Feature Request: Tag & Saved Search links

mehuge

Idea

Note links were an excellent addition to evernote, so I can now cross reference my notes. However, I would like to be able to link to a saved search or tag in a note.

I tend to have a master note for a project that links to all the bits of information related to that project. This can be cumbersome and time consuming to keep up to date using note links. The tag system is great here, because I always tag my notes with the name of the project, its a natural thing to do when creating a note. It would be cool if I could link to that tag, so that when reading / reviewing a note, I see in my see also section of my note a link that will run a saved search or tag search, so I can see all other related notes, without having to maintain the links between my notes manually.

See Also

Evernote Notes (tag:Evernote)

or

Evernote Project (search:Evernote)

25 replies to this idea

+1 for this feature.

ENScript workaround is nice, but still has some issues. For example I have Evernote installed on home and office computer in different folders, so the path to ENScript is different. Also it's not possible to automatically change such links when tag name changes.

An internal solution would be appreciated.

+1 Would be great.

I would be able to have an pop up reminder on my phone with a search link in it.

I klick it and get all notes taged with ToDo, now, important.

And that with each reminder possibility a normal smartphone calender has. E.g. daily, monthly, every tuesday and so on.

Then no more additional taskmanagement would be necessary or work arounds with "How to use FollowUpThen and Gmail to create recurring tasks in Evernote"

regards PHi

+1

I would use (and need) this for dynamic outlining. The outline is an indented list of hyperlinks based on searches. Yes, tagging gives similar functionality, but I want to execute the search from within a note, not the Toolbar or the Tag list.

I would like to have an outline within a note with my comments and images to use as a Dashboard.

Search hyperlinking (like note hyperlinking) would work on mobile and desktop. I'm aware you can drag and drop a search on the Toolbar, but I need it within a note and to also work on mobile... thanks.

• Level 5*

That's a fair point, something to think about anyways. Even so, your Google example points to a single resource (i.e. Google), and returns a single (albeit dynamic) web page. Funny; I do tend to like generalizing on concepts, but 'link' doesn't seem to do it for me, and I'd prefer a separate term, if I were to be the one to choose. Thankfully, I'm not. :)

I think my point in the referenced article is that 'link' is terminology we use to identify unique resources, i.e., I click on a link, and it takes me to a single place (or note, or file, etc.). That's why I'd prefer to keep that terminology separate from the mechanism being requested, which, since it acts to filter the note database, I'd want to call an embeddable note filter, or something like that. I can see where it would be useful, I just don't think of it as a link.

Do you mean link in the context of evernote or the internet in general. I can't comment for Evernote's internal definitions of what a link is, but Internet Links (or URIs) are references to resources, a search is as much a resource as a document is. A blog is also a dynamic resource, but can be linked to in Evernote by pasting its URI into a note. A google search can be linked to in Evernote. An Evernote search can't be linked to a note in evernote however. I think that the term link, is exactly the correct term to use as you are linking to information outside of the note to that note through some form of URI.

• Level 5*

I think my point in the referenced article is that 'link' is terminology we use to identify unique resources, i.e., I click on a link, and it takes me to a single place (or note, or file, etc.). That's why I'd prefer to keep that terminology separate from the mechanism being requested, which, since it acts to filter the note database, I'd want to call an embeddable note filter, or something like that. I can see where it would be useful, I just don't think of it as a link.

• Level 5*

Whether they will ever add links to anything other than notes is anyone's guess. One workaround: embed the text of the relevant saved search at the top of your master note, so it's handy to the links. E.g., "tag:MyProjectName". Just a plain search will search across note titles, tags and content, e.g. "MyProject").

Archived