HOWTO: View image files as attachments instead of inline

cope360

Idea

43 replies to this idea

Please - View as Attachment to images would be great!

Also, View All as Attachment(s) would be great!

both features are practically essential, if you ask me.

It is extremely hard to work with pictures without allowing for thumbnails (resize) or "view as attachment" - as the large images make it impossible to actually work. On the other hand, adding smaller versions of the pictures is also impossible, as it causes loss of data.

B.

I found a dirty hack. You change the extension of the picture before dropping in Evernote. It will appear as an external file and then you can change the extension back with "Rename attachment..." and it will work as any other file.

You can change the extension on a mac by doing "Get info" on the picture file. Replace the extension after the dot (usually .png or .jpg) by .lol, drag and drop it into evernote, right click + "Rename attachment..." to put back the real extension instead of the .lol

Painful but efficient.

• Like 2

I'd go ahead and request this in a "object attribute" fashion rather than "per app" setting. Would be great for me to have a given attachment/image appearing as icon instead of preview across all Evernote clients once I define that in mac for example. What you think?

Don't get me wrong, I like EverNote, but it's ridiculous how unresponsive they are to simple feature requests such as this...dating back to 2012, seems like every time I run into something that I would like to be able to do with EN I Google it, and there are a lot of other people out there with the same request but it always falls on deaf ears @ EN.

Evernote - really?  You can't respond?  
Every attachment has 3 icons - "Annotate", "Quick View" and "Download".  Can you not create an icon that means "Inline or Icon" that either displays the attachment fully or just a placeholder. 

Ideally, this is also an icon at the top of the note - or in the menus - that lets me do all attachments in a note at once.  

And Preferences - perhaps I want JPG to display Inline always, but Word, PDF, to always be the icon representation.

• Level 5*

This is a user forum, Evernote staff apparently read pretty much everything but there's no obligation for them to contribute. They very very rarely discuss whether a change in functionality is coming or not.

• Level 5*

Until/IF Evernote provides a "View Image as Attachment" feature, the best workaround, IMO, is to put the image in a PDF.

Then you have the option to "View Inline" or "Show as Attachment".

I would like to be able to view images like JPGs at attachments instead of inline. (The option to change the view is only enabled for certain file types.)

There is a way to enable this for the Windows verison: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20850-showing-photos-as-attachments/.

Is there a way to do the same on the Mac?

You can always hit "Ctrl + K " "Cmd + K for mac"  and paste the file path as a link. Its not the same as having the file as part of the article, but it at least is a click away. 

This would definitely be an appreciated feature to add. Evernote is a great product, but this is the one thing that would greatly improve my workflow, especially for notes I create that reference multiple images. Hopefully the developers are listening! :-)

The fact that they haven't added this feature in years means it may be something hard coded with the way images are captured that makes it a technical challenge to pull off. 

This is still not working in the Mac version. I dont understand what the challenge in implementing this feature is but probably I am not seeing something very very difficult ;-) A kind of workaround is to just resize the image to something reasonable. If you wanna see it in full size, just right click - "Open" or "Open with"

HTH Jojo

12 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

A lot of people asking for this feature but only 5 votes. 

If you wish this feature implemented please help by clicking on the upvote button above. 

It is not a guarantee that it will be implemented but it will definitely stand out from the other requests. 

Good point. Everyone please up-vote this post to get some traction! :-)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, l3oory said:

Six years nobody take care of this? Why it is so hard?

I see it as a question of priorities.  Is this the most important feature request for developers to be working on?

You're welcome to indicate your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner5a6f5a386bae5_ScreenShot2018-01-29at09_29_37.png.3b7ecb377f42ca45c9a69da22a89d0be.png

On 29.1.2018 at 6:30 PM, DTLow said:

I see it as a question of priorities.  Is this the most important feature request for developers to be working on?

It is not acceptable that we pay for a product for years and when we want an error corrected, it is ignored.

The issue is fixed in Evernote for Windows, and now the developers should fix this issue for Mac as well.

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-04 at 1:09 AM, hakont said:

we pay for a product for years

There is no charge for the software

>>when we want an error corrected

This particular request is for a change to one of the features

You can influence development priorities using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.  This request has 16 votes

Evernote as worst as ever! This has been requested in 2012 and it is 2019 and it has NOT been implemented. I have been a paying evernote customer since for at least five years and this are the kind of issues that make me think twice about keeping my subscription active. Please do this ASAP!

Regards, HC

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, hernanc said:

Evernote as worst as ever!

I see Evernote being the same as ever, showing no interest in implementing an attachment view for images.
If this is important to you, you can switch the format to pdf; inline/attachment view is supported.

I agree with people here. i would like to have the attachment view of Images. When i am making photos of my bills its saved as image. Then i have to have many notes because inline view makes the scrolling long.

Thanks for reconsidering.