(Archived) How can I clear format which copied from web page?

haowei

I copy some web page,use ctrl+c,ctrl+v directly.

But I don't want to keep the format sometimes. Maybe I want to clear a part of the page format.

When I use the microsoft word , It provide a "clean format" function.

I want to know if evernote can add this function?

• Level 5

The function is already there:

Copy your website with the usual Ctrl-C.

Then go inside your target EN note, right click, "Paste as text"

(or do Ctrl-Shift-V).

Wern

You can also use that within an existing note:

• Select content
  • Ctrl+C (copy content)
  • Ctrl+Shift+V (paste as text)

Or, if you want something a bit less drastic you can simplify the content

• Select content
  • Ctrl+Space (simplify formatting)

I noticed with the Firefox Add-in, that if I clip to my Windows desktop client, I have fewer options than if I clip to the EN web portal.

These options are only available when clipping to the EverNote Web portal:

Evernote Web Clipper options: Sort notes by Destination notebook for clips

Default notebook

Select: Remember Clipped content styling

Simple, without any styles

Preserve style for text only

Preserve all styles Enable notifications

When enabled, you will be notified whenever a clip has been uploaded. Notifications make it easier for you to view, edit, and share your clips.

Is that because these options haven't been implemented in EverNote WebClipper for Firefox or because of a limitation on the API?

Thinks all of you.

I also want a "clean button" , to clean the words I want.

Because the original web page maybe have a very good format view.

When I copy to the Evernote at once, most of the format is OK,like the original .But some of them is very bad. So I just need to clean the bad ones.

I really don't want to "copy content" at first,then "copy as text" at second and so on. It wastes of time.

Thinks all of you.

I also want a "clean button" , to clean the words I want.

Because the original web page maybe have a very good format view.

When I copy to the Evernote at once, most of the format is OK,like the original .But some of them is very bad. So I just need to clean the bad ones.

I really don't want to "copy content" at first,then "copy as text" at second and so on. It wastes of time.

Am I correct that EN stores an HTML clipped page in HTML?

I haven't found a "source" view in the EN note editor, so I'm just guessing.

If that is correct, it looks like when EN clips, it doesn't bring the externally linked CSS styles with it, so the page layout gets screwed up.

Perhaps, the clipping could be a little bit smarter and either link the note back to the externally linked CSS files or copy the externally linked CSS into the note.

Evernote owns "Clearly" which does a better clipping job. Perhaps, there's some code in "Clearly" that would reduce the work involved.

Here's what I do:

If I'm clipping for research, I have to review the page to determine if it's relevant, I clip a selection so I don't have to go through that page in a note at a later time. Sometimes I clip a selection from the page, clip the entire page to a separate note, and then merge the notes. I try to resist just dumping a lot of pages into EverNote to review later -- unless I happen on something interesting while I'm performing another task.

Many web pages will have a "print" button for the articles on the website. Click print and clip from there.

I clip using the clip add-in. If the formatting is a problem, then I use "Clearly" and clip from there.

I also clip several selections from a single page and then merge the notes.

A VERY USEFUL FEATURE would be "Clip-Append" I select part of a page and clip it so that it's well formatted, then I clip another part of the page and clip-append it to the note I just created on the previous clip. This could even be used when you want to clip selected paragraphs from a multi-page article on a website.

ANOTHER VERY USEFUL FEATURE would be a clip preview so that you can see if the clip is going to store in Notes correctly. If the preview is bad, you select stuff from the page and clip again or use Clearly, which doesn't need a preview since what it does is invariably well-formatted (in my experience). The preview doesn't need an editing feature (unless it's the "simplify" button discussed here).

Thanks for the feedback, we're trying to make our clipper smarter. Often if you clip the whole page, the formatting is pretty good. But if you clip selections, it can get weird. Some of this is because some of the formatting layouts are relative and once you remove it from within the page, it tries to expand or collapse in weird ways.

Thanks for the feedback, we're trying to make our clipper smarter. Often if you clip the whole page, the formatting is pretty good. But if you clip selections, it can get weird. Some of this is because some of the formatting layouts are relative and once you remove it from within the page, it tries to expand or collapse in weird ways.

Interesting.

I seem to have the opposite experience - clipping small bits creates a not that is invariably readable. Clipping an entire page is where I usually run into problems.

BUT - I must say that I'm not interested layout nearly as much as getting the content in a readable form. I have other tools I use if I want an exact copy of a webpage.

• Level 5*
Am I correct that EN stores an HTML clipped page in HTML?

Sorta, kinda. It all needs to be in ENML.

I haven't found a "source" view in the EN note editor, so I'm just guessing.

You can use the ENML editor that Owyn referenced, or you can just export a note to Evernote format (.ENEX) and examine the result (it's a text file).

If that is correct, it looks like when EN clips, it doesn't bring the externally linked CSS styles with it, so the page layout gets screwed up.

Perhaps, the clipping could be a little bit smarter and either link the note back to the externally linked CSS files or copy the externally linked CSS into the note.

Correct. In fact, ENML doesn't support either CSS or the "style" attribute.

• Level 5

I must say that I'm not interested layout nearly as much as getting the content in a readable form. I have other tools I use if I want an exact copy of a webpage.

The Chrome clipper provides options to clip "plain, without any styles" or "preserve style only for text" (in addition to an option to preserve all styles). You may find one of those options more to your liking.

• Level 5

Correct. In fact, ENML doesn't support either CSS or the "style" attribute.

We relaxed the ENML specification to allow the style attribute wherever it would be valid in HTML5. I think that happened in early 2010.

I must say that I'm not interested layout nearly as much as getting the content in a readable form. I have other tools I use if I want an exact copy of a webpage.

The Chrome clipper provides options to clip "plain, without any styles" or "preserve style only for text" (in addition to an option to preserve all styles). You may find one of those options more to your liking.

I have those options, but only when clipping to the Web. When I set it to clip to my EN Windows client, I don't have those options. Is that what you meant or does chrome have the options for clipping to the Windows client. -- That would be the first time I've actually found a reason to install Chrome on my computer.

• Level 5*
We relaxed the ENML specification to allow the style attribute wherever it would be valid in HTML5. I think that happened in early 2010.

Yes, you're right. It's the 'style' element that's verboten. Thanks for the correction.

• 1 year later...

The current Chrome clipper puts code into the note that makes it impossible to apply 'simplify formatting' without introducing double spacing. It makes it worse, not better. The 'remove formatting' is not much better. I wish there was a way of simplifying as in normal notes. 

Archived