(Archived) HELP: Question about note titles

devynwaitt

Idea

I am running evernote on Mac, my brother is running it on Windows. I have noticed that in his version, if he does not enter a title for a note, the first few words of the note become the title. If I do not enter a title, the note is titled "untitled". I would like for evernote to enter the first few words of the note the way his version does. Does anyone know how to change this?

Thanks!

20 replies to this idea

Thanks for your responses - any chance that the option to make the first few words of your post the title will appear for mac users in the future?

*bats eyelashes. smiles*

*swoon*

• Level 5*

and, the mobile platforms like ios are headed in an entirely different direction with date and place default titles.

i've got my own system for titles, so the default (whatever it is) is a non issue. for your writing tidbits, i'd suggest: 120209 writing tidbit.

Thanks for your responses - any chance that the option to make the first few words of your post the title will appear for mac users in the future?

*bats eyelashes. smiles*

This may or may not happen. Batting eyelashes may or may not help. The rest is a mystery. Good hardworking folks like dlu, heather, and gbarry seem to be making real efforts in this direction, but it doesn't seem that anyone at EN mother ship has "ensure maximum platform consistency" on their job description.

When editing an existing note, if I edit the first line, I just have to highlight the title & backspace to clear it out. Then the title is defaulted to the newly changed first line.

But isn't the point of this thread (which is in the Mac forum) that Mac doesn't work this way?

As established in the previous posts:

I am running evernote on Mac, my brother is running it on Windows. I have noticed that in his version, if he does not enter a title for a note, the first few words of the note become the title. If I do not enter a title, the note is titled "untitled". I would like for evernote to enter the first few words of the note the way his version does. Does anyone know how to change this?

Thanks!

That's just a difference in how the Mac and Windows version of the clients operate

I'm a windows user I'm afraid, so I assumed all notes behaved like this

That's just a difference in how the Mac and Windows version of the clients operate

I'm a windows user I'm afraid, so I assumed all notes behaved like this - but why would you simply want to repeat the first few words of your note in a title? Evernote will find those words equally well in the body text. Unless you're expecting to have to find one note in a long list of search hits, it's quicker to leave the title blank. Us "experienced users" (well, me anyway..) like to use a descriptive title with different words than the note itself to better help find it again.

FWIW, when I first started using EN, I'd seen the complaints that when printing a note, the title wasn't printed. Since I wasn't sure how often I'd be printing notes, I decided to be proactive & just make the first line of my note the same as the title. (That was the workaround for the problem.) I normally still do this. I just make the first line what I want the title to be. When editing an existing note, if I edit the first line, I just have to highlight the title & backspace to clear it out. Then the title is defaulted to the newly changed first line.

I use it to keep all my random writing/stories in - most of which are untitled. I don't like the way it looks saying untitled over and over again but I don't want to title these tidbits of writing. For me it is less about function (searching) and more about aesthetic i guess. Is there no workaround? ) :

• Level 5

I'm a windows user I'm afraid, so I assumed all notes behaved like this - but why would you simply want to repeat the first few words of your note in a title? Evernote will find those words equally well in the body text. Unless you're expecting to have to find one note in a long list of search hits, it's quicker to leave the title blank. Us "experienced users" (well, me anyway..) like to use a descriptive title with different words than the note itself to better help find it again.

I agree. Especially when I print a note.

I agree. Especially when I print a note.

• Level 5*

Archived