HOWTO: Save emails to Evernote

kevin.szmir

Idea

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Evernote and I have desperately tried to find an easy way to save some precious mails to my Evernote account.

Is there a simple way to install an add-on to Mail for Mac, in order to save the email directly onto my notebook, just like for Microsoft Outlook?

I find myself only able to drap and drop the text onto a new note, and manually add the details (from, to, subject, date, ...)

I'm using gmail online as well, if that can help anyone to give me tips...

Thanks a lot!

29 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees

You can find info on how to email into Evernote here: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23480523

The article highlights how to locate your Evernote email address, Auto-Filing Emails, etc. 

You can also email notes directly into notes, notebooks, and tags using your email subject line: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/39521667

• Level 5*

@charboyd:  Those are really great KB articles, especially the 2nd one.

You guys should provide an option to subscribe to the KB, so we can get notified when new articles are entered, and existing ones are changed.

Re Harry's post below, I can't seem to make the @ and # work most of the time.  The forwards mostly end up in the default Notebook.  

>>>> Forwarding

Each Evernote account comes with an email address. You can forward messages to this email address, and they will be placed in the default notebook. Using ‘@’ and ‘#’, you can send it to a specific notebook or add tags.

Just drag and drop the email directly into the Evernote folder of your choice. It doesn't actually "save" it there, but it does place a note that when you click on it, it opens the email. Not too good for keyword search other than what is on the Subject line, but still can be useful.

I am guessing that pdgahl already knew the answer

No, using Mail myself, it was just a qualified guess :)

My way of working around this problem so far have been to send the mails separately and then merge them in Evernote (most often, I do this as the conversation unfolds, though). But I agree that the new clipper is a far better solution if you need to do it post factum.

• Level 5*

OK. BvH and I have been in touch privately and I think we have figured out what is happening (I am guessing that pdgahl already knew the answer). BvH wants to take a thread containing multiple emails and forward that to Evernote or print it as a PDF. The problem is that his client (AppleMail) does not have this feature, and can only deal with one email at a time, even though the client displays the emails together.

If anyone knows of an email client that can forward threads (multiple emails grouped together), then please let us know. I think pgdahl's suggestion of the beta clipper for Chrome / Gmail is probably going to be the best solution.

• Level 5*

Sorry, i can't find the answer i need. (apple mail a complete discussion to evernote)

See the screenshot. The 2 tells there are two mails related. I can't get those two (complete) to Evernote. It doesn't work by forwarding it to te Evernote mail address, It doesn't work with the, by the way fantastic, Veritrope script or by printing the discussion to PDF and import it in Evernote. Anyone has a answer ? Thanks !

Bart

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I am afraid I cannot answer your question, because I cannot see the screenshots. Please note that there are email limits (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169), and these might prevent you from forwarding the emails. I use a slightly different method of getting emails into Evernote working on the theory that it is better to conserve note sizes and that I am usually more interested in the content of an email than the attachment.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=394

Sorry, i can't find the answer i need. (apple mail a complete discussion to evernote)

See the screenshot. The 2 tells there are two mails related. I can't get those two (complete) to Evernote. It doesn't work by forwarding it to te Evernote mail address, It doesn't work with the, by the way fantastic, Veritrope script or by printing the discussion to PDF and import it in Evernote. Anyone has a answer ? Thanks !

Bart 

There do not seem to be any screenshots available.

Anyways, the new beta clipper for Chrome enables you to clip an entire conversation from Gmail. Of course, it won't do you much good unless you're using Gmail.

Just found this works really well just need to chose notebook

1. Select multiple messages in mail.

2. Command-P

3. In the lower left you’ll see a PDF button, which basically converts your mail into a PDF. Clicking on this button unleashes some options, one of which is PDF to Evernote.

4. All these things immediately chirp up as separate notes in EN.

A Simple way to save Emails to Evernote in Mac Mail

1. Download this version of Evernote: (The version I had would not save an email like this version does.)

PROBABLY BEST TO SYNC YOUR WORK BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

2. Drag the highlighted email from your list of emails to the Evernote icon/shortcut in the bottom dock of your mac.

3. A new note will open with the email in it and you may select the notebook in which to place it.

This version also allows you to print an email to a pdf and save in Evernote:

Command P

select PDF

select Save PDF to Evernote

Email opens in a new note,

Select the notebook it goes in.

You could also use ifttt.com to create a task for: if I star an email in Gmail, then send it to Evernote. I use that task often.

I've been using ifttt for sending a few things to Evernote. I'm sure if I had time, I'd be able to find more uses for it. It's a pretty nifty app.

Dedicated clippers.forwarders exist for other programs than Outlook, they're just not necessarily ours:

Apple Mail to Evernote: http://veritrope.com/code/apple-mail-to-evernote/

Mac Outlook to Evernote: http://veritrope.com/code/outlook-2011-to-evernote/

Thunderbird to Evernote:

Postbox to Evernote: http://support.postbox-inc.com/entries/20619626-using-postbox-with-evernote

I think the original intent of the post was missed by everyone. The methods that were mentioned are all what I would call a "work around". Forwarding messages is a terrible way to accomplish the task, and it's not secure.

The OP is about emails. Forwarding emails is no less secure than sending them in the first place.

What the original intent was, I believe, was a plug-in to Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc... that would allow the user to highlight an email, click a button on a toolbar, enter a notebook and tags, and hit Go. Like Microsoft Outlook, he said. Why does MS Outlook have this, but no other client? Not everyone uses MS Outlook, especially at its cost.

That may have been OP's intent, but AFAIK, the only plug in is Outlook & so there are other, easy & free options such as forwarding emails. And, as DLU said, gmail is great about auto forwarding emails. Even my ISP allows auto forwarding. I have all my emails from work & my husband auto forwarded to Evernote. Works great.

I use Act-On (http://indev.ca/MailActOn.html) to move emails to Evernote with only 2 keystrokes. I have an Act-On rule to redirect (not forward, which adds the nasty quote level characters) the selected email(s) to my Evernote email address. I also have the rule move the original email into a storage folder so it doesn't get deleted altogether. Some of the meta information doesn't end up in Evernote, so that way I can always access the original email.

• Level 5*
I do not see why an email just cannot be copied and pasted into a new note in Evernote.

An email is NOT just a page of text and images like a web page. It is actually record or file with a complicated structure, with fields for things like From, To, Subject, and of course, the email body. So, the receiving app (Evernote) does not know how to decode this structure.

Of course, it is up to the source app (Mail.app) to put on the Mac Clipboard the data in a format that can be understood by other apps.

I thought I was a fairly sophisticated Mac user but perhaps I am a dummy. I do not see why an email just cannot be copied and pasted into a new note in Evernote. I have done this many times before. It also allows me to bold, underline, color anything in that email. Another possibility is why not use the Command-P and print the email to Evernote? This is possibly with other apps like Acrobat, Papers, Sente, etc. If Evernote could aid in creating a contextual menu item to support this then an easier solution would be possible.

• Level 5*

I think the original intent of the post was missed by everyone. The methods that were mentioned are all what I would call a "work around". Forwarding messages is a terrible way to accomplish the task, and it's not secure. So forwarding email to get it back to Evernote, is a bit like taking a freeway around a town to go from the North to the South, rather than taking a thoroughfare that goes straight North to South. But, then if there IS no straight thoroughfare...

Currently there is no method provided by Evernote to copy email from any Mac email client (Mail.app, Outlook, Entourage, etc).

This feature has been requested a number of times, for quite a while.

Evernote has not given any indication that they will provide such a feature.

Therefore, for the foreseeable future, the ONLY way to copy email on the Mac into Evernote is via the methods provided above.

For me, simply forwarding the msg to my Evernote account works fast, and is as secure as any mail system.

Like Microsoft Outlook, he said. Why does MS Outlook have this, but no other client? Not everyone uses MS Outlook, especially at its cost. If Evernote provides a product on the Mac, it's time they start taking that mission seriously and provide the same functionality as the Windows' offering. That should include an out-of-the-box (or at least easy add-on) to the native Email client, Apple Mail.

I am pretty sure Evernote does not provide this functionality for Windows in the first place, it's a free add-on for Outlook available from the trunk.

Anyways, as you can tell, most of us believe in just forwarding or re-directing the mail to Evernote. An alternative which works on Mail.app is just highlighting the mail from the list, copy it (⌘C) and paste it directly into Evernote with ⌃⌘V. Another alternative is to simply print the email to Evernote (by way of choose "Save as PDF in Evernote" in the print dialogue...

I think the original intent of the post was missed by everyone. The methods that were mentioned are all what I would call a "work around". Forwarding messages is a terrible way to accomplish the task, and it's not secure. So forwarding email to get it back to Evernote, is a bit like taking a freeway around a town to go from the North to the South, rather than taking a thoroughfare that goes straight North to South. But, then if there IS no straight thoroughfare...

What the original intent was, I believe, was a plug-in to Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc... that would allow the user to highlight an email, click a button on a toolbar, enter a notebook and tags, and hit Go. Like Microsoft Outlook, he said. Why does MS Outlook have this, but no other client? Not everyone uses MS Outlook, especially at its cost. If Evernote provides a product on the Mac, it's time they start taking that mission seriously and provide the same functionality as the Windows' offering. That should include an out-of-the-box (or at least easy add-on) to the native Email client, Apple Mail. I'm pretty sure this message isn't the first one on this subject of providing equality of functionality for Mac. I've seen way too many already!

If you go into your gmail settings on the web you can add an email to forward too - your evernote email - and get all or some emails sent to your evernote. I have various newsletters get sent to directly to Evernote so i can keep email clean for 'proper' emails and deal with newsletter. The filter can be set to delete or archive or marked as read etc the original email - lots of options to tweak per filter.

And in mac Mail if you sign in on the web or in app preferences you can get emails forwarded to Evernote the same way.

Archived