Evernote Support

Is there anyone out there in tech support?

I assume that despite attempts to get my issue resolved as a premium member, because my account is showing as a free account that my support ticket is at the bottom of the queue.

It appears that Evenote's success will be it's downfall if it can't get it's tech support in order. I suppose that now it's the weekend I won't get this resolved until next week at least so I will be looking for a refund of my premium subscription having paid for something I can't use.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My apologies -

It appears that when you replied the second time, you bounced yourself out of the special queue you were in for expediting and placed yourself into the normal free queue.

I've performed the upgrade myself so you should be Premium now.

My apologies -

It appears that when you replied the second time, you bounced yourself out of the special queue you were in for expediting and placed yourself into the normal free queue.

I've performed the upgrade myself so you should be Premium now.

Many thanks for getting this sorted. All working perfectly now.

• 1 month later...

Here's an excerpt from the email I sent to Evernote:

Regarding contacting Evernote, I find it troubling that I cannot use live chat if I do not have my username and password working. In this situation we find ourselves—your site being hacked and passwords being reset—I find this to be a really huge oversight on your part. Please change your chat to be open to anyone, especially since you do not appear to even have a phone number to reach customer service at.

I'm very concerned now that your service is not as PREMIUM as you claim ... even though that's what I'm paying for.

Now, here's the issue in it's entirety. I cannot reset my password, as I just completed changing my URL and no longer have access to the original email I registered with Evernote. This is also the email that is considered Premium. Since I have to use a new email address to contact customer support, an email address that is not associated with my premium account, they do not guarantee a 1-day business reply.

In what I do recognize to be a worst-case scenario, this does not work for me or for anyone that I can imagine. I'm in the middle of a site design for my client and some vital information is stored in my account. It's been four days now and I'm in a serious pickle!

Any suggestions on how to contact them directly. Not using existing system which does not work.

• Level 5

So, as I understand it, you're saying that you don't have access to your email address on file with Evernote?

You should still be able to reset your password from the link at the top of the Evernote.com homepage with your username. Does that work?

Once the password is reset with your username, you should be able to get Premium Support, change your email on file, and access your notes.

Yes, Jackolicious! That did help.

However, it was very confusing because I assumed that my password no longer worked at all—since it wasn't working when I tried to login to my account on iOS. 

Thanks!

My criticism of the chat service still stands.

If EVERNOTE wants to build stronger brand loyalty, especially after being hacked, restricting certain customer service options to premium members only is a mistake. In my case, it actually hurt a premium member—something I don't think that was intended when the service was restricted to premiums.

On a brand loyalty note. I know that many will be rethinking cloud computing after the hacking events over the last few week. Building better communication is the key to keeping members happy, while maintaining the trust.

Thank you for your time.

Terry Gherman

www.tygher.com

While we actually have staffed up our support team on all fronts, including chat, and while we would love to have more people on chat, unfortunately because of the way our service is set up it requires authorization to your account (be it Free or Premium) in order to contact us. 

While we've been able to push out updates to all of our software clients to provide better messaging for this issue, as well as having updated our Knowledgebase, our the best method to contact support if you are unable to login remains filing a ticket.

As Jack said, trying to login with your username and password (it will not allow you to access your account data in any way) may help you in this case.

Hi Heather.

Thanks for your reply. I was able to login and reset my email and password with the help of Jackolicious’ instructions.

Just a thought ... One thing you could implement (that I've seen other companies doing) is add an option for a second email address. I could have avoided my issues if I had been able to add my backup contact email address. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am amazed that you don't have a proper public facing issue tracking system.

I raised a support request and I have no idea whether the ticket is opened, closed, I cannot look at a list of tickets  and click of them.

One of my support requests was closed without any notice, After a week of waiting for an email response, I had to go on the chat thing to find out it was closed.

Closing support tickets without even an automated email to alert the user is poor.

FYI, here's a list of open source support ticket systems you could try.

http://pulse2.com/2012/12/27/open-source-ticket-system/

Thanks

Hi

I am amazed that you don't have a proper public facing issue tracking system.

I raised a support request and I have no idea whether the ticket is opened, closed, I cannot look at a list of tickets  and click of them.

One of my support requests was closed without any notice, After a week of waiting for an email response, I had to go on the chat thing to find out it was closed.

Closing support tickets without even an automated email to alert the user is poor.

FYI, here's a list of open source support ticket systems you could try.

http://pulse2.com/2012/12/27/open-source-ticket-system/

Thanks

They *do* send you an email that the ticket was closed.  Perhaps you just hadn't received yours or it went to a different email address?  SOP with Evernote is if they don't hear back from you, after a couple of weeks (it's really more than a week), they auto close it. This makes good sense so they don't have a gazillion "open" tickets where someone (like myself) may fail to reply b/c the problem is solved. 

Mmm, not my case - this was an ongoing support request and I was awaiting feedback. It was me no hearing back from them, not the other way round.

Why would the mail go to a different email address, I only have the one I use with them.

I understand it could have been a glitch of some sort, but not having a "your support requests" page with a clickable list of requests and their status is verging on the amateursih IMHO.

Actually, it's been a conscious choice that we did not have a web page for that.

Our ticketing system that we use *does* support it, we chose not to implement it, as the experience required users to Login to file a support request. If a user is having problems with logging in to their account (as many of them are, especially right now) then that system doesn't work.

I'm sorry you feel it's amatuerish that we don't display this feature, but there was much more to the decision than just "wouldn't it be nice for the users to see their open requests."

We've only recently been able to design something that allows a toggle for login/not login for support, and will be implementing it later this year.

Thanks for your replies. Didn't want to sound too harsh with the 'amateurish' remark, I am a developer myself, I know the difficulties, I just take ticketing systems as a given these days. 

Most ticketing systems I am aware of do both, i.e.  they send you email feedback whenever a ticket status change in any way so you can interact without having to log in, but also allow users to admin the tickets themselves by logging in.

Anyway, at least feedback on the forums is prompt and helpful, so that's good.

The ticket has been reopened, so don't worry about it, it was more of a general remark.

As I happen to know fairly a lot about this, having analyzed every ticketing tool available that meets the requirements of a support department of our size (ie, we can't just use a self-hosted solution like Fogbugz), Its actually the *initial* creation of the ticket that has been the major roadblock.

I'm sure many of you have run into a similar problem - I know I have. Here was my situation.

I have a problem with some major company that only offers email/chat support. (Like Evernote)

That problem is: I can't get into my account. I tried all the reset password options, but for some reason, they're not working.

I go to their support page, and no matter what I do, it says "Please login to file a support request."

!!!!!!

I search desperately all along their website, and then I find a link to chat with someone that doesn't require a login. It's presales, but I figure, hey, they can transfer me, right?

Wrong, they say "You'll need to contact our support department, here's the link." And they end the chat.

I'm still desperately trying to get into my account, go to getahuman.com, search Google for the email addresses and twitter accounts and everything I can for this company so I can just please get into my account.

(And then, because I'm me, I realize I know someone actually at the company there, so I give them a call and yell at them a little bit until they take pity on me and let me in.)

True story!

So, I basically don't want our 50million and growing users to go through THAT.

Surely in that case Evernote should just enable support staff in the chat service to create tickets?

That's exactly what happened to me, the chat person got my ticket reopened.

They are the last port of call and should have superpowers.

Are you saying there's no way to link your existing system, basically email driven, with a "proper" ticketing system?

I find it hard to believe.

Either way, interesting conversation, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

The Chat staff *can* create tickets. However, chat is just for Premium users - which requires you to login (as you know, since you've logged in to use it.)

I'm just not sure why you think that we're not on a "proper" ticketing system simply because we haven't chosen, for good and valid reasons, to turn on all the available options of an Enterprise Level CRM Tool.

As I said, an unsolved ticket was closed without me receiving any feedback. It was my first ticket, so I had nothing to compare it to. 

It could have been two things - a glitch in the system, or the system itself is not very slick. I assumed the latter because I have already received automated emails in the past so I thought it couldn't be a glitch. I even checked my spam folder.

Turned out it may have been a glitch in the system instead. I was wrong, but it wasn't an unreasonable assumption on my part.

As for not turning on all the available options of an Enterprise Level CRM Tool - you may feel the reasons are good and valid, but for me, as a user, I'd rather have all those options on.

That's just my opinion, I may be the only one holding them, all I can do is to send you feedback as a user and leave it to you guys.

Anyway, that's that, I don't want to waste any more of your time discussing this, thanks for your getting back to me and explaining how you came to that decision.

• 5 weeks later...

hi there, where is the complaint form nowadays? I can't find this option, but in the get help I just put "complaint" in the subject line and copied the following:

Because of the time spent for nothing with (french) support and the annoyance i wil briefly describe my troubles here. But I don't want to complain, I want help.

I asked for support on March 23, I got 

- empty answers (twice) 

and now they ask me what is the problem with their empty messages, they don't understand the pictures I sent (which are actually the support messages I received to my questions... turning in circles makes me dizzy)

- nothing resolved

• one business folder has synch issue on 1 PC only
  • question related to EN windows 8 phone (a suggestion more like)
  • as a non profit business, I discovered i should/could pay half for users monthly payment, I asked how to get this benefit
  • and a suggestion/ questions why before support answers arrived directly to my EN, and not anymore

It's all in french, it's all here, I spent many hours trying to explain I sent back requests, used the complaint form (which seems to have disappeared) and now i don't really know what to do -

help appreciated, i will rewrite everything again in english if need be - please answer by PM i don't mean to pollute, you can delete this, i just want "premium" help, please, i need to advance on this topic as i want to put more staff on EN...

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s260/sh/336a6814-f014-45a0-97af-2423c47eed34/54d817c97226f2f2d88ffb26e202c87e?noteKey=54d817c97226f2f2d88ffb26e202c87e&noteGuid=336a6814-f014-45a0-97af-2423c47eed34

• Level 5*

hi there, where is the complaint form nowadays? I can't find this option, but i put it in the subject line.

Because of the time spent for nothing with (french) support and the annoyance i wil briefly describe my troubles here

I asked for support on March 23, I got 

- empty answers (twice) 

and now they ask me what is the problem with their empty messages, they don't understand the pictures I sent (which are actually the support messages I received to my questions... turning in circles makes me dizzy)

- nothing resolved

•  one business folder has synch issue
  • question related to EN windows 8 phone (a suggestion more like)
  • as a non profit business, I discovered i should/could pay half for users monthly payment, I asked how to get this benefit
  • and a suggestion/ questions why before support answers arrived directly to my EN, and not anymore

It's all in french, it's all here, I spent many hours trying to explain I sent back requests, use the complaint form (which seems to have disappeared) and now i don't really know what to do -

help appreciated, i will rewrite everything again in english if need be - please answer by PM i don't mean to pollute, you can delete this, i just want "premium" help, please, i need to advance on this topic as i want to put more staff on EN...

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s260/sh/336a6814-f014-45a0-97af-2423c47eed34/54d817c97226f2f2d88ffb26e202c87e?noteKey=54d817c97226f2f2d88ffb26e202c87e&noteGuid=336a6814-f014-45a0-97af-2423c47eed34

Hi. I am sorry to hear about your problems with support. I will flag your post and bring it to the attention of Evernote staff. 

Ahh, that was from our old ticketing system - we switched to a new one over the weekend. There were some "glitches" with it - the "empty answers" being one of them. 

We no longer offer a nonprofit discount.

And on our new form, for security purposes, support answers go directly to the email address you have on file with your Evernote account in your user settings - so that we can be sure we're contacting the correct person. You can utilize the guest form if you do not wish for this to happen, but you will not receive Premium/Business support (if you are a member of that service.)

thanks!

1 and 3- I'll give this info if the french support ever gets back to me... (radio silence for the last 2 days)

2- are you sure about the school discount?  50% discount it still is part of the faq (at least in the french area, very hard to remain on the international /english part of the site even i try to tweak the url) -

on my end I was hesitating to put all my staff on EN, but with this type of discount, I would have done it

still here

http://evernote.com/intl/fr/premium/groups/

and there

http://evernote.com/intl/fr/premium/groups/education.php

Est-ce qu'Evernote offre des réductions pour les établissements d'enseignement ou à but non lucratif ?

Oui. Pour ces deux communautés d'utilisateurs, nous nous sommes engagés à rendre Evernote disponible avec une remise significative pour ces institutions. Les groupes sponsorisés payés par les établissements d'enseignement ou à but non lucratif sont éligibles à une réduction de 50% sur le prix mensuel normal d'un abonnement premium. Veuillez cocher la case appropriée en rentrant les informations de paiement. La réduction sera appliquée après vérification.

I'll rewrite my question about win phone 8 a the appropriate area when i have some time, since it's much easier around here to get answers - thx again

2- are you sure about the school discount?  50% discount it still is part of the faq (at least in the french area, very hard to remain on the international /english part of the site even i try to tweak the url) -

That info was still contained on some orphaned pages, which we thought were down, and had intended to be.  They should be removed now.  We have some changed options for schools/educational organizations that are in the works, and I will update this thread when the announcement breaks.

• 2 months later...

i just got an error message from Evernote for windows asking me to contact support@evernote.com and to attach my log.

Sensible.  What is not, is that my message was rejected saying that the email address does not exist.

Not even an autoreply that they don't like that anymore? Maybe it would be a good thing to remove that error message from the application then...  No need to be rude.

• Level 5*

i just got an error message from Evernote for windows asking me to contact support@evernote.com and to attach my log.

Sensible.  What is not, is that my message was rejected saying that the email address does not exist.

Not even an autoreply that they don't like that anymore? Maybe it would be a good thing to remove that error message from the application then...  No need to be rude.

You can get to support from this link: http://evernote.com/contact/support/#/product/evernote

Not sure about support@evernote.com, looks like someone flagged your post for review by an Evernote staffer; I'd expect that someone will hop on it and answer here in the forums. I doubt very much that anyone was trying to be rude -- if there's a problem with the Evernote mail system, then you will get a message that it bounced something like you report.

I do apologize for the message in the Windows client. There actually is no "support@evernote.com" email address (and never has been). I've contacted the Windows team to ensure that the typo is corrected in the software.

• 2 months later...

Is it just me or are others having trouble submitting support tickets? I sign in as a Premium Subscriber, then go to Help, but get booted out again. Can't save clips due to popup stating "cannot clip note". 

So there are 2 problems: 

First, I can't save a note from the URL (which in this case is http://harvardmagazine.com/2013/09/harvard-past-president-endorses-online-education )

Second, I can't report the problem because I get booted out of "Help" after I've already signed in

I use Chrome, and Windows 7.

Not exactly what I signed up for...

Do others have this problem? If so, please share your insights.

Many thanks!

MarcyM.

I'm a bit confused by the support ticket system. I opened a support request that Evernote responded to, but the issue is unresolved and I'd like to continue the conversation on the support request I opened. Do I just replay to the email I received from Evernote that provided their response to my support inquiry?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some guidance.

I'm a bit confused by the support ticket system. I opened a support request that Evernote responded to, but the issue is unresolved and I'd like to continue the conversation on the support request I opened. Do I just replay to the email I received from Evernote that provided their response to my support inquiry?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some guidance.

Also keep in mind that if the issue is deemed a bug & passed off to the dev team, that EN support may consider the ticket closed b/c it will take a program update to fix it. That bug may not necessarily be fixed in the next one or two updates for a variety of reasons. So although the user may not consider the ticket closed, it may be closed by the support team.

• 1 month later...

Evernote support sucks...I have used evernote for 2 years now and love it but I have now upgraded to Business and have had problems but no one can help. Tried of emailing support, chatting support, lack of telephone support really sucks, but hey they got my money. 100 year company.....not with this support

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You don't actually say that you created a support ticket via your Business admin. Once done, I would be totally shocked if the problem was not dealt with.

You might want to tell us what the problem is as well. If you have a ticket please put the number on this thread.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5

Well be shocked. You dont need my ticket number, support has it and they know my problem. I just want everyone to know that the support i have received as a premium user and now business is piss poor.

You won't get much support from other users if you don't offer your support number!

Well be shocked. You dont need my ticket number, support has it and they know my problem. I just want everyone to know that the support i have received as a premium user and now business is piss poor.

Wow.  Well, you're complaining that you've not received proper support but rudely refuse to post your ticket number so someone can follow up on it.  If you want your claim of "piss poor" support to be taken seriously, then this is not the way to do it.

not asking for support from users, evernote should be giving the support. Isn't this a place to let people know the lack of support from evernote also? Or is this forum only for the positive things about evernote.

• Level 5*

Well be shocked. You dont need my ticket number, support has it and they know my problem. I just want everyone

to know that the support i have received as a premium user and now business is piss poor.

Hi. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your experience. If you feel uncomfortable providing your support number so that other Evernote staff can follow up on the issues you are having, could you message the forum administrator directly? His username is gbarry. This will help expedite the process, because they can they will know where to look for your ticket (some people have multiple accounts and it is difficult to match up your user forum name with your account name).

not asking for support from users, evernote should be giving the support. Isn't this a place to let people know the lack of support from evernote also? Or is this forum only for the positive things about evernote.

Chris was asking for your support ticket so a moderator can flag it for EN staff to follow up on it. Simply complaining w/o offering up any help to those trying to help you comes off as just whining. But it's certainly your choice to not post your ticket number. Good luck. 

Wow.  Well, you're complaining that you've not received proper support but rudely refuse to post your ticket number so someone can follow up on it.  If you want your claim of "piss poor" support to be taken seriously, then this is not the way to do it.

• Level 5*

Feel free to write negative things if you would like. We'll discuss anything here. If you provide us with more details, Chris or some of the other Business experts might also be able to offer additional advice. Some of the users here are pretty tech savvy and can help out as well while you work through it with support. 

Ok I was just letting people  know that i service which i pay for is not supporting their product as advertised. I wasn't asking for support from users. Support should come from evernote. Not writing negative things, just facts from my experience. 

• Level 5

Ok I was just letting people  know that i service which i pay for is not supporting their product as advertised. I wasn't asking for support from users. Support should come from evernote. Not writing negative things, just facts from my experience. 

This is a user forum. 

And this user in particular has his doubts about the validity of an anonymous vague complaint by someone who won't post his support ticket number.

This isn't evernote support so why would i post my ticket number here. I was just, never mind i see now that if you let people know about the lack of support from evernote, not evernote users, you get bashed on and excused of just making it up but evernote has my ticket number and thats who needs it. sorry to try and let people know the lack of support from evernote. I never said anything bad about evernote the program or its users, just support. 

• Level 5*

This isn't evernote support so why would i post my ticket number here. I was just, never mind i see now that if you let people know about the lack of support from evernote, not evernote users, you get bashed on and excused of just making it up but evernote has my ticket number and thats who needs it. sorry to try and let people know the lack of support from evernote. I never said anything bad about evernote the program or its users, just support. 

Hi. Sorry to hear you feel this way. As I said, other Evernote staff could use the ticket number to track down your problem and get you more support. It's up to you if you want to supply them with it (as I said, you can message one of the employees directly with it if you would like). 

I appreciate you reporting your experience (as I said), and I don't think anyone has accused you of fabricating it. I certainly haven't seen any bashing. We are trying to help out with the issue, that's all. Evernote support staff are the experts, of course, but corresponding can take time, and many of the users here are probably the most experienced users out there (Evernote staff included), so sometimes they have helpful stuff to say.

Again, it's up to you how much you choose to share with us or the other Evernote staff members. Thanks again for reporting your experience. 

Sorry, but claiming that you submitted a support ticket, especially when you're a premium or business user (b/c they get higher priority support) but refusing to post your ticket number (which reveals no identifying info except to EN staff) is akin to posting a negative review of a product you've never bought or used & is not given much validity.  But as GM & I have said, it's certainly your choice but definitely does not give your complaint any credibility.

Additionally, in your OP, you say you "emailed support".  That would tend to indicate you only emailed EN, which is not the correct way to get support.  Rather, a support ticket needs to be submitted.  Complaining about "lack of support" if you did not seek support in the correct venue (as indicated on the link to support on the main EN webpage) is wrong & unfair.  It's kind of like "I sat at my computer & asked for support & didn't get a reply back."

LOL...Not even going to reply to that Burgersnfries....evernote support knows....i don't have to prove nothing to anyone here, sorry i even posted here. This is my last statement here. I posted here just to let people know that as a premium user and now for a few weeks a business (my business) user that the support i have gotten from evernote support, not here in this forum or other users is very poor. I have paid my yearly dues for evernote and my monthly dues for evernote business and i expect support. You can play on my words about emailing or whatever but evernote support has my ticket number, and all the chat logs. In my business customer support is everything and we bend over backwards for our customers, i just except the same from evernote but I'm not getting it. I'm not posting my ticket number here because i didn't ask anyone here for support or to help me with support, i was just letting people know the evernote support was poor. Thats my experience so far. 

• Level 5*

@BTonkin: I guess that the question that I would put to you, if you're still around, is what exactly were the aspects of support that you don't like or had problems with, versus what you were expecting?  Specific answers could help Evernote out, as well as other forum users looking to evaluate Evernote; just claiming that "support is poor" without further details smacks -- rightly or wrongly -- as a rant.

Moreover, there are some knowledgeable Business users around -- did you post your problem on the Evernote for Business forum? I'm guessing not, since don't see that you've ever posted elsewhere here under the name 'BTonkin'.

It's a user forum, which we read.  So when someone reports an issue (and others chime in) it helps us triangulate on the problem and take care of it--be it a bug, usability issue, new feature, delay with support, etc.  The more info you provide here (or through PM, if it's more private info) the faster we can help resolve.

We're always open to hearing feedback, so thanks for providing it generally here, and feel free to detail further.

I've done some additional checking, and it may be that a ticket was not successfully submitted or generated--we have no record of submission with our Business Success team, nor with our general support team.  If you chatted with a tech and they were not able to help with your issue, a ticket is usually generated.  And if you haven't received a ticket number in any of these communications, then it's unlikely we're tracking the issue.

Eh, I have limited information from you based on your posts here, so I can only look so far.  That's why ticket numbers are nice to have.  I managed to find an account with no ticket submissions tied to it, and confirmed with the success team, so it's possible you're also submitting from another Evernote account, possibly one that is free and not upgraded.  That can happen from time to time.  A user who is Premium submits from a different free account, and gets reduced support response times because of it. 

• Level 5

I don't want to take part in this imho useless discussion. I just would like to share my own experience.

I have just sent three support requests. In one case it was not really read because I asked for a list of fixed bugs of a the iPad version 7.0.2 and got a response like "Thank you for reporting this bug". In the other two cases which were bugs I got similar responses and the information that the bug will be submitted to the bug database and that it is not known at the moment if or when it will be fixed.

In my job I am using Netbeans as a tool for software development (by the was, it's free). When I discover a bug I get a much better response and I always can track the status of the bug and the planned release of the fix. This is what I call professional support. With Evernote you just have to hope that the developers judge the problem as important and will fix it some day.

However, I have not tested the chat yet.

I don't want to take part in this imho useless discussion. I just would like to share my own experience.

I have just sent three support requests. In one case it was not really read because I asked for a list of fixed bugs of a the iPad version 7.0.2 and got a response like "Thank you for reporting this bug". In the other two cases which were bugs I got similar responses and the information that the bug will be submitted to the bug database and that it is not known at the moment if or when it will be fixed.

In my job I am using Netbeans as a tool for software development (by the was, it's free). When I discover a bug I get a much better response and I always can track the status of the bug and the planned release of the fix. This is what I call professional support. With Evernote you just have to hope that the developers judge the problem as important and will fix it some day.

However, I have not tested the chat yet.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.  You say one "was not really read" b/c you asked for a list of fixed bugs & didn't get what you asked for.  (So you "assume" it wasn't read.).  EN does not provide users access to their bug list or the status of the bug.  And the other two, you're asking for immediate fixes for what you say are bugs but that EN has stated may or may not be bugs.  Surely you know support is just that - they provide support & do not actually write the code that fixes bugs.  So all they can do is submit it where someone else decides if it's a bug or not.  If it's a bug, it may not be fixed in the immediate or near future b/c it gets prioritized. 

You mean the ticket number I didn't have, thanks for all the doubt forum users........

If you had done this from the get go, it would have expedited someone getting back to you.  Guess you just like to prolong your misery.  If you're this "helpful" with EN support, it will probably be a week or two before they get your issue resolved.  Good luck.

• Level 5

I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.  You say one "was not really read" b/c you asked for a list of fixed bugs & didn't get what you asked for.  (So you "assume" it wasn't read.).

Well, what would you assume if someone gave an answer that does not at all relate to your question? The answer '42' would have been just the same.

EN does not provide users access to their bug list or the status of the bug. 

Yes, that would have been a correct answer to my question.

And the other two, you're asking for immediate fixes for what you say are bugs but that EN has stated may or may not be bugs. Surely you know support is just that - they provide support & do not actually write the code that fixes bugs. So all they can do is submit it where someone else decides if it's a bug or not.  If it's a bug, it may not be fixed in the immediate or near future b/c it gets prioritized.

Yes, this is what Evernote obviously provides, first level support only.

• Level 5

And the other two, you're asking for immediate fixes for what you say are bugs but that EN has stated may or may not be bugs. Surely you know support is just that - they provide support & do not actually write the code that fixes bugs. So all they can do is submit it where someone else decides if it's a bug or not.  If it's a bug, it may not be fixed in the immediate or near future b/c it gets prioritized.

Yes, this is what Evernote obviously provides, first level support only.

First level support only?

Stuhrer, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

I have used Support and when required, was pushed up to a higher level support person.

For those reading this topic and thinking Evernote have rubbish support. I've been using Evernote Business for a while and the support is probably the best I've ever experienced so far. The speed at which they are able to reply and resolve issues, one of which being a problem in my registry, was excellent. The ticket was passed through the support levels as expected and resolved quickly (within 48hrs).

So please don't be perturbed by this thread.

For those reading this topic and thinking Evernote have rubbish support. I've been using Evernote Business for a while and the support is probably the best I've ever experienced so far. The speed at which they are able to reply and resolve issues, one of which being a problem in my registry, was excellent. The ticket was passed through the support levels as expected and resolved quickly (within 48hrs).

So please don't be perturbed by this thread.

Way over 48 hrs for me and still not fixed, oh no i'm not perturbed..........

Support was working on issue and they couldn't figure out the problem, (they said "It had us scratching our heads"but after I updated to Maverick yesterday on my iMac, evernote started working fine and the problem went away.

• Level 5*

Support was working on issue and they couldn't figure out the problem, (they said "It had us scratching our heads"but after I updated to Maverick yesterday on my iMac, evernote started working fine and the problem went away.

Glad to hear the problem has gone away.

Support was amazing when I was premium but now, not so much. I submitted a ticket last 18/10 and still no reply. 

Post up your ticket number, or PM it to me and I'll check it out.  Premium support is faster than free support, because you sit on top of the queue, ahead of free users.  That's one of the value adds to becoming Premium.

Honestly I'm a little underwhelmed also. I've been premium for I believe a few years now and just tried to use support for the first time this week. I posted an issue and didn't get a response for a little over 2 days - a 1-liner asking me to re-install. If someone could help me out it would be great, I have no protesting issues with posting my ticket number - it's #213717

Matt

I added a note to your ticket today for additional follow up.  The initial response was unfortuantely delayed and the ticket is being monitored with that in mind, but the content of the initial response is pretty standard--uninstall/reinstalls will fix 90% of issues seen, and serve as a baseline for us to further diagnose the problem if it persists.

• 1 month later...

What happen to Evernote support?  What a mess of a support policy... 

So let me get this right, you cannot contact support without your account being active and being able to log into it, and you cannot reset your password without you account being active and logged in plus 5 unique words from your past notes.  Well, I thought this was why I was using Evernote to begin with.  Their script cannot identify me and I have no way to contact support.  What a mess. 

I had to create a throw away temporary account just to contact support which probably will not help any way.  This is not an acceptable support policy for the users of Evernote.  They should at least have a way to contact support without having to log into your account because if your having issues like I did, you cannot and your just out of luck.  I've realized they've had some problems with hackers in the past but this alienates their users. 

They need to rethink this.  Not very happy with them at the moment. 

What happen to Evernote support? What a mess of a support policy...

So let me get this right, you cannot contact support without your account being active and being able to log into it, and you cannot reset your password without you account being active and logged in plus 5 unique words from your past notes. Well, I thought this was why I was using Evernote to begin with. Their script cannot identify me and I have no way to contact support. What a mess.

I had to create a throw away temporary account just to contact support which probably will not help any way. This is not an acceptable support policy for the users of Evernote. They should at least have a way to contact support without having to log into your account because if your having issues like I did, you cannot and your just out of luck. I've realized they've had some problems with hackers in the past but this alienates their users.

They need to rethink this. Not very happy with them at the moment.

The key phrases here (which you've repeated a few times) are "active" and "cannot log into it". If your account is active & you cannot log in, you can use "forget password". If your account is not active & you can log in, then no problem. But if both conditions are met (not active & you cannot log in), then you graduate to the five unique words. If you fail that, then you need to contact support via support ticket so they can confirm the account is really yours. Honestly, if this alienates anyone, then so be it. Other scenarios that require creating a support ticket to log in are if you no longer have the password and no longer have access to the emails address (to use the 'forgot password' option.

And... When you say "Well, I thought this was why I was using Evernote to begin with", I have no idea why you think using Evernote relates to being able to access your account.

I would suggest you use a true password manager so you can remember your login credentials for accounts that you create. And choose a master password that you will remember & use an email address that you will always have access to.

The "word selection" was something we implemented part way through the password reset process to help ensure users were getting back into their accounts in a more timely manner, as a first round verification--that process is only used you're having trouble verifying your account the normal way, which is via the password reset page/password reset email.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make sure I understand the concept here. I have tried several times and several ways to contact Evernote directly using the feedback option and the request for help option on my settings page. I have never been successful in any of these attempts. No where does it say that there is no contact permitted with the developer unless you purchase their Premium package, but now assume this is the fact. I do intend to purchase premium in 2014, but I just want to verify that my assumption is correct.

Is it impossible to have direct contact with the Evernote developers if you do not purchase their Premium service? And, if that is the case, why is it not stated clearly in the free version?

I want to make sure I understand the concept here. I have tried several times and several ways to contact Evernote directly using the feedback option and the request for help option on my settings page. I have never been successful in any of these attempts. No where does it say that there is no contact permitted with the developer unless you purchase their Premium package, but now assume this is the fact. I do intend to purchase premium in 2014, but I just want to verify that my assumption is correct.

Is it impossible to have direct contact with the Evernote developers if you do not purchase their Premium service? And, if that is the case, why is it not stated clearly in the free version?

I don't know about the Mac help link, but if you follow the support link from the bottom of the main EN website, it indicates the correct method of getting support is to submit a support ticket. Did you do that?

(see link in my sig)

• Level 5*

Any Evernote user can contact support. Premium users get priority over free users.

Support is not staffed by developers. There's no guarantee that you will ever get direct contact with an Evernote developer, though that can happen (sometimes they even post in the forums). To reiterate: when you contact support, you are in contact with support personnel, who are trained to help people that have issues with Evernote, but are usually not developers.

I can see how this would be misread.  We use in-app feedback to collect feedback, not initiate a conversation or provide direct support.  I would submit a support ticket per the suggestions above.  Additional number one rule of thumb: if you haven't received a ticket number from us (through email) then support is likely unaware of any issues you may have.

I show you have 3 support requests on file with us. One was filed in September, and was answered and replied to multiple times by yourself/us, then eventually closed out with a resolution.

Two were filed yesterday. One appears to be gibberish text with a log attached.

As a Free user, you will be assisted when time permits, as we must assist our Business and Premium users first, however you will receive a reply.

• 2 months later...

As a new Evernote user, I read some of this thread, and I have to say I saw 4-5 different people piling on and abusing this guy, and they're not even Evernote employees.  It wasn't very encouraging.  Maybe such people shouldn't be on the forum, if they can't keep a positive and professional persona.

As a new Evernote user, I read some of this thread, and I have to say I saw 4-5 different people piling on and abusing this guy, and they're not even Evernote employees.  It wasn't very encouraging.  Maybe such people shouldn't be on the forum, if they can't keep a positive and professional persona.

I see several people demonstrating to a user the various way he could get support. Not sure why you think that's "abuse" or not positive/professional.

BurgersNFries - to quote your own response to this person:

If you had done this from the get go, it would have expedited someone getting back to you.  Guess you just like to prolong your misery.  If you're this "helpful" with EN support, it will probably be a week or two before they get your issue resolved.  Good luck.

Maybe I'm misintepreting your response.

BurgersNFries - to quote your own response to this person:

If you had done this from the get go, it would have expedited someone getting back to you. Guess you just like to prolong your misery. If you're this "helpful" with EN support, it will probably be a week or two before they get your issue resolved. Good luck.

Maybe I'm misintepreting your response.

Nice way to take things out of context. Please feel free to read the previous posts to that user. That reply was to someone who was griping about not getting support. And yet when asked several times to post his ticket number, so that someone from Evernote could follow up on it (notice, this is trying to a HELP this user), he refused. Evernote takes their customer support very seriously & they always want to investigate any situations that may fall through the cracks. So yeah, if someone is going to come to the board & gripe about lack of support, I expect the user to provide info to support such a claim. If you think that "piling on", then so be it. Or maybe you should read the whole story rather than pick & choose & make judgment calls on only a few posts.

• Level 5*

If you have an actual Evernote-related question or issue, then you should probably post it, in a separate topic, naturally. There are many people here, mostly fellow Evernote users but ocasionally Evernote staff, who may be able to help or advise you. If you're interested in the rules of this user forum, and what's expected of visitors, then you can read them here: http://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules. If you think that someone is violating those rules, then you should report the offending post using the Report link at the bottom of the post. If you're interested in official Evernote support, then that would be here: http://evernote.com/contact/support/.

jefito - Fascinating.  I don't imagine you realize how what you wrote came across.  For example, "If you have an actual Evernote-related question or issue..." comes across to me as, "if you have a legitimate product question, ask it, otherwise shut up and mind your own business."  I hope that's not what you meant, but that's how I took it.

I received a private message from another forum member titled, "You are so very right!"  I won't quote any more because I don't want to "out" the person who clearly is concerned about airing his/her opinions on this forum because of the response and some past experience.

I ran a support team at a software company for three years, so I have some experience in this area.  I'll tell you that if a company support rep wrote some of the things I've seen posted here by evangelists, we'd slap their hands for it and they'd either get with the program or find another line of work.  

You're in a funny position because you're not Evernote employees, but you're nevertheless representing Evernote.  I saw a number of posts mentioning, "we're not employees, we're volunteers."  You're probably doing this out of love of the product and the company, which I salute. But if you can't represent the company in a positive manner - no matter how much the customers annoy you - you shouldn't be doing this.   

BurgersNFries - read my reply to jefito.  I didn't quote you out of context.  I read the entire 15 pages of posts on this thread, and I saw multiple instances of abuse and piling to this customer, including yours.  Your earlier immediate response to my first post suggests a certain sensitivity here.  By my reading, the customer said repeatedly that he had shared the ticket number with an Evernote employee, but didn't want to share it with non-Evernote employees.  Now whether he had or hadn't done so, I don't know, but I do know that real support reps wouldn't treat a customer the way he was treated on this forum, because "the customer is always right".

And I can say based on my own experiences in a 24-hour period with you and jefito that this is not a very friendly and "supportive" place.  I have very thick skins, and am happy to trade snarky comments with you if that's what you want, but it would be far better if you read my original post and these two posts today as constructive criticism rather than telling me what I did wrong or what that other customer did wrong.  

Again, you may not be Evernote employees, but you are representing Evernote.  I can't believe this is the image that Evernote wants to project to customers.

• Level 5*

jefito - Fascinating.  I don't imagine you realize how what you wrote came across.  For example, "If you have an actual Evernote-related question or issue..." comes across to me as, "if you have a legitimate product question, ask it, otherwise shut up and mind your own business."  I hope that's not what you meant, but that's how I took it.

Frankly, I can't control your interpretation of what I say, but you should know that I'm not interested in shutting anyone up, provided they abide by the rules of the forum (which I referenced). Our aim here is not to censor anyone, but there are certain uses of the forum that I find are more fruitful than others. Matters of fact (e.g., "how can I do X in Evernote") are the best, because they're straightforward and often more directly helpful to Evernote users, and that's where I'd prefer to do my work here.

Matters of opinion are more tricky, because different people have different opinions, and all are pretty much free to express them here and that can lead to disagreements, misunderstandings and conflict. To a certain extent that's fine, too (though some people deal with conflict better than others). Your initial contribution to the forum seems to be on that end of the spectrum; so steering the conversation back towards some of the facts of the forum seemed like a better direction to take. There's also some impetus from my belief that it's more usually productive to deal with individuals than groups if you're trying to change behaviors, hence the comment on reporting individual posts that you believe violate the rules of the forums.

I received a private message from another forum member titled, "You are so very right!"  I won't quote any more because I don't want to "out" the person who clearly is concerned about airing his/her opinions on this forum because of the response and some past experience.

Private conversations are meant to be private, waving someone else's private comments in my face means pretty little to me. If I had to worry about what people say about me behind my back, I wouldn't come here; I certainly don't have time to try to figure out what their motivations are. I can live with the fact that some people don't like me or the evangelists as a group, because I know -- for a fact -- that we've helped a lot of people use Evernote better (and that's not to say that non-evangelists haven't helped other users a lot either, it just seems that the evangelists are under discussion here). We're easy targets because we're around a lot -- just part of the gig.

I ran a support team at a software company for three years, so I have some experience in this area.  I'll tell you that if a company support rep wrote some of the things I've seen posted here by evangelists, we'd slap their hands for it and they'd either get with the program or find another line of work.  

User forums are different beasts than true support teams, expressly because support teams are staffed by employees. This is a user forum, and I came here because I was a user. That I subsequently became an evangelist (Evernote's term) and moderator came about because I engaged other users and tried to help them sometimes. As users here, we have leeway in responding to other users. And if we ***** up or go too far, the Evernote staff aren't shy about letting us know about it (doesn't happen very often, though). They're sensitive about certain business concerns, but run the forums with a pretty light hand and let us use our own judgement (since evangelists are also moderators here, we are in a position of some trust). Overall, they're pretty supportive of what we do here, believe it or not. If their rules changed, then I for one would abide by them.

You're in a funny position because you're not Evernote employees, but you're nevertheless representing Evernote.  I saw a number of posts mentioning, "we're not employees, we're volunteers."  You're probably doing this out of love of the product and the company, which I salute. But if you can't represent the company in a positive manner - no matter how much the customers annoy you - you shouldn't be doing this.   

My position is clear: I'm an Evernote user/enthusiast and a moderator. The latter gives me some responsibilities, fairly clear-cut, the former lets me participate in the forums as I choose. I let Evernote be the judge of whether I'm fit to represent Evernote, if that's what I'm doing; it's their business, their forum, and their decision.

jetifo - you really are quite amazing.  You'll do anything and everything to avoid saying "I'm sorry" to anyone, won't you?

I ran a support team.  That included forums.  It was the entire support experience.  So I know about forums, volunteers, and evangelists.  

You now have at least two people, and if I'm to believed about my "private" conversation, three people saying that we don't like the way the moderators and evangelists are treating people on the forum.  And rather than hear and acknowledge that, you insist on countering my every post.  

The easiest thing in the world would have been to say "I'm sorry" to me, or to anyone else who doesn't have your exalted knowledge of Evernote and these forums.  

I give up.

jetifo - you really are quite amazing. You'll do anything and everything to avoid saying "I'm sorry" to anyone, won't you?

I ran a support team. That included forums. It was the entire support experience. So I know about forums, volunteers, and evangelists.

You now have at least two people, and if I'm to believed about my "private" conversation, three people saying that we don't like the way the moderators and evangelists are treating people on the forum. And rather than hear and acknowledge that, you insist on countering my every post.

The easiest thing in the world would have been to say "I'm sorry" to me, or to anyone else who doesn't have your exalted knowledge of Evernote and these forums.

I give up.

As Jeff pointed out earlier, you can use the report button to report any post you feel violates forum code of conduct. (And your post is pretty close to that). All reports are read by EN employees and can be read by moderators. If EN staff feel the post violates code of conduct, action will be taken. However, this is a public forum and as a result, there very well may be posts you do not like, but that do not violate the forum code of conduct. That's life.

Evangelists have been hand picked by EN staff. And as Jeff said, they have a bit of authority since they are also moderators. So EN has placed a certain level of trust in them. They do not do this lightly. You may disagree with their choices but again, that's life.

Our Evangelists are users, like you, who are passionate about Evernote. They earned the Evangelist badge by being overwhelmingly helpful to our users.

When I started the Evangelist program, I made the decision to have them add the badge to their existing account rather than have them create a brand new "personna" to login with. I was well aware that in doing this, the personality of the individual people would show through on their posts as well. Indeed, these guys post *a lot*, and when you have thousands of posts, there's going to be some posts that rub people the wrong way.

As jefito said, they most certainly do not agree with each other on everything. They can all instruct you on how to use the "ignore" feature on this board, and that it works on everyone, even Administrators.

For every post by them that may be a tad overly sensitive, however, there's another 50 that is super helpful. Every one of them are the most "liked" people on these boards - even more so than me ;)

And for that, we at Evernote are forever grateful.

Now...I suggest the thread get back on topic (Evernote support, not whether or not you like one or more of the evangelists) to prevent it from being locked.

Okay, this is a long one, but I hope folks read it anyway. It's something I feel needs to be said.

Now that things have settle down a bit on this thread and regarding the topic of the moderators' role in general, I would like to chime in with my two cents worth.

Until now, I have studiously avoided commenting whenever one or more forum members get into a heated debate with the moderators about how they should fulfill their role.

I am not choosing sides or attempting to suck up to anyone with what I'm about to say. I have observed several of these "discussions" in various threads over the last several months, without generally getting involved. (Though there was one recently that I felt the need to comment on when outright, very thinly veiled insults were being directed at two moderators.)

Watching these play out has, I believe, given me a bit of insight that I think we all need to keep in mind whenever posting on this forum.

1) Yes, this is a support forum for the use of Evernote. However, it is not staffed or run by trained and paid Evernote Staff. Certainly they read the boards and occassionally pay us a visit to announce new releases, clarify the occassional problems or confusion the moderators and other users are unable to handle, or to deal with some other issue. But those visits are rare and a courtesy by individual EN staffers.

It has been repeatedly and clearly stated that Evernote does NOT employ any staff to work in this forum. The fact that this is a Users helping other Users, VOLUNTARILY with zero pay or special perks - not even the Moderators - is also a well known fact to any member once the have been posted a time or two.

So for those who compare their own experience in running an online product support forum for which they were either paid to do, or actually owned the company itself, that is a completely unfair comparison. In such cases, I would, as the paying customer, expect you to provide nothing less than excellent customer service in response to any query I have. In fact, I dropped an anti-virus service I pre-paid for last year because the paid forum staffer was rude, unprofessional and lazy. Dealing directly with the company was even worse.

But if you come onto this forum and are not happy because:

● You didn't get a reply as fast as you would have liked, or

● You didn't like or maybe didn't understand the response you got, or

● You assume without first clarifying the response you recieved was intended to be snarky and/or insulting, and...

You immediately adopt a negative stance with whomever it was that replied to your original post, you do yourself and the forum a huge disservice. The only way forums like this work, is if we all show a little restraint, respect and common courtesy.

If you want a forum run by trained and paid Evernote staff, then I hope you never get your wish. The economic resources required to run a good support forum of this type would, in all likelyhood, mean no more free accounts and the cost of premium or business accounts would be significantly higher.

2) It is often obvious even to me - and that says something - that some users have not bothered to even try first searching the Evernote Knowledge Base and the forum boards to seek the answers they want, before posting a question, complaint or suggestion. So I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to the moderators when they are expected to answer the same questions over and over again.

When a user does this, they are effectively saying, "My time, and by extension, my life, is more important than yours!" And since the moderators, in their UNPAID positions they VOLUNTEER their time to fulfill, are the one who try to ensure every post is answered - where the rest of us can easily ignore it with no qualms; after all *we* didn't volunteer for the job - that unspoken insinuation by one of those "important" user's, is generally aimed squarely at the moderators.

We all have busy lives and rightfully value our spare time. And we all have off days when what were trying to say on the boards, doesn't always come across as friendly as we think it does. I don't personally know anyone on this forum, but I'm quite sure all of this applies equally to all of the moderators.

So when you get a response from anyone, even a moderator, that seems a bit gruff, or abrupt, or even a little condenscending, take a deep breath and don't assume the worst.

If the reply is simply one or more links to other threads, follow and read them in their entirety. If you still don't see the answer(s) you need, then go back to your thread, state that you've read them and still need help.

And finally, try to always remember to include the operating system your enquiring about in your initial post - Android, Web, Mac or Windows.

While the kind words are appreciated, again, please let's stay on topic. If this thread continues to be a gripefest about moderators, it WILL be locked. Please feel free to report any posts you think go against the forum code of conduct by using the report button that is on each post. Also keep in mind that just because you do not like a post does not mean it goes against the forum code of conduct. Thank you.

Archived