HELP: Evernote Outlook Email Clipper Missing / Lost after Upgrade

antilles1980

Hi guys,

I just installed 4.0 and in Outlook 2010 I can't get the Evernote Add-in to load:

post-25856-131906067865_thumb.png

I tried ticking the box, but to no avail. Still, I couldn't even see it in the Add-in list with Evernote 3.5, so that's progress!

Other than that, new version looks slick - I only signed up last week though, so I don't have many notes for it to handle!

Cheers,

Ben

Just checked. The add-in was installed and active in Outloo2010, upon first use it crashed and Outlook 2010 proposed to deactivate the add-in.

Obviously not (yet) fully working with Outlook 2010.

(Win 7, Outlook 2010, German versions)

Greetings from Munich, EvB.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded version "Evernote_4.0.0.2880.exe" today and the clipper installed in Outlook 2010 still crashes Outlook 2010 on start-up. Rebooted multiple times and only solution to run Outlook was to remove Evernote, run Outlook, install Evernote while Outlook was running. Open Outlook options and make the Evernote Add In inactive. This same bug was present in the version of Evernote 4.0 I downloaded on Tuesday too.

I'm on a Windows XP, SP3 system with latest MS patches/updates

Slight thread Hijack

the "Add to Evenote 4.0" is working for me in Outlook 2010 for all emails, but does not clip any RSS feeds :( The add to Evenote box is grayed out when viewing any RSS feeds. I would love for the clip feature to work for RSS feeds as I subscribe to several and anytime I find anything interesting I like to save it to Evernote for future reference.

I still can't get the outlook add-in working in Outlook 2010 (MS Office Professional 2010).

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm still getting the same behaviour as in the first post of this thread - it says a runtime error occurred.

I've uninstalled evernote and also done a repair on Outlook, but the add-in still won't work.

It's not that big a deal for me at the moment since I just email things to my evernote email if I want them as notes anyway.

Cheers,

Ben

• 1 month later...

I just received a new computer and Outlook 2010 was pre-loaded on it (Win 7). I used to really like 2007 and Evernote together but now it appears I suffer from the same problem. Outlook 2010 won't load Evernote and complains of a runtime error.

Your help is appreciated - I am going to miss this functionality.

I just heard from support and, so that no one else bangs their head against this problem, here is their current answer:

We apologize for the inconvenience. Currently we do not support 64bit version of outlook.

Thanks,

Anirban

Evernote Support

• 4 weeks later...
I just heard from support and, so that no one else bangs their head against this problem, here is their current answer:

We apologize for the inconvenience. Currently we do not support 64bit version of outlook.

Thanks,

Anirban

Evernote Support

Ouch - very sad news :)

Any info on when they will start supporting the 64bit version? (Hello support - are you listening?)

Lars

• 4 weeks later...

In Outlook, if you navigate to Tools -> Trust Center -> Add-ins, do you see the add-in named "Evernote.Outlook"?

If you do, in the "Manage:" pull down at the bottom of the dialog select "COM Add-ins" and click the Go button.

The "COM Add-ins" dialog should come up. In the dialog make sure that the check box to the left of Evernote.Outlook entry is checked.

Thanks,

Max

I'm having the same problem.

When I look at the plug-ins in Outlook 2010, I see the Evernote.Outlook name, but the locaction is empty. There is no path to the DLL. After clicking manage COM Add-Ins and then highlight the Evernote.Outlook plug-in the load behavior says "Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times, making sure that Outlook was not running. I also tried to manually add the plug-in (EvernoteOL.dll). Nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Hey guys,

I'm having the same trouble as Andy. This installed fine on my PC with Outlook 2010 but on the laptop I got no clipper and evernote.outlook is unchecked and the location is blank. I can check the box but it unchecks itself each time I close the Trust Center/Add-Ins window.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Greetings!

I'm currently running into a problem with Evernote and Office 2010. I'm unable to use the Outlook Add-in, as it fails to load.

Outlook tells me:

Load Behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during hte loading of the COM add-in. (screenshot attached)

post-29788-131906071506_thumb.png

I recently upgraded from Office 2007, where the Evernote add-in worked just fine. However, I can't seem to duplicated that functionality with Office (Outlook) 2010. I don't see any errors in the event viewer related to Evernote and Outlook.

I tried removing and re-installing Evernote.

I tried to manually enable to Add-In in Outlook.

Is there something else / special that I need to do to get Evernote to work with Outlook 2010?

EDIT: Should have mentioned my Evernote Version:

post-29788-131906071506_thumb.png

post-29788-131906071507_thumb.png

I am having the same problem, but I am running Outlook 2007 and EN 4.2.2.3900. When I updated to the latest version, my Outlook Clipper button disappeared. Checked the trust center, but it only has the clipper for version 3.5.

Any way to add it in separately?

lawvol,

Try exiting Outlook, then starting Evernote by using the shortcut in your Programs Menu. This should detect if any installation components are missing and restore them.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Max

lawvol,

Try exiting Outlook, then starting Evernote by using the shortcut in your Programs Menu. This should detect if any installation components are missing and restore them.

Thanks,

Max

Max I tried this, but it didn't seem to help. I suppose I'll just try to re-install EN 4.2.2 again.

I'm having the same problem -- Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Outlook 2007, Evernote 4.2.2.3900 (127835). When I try to activate the add-in, I get the message: "Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In."

Exiting and re-starting Outlook and Evernote does not fix this.

lawvol,

Thanks,

Max

Max I tried this, but it didn't seem to help. I suppose I'll just try to re-install EN 4.2.2 again.

I'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I LIVE BY THIS BUTTON. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS. I EVEN TRIED REBOOTING. IS THERE A WAY TO REVERT TO PREVIOUS INSTALL?

kalnel,

You could try the following:

1. Exit Outlook. Make sure that Outlook.exe process exits completely (you can check that in the Task Manager's Processes tab), if it does not, terminate the process.

2. Win + R to open Run dialog

3. In the Run dialog enter the following and press OK

cmd.exe

4. In the cmd.exe window, change directory to the Evernote installation directory:

cd "c:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote"

5. Unregister Outlook add-on with the following command:

regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

6. Wait for the confirmation dialog and click OK.

7. Re-register Outlook add-on with the following command:

regsvr32.exe EvernoteOL.dll

8. Wait for the confirmation dialog and click OK.

9. Start Outlook and check if the add-on is functional.

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Max

BruceS65,

Please, check if the installation folder (c:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote) contains the file named "EvernoteOL.dll".

You can do that by issuing the following command in your cmd.exe window:

dir EvernoteOL.dll

Thanks,

Max

BruceS65,

Either your installation is corrupted, or "c:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote" is not the install location.

You can check the install location by issuing the following command in the cmd.exe window:

reg query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{F761359C-9CED-45AE-9A51-9D6605CD55C4} /v InstallLocation

You can copy it from here and paste into the cmd.exe window by right-clicking on it and choosing the paste option.

Thanks,

Max

BruceS65,

Either way: the new version will do the uninstall of your current version anyway.

Just make sure that Outlook is not running during the uninstall/install.

Please, let me know if you still experience the problem after installing the new version.

Thanks,

Max

After some poking about, I discovered that I needed to go into the Outlook trust center and disable the old clipper. Then (after having done what Max suggested above: a clean restart of EN 4.2) I found that the clipper appeared as a disabled add-on in Outlook. From there, I simply enabled it and I was good to go...

All, FWIW, none of the above worked for me. However, I kept finding that XOBNI, which I had "removed," kept showing back up, while the Evernote Add In would not function. I removed XOBNI entirely (uninstall program), went back and checked Evernote Clipper in the Outlook add in manager, and voila (!), problem solved.

I don't know what the conflict is with XOBNI and 4.2.1 - I did not have the problem with earlier versions of Evernote. I don't know what version of XOBNI I had, as it's now uninstalled.

Hope this may help someone out there. I am delighted to have my Evernote Clipper back in Outlook!

Hank

Hello,

I had a strange Outlook crash and got a message saying it was caused by the EN Addin. Then asked if I wanted to disable it. I stupidly said "yes".

Now I can't re-enable it. When I look in Tools->Trust Center->Add-ins it is in the "Inactive Application Add-ins" section.

If I select it and go to COM Add-ins, it is unchecked. If I check it and click OK, it stays unchecked.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling EN. No luck.

Help?!

I really want my add to EN button back in Outlook.

Jeff

• Level 5*

I had the same problem - I think what I did was to remove the add-in in the trust center. In OL 2010, that is "Manage add-ins". Then I think I reinstalled EN and the clipper function was restored. My problem is that I have installed new versions so many times I forget exactly how I got that functionality back. Just know it is there now!

Try enabling disabled item:

Outlook 2003: Help-> About…-> button Disabled Items…

Outlook 2007: Help-> Disabled Items…

Outlook 2010: File-> section Options-> section Add-ins-> drop down list Manage-> Disabled Items-> button Go…

Thanks,

Max

Thanks everyone. I finally figured it out.

Outlook->Trust Center->Add-ins->

Just above the "Manage" dropdown at the bottom, there is a check box for:

"Apply macro security settings to the installed add-ins"

Somehow, that was checked for me, so no matter what I tried to change, it was reverting back to the macro security settings.

I unchecked that and was able to reactivate the EN plugin again!

Jeff :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having this problem, too. A few updates ago (I can't say which), I lost the Outlook clipper. I was hoping it would show up again, with a later update. But so far, nope.

It doesn't show up in Outlook/help/about/disabled items. It doesn't show up in Outlook/tools/options/advanced/com add ins.

I've uninstalled EN & reinstalled it. (Making sure no EN or Outlook processes are running by checking the process tab in task manager.)

I tried this:

kalnel,

You could try the following:

1. Exit Outlook. Make sure that Outlook.exe process exits completely (you can check that in the Task Manager's Processes tab), if it does not, terminate the process.

2. Win + R to open Run dialog

3. In the Run dialog enter the following and press OK

cmd.exe

4. In the cmd.exe window, change directory to the Evernote installation directory:

cd "c:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote"

5. Unregister Outlook add-on with the following command:

regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

6. Wait for the confirmation dialog and click OK.

7. Re-register Outlook add-on with the following command:

regsvr32.exe EvernoteOL.dll

8. Wait for the confirmation dialog and click OK.

9. Start Outlook and check if the add-on is functional.

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Max

I got the messages that the dllunregister succeeded & the dllregister succeeded.

And I've tried this:

lawvol,

Thanks,

Max

I'm now at the most recent release (4.3.0.4330) I can't spend any more time on this today, but thought I'd mention it. I have many emails I'm wanting to send to Evernote, so hopefully I can get this resolved in the next week.

Windows XP SP3, Outlook 2003.

chimoose,

When you try to register or unregister the DLL on Vista or Windows 7, you have to run cmd.exe as an administrator.

To do so, just type cmd.exe in the Start->Search box and when cmd.exe is located right click on it and select "Run as administrator"

Thanks,

Max

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing just happened to me when I installed Evernote 4.3.1. I am running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6555.5000) and Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647 : Service Pack 3). Can someone help?

In Outlook 2007, please

1. Navigate to Tools -> Trust Center.

2. Click on Add-Ins button on the left side of the Trust Center window.

3. On the Add-ins tab, locate a pull-down called "Manage:" and select "COM Add-ins" in the list, then press the "Go" button.

4. In the COM Add-ins window locate the entry "Evernote.Outlook"

5. If you've located the entry, make sure the check box to the left of it is checked.

6. If the entry is not present, then something went wrong during the installation. In this case:

a. Please, exit Outlook and Evernote completely and then start Evernote from the shortcut located in the Start->All Programs->Evernote->Evernote

This may fix the problem by restoring certain registry entries.

b. If a. does not help, try reinstalling Evernote.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Max

There are two things I have noticed:

1. If the Add-in is only inactive it can be reactivated from the "manage add-ins" dialog.

2. If not you can forward email content directly two Evernote by sending to your personalized EV email address that can be found within the dialog box launched by the "Tools->Account Info" menu.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a million! That finally fixed it (after I restarted Outlook)

Try enabling disabled item:

Outlook 2003: Help-> About…-> button Disabled Items…

Outlook 2007: Help-> Disabled Items…

Outlook 2010: File-> section Options-> section Add-ins-> drop down list Manage-> Disabled Items-> button Go…

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am having this issue as well, however here are the differences:

Outlook 2007

Windows XP

Evernote add in appears in the "disabled" area, and re-enabling it refuses to let Outlook load until a reboot.

This has happened off and on in the past, it was always fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling evernote. This time, it's not working (have tried several times). No 64 bit anything on that computer. Are there other potential conflicts? I used this functionality many times a day when it was working and find I miss it terribly.

Thank you for any assistance!

I'm running Win 7, Outlook 2010 32 bit, and the latest release of EN 4.1. My Outlook clipper disappeared yesterday, and the Outlook dialogue now shows that the clipper (EvernoteOL.dll, correct?) has been disabled. When I put a check mark in the Evernote.Outlook add-in box, it doesn't seem to take. The EN clipper doesn't appear, and the box for the add-in has disappeared the next time I look for it. EN Support told me to go to the Trust Center and make sure that "notification of all macros is selected." It is. I've uninstalled and reinstalled EN several times. No dice. Then EN Support suggests I may actually have Outlook 2010 64 bit. I don't! I've been forwarding my emails to my EN address, but that's a bad workaround because the authors name isn't recorded, and because of all the tagging I do. (Yes, I know I can include tags in the email subject line, if only I could memorize them all!) Suggestions, please. Thanks.

I'm having the same problem, with the following setup: Win XP SP 3, Outlook 2007 32-bit, EN 4.4.0.4848 (154247) Public Release. The Outlook toolbar buttons have disappeared. Is there a way to get them back? I usually prefer to use a toolbar button to send a message to EN, rather than actually emailing the message to EN.

Thanks, guys!

Just found the solution. In the Outlook add-ins dialogue, instead of accessing the COM add-ins and checking the box for the EN add-in, I accessed "disabled add-ins," highlighted the EN add-in, and clicked "enable." Then I closed and reopened Outlook. The EN add-in reappeared. I found the solution myself, but the good folks at Evernote Support pointed me in the right direction. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded the latest update to Evernote, 4.4.2.4912 and now the Evernote clipper for both FireFox 5 and Outlook 2010 are gone.

Versions: Firefox 5.0

Outlook 2010: 14.0.5128.5000

What's up?

Thanks,

Mark

I have installed Outlook 2010 and the Evernote icon appeared in the tool bar. But each time I tried to use it to send something to evernote, I got an error message. Now that I've installed the latest version of Evernote, I got a message telling me that the icon could not be installed. What is the problem? How can I automatically send an email to my Evernote folders?

Thanks!

Randi

• 4 months later...

thanks. @pricklypig

Requesting macro security clearance and restarting Outlook the button appear.

Before, EvernoteOL.dll was enabled, but the toolbar appeared without any buttons in it, no matter what I did to mess about with COM addins....

(win XP, Outlook 2007, restrictive corporate policies)

• 1 month later...

In case you have the same problem:

I just rebuilt my Dell W7 64bit and I added EN for Win. The Outlook EN icon was not present.

When I opened Outlook>Options>Add In Window, EN did not appear. When I opened the Com Add Ins window, Evernote.Outlook appeared.

I clicked on the add button and it took me to Users>Jay>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft>AddIns. Nothing was there.

When you highlight Evernote.Outlook in the Com window it indicates that the file is at Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteOL.dll

Not having any idea whether what I was about to do would work ;) I copy and pasted the .dll into the MS Addins folder.

I closed and opened Outlook and the EN button now appears!!

Guess What? When I open the MS Addins folder - there is nothing there!! :)

I have no idea what I did tht caused the button to appear - it is just there and tested and working.

Perhaps one of the EN Mods can explain.

I have a coworker with a very similar issue. He says his "Add to Evernote" buttons on Outlook disappeared after upgrading to the most recent release.

I went through the Trust Center settings, and his Evenote.Outlook Add-in was under the "Inactive Applications" section. I went in to manage them, and checked it back to active, but no buttons.

I restarted Outlook, and when it came up, still no buttons. Going back into the Trust Center, and it's back on Inactive.

Any idea how to force it to stay?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How I fixed things. I am running win XP SP2, Outlook 2007 SP3, and EN 4.5.4.6387 (230954) Prerelease. I just upgraded yesterday and also found my Outlook clipper gone. The Add-on was in the disabled section of Trust Center and could not be restored. Upon search for EvernoteOL.dll it was missing under Application Data. Turns out, I think, some invisible portion of outlook was running during the upgrade and prevented the new dll from copying.

I went for the clean install approach.

- First completely removing the Add-in from the disabled section of the add-in manager.

- Shut down outlook and verify complete shutdown via task manager. There was something outlookish that I killed there.

- Shut down and manually uninstall EN

- Reinstall EN and check for upgrade before ever opening Outlook.

- Start up Outlook...Clipper's back with most recent EN version.

woohoo.

I had the latest version loaded on one windows 7 machine, and the Outlook add-in was working great.

I had to reimage that machine, and now it is not working in Outlook 2010 on a different machine that I am using Outlook 2010 on (Evernote version Evernote V4.5.3.6131, and Outlook 10 on Windows 7).

When looking at the add-ins, Outlook clearly cannot find the right dll for the add-in. So I am curious, which file in the evernote directory is the dll for the outlook add-in?

• 3 weeks later...

I have googled and searched the trunk but cannot not locate the outlook add-in for transferring emails from outlook to evernote. I think it is called Outlook Clipper, but any search term I use doesn't seem to result in any downloadable file. Please help.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Level 5*

It is installed automatically with the desktop client, but it might not be enabled. I've had that happen.

This is for Outlook 2010, but 2007 should be similar:

• CLick the big office icon (or "file" in 2010) and select options
  • Select Add-ins
  • At the bottom, you want to manage Com Add ins, press the Go button
  • Make sure "Evernote.Outlook" is checked.
  • Press OK as many times as necessary to get back to Outlook

it should show up.

• 1 month later...

I want to chime in here. I also lost the EN tab in Outlook (2007) after the most recent update (4.5.6.6884 (249072) Public. I uninstalled and the installed. It works fine now. It still is a puzzlement as to why it did not register the first time. I have used EN for a number of years and have never noticed this issue before.

Robert

I too was having this issue. After exiting Outlook and reinstalling Evernote, i was able to see the EvernoteOL.dll, but was unable to enable it as an add-in. I had to remove macro securty from tools>>trust center>>Macro Security by using the "No Security check for macros (not reccomended)" option. I'm using Outlook 2007 on XP and EN 4.5.6.6884. When i reenable macro security, the Outlook clipper is no longer allowed as it is not considered trusted. Now that I can re-enable it, i'm concerned that my macro settings are wide open...

• 2 months later...

for outlook 2010 I discovered this:

In Outlook 2010, go to File > Options > Trust center > Trust Center Settings > Macro Settings Ensure "Notification for all macros" is selected. Then, go to File > Option > Add-ins At the bottom of the page in-front of "Manage" choose "COM add-ins" and click go. Check the box next to "Evernote.Outlook" and hit OK, then OK again. Right click on any email and you should see "Add to Evernote". If that doesn't work, I suggest you send in a ticket to Evernote

Archived