When I am done with a project (like really done, not the false done before the other shoe drops) I would like to retain the notebook for future refrence, but not crowd my active list with old stuff. Can I create an "Archive" notebook (local only, not synched) and drop in other notebooks?

• Level 5

You could create an "archive" notebook. But notebooks cannot have sub-notebooks. You can create STACKS, which is a rough substitute for sub-notebooks (a STACK can contain other notebooks).

BUT, it sounds you are too heavyly counting on notebooks in your EN setup. Beginners often create too many notebooks, only to regret it later, as lots of notebooks create a messy setup after the number of your notes is growing. Learn how to use TAGS instead.

Here is a thread which may give you some ideas of what you want to achieve:

Click

• 7 months later...

I think it would be very useful to mark a given notebook (or notebooks) as archived and then have the option to choose whether to include the archived notebooks in searches & tag selection (by having a simple include/exclude archives switch).

I think it would be very useful to mark a given notebook (or notebooks) as archived and then have the option to choose whether to include the archived notebooks in searches & tag selection (by having a simple include/exclude archives switch).

That's already there. (That's what tags are for!) Simply add a tag "archive" & add -tag:archive to your search list.

• 3 months later...

That's already there. (That's what tags are for!) Simply add a tag "archive" & add -tag:archive to your search list.

Agreed (to an extent).

Using a tag IMO makes the day-to-day usage less slick. I'd need to double-up all my saved searches to have separate include & exclude archive versions (unless I'm missing something).

I still think a specific Archive mark would be very useful. I see it working just like deleted notes. Deleted notes are still there but are not included in any searches.

• 2 months later...

Totally agree with the idea of an archive ability - the analogy of the deleted notes is perfect.  I'd love a place to keep notes that I only want to see if I specifically want to.  At the moment I'm using the -tag:archive option and tagging the notes in question, but that's clunky when I want to jump between notebooks.

• 3 months later...

I really want this feature to function like gmail : you can archive notes (or notebooks) to get them out of sight, but can search to find them easily later.

What would be even better is if there was a link within the note view that would pull up all the archived notes that used to be in that folder, but are now hidden because they've been 'archived'. Perhaps this effect could be achieved with a simple show/hide note feature?

For me, the real point here is to prevent clutter of notes within a notebook (or clutter of notebooks within Evernote at large). As a project progresses, my notebooks become full of all the past work I've done, and it creates visual friction when trying to quickly focusing in on what needs my attention now. 

• Level 5*

I really want this feature to function like gmail : you can archive notes (or notebooks) to get them out of sight, but can search to find them easily later.

What would be even better is if there was a link within the note view that would pull up all the archived notes that used to be in that folder, but are now hidden because they've been 'archived'. Perhaps this effect could be achieved with a simple show/hide note feature?

For me, the real point here is to prevent clutter of notes within a notebook (or clutter of notebooks within Evernote at large). As a project progresses, my notebooks become full of all the past work I've done, and it creates visual friction when trying to quickly focusing in on what needs my attention now.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

One solution I have found useful in the past is to use tags. Tag all of your project notes as "archive" and make a saved search that looks for "-tag:archive". Put that saved search into your shortcuts (on the Mac) and all you have to do is click it to get rid of all those notes. The advanced searches + saved searches can be quite handy.

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

One solution I have found useful in the past is to use tags. Tag all of your project notes as "archive" and make a saved search that looks for "-tag:archive". Put that saved search into your shortcuts (on the Mac) and all you have to do is click it to get rid of all those notes. The advanced searches + saved searches can be quite handy.

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321

That's exactly what I do now, but it's definitely just a workaround.  First of all, you have to set it up on every device separately, for those that support it.  Also, unless you remember to enter the same search parameter every time, all searches of your notes will include the "archived" notes.

A solution like the "deleted notes" analogy offered by Heathy65 is what we really need.

Another workaround is to create an archive account & share the notebook with your main account.  When you want to archive notes, move them from your active account to your archive account.  This can be done with free accounts by exporting to enex (from main) & importing to archive.  Or if the archive account is a premium account, you can share the notebook with write permissions.  Then the main account just needs to move the archived notes to the shared notebook & sync.  

Another thing to consider is if the main account is premium & the archived one is not & you want to archive notes larger than the size allowed for free accounts, you will not be able to add those notes to the archive account.  Or if you transfer PDFs that EN OCR'd, you will lose that if you move the PDF to a free account, unless maybe the OCR'd info is retained if you use the export/import enex method.  I haven't tested that.

Another workaround is to create an archive account & share the notebook with your main account.  When you want to archive notes, move them from your active account to your archive account.  This can be done with free accounts by exporting to enex (from main) & importing to archive.  Or if the archive account is a premium account, you can share the notebook with write permissions.  Then the main account just needs to move the archived notes to the shared notebook & sync.  

Another thing to consider is if the main account is premium & the archived one is not & you want to archive notes larger than the size allowed for free accounts, you will not be able to add those notes to the archive account.  Or if you transfer PDFs that EN OCR'd, you will lose that if you move the PDF to a free account, unless maybe the OCR'd info is retained if you use the export/import enex method.  I haven't tested that.

That's a great idea!  I'll try that.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for an archive feature that works like gmail.  OR, if a notebook stack could have sub-notebook stacks I could just create one big archive stack and put all other notebooks underneath that in the structure they currently have.

• 3 months later...

I could really use this archive function too. We run several projects and share the notebooks with different people. And when I am running a customer event Notebook '131101UK - Customer event' with all the notes, invoices, meeting minutes etc. and work with team member 1,2,3  it is useful to archive this for future reference and meanwhile work in '140301UK - Customer event'  with other team members.  

• 2 months later...

+1 for a simple Archive option on folders. Selecting the option would simply hide the folder from top-level views. IMO, notes in archived notebooks would still show up in searches. I think the comparison to archiving in GMail above is pretty accurate.

There are multiple good examples above for why this would be useful. Another example: if one is changing jobs or closing business with a client, then the folder for the job / client should "disappear" from normal views to reduce "visual friction" (@kappadonna - good phrase!) Additionally, it would be nice if *no* other attribute changes for that notebook and the notes contained therein need be made. For some uses, it's good to know that the record of a project / client relationship hasn't been altered since x/y/z date. So maybe also nice to store the last date the option was checked -- then the info on the notebook indicates 'Archived on x/y/z'.

Please add this feature!

• Level 5*

Easiest way to do this right now is to make yourself a separate account, and move your archive notes into it, in whatever notebook structure you desire. You can share folders from the archive account to your current account, if you want convenient access to them.

• 4 months later...

Is there a function that allows users to export notebooks/notes? Then I could keep the exported files on my hard drive and delete them out of Evernote (re-import them if I know that I need to search through them). Like the way iCal works with their calendars? Is that doable?

• Level 5*

Is there a function that allows users to export notebooks/notes? Then I could keep the exported files on my hard drive and delete them out of Evernote (re-import them if I know that I need to search through them). Like the way iCal works with their calendars? Is that doable?

The Windows and Mac Evernote clients allow you to export notes to local storage. In particular, the Windows client allows you to export notebooks in a couple of different formats, Evernote format (ENML, a published XHTML derivative format of Evernote's devising), or HTML (in several variations). The Evernote format would be best suited to what you're asking, as the export is stored in a single .ENEX file, and can be directly imported back into Evernote. For this purpose, I would definitely export on a notebook-by-notebook basis, as notebook names are not retained in the Evernote format. I'm pretty sure that the Mac client can export / import Evernote format as well, though I am not a Mac user.

• 3 months later...

I would also like this feature.  The "-tag:archive" is a workaround at best.  I would prefer to not muddy up my notes with information I no longer find useful immediately.   When I was using OneNote this was easier as I could move whole sections into a special Archive notebook.  With Evernote the tags cross all notebooks so there is no way to filter out other than the search option.  Please add an archive feature that lets you not include tags of archived items unless checked!

• 1 year later...

Hear, hear to this feature request. Is there an official channel for suggestions like this?

I do a lot of audio interviews for work. I usually record the interview in Evernote and take typed notes at the same time. Once I've handed in the assignment, I don't want to delete these text/audio notes in the rare (but not unheard of) case that I ever need to refer back to them. But I don't want them in my "All Notes" view.

An Archive function would great: Get the note out of sight without consigning it to the Trash.

An alternative would be a "Hide Notebook" function. That way, you could create your own Archive notebook and suppress it from general view.

Maybe Evernote is concerned that this would make overcautious, preservationist folks like me more inclined to archive notes instead of deleting them outright? As it stands now, though, I have tons of notes in the Trash that have yet to be deleted, so it's not as if I'm freeing up much space as things stand.

Seems strange that Evernote spent all that time and effort on Peek, Hello, Food, Work Chat, etc. and didn't implement a straightforward and useful feature like this.

• 1 year later...

the -archive tag doesn't allow you to tag a whole notebook so you'd have to go through every single note after a long project to tag them archive. Because there's not native functionality of evernote it's not a simple key press like it is in Gmail.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, im10er said:

the -archive tag doesn't allow you to tag a whole notebook so you'd have to go through every single note after a long project to tag them archive. 

That's true for some platforms.  On the Win/Mac platforms we can select all the notes in a notebook and apply a tag to the group (tested on a Mac)

btw   This is a discussion in the Windows Help Forum.  If anyone is interested in adding their support to the feature request, go to the discussion below.  Voting buuttons are in the top left corner

Archived