyway.

However.

JPGs are - not so good - because they don't get a whole other layer of text that you can download seperately/ you can't copy and paste content/ search highlights tend to be 'approximate' in some cases.

Part of that is down to quality - make sure you save 300DPI versions of your favoured documents.

Of course there's nothing stopping you (except Upload Limits) from saving a PDF and a JPG of some documents...

Archived