(Archived) Coming from Win7 - Display PDFs as single page on Mac?

buckethead

Idea

I just picked up a MacBook Pro and of course first program installed is EN. One thing I have not been able to find out how to do though is change the display on PDFs. In the windows version EN only displayed the front page of a PDF and then gave an option button to page through it. On my Mac it displays every single page and makes for a very long note. Is there a setting/way that I am missing to be able to only show the front page of the PDF on the Mac version?

22 replies to this idea

Whilst I would like to see the difference in pdf display removed (as I go between platforms), I wouldn't want the wrong option to be removed.

My ideal would be to have 'paginated' or 'scrolled' view available in either platform (personally, I prefer the scroll view for most things).

A really nice preference would be to offer a 'mixed' mode, with scrolled for pdfs less than X pages, otherwise paginated.

The default would be set for the application, but could be over-ridden temporarily, or more permanently on a per note or per notebook basis (with 'per note' taking priority over 'per notebook', but a tweak to 'per notebook' producing a 'apply to all notes in this notebook' prompt)

Even though I tend to prefer scrolled view, if the above were the implementation, I think I'd set my default to be 'scroll if 4 pages or fewer, otherwise paginate' .... but I have quite a few pdfs for which I'd rather set to scroll by default (e.g. where I have data across page boundaries, and pagination is a pain).

If we only had the choice to 'scroll or paginate', I'd set to scroll on windows and mac (though I'd hope there'd be a right click option to change temporarily).

This thread has been cold a while, but I'd like to renew the OP's call for the ability to view only the first page of an attached PDF. I've been finding evernote very convenient for syncing a datasheet library between my computer and mobile devices and often all I need to look at is the first page, but with the option to look at more later. The ability to preview the first page inline would significantly enhace usability for me!

• Level 5*

I'm interested that you turn your computer off but that's a whole other conversation.

First thing I'd do is upgrade to the latest 3.0.6, it's Production now. Does sound like something weird is going on with your installation so the upgrade may just fix it (new executable and all that...).

• Level 5*

good to hear Grumpster, that permissions thing is pretty useful to know.

Now, did someone mention heavenly Marmite?

ugh. no marmite yet. i could have sworn this was working for me yesterday, but i turn on the computer today and all of my pdfs are showing up. changing to inline or attachments does nothing. i wonder if it has anything to do with this view "new" stuff as attachments wording. so frustrating. what do you think happened to me? (snow leopard, Evernote Version 3.0.6 Beta 3 (219910)).

The technology we have for Mac and Windows is really different, so that's the main reason why they look and behave differently. For long PDF's the Mac way is a pain. For shorter ones, I think its pretty useful. I'm not sure when we'll circle back to PDFs, but that's something we have discussed.

Understanding the tech is different so they can not be identical. It would be great if PDFs were looked at sooner rather than later for the Mac.

The technology we have for Mac and Windows is really different, so that's the main reason why they look and behave differently. For long PDF's the Mac way is a pain. For shorter ones, I think its pretty useful. I'm not sure when we'll circle back to PDFs, but that's something we have discussed.

• Level 5*

i agree with the op about the mac app being less than ideal. personally, i loathe the current setup in mac. you are forced to view the entire pdf in each note. i have 8gb ram and an i5 sandy bridge processor in a macbook pro and i still get beachballed every single time i click on a note. i am not exaggerating. every time. i just looked at a 4mb pdf and got beachballed. it has gotten to the point that i avoid looking at many of my notes (i have lots of pdfs).

yes, you can do quick view, but only after you have been beachballed.

yes, you can view the pdf as an attachment, but only after you have been beachballed.

i don't know what super-powered macs the development team were using when they changed this feature (last spring?), but the only thing that has kept me from flinging the computer across the room has been my organizing scheme. i almost never put notes together with a pdf. the pdf goes in one file and my notes go in another. i have been doing this for years, and my quirky approach has fortuitously spared me from many of the problems.

I would recommend this (separating pdfs from comments) as a workaround for the problem (do the developers consider it to be a problem?). They still show up in searches, they look fine on the ipad (displays the icon), and they are in one place for easy reference if you absolutely must view them.

• Level 5*

I've no idea if they are looking at adding that functionality, but given that OS X supports Quick Look for so many file formats I think it's unlikely that Evernote will add similar stuff.

Is there a way to make the PDFs view as an attachment to existing notes? I have checked that option under clipping; however, a couple of notes that have long PDFs did not appear as attachments. Would like to retro it to already created notes if possible.

Has there been any requests/discussion on the Mac side about having the option to view it like the Windows side? Much cleaner shorter and easier to read notes. The ability to page through PDFs instead of displaying ALL pages is very nice.

Archived