Chapters/Tags in Evernote Notebooks

dahadaller

There should be some way to divide notebooks into chapters or sort their contents by tab because, while I use search, there are times where I have to study for tests with un specified content. I it would be nice if i could sort the notes by chapter in the notebook pane or use the tags to mark chapters which could be sorted out in the search pane. (And yes i know there are alredy tags I just want to be able to sort by tag)

• Level 5*

Notes are the analogues to chapters in Evernote, given that they're the highest divisions of notebooks. If you want to give them nice titles that suggest chapter names, you can do that yourself, and sort by title. You can also sort by tag, but that's not all that useful if your notes have multiple tags.

Other than that, your post is too unspecific to be able to help you that much.

There should be some way to divide notebooks into chapters or sort their contents by tab because, while I use search, there are times where I have to study for tests with un specified content. I it would be nice if i could sort the notes by chapter in the notebook pane or use the tags to mark chapters which could be sorted out in the search pane. (And yes i know there are alredy tags I just want to be able to sort by tag)

I'm really not catching your drift here. But no, EN does not have chapters b/c it's not a bookwriting tool. It doesn't have tabs like Onenote does. And yes, you can use the tags.

• Level 5

This is where the Stack->Notebook->Note hierarchy could be said to be insufficient. The publications I've been involved in writing have often needed more. But, as others have correctly said, Evernote is not a book writing tool.

Martin

• Level 5*

i think the op is talking about content consumption (the organization of notes according to an already existing schema) as opposed to content creation (changes over time as the project develops). i've found evernote and tags great for the former and rather poor for the latter. in evernote parlance, it is for storing, rather than creating memories.

as far as the op's problem goes, tags out to be more than sufficient. nested tags if the op is so inclined.

• Level 5*

Keep in mind that you can sort by Tags ONLY in EN Win. You can NOT sort by tags in EN Mac, iPhone, iPad, and other platforms.

Even in EN Win, sorting by Tags is not as useful as it might be, especially if you have Tag hierarchies. The Tag hierarchy is ignored.

One approach is:

• Create a Tag for each of your books or study subjects
  • Assign this Tag to each Note associated with that book/subject
  • Create one Note for each Chapter
  • Create the Note Title with a naming convention something like: "C01 - <title>"
    • The "C" denotes "Chapter" (you might later want to add other divisions like Part, Section, etc)
    • The "01" is the Chapter number, left padded with a zero so that Chapters 10 and later will be in proper order (otherwise you end up with "1, 11, 12, 13, ... 2, 21, 22, ,,,)
    • The "<title>" is the title of the chapter

• Level 5*

youcannot sort by tags, but entering a search like tag:chapter1 effectively "sorts" the notes. i tend to make one note per source (textbook, manuscript, monograph, etc) but if you want to make more, the naming conventions suggested by jm would work well.

• Level 5*

yep. you're not splitting hairs. that's why i had sort in scare quotes. i'm focusing here on how the op can achieve the desired result: notes arranged in order according to the chapters of the book being outlined for study. having done this ad nauseum for years, i feel like the tags + searching works quite well. but, of course, everyone has their own workflow, and there is no right /wrong here.

I tend to be a title editor, so I lean to JM's recommendation with one addition.

Add either a unique tag or a unique title prefix to identify all notes related to the publication (or both). My preference, as stated, is to edit the title.

This can be used with either a tag: or intitle: search to see just that publication.

Sort by Title Ascending of course.

• 4 weeks later...

As an alternative to Evernote, if you are really into the chapter kind of thing, you should look at Circus Ponies "Notebook". It is very similar to EN, but with a lot more options for organization. It starts with a "Notebook", then you can divide the notebooks into tabs and even subtabs. Each of these then has notes, clips, audio, video, etc. Nicely, it creates and maintains a table of contents as you go as well as what they call a "multidex" which is a auto index by word, by keyword (=tags in EN), URLs, and more. It's not a cloud solution but does integrate with Dropbox seamlessly. If you are looking for a single solution, that might be more to the liking of those that want more structure without the hassle of creating false tabs, and things like that.

As an alternative to Evernote, if you are really into the chapter kind of thing, you should look at Circus Ponies "Notebook". It is very similar to EN, but with a lot more options for organization. It starts with a "Notebook", then you can divide the notebooks into tabs and even subtabs. Each of these then has notes, clips, audio, video, etc. Nicely, it creates and maintains a table of contents as you go as well as what they call a "multidex" which is a auto index by word, by keyword (=tags in EN), URLs, and more. It's not a cloud solution but does integrate with Dropbox seamlessly. If you are looking for a single solution, that might be more to the liking of those that want more structure without the hassle of creating false tabs, and things like that.

Mac and iPad only.

Archived