Scan Snap 1300

Karlick25

What is the easiest way to scan documents to Evernote with Scan Snap? I've been scanning into the Scan Snap folder and copying and pasting into an EN notebook. Is there an easier way?

Do you OCR the doc within the Scan Snap program, then copy it over? I tried to email to my EN email, but I'm not seeing it hit my account.

Not sure how everone is getting their pdf's into EN. Any help would be appreciated!

• Level 5*

i like redundancy.

i scan, ocr, save into a folder, and at the end of my evernote month i drag them into evernote. this way i have six copies. two on my local disk (evernote database and documents folder), two in my physical backup (ditto), one in my cloud backup (documents folder) and one on the cloud in evernote.

• Level 5*

Or you could advise Evernote that the folder on your desktop is an Import Folder (See ~Tools) and any files that go in there will be sucked into the database automatically, using the filename as the header - so be creative with your file names.

Oh, I figured it out. I needed to do an upgrade on Scan Snap. Done! Wow! I LOVE it!!

What is the easiest way to scan documents to Evernote with Scan Snap? I've been scanning into the Scan Snap folder and copying and pasting into an EN notebook. Is there an easier way?

Do you OCR the doc within the Scan Snap program, then copy it over? I tried to email to my EN email, but I'm not seeing it hit my account.

Not sure how everone is getting their pdf's into EN. Any help would be appreciated!

Or you could advise Evernote that the folder on your desktop is an Import Folder (See ~Tools) and any files that go in there will be sucked into the database automatically, using the filename as the header - so be creative with your file names.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, only the Windows client has Import Folder functionality. If I'm wrong on that, someone please school me. What I've done on the past on the Mac is use Hazel (post here: http://www.documentsnap.com/behind-these-paperless-evernote-hazel-eyes/) or a straight up Applescript/Folder Action (post here: http://www.documentsnap.com/ocr-your-scansnap-pdf-before-sending-it-to-evernote/).

Hopefully, someone is going to reply and tell me neither of those are necessary!

• 3 weeks later...

My problem is that the stupid ScanSnap program opens a dialog box at the end of the scan to folder processing. I have to dismiss the dialog before scanning my next document. I just want to leave my computer on, my screen off, and feed a receipt or document through the scanner whenever I want. I can't find a way to automatically bypass this dialog. It's really annoying, and not at all how I expected this to work.

The funny thing... By the time the dialog pops up, the note is already brought in to Evernote using the Import Folder function, and the document is deleted by Evernote. The dialog box is totally useless.

In ScanSnap Manager, look at the Application tab. It sounds like you have it set to "Scan To Folder". Change it to None (Scan To File). I made a video a while ago showing how to do this, though it doesn't talk about Evernote specifically: http://www.documentsnap.com/stop-scansnap-from-prompting-you-when-you-scan/.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like the OP found the answer with an upgrade. Just for anyone else, I have the Mac version of everything and my ScanSnap Manager lets me scan directly to Evernote. Under Application I have Scan to Evernote (Document). In Application Settings I have it Convert to Searchable PDF and All Pages. If you have a high volume you may want to change this.

When I scan documents it drops them into Evernote's default folder (Inbox for me) and I can move them, tag them or rename them as needed. No need for intermediate PDF files on the hard drive.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the OP found the answer with an upgrade. Just for anyone else, I have the Mac version of everything and my ScanSnap Manager lets me scan directly to Evernote. Under Application I have Scan to Evernote (Document). In Application Settings I have it Convert to Searchable PDF and All Pages. If you have a high volume you may want to change this.

When I scan documents it drops them into Evernote's default folder (Inbox for me) and I can move them, tag them or rename them as needed. No need for intermediate PDF files on the hard drive.

I haven't tried the Scan to Evernote feature of my ScanSnap. I choose to scan to local machine and then OCR/optimize using Acrobat Pro prior to EN.

• 3 months later...
In Application Settings I have it Convert to Searchable PDF and All Pages. If you have a high volume you may want to change this.

Hello everybody,

I have two questions :

1. Why do you select the "Convert to searchable PDF" : doesn't Evernote make all PDF you put in it searchable ? Because going choosing "Convert to searchable PDF" in ScanSnap slows the scanning process.

2. Also, what difference is there between the two options when you do want to configure ScanSnap and have it do a conversion to searchable PDFs ? Because there seems to be two ways to do it :

• Choosing "Scan to Evernote" mode in ScanSnap, and then selecting the box so as to have a searchable PDF files (see scree image #1)

• Choosing "Convert to indexable PDF" in the "File" tab (see screen image #2)

Thanks for your help !

post-60653-0-89501400-1345034555_thumb.j

post-60653-0-19007800-1345034565_thumb.j

• Level 5*

If you check around the Forum you'll find that a lot of Evernoters do their own OCR because you

1. know its been done
  2. can OCR larger files with more pages (Evernote has some limits)
  3. can OCR files going to local storage and/ or passworded, encrypted or just plain 'attached' rather than displayed files. Evernote won't.

The usual process is to scan to folder, then OCR the files in that folder before you move them to an Import Folder, and therefore to Evernote.

An 'indexable PDF' (I believe) means you can mark part of the text and only that portion of text will get used as an 'index' for the file - sort of like automatic metadata. Searchable files are better.

Edit: Sorry, I believe Evernote will index an attached file, but it won't touch the others...

Archived