(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.0.6 Release Candidate

dlu

Idea

Hello Mac users!

We have a release candidate for 3.0.6 that will go out publicly. We have some bug fixes for the login/registration flow. There's also some bug fixes for the note editing. Please let us know if you find anything.

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here:

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_221382.zip

27 replies to this idea

The shortcuts for bold and italic are working again. Yay.

Still Evernote crashes whenever I try to open the context-menu on an attached PDF. (This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum already without solution.) As it is fully reproducible on my machine, I can't reproduce it on other Macs. Therefore likely a problem with third-party software/configurations. But it keeps me wondering why the context-menu on embedded PDFs works just fine. Shouldn't it be fairly the same?

Glad the shortcuts were fixed for you. Attached vs inline use some different pieces of code, so it makes sense that it breaks sometimes

• Level 5*

Look, we're mind readers! :) Problem solved...

I really liked having the one-click access to add a URL right in the note's toolbar. I frequently clip inspiration from the Web and having to click "info" if I want to add / edit URL is kind of a pain. I liked the old interface where you could single-click on the URL to edit. I am constantly getting taken to my browser because I still click there, but that's not what I want to do!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

This is kind of an old thread, and an old version of the software, so I hope you will download the current version and post this in the thread there as well. I think the new "info" button makes sense, from a certain perspective about streamlining the interface. However, one of the unintended consequences is that it makes some of the basic operations that many of us have come to rely upon (viewing info, making created-date changes, url changes, etc.) much more laborious. I am hoping that the Mac design team will reconsider this move to introducing a popup in place of the direct editing we used to have, and I think if you post in the current thread, they are more likely to see it.

Look, we're mind readers! :) Problem solved...

I really liked having the one-click access to add a URL right in the note's toolbar. I frequently clip inspiration from the Web and having to click "info" if I want to add / edit URL is kind of a pain. I liked the old interface where you could single-click on the URL to edit. I am constantly getting taken to my browser because I still click there, but that's not what I want to do!

The URL should be next to the created and updated dates if you haven't clicked into the note body. We currently show the domain, similar to before.

Thanks. Yes, I had clicked in the note body and didn't realize the URL would be visible once I got out of edit mode.

Overall, I like the new clean look a lot.

But please bring the note's URL back to the note's bar instead of being an additional click away in the Show Note Info popup.

The URL should be next to the created and updated dates if you haven't clicked into the note body. We currently show the domain, similar to before.

If you're on the RC, it is the same as the 3.0.6 GA. Please don't be worried about not being able to update, you just got the latest and greatest earlier than everyone else

• Level 5*

Search for Attributes

The following question was posted, and partially answered, in the Windows forum, but I would like to ask the same question for the EN Mac client:

The search documentation indicates I can search on attributes, for example:

placeName:[string]

What I want to know is where can I view these attributes for a note and where can I set these attributes.

I found this while reviewing API documentation. Are there some search features only available through the API, but not available through the Windows or other EN clients?

There seems to be a small issue with Paste to Evernote which I first noticed in b3.

When a new note is created after pasting to EN, that new note is not selected in the Note list. The previous note remains selected and we have to click to select the new note. This happens even when 'Bring the clip to the front' is selected in Prefs.

Might be my imagination, but wasn't a new note automatically selected when pasting to EN in previous versions?

Looking into it

Checked it behaves that way in the previous RC (3.0.5) too. Going to leave it as is for now

Sorry to do this to you, but another strange anomaly in 3.0.6 RC.

When you clip a window to EN from EN's menubar icon, it clips a blank image, no matter what app you're trying to clip from. Rectangle selections work fine.

Strangely enough, windows clipped from my external monitor also work fine.

I'm on an iMac 21.5" with Lion 10.7.2.

There seems to be a small issue with Paste to Evernote which I first noticed in b3.

When a new note is created after pasting to EN, that new note is not selected in the Note list. The previous note remains selected and we have to click to select the new note. This happens even when 'Bring the clip to the front' is selected in Prefs.

Might be my imagination, but wasn't a new note automatically selected when pasting to EN in previous versions?

Looking into it

The shortcuts for bold and italic are working again. Yay.

Still Evernote crashes whenever I try to open the context-menu on an attached PDF. (This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum already without solution.) As it is fully reproducible on my machine, I can't reproduce it on other Macs. Therefore likely a problem with third-party software/configurations. But it keeps me wondering why the context-menu on embedded PDFs works just fine. Shouldn't it be fairly the same?

Yep, aware of it

Since this is a RC does your response mean that you plan to release 3.0.6 with this bug?

Perhaps...

The UI tab order (data entry order) starts with Note Title, and then Notebook.

As soon as the user changes the Notebook, the Note just created is no longer visible.

In fact, to many new users, it may well appear that the Note is lost or deleted.

Are you not concerned that this bug causes major issues:

1. Major confusion for new users probably means more support cases
  2. Adds confusion and extra work for experienced uses to find the new Note and continue the data entry process

IMO this is a major bug that should be fixed before 3.0.6 is released.

This is rather annoying and a long, longstanding issue that really should have been solved a long time ago. But I might disagree as to whether it holds up a release

• Level 5*

Yep, aware of it

Since this is a RC does your response mean that you plan to release 3.0.6 with this bug?

Perhaps...

The UI tab order (data entry order) starts with Note Title, and then Notebook.

As soon as the user changes the Notebook, the Note just created is no longer visible.

In fact, to many new users, it may well appear that the Note is lost or deleted.

Are you not concerned that this bug causes major issues:

1. Major confusion for new users probably means more support cases
  2. Adds confusion and extra work for experienced uses to find the new Note and continue the data entry process

IMO this is a major bug that should be fixed before 3.0.6 is released.

Well, since you did NOT publish a list of bugs that you have fixed, it would seem appropriate.

Is there some problem with listing bugs that we find?

Nope, feel free.

• Level 5*

ps. Am I going to get a post for every single bug not yet fixed?

Well, since you did NOT publish a list of bugs that you have fixed, it would seem appropriate.

Is there some problem with listing bugs that we find?

As reported in the EN Mac 3.0.6 Beta 2, the Note popover is STILL very hard to read because of:

1. Popover transparency
  2. Field captions are in grey and small text

Here's a screenshot from 3.0.6 RC:

EN_Mac_3.0.6..RC_Popover.png

This looks much better than the screenshot you had sent for the beta 3. If anyone else has readability issues, feel free to post screenshots. To me, this doesn't look that bad.

ps. Am I going to get a post for every single bug not yet fixed?

• Level 5*

The BUG reported with 3.0.6 Beta 3 has NOT been fixed:

3.0.6 B3 BUG Report

A new note disappears from the screen (but is still in the DB) as soon as the Notebook is changed.

This makes entering a new note quite a challenge. :-)

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Click "All Notes" icon to ensure that all Notes are shown.
  2. Click "New Note" icon
  3. Enter title
  4. Change Notebook on Note form

The new Note disappears from both the Note body panel, and from the Snippet view list.

Click "All Notes" again to see the new Note in the list.

FIX: Obviously, changing the Notebook when creating a new Note should NOT cause the Note to disappear.

This is a very common use case.

Archived