Add to Evernote button in Outlook 2011 for Mac, just like Windows?

TuftyMcTavish

Idea

I had a search and I see this gets a few mentions. I was curious why there is no Add to Evernote option in Outlook 2011 for Mac like there is in Outlook 2010 for Windows? Is it a limitation of the Mac version of Outlook, lack of development resources, low uptake or something else?

• I use the Outlook plugin for Windows all the time at work as it lets me set notebook and tags as I'm adding the note to Evernote.
  • I used to use the Thunderbird plugin for Windows at home for the exact same reasons, I added the extra information at the time I archived the email to Evernote. A while back support for this was dropped, much to my frustration as the alternatives at the time were poor. I even reverted my Thunderbird to an old version to continue using it.
  • Nowadays I'm on a Mac and tending to use Outlook 2011 for Mac.

I've installed the useful Veritrope Applescript which gets the job done by adding, silently, entire emails to the default notebook in my Evernote. I then have to flip over to Evernote to update it with additional data. This doesn't sound too big a job but it has changed my workflow. As a consequence of this two-step process my Inbox (previously a pristine ToDo list really) is building up with stuff because I don't think the script plus the swap to Evernote is as quick and efficient as the alternatives I use on other platforms.

I really like the popup dialog at the time I'm adding to Evernote. Is there any way to achieve this for Mac?

8 replies to this idea

A hot scoop just in from Veritrope himself...

You can turn on the tagging box by changing "property tagging_Switch : "OFF" " switch at beginning of script to "ON"! ;)

I just tested this out, having not exactly gandered the script for myself! Changing the default OFF to ON pops up a little dialog box when you next run the script. This lets you type in multiple tags before selecting a notebook. This is very close to what I had before moving to Mac-land.

Link to the script is in the first post for those that haven't tried it out. It's very easy to install and use.

Thanks to Justin for the tweet. Very helpful indeed.

This highly useful script broke for me a few months ago, I think perhaps after an Evernote upgrade. Something about something not being recognised - I never noted down the error. Finally got around to checking to see if there was an update and discovered that the author updated it just a few days ago. Not sure where the problem lay but either way it's fixed and I've been able to catch up with a backlog of mailbox -> Evernote cleaning.

http://veritrope.com/code/outlook-2011-to-evernote/

Wow, it sounds too good to be true. I really would love the ability to move items from my Outlook:Mac:2011 into Evernote, but I am unable to even follow the directions on the linked page. It tells me to save the script to a particular location, but I just can't figure out how to do that! ::sigh::

Well, rumor has it that Outlook for the Mac 2014 will come out in the first half of 2014.

Would be great if EverNote were to bring the functionality it has in Outlook for Windows to the Mac version of Evernote and Outlook.

(Mac presence in corporate environments is growing significantly...)

What are the chances?

Bummer that there is no simple button.

Would love that myself.

Work around for me when I just can't wait to do it on my Windows client is to send (forward) email (from Mac Outlook client) to my Evernote email address (provided when you open Evernote account).

Klugee and formatting not as good as Window client button but at least it gets in there dependably.

I have pretty high confidence that it goes over.

Archived