Moving a note to a different notebook on iPad

I have looked everywhere and can not fin an answer anywhere to what seems like an obvious question.

I am trying to get started with Evernote. I just moved all of my iPad notes into Evernote. After doing so, I discovered that Evernote has notebooks for organizing things. I logged into the Web interface and created a couple of new notebooks (very odd that you cannot do this from the iPad app!). Now, I am trying to figure out how to move my existing notes into those notebooks. I have tried tapping, dragging, everything, with no success. It I select a note and tap Details, I can see what notebook it is in, but can't change it in any way.

What am I missing? Is it as simple as "Feature not implemented yet" or OS there some non-obvious way to move a note to a different notebook?

Thank you, BurgersNFries! That was definitely not where I would have expected to find the function, but it does work. Now, if that Wdit Note feature would let me edit the date created field as well, I could make my old notes and journal entries have the right date!

Thanks Phil. I will try that workaround next time I am on a desktop computer. For some reason the web interface is broken when accessing it with Safari on the iPad. I can use it to create new notebooks, but it always shows me the contents of the first note, no matter where I tap, and I can't change notebooks.

• Level 5*

Thanks Phil. I will try that workaround next time I am on a desktop computer. For some reason the web interface is broken when accessing it with Safari on the iPad. I can use it to create new notebooks, but it always shows me the contents of the first note, no matter where I tap, and I can't change notebooks.

i've used several browsers on the ipad without any luck. i don't know why, but the evernote website isn't on good terms with ios. the lack of features on the ipad app is a problem that is slowly getting better over time. hopefully, evernote will have a more feature-rich app available on the ipad by the time the ipad 3 comes out :rolleyes:

everyone has their own workflow, and this may not work for you, but i always title my notes as yymmdd keyword keyword keyword. the created search is broken right now anyhow, so it actually turns out to be a much easier way to keep track of things. just use the intitle search to arrange notes. in my case, i make a research journal entry every day (even for future events) and all i have to do is type "intitle:journal" into the search to see a chronological listing of every journal entry.

• 2 months later...

Hi, you can create a new notebook from the pencil too. Simply type the name of the new notebook and tap the plus sign. I have not found a way to mod a notebook the same way as in the windows client though to make it a part of a stack within the iPad interface. Perhaps someone else can suggest.

I have not found a way to mod a notebook the same way as in the windows client though to make it a part of a stack within the iPad interface. Perhaps someone else can suggest.

As has been said many times on the board, stacks are not yet rolled out onto iPad. They will show up eventually. No ETA.

i've used several browsers on the ipad without any luck. i don't know why, but the evernote website isn't on good terms with ios.

Oh, don't expect any differences with Appstore app. Apple doesn't allow other browser engine, meaning every ios browsers are safari based (except opera, which works with a server). This is why chrome is not on ios. Perhaps cydia I guess

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You have to go to edit the note first. (Pencil icon at the bottom of the note.)

It's probably me but I don't see a pencil icon at the bottom of the document. To edit I just put my cursor where I want to start editing. I still need to move a document from one notebook to another notebook. Help, please.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thank you, BurgersNFries! That was definitely not where I would have expected to find the function, but it does work. Now, if that Wdit Note feature would let me edit the date created field as well, I could make my old notes and journal entries have the right date!

There's no pencil on the iOS client (there is on the Android one). Just open the note and as RandyWales says above, tap the Information icon (an 'i' in a circle) in the icon row at the top of the note and you can choose the appropriate notebook in the top item of the dropdown menu.

i don't see the pencil icon at the bottom of the note. if I tap on the note there are a series of icons to add additional notes but I don't see anything that looks like a pencil to edit or move the note to another notebook

There's no pencil on the iOS client (there is on the Android one). Just open the note and as RandyWales says above, tap the Information icon (an 'i' in a circle) in the icon row at the top of the note and you can choose the appropriate notebook in the top item of the dropdown menu.

The iOS app was overhauled since this thread was started. They did away with the pencil & now I think you just tap the note to edit.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28665-ios-ipad-difficult-to-edit-notes-now/

• 3 months later...

MANY MANY Thanks Randy Wales

AS POSTED BY Randy...this was driving me crazy!

This is how you move notes between Notebooks on IPAD

1. Select the note.

2. Click the i (information) icon

3. The Notebook setting will show the current Notebook object - click >

4. Select the destination Notebook from the dropdown.

Regards

Randy

• 1 month later...

I have been unable to move a Note from one Notebook to another on my iPad for some time.

Clicking on the 'I' icon on a Note brings up details but there is no right arrow on the Notebook name.

Is anyone else suffering the same problem?

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I have been unable to move a Note from one Notebook to another on my iPad for some time.

Clicking on the 'I' icon on a Note brings up details but there is no right arrow on the Notebook name.

Is anyone else suffering the same problem?

Regards

Chris

Got a screenshot? I've had no problem moving notes.

Hi Grumpy,

Here you go.

As you can see there is no right arrow next to 'Diary - 2013' so I can move the Note.

This is in my Business section, in the Personal section the arrow is there and the Note can be moved.

Best regards

Chris

post-86900-0-56050500-1378973759_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

How do you move them since the huge update? That icon is no longer there.

I noticed the same thing... Now I can't move notes from one notebook to another on the iPad.  I had to go back to my desktop version (at the office) and move it... after adding *another* note to remind me to do it.

It now works properly with Business Notes.

Open the Note and touch the name of the Notebook on the top left. You then have the ability to change Notebooks.

Brilliant.

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

Open the Note and touch the name of the Notebook on the top left. You then have the ability to change Notebooks.

Brilliant.

Regards

Chris

Thank you so much! I was tearing my hair out and blaming ios7!

• 1 month later...

What about notes in "joined notebooks". In the Windows desktop, the drop down at the name of the notebook is not operative in notes in joined notebooks. When I try to move them by dragging and dropping, then sync, they go to "unsynced notes", and any further attempt to move them just puts them back in unsynced notes. Meanwhile, on Evernote Web and on my IPad, the note stays where it originally was. I have also then tried deleting the note in Windows desktop, figuring it would then resync from Web to the original notebook. No such luck....it's gone on the Windows Desktop, but still in the original folder on Web and IPad.

• Level 5*

What about notes in "joined notebooks". In the Windows desktop, the drop down at the name of the notebook is not operative in notes in joined notebooks. When I try to move them by dragging and dropping, then sync, they go to "unsynced notes", and any further attempt to move them just puts them back in unsynced notes. Meanwhile, on Evernote Web and on my IPad, the note stays where it originally was. I have also then tried deleting the note in Windows desktop, figuring it would then resync from Web to the original notebook. No such luck....it's gone on the Windows Desktop, but still in the original folder on Web and IPad.

Hi. I can't speak for Windows, but on the Mac you have to copy, because the notes aren't yours, and you don't have permission to move them (even full permissions won't let you do it). See the video clip here for instructions.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=488

• 4 weeks later...

I have been unable to move notes either in the free version on my ipad. I have none of the icons that are mentioned above. Has anyone figured out how to do this? I would love to organise my notes i have so many.

I have just managed to move notes just after i posted the above.

Open note

Underneath the title it says???notebook>more

Click on name of notebook

That brings up a listof notebooks

Tick the notbook you wish to use

Then choose Done on your note.

Hope this works for others.

I have been unable to move notes either in the free version on my ipad. I have none of the icons that are mentioned above. Has anyone figured out how to do this? I would love to organise my notes i have so many.

I have just managed to move notes just after i posted the above.

Open note

Underneath the title it says???notebook>more

Click on name of notebook

That brings up a listof notebooks

Tick the notbook you wish to use

Then choose Done on your note.

Hope this works for others.

I don't see any circled "i" icon.....

This thread was started over a year and a half ago. Please read posts 26 on.

Brilliant.

Regards

Chris

• 2 months later...

Archived