Evernote Support

Why is Evernote support so lousy?

I'm a premium customer and I have e-mailed support 5 times about separate issues. Some I have been able to solve myself others have just gone unanswered. Of those 5 I have got a response on one. On that one the response I got didn't solve the problem, I replied and still no response.

I mean what is going on? This is shocking!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To open a support inquiry, go to the bottom of:

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/

That form lets you tell us who you are (so we can find out that you have a Premium account), and asks for a bit of information about your problem (Windows, Mac, etc.). This is the only official way to request support.

I checked within our ticketing system, and I only see one inquiry matching your email address in the last week and a half. It was submitted yesterday via that web form, and it appears that Heather replied within 11 minutes unless I'm mistaken.

I don't know if Heather replied or not, it was undersigned "Evernote Support". I have sent two replies back to this query and have not received anything back. I sent as a reply a screenshot and then a snapshot of the console log.

I sent a one query on the 21st September and another on 7th September with no response other than the auto responder.

• Level 5
I have e-mailed support 5 times about separate issues

This is a perfect example of how to use Evernote.

If you take a screen shot of each request, you will have the date, time, and exact wording of each request to support your statement.

My personal experience with the help request line is the same as Dave reported. Answers come through in minutes.

I have e-mailed support 5 times about separate issues

This is a perfect example of how to use Evernote.

If you take a screen shot of each request, you will have the date, time, and exact wording of each request to support your statement.

My personal experience with the help request line is the same as Dave reported. Answers come through in minutes.

I'm unsure what you mean by taking a screenshot of requests, with dates and times etc.

Well yes this time support did respond within 11 minutes as David said and I thank them for that, sadly the response given didn't solve the problem. Since then I've been waiting for more information.

For me David's response could have been much better, rather than tell me that Evernote responded within 11 minutes, he could have asked me if the issue had been resolved, why I felt Evernote don't respond to support requests. Gather more information about the situation and try to rectify it for other users. The fact that I have come to the forum to voice my concerns should have already been a worry for Evernote, after all why should customers have to shout to be heard?

All that has been gained from contacting support is an unhappy customer that feels they are being ignored. According to The George Washington University a dissatisfied customer on average will tell 9-10 people about the experience, 13% will tell more than 20 people. Greater than 90% of dissatisfied customers say they will not buy or come back again. 50-70% would return if the problem is resolved, 95% will return if resolved quickly.

Why is Evernote support so lousy?

I'm a premium customer and I have e-mailed support 5 times about separate issues. Some I have been able to solve myself others have just gone unanswered. Of those 5 I have got a response on one. On that one the response I got didn't solve the problem, I replied and still no response.

I mean what is going on? This is shocking!

To open a support inquiry, go to the bottom of:

That form lets you tell us who you are (so we can find out that you have a Premium account), and asks for a bit of information about your problem (Windows, Mac, etc.). This is the only official way to request support.

I checked within our ticketing system, and I only see one inquiry matching your email address in the last week and a half. It was submitted yesterday via that web form, and it appears that Heather replied within 11 minutes unless I'm mistaken.

I'm unsure what you mean by taking a screenshot of requests, with dates and times etc.

Well yes this time support did respond within 11 minutes as David said and I thank them for that, sadly the response given didn't solve the problem. Since then I've been waiting for more information.

For me David's response could have been much better, rather than tell me that Evernote responded within 11 minutes, he could have asked me if the issue had been resolved, why I felt Evernote don't respond to support requests. Gather more information about the situation and try to rectify it for other users. The fact that I have come to the forum to voice my concerns should have already been a worry for Evernote, after all why should customers have to shout to be heard?

All that has been gained from contacting support is an unhappy customer that feels they are being ignored. According to The George Washington University a dissatisfied customer on average will tell 9-10 people about the experience, 13% will tell more than 20 people. Greater than 90% of dissatisfied customers say they will not buy or come back again. 50-70% would return if the problem is resolved, 95% will return if resolved quickly.

You said you emailed customer support. Dave said the web form is the only official way to request support & said there was only 1 ticket from you in the support log. If you are claiming you used the web form each time, you could have used the EN clipper to take a screen cap of the date, time & ticket number that would have been displayed after submitting the form, each time. If indeed, you were using the web form (which it sounds like you were not), then you would be able to provide this info to Dave so they could find out why your other tickets slipped through the system. If you're not submitting via the web form, then please quit complaining about the lack of response.

You could even try to post the problem in the forum. It may be something someone here has experienced & fixed.

• Level 5
paulbeattie wrote

a dissatisfied customer on average will tell 9-10 people about the experience

Of course, the obvious rebuttal is whether the 9-10 people believe the alleged complaint has any validity.

Posting for the good of the forum. Every time I have contacted Evernote I used the webform. The only time I used e-mail to technically communicate with them was when replying to my most recent support request. Thanks for clearing up the confusion on how to record the submission, I have the auto response and ticket numbers for these if David wishes to touch base with me and get them.

I'd also like to clean up the confusion of contacting support 5 times, having looked back at auto response e-mails I have contacted EN 3 times in the past 1 calendar month, of those three responses I received a reply to 1. The other 2 mentioned were from previous months when I was a free member so I can't complain too much about them. Search features in e-mail can be great at times, not so great when you just count up the number of auto responses!

Paul -

I checked on your case again, and we've been working with engineering to determine the meaning of the error codes in the Console snippet that you sent. We've sent a solution, let us know if it works.

I also checked on your other two submissions from September. Both of these were submitted as Product Suggestions (via http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/suggest.php), which are filed to Product Management folks to read. We do appreciate the feedback we receive via the Product Suggestions form, but but the engineering folks aren't usually going to reply unless they needed clarification on a technical suggestion. ("When you said that we should do X, do mean that you're using X.1 or X.2?")

If you have something that requires a direct response from someone at Evernote, the best solution is to use the Support form, since that goes to dedicated people who handle hundreds of inquiries per week, and can track down your answers.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I've just signed up to try Evernote, and my initial experience has been disappointing.

I made the mistake of signing up for a year instead of 1 month - I just want to try the system with a colleague, so need the writable sharing, but we're not sure if it will be right for us longer term as yet.

So I thought I would just ask Evernote to correct this for me... that's when the problems begin....

1. No contact number or email addresses.

2. Support form throws an "unknown error" no matter what I try (removing punctuation & carriage returns, shortening the summary to one word, etc. etc).

3. Support form appears as if I'm not logged in from everywhere except the footer link on the app itself - despite being logged in.

4. The forum requires a second registration process (by now I've wasted the best part of half an hour trying to self help, and then get help).

.... and now I'm beginning to wonder: if Evernote can't get these "basics" right.... should I even be wasting my time trialing the software itself?

Would someone please reply back to me and tell me:

a) how to get my account reverted to monthly (and refund my card)

B) how to go about getting support / customer account assistance in future - other than through a public forum where there are certain things I don't want to discuss...

Many thanks

Chris

I just tested the support request form at the bottom of this page:

And it worked ok for me. Can you please try again? I think you may have just had bad luck with something on our support ticket system.

We will happily give you the refund for the annual payment and adjust the account accordingly.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay in responding - I didn't realise you had replied, as no notification email came through. (I've just changed this setting in the preferences).

I did manage to submit a support request later that same day - but no response. But I've submitted another one today and this time I've had a ticket by email confirming.

On a separate note - any idea when desktop-app view & edit of shared of notes is planned to be available? It's the key feature we're looking for...

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

Dear Dave:

You didn't address a few of the initial issues that were brought up in this original post. Other than the street address, is there any way to contact an Evernote representative? I have some questions about premium accounts and I would like to speak with someone. Is there an Evernote support email address? Phone number? The corporate line goes straight to voicemail.

Thank you for your help

Dear Dave:

You didn't address a few of the initial issues that were brought up in this original post. Other than the street address, is there any way to contact an Evernote representative? I have some questions about premium accounts and I would like to speak with someone. Is there an Evernote support email address? Phone number? The corporate line goes straight to voicemail.

Thank you for your help

Like many companies, the best & fastest way to get answers is via the avenues they mention. Many companies do not offer the option to directly talk to someone. There are some valid reasons for this. The way to contact the EN folks is this message board or a support ticket.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17965#p72946

• 9 months later...

Hi ...

My Paypal account just got charged twice by Evernote ...

I tried to send an official support ticket, but the Evernote website keeps showing a 403 page:

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/s ... al#inquiry

(try submitting anything, and it returns a 403 error)

I then tried to reply to the customer service email address associated with the Paypal payments.

That bounced, and told me it "did not contain a valid case number". yeah, no sh$t.

So ... there is no way I can contact support.

- No telephone number on their site.

- Their official Paypal customer support email is total BS.

- Their support form is not working, for any type of query.

Here I am ... in the forum now ...

Can someone tell me what to do to get my money back?

And just for the record ... I think it's disgusting that Evernote

charged my credit card twice, without so much as a courtesy

email to let me know this was going to happen ... this was

done a full 365 days after I signed up ...

Damn, I hate companies like this.

Sure ... I know they are a multi-million dollar company,

but their support system completely sucks in my opinion.

• Level 5

The link works fine for me.

No 403 - just the proper entry fields.

By the way, when Evernote (and other companies) confirm they will put me on annual auto-billing, I add the message to my Evernote account and change the Create Date to the date 12 months away. This reminds me that it is coming up and gives me a chance to decide ahead of time.

I know the form works ... but when you try and submit anything,

it shows a 403 error. Basically, the form is useless ...

I'm deeply sorry for the inconvenience. We have an application-level firewall on our web-servers which interpreted part of what you'd submitted in the form as an attack (hence the 403 error). Those filters were a bit overzealous, which was my fault entirely. I've corrected the problem however, so the support form should work as expected for you now.

Humble apologies,

-Chris

- No telephone number on their site.

New to the planet? Many, many, many companies are like that. I know you're severely peeved. But seriously, what difference on this holiday weekend, does it make if you make contact on Sunday or Monday? Tues is the first business day, here in the USA, so take a deep breath.

Also, yes, the form has worked for me every time I've tested it when others have complained, in the past, about it not working. I didn't try it this time. But I see an EN employee has addressed this concern.

Thanks for the firewall related help Chris :)

Chris - you might want to look into the customer support email as well.

Every single Paypal reciept Evernote sends lists en-support@evernote.com

as the official customer support email.

However, sending an email to this address does not work. It just gets

bounced back because it does "not contain a valid case number".

Maybe the support system should auto generate a ticket number etc.

If Evernote is going to charge people a year in advance, without even

a courtesy reminder email - then there will be people like me who will

try and contact support via the official email listed in the Paypal reciept.

At the moment, this simply doesn't work ...

Thanks again Chris!

Thanks for the firewall related help Chris :)

Sure, happy to be of service.

Chris - you might want to look into the customer support email as well.

Every single Paypal reciept Evernote sends lists en-support@evernote.com

as the official customer support email.

However, sending an email to this address does not work. It just gets

bounced back because it does "not contain a valid case number".

Maybe the support system should auto generate a ticket number etc.

Thanks for bringing this up, and for the suggestion. I wasn't in the loop as to exactly why it was setup that way, but I'll definitely pass this info along to the the head of our support department and see what they want to do.

I am a premium user who has recently tried to report a problem to Evernote through the web form (last week and maybe the week before). After posting basically the same problem several times with no response (not even an acknowledgement) and checking my spam folder, I began to think there was something the matter with the communication path. So two days ago I resorted to sending an email to the address (en-support@evernote.com) used in their previous support emails. There has been no response to that message either (but, at least I have a record of sending it) so I am posting here since there is nothing else left to do and hoping that someone from EN will respond. There is no support phone number so if this does not work my only option will be (gasp) the postal service. Help!

I am a premium user who has recently tried to report a problem to Evernote through the web form (last week and maybe the week before). After posting basically the same problem several times with no response (not even an acknowledgement)

See my sig.

To metrodon & BurgersNFries - thanks for your response but I have already tried the option you both suggest several times and have not received the automated response. My question is where to I go from here. There does not seem to be another way to request support.

To metrodon & BurgersNFries - thanks for your response but I have already tried the option you both suggest several times and have not received the automated response. My question is where to I go from here. There does not seem to be another way to request support.

It's something on your end b/c I just tried it & received the auto reply with case number within seconds. So I don't

know what to tell you. Did you check your junk/spam filter?

@annvwuelfing

I have checked our ticketing system and I can confirm that we have received several case from you over the last couple of weeks. We have responded to all the cases that were submitted and we are still awaiting a response to the resolution that we provided. All of the tickets that we responded to were responded to within 1 business day. For your reference the ticket numbers that we responded to are as follows:

248022 - opened 5/27/11 responded on 5/27

248650 - opened 5/28/11 responded on 5/28

We sent all of the responses to the email address we have on file that is associated to your Evernote Account, please check your spam folder as we never got a bounce back from your ISP as undelivered. We would be happy to resend you our responses, if you have another email address please PM me with it and I will ensure we forward our original responses to a different email address.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Hi Phil - thanks for your note. I have no idea where these things are going. They are not in my spam folder. I have had other problems in the past and your emails got through with no problem. The email you should have on file is annvwuelfing@sbcglobal.net. You can try either annvwuelfing@gmail.com or annvwuelfing@um.att.com. The first is routed to my sbcglobal account the second is not. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if you could resend the messages addressed to all three and I can see where it ends up. Please post here again when you have resent do I will know when to look. Thanks. Ann

Hi Phil - thanks for your note. I have no idea where these things are going. They are not in my spam folder. I have had other problems in the past and your emails got through with no problem. The email you should have on file is annvwuelfing@sbcglobal.net. You can try either annvwuelfing@gmail.com or annvwuelfing@um.att.com. The first is routed to my sbcglobal account the second is not. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if you could resend the messages addressed to all three and I can see where it ends up. Please post here again when you have resent do I will know when to look. Thanks. Ann

I have forwarded the two tickets that you submitted to the additional email addresses that you provided. Please let us know if you received them.

Hi Phil - I received the notes on the at&t address only and have replied on ticket #248650. The suggestions did not work but I have sent more activity logs. Please ask Anirban (and anyone else working on the ticket) to continue to use at least the sbcglobal.net and um.att.com ones on any further emails so I can continue to research that problem as well. Thanks for your help. Ann

WARNING: Do not count on History working on your notes.

WARNING: Do not expect any help from Support.

You all need to be aware that the Note History can be unreliable. Worse yet, when I submitted a support ticket I got a reply that claimed the note in question had been created the day before I submitted the ticket and that I had made up the creation date. When I responded to that email quite strongly I received no reply at all. Thusly I received no help - only a false accusation.

The note in question is class notes which were taken on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 directly into Evernote. Thus, the note was indeed created on May 10th at 6:28 PM. I accidentally replaced the note title on the 31st and that must have somehow wiped out the note versioning as well. However, as I said above - instead of helping me figure that out (and I am still only guessing here) the support person accused me of creating the note on the 31st then changing the creation date to pretend it had been created on the 10th!! I am still shocked, disgusted, and saddened at that reply from Evernote Support. I had expected far better than that!

Here is what I wrote in my original note to the support team. I also wrote it here on the forum first but another user suggested I open the support ticket.

Last night I went to copy the subject line of a note and accidentally pasted in something instead - deleting the title of the note. I realized my mistake immediately but could not seem to undo it. I opened note history and it showed only the modified version. I looked on the web and can only see the same one too. The note says: Created:Tuesday, May 10 2011, 6:28 PM Modified:Tuesday, May 31 2011, 6:22 PM but I can only access the version modified yesterday [May 31]. I cannot access the correct version to import it. It simply does not show and the only note that will import/export is the one with a paragraph for a subject line.

This is the second time I have had something like this happen. With the current note - I can easily retype the subject line in but last time I lost valuable content. I want to get the history working right. Additionally, I am teaching a class next week on how to use Evernote so want to make sure I can show how History can be used. Either I am not understanding how to make Note History work or it is not working.

Actually it saves every 8 hours so that would not have been the problem - because the note had been in existence for 21 days before I accidently changed the title/subject line.

I just received a reply from Support. (Thank you Support!) Here is what they have to say about it.

Sorry for the delay in response - we've been checking with our engineering team to get the most complete answer for you.

Our versioning is based on the content of the note. If you only changed the title (or made other metadata changes), we wouldn't version the contents. Based on your initial description, we believe that what happened here.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Last night I went to copy the subject line of a note and accidentally pasted in something instead - deleting the title of the note. I realized my mistake immediately but could not seem to undo it. I opened note history and it showed only the modified version. I looked on the web and can only see the same one too. The note says: Created:Tuesday, May 10 2011, 6:28 PM Modified:Tuesday, May 31 2011, 6:22 PM but I can only access the version modified yesterday [May 31]. I cannot access the correct version to import it. It simply does not show and the only note that will import/export is the one with a paragraph for a subject line.

I am confused. If all you changed was the title, could you not search for the note using the new title, and then change the title back to what it was?

My wife and I have separate evernote accounts (hers is premium). She has forgotten her password. The obvious solution of resetting the password has not proven successful (no email is ever received with reset instructions). The odd thing is that attempting to open a support ticket or even registering for the forum has also not resulted in any emails. I noticed a similar situation on the forum titled "Evernote Support – Do they ever respond?" in which it appears that there was some sort of problem (at least initially) in receiving emails from Evernote. My account, on the other hand (and my email), has not had any of these problems. My wife has no spam filters or any sort of 3rd party email white-listing - so I can't figure out how or why she can't receive any emails from Evernote. I am not sure what steps I need to take from here to get her up and going again. I tried to open a case for her (Case 251481) but haven't heard anything in response. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

OK, the ticket was opened under my account (which isn't premium) - but it is regarding my wife's account which is. It was opened three business days ago.

You should have used the premium account. Free accounts are serviced as time permits.

But that is the problem that I stated originally. I tried to open the ticket via the premium account, but I never received an email confirming the ticket had been opened. Nothing. I tried this at least 5 times. I don't know what is happening to the emails, but since someone else has had this same issue (stated in the forum "Evernote Support – Do they ever respond?") I think it is more than just a coincidence. I would like to open the ticket via the premium account, but it just doesn't seem possible. The email used for the premium account is through AT&T/yahoo.

In searching the forums for a solution to my problem, I ran across another post that states that "now AT&T, isn't letting the Evernote automated reset email through" from "Need to reset password but automated emails not received". Is this true? This would explain my problem. Is there a way around this issue?

We have contacted ATT directly and are working with them to allow mail from our servers be successfully delivered to the customers email box. From time to time ISPs do block legitimate emails and we have to contact them to allow emails from being blocked.

@metrodon

Thank you for the suggestion, metrodon, I had not realized I could do that. I had tried to delete the post when support sent the second email however a post cannot be deleted once there is a reply on it - which there was one.

@smaviglia

Yes, changing the title line back was easy to do and I said that in my original support request and in my reply to supports first email. The reason I was concerned and wrote to support was that to me it boded of a larger problem with note history. Even the first reply from support indicated a bigger problem because they did not show the original note at all and were saying that I CREATED the note on the day the problem occurred even though the note had been in existence for 21 days before my mistake.

Also, the only other time I ever tried to use note history it also did not work for me. In that case I think I tried to find the history too soon after I accidently deleted some body content. Maybe if I had waited over 8 hours the changed note would have shown up and the original version would have then showed up in note history. I don't know.

The thing about the support issue is all it would have taken was for them to send a reply email saying they were escalating the question up to their engineering team. I would have been very patient. But instead I went 4 days with no reply at all to my email refuting their statement that I had created the note on the 31st and changed the creation date. I truly thought I was not going to hear back from them which is why I posted here. And since the reply came a day after I made the above post I have to wonder if this did not stimulate them to take action. I don't know.

• 1 month later...

Any other Premium users experience disappointing customer support? I've reached out for support very few times this past year but response has been slow. It is particularly frustrating when I take the time to put ALL the relevant information into the original support request only to have the tech respond and ask me the questions I've already answered (effectively delaying a resolution for another 24 hours while I wait for the next response). Argh!

Brett,

Can you give me the ticket number you're referring to? They shouldn't be asking you for more information if you've already provided exactly what we've asked for. In some cases, for example, people fill out a ticket and will put "N/A" in the activity log section, rather than putting in their activity log, so we'll need to then request the log from them.

We're in the middle of switching over to a new system, so I apologize that the tech missed the name of your note in the detail. I didn't see a reply from you to the last question they sent, but I asked them to send another clarification message to you as well.

• 1 month later...

Since the new ticket system has been introduced,

i wrote 3 inquiries in the last 4 weeks and none were answered.

Each time i got the "ticket was sent" confirmation. Evernote support used to answer within 1 business day. That's really frustrating since the topic is severe for me.

The problem is on the Mac, that sometimes pictures i have included in evernote, sometimes after a few days just disappear with only a blue box with a white question mark replacing them. It frequently happened with images copied from PPT files, but also others.

I can reproduce it when i do the following, but sometimes it happened without me doing anything like that:

When i drag and drop a picture from evernote into photoshop, most of the time it works flawlessly. However, sometimes evernote asks: the picture already exists, do you want to replace it. When i click cancel, nothing happens at first. When you then right click on that picture in evernote, the option "open with" disappears and when you relaunch Evernote, the picture is gone and a question mark is there instead in a blue box. Strikingly along with that usually more than just that picture disappear, in different notes from different days and different notebooks. I use evernote for work as a scientist and it is absolutely essential that i can rely on evernote storing the files in a way that i can get them back. If pictures randomly disappear after a certain time, then there is no reliable way to use it for my purpose and a lot of work can be lost since i don't keep the originals after uploading and successfully syncing.

Anyone any suggestions on both issues? (no reply from premium support and the pictures disappearing)

Thanks,

Ali

Yes, please supply your ticket number(s) (either here or via PM) and I'll look into it. Sorry you haven't received any responses, that is strange. I can guarantee you we've been strictly adhering to the 1 day premium response time.

i didn't get any ticket number.

After submitting it said ticket successfully submitted but i didn't receive any email. i did it three times already.

Maybe the new system is not reliable to go through? Is there another way? I checked my junk- and spam mail

It's possible something is catching it on the way out--or we're emailing to another email you have on file. Private message me your Evernote username and I'll try to find your tickets that way. Tried your forum name and it's not coming up.

To reiterate (for anyone reading this in the future), if you do not receive an automated email with a ticket/case number, the ticket was not submitted. So don't wait for several days & then get annoyed b/c you've not received a reply.

This too. Thanks for reiterating. In rare cases there is a problem with email. In most cases, it's that the ticket request process was not fully completed.

In a "famous-around-here" incident from around a year ago, a user had submitted around 10 cases via our form, and never received a reply from us, then started a flame war against us on the 'net. Turned out he was using autocomplete to fill out the form, and the first time he'd filled it out, he entered his email address wrong.

I did a search in the ticket system via the email used to create this forum account and I had success in tracking down the tickets. The first ticket was submitted to us on 8/27/11 (ticket id 16051-11217) regarding loss of notes. We responded to this request on 8/29 which was a Monday and the ticket was submitted on a Saturday and we do not currently offer support on the weekend. We asked for you to send in an activity log with instructions on how to do this but we did not receive a reply from you so we closed the ticket after 7 days of no response.

We received the next ticket on 9/7 (ticket id 16051-14944) asking for an update. We responded with additional instructions and saying we are closing this case as a duplicate of the original case.

We also received a new ticket on 9/15 (ticket id 16051-17505) that we replied to but have yet to receive a response, this was responded to within 3 hours of the ticket being opened

We also have an active ticket open (ticket id 16051-16586) that you responded to on 9/15 that is awaiting a response from us.

Sounds like due diligence was applied.

Yes. I'd have to say that whenever someone has complained on these boards about the lack of a timely reply for a premium customer that ~95% of the time, EN did indeed respond & then never heard back from the user b/c there was something funky going on on the receiving end (of the emails sent by EN) either b/c they went to a spam/junk folder or were bounced back or user was checking a different email account. IIRC, the other ~5% has been when the ticket system did have an issue.

• 1 month later...

My main question is: How can I change my username? I have a premium account.

Also, I tried to submit a support ticket, but, when I got to the support page, I was prompted to login. When I logged in, it took me to my Evernote notebooks. There was no way to submit a support ticket.

Something on the site is broken. I tried this on my laptop and on my tablet. Same result.

Step 1: Go to the help page.

Step 2: There's a 'login' link on the top right of the page- click it.

Step 3: I'm logged in and taken out of the Help page and into the page with my notebooks.

Step 4: Go to the help page again.

Step 5: The login link is there again. The system thinks I'm not logged in, so I can't submit a ticket.

Step 6: Try again. Login. As before, it takes me to my notebooks and out of the Help system.

I have tested out submitting a ticket at http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support and the site is working fine. As BurgensNFries stated you do not need to login to submit a ticket, you just need to provide your username and email address for routing purposes. For Premium customers we do offer the ability to change your username. Please submit a ticket via the link above requesting a username change and we will start the process for you.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks... I finally got it to work. It was a bit confusing though. I filled out the form on the bottom and included my Evernote username. And the eternal loop started. But, if I left the username field blank, it worked.

So, I did submit a ticket. Let me know what else you might need from me. Thanks again!

There was a site maintenance (of our support portal) happening last night that caused this - Evernote Support is closed on the weekends, and we statistically receive extremely few requests during the time window of the maintenance . Sorry for any inconvenience you experienced.

There was a site maintenance (of our support portal) happening last night that caused this - Evernote Support is closed on the weekends, and we statistically receive extremely few requests during the time window of the maintenance . Sorry for any inconvenience you experienced.

Good to know that too.

The site should present a e.g. "Maintenance in Process. Please try later" message when in this state.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As soon as I updated to 4.1.3 (iPad 2 16gb wifi, iOS 5) editing any note on my iPad became impossible. Evernote was crashing at every attempt to edit either a new or an existing note. I did the uninstall - restart iPad - reinstall from computer dance. I tried to create another account to see if it was one specific existing note creating the problem... no avail. I submitted a ticket, sent the log... all the usual procedure. I also sent some further information on how the bug seemed to manifest, and offered to provide any further information they might need from me. After two weeks the support ticket gets closed since "the developers have all the needed information". I patiently waited for 4.1.4.

4.1.4 came, and the problem was still there, manifesting exactly the same way. Create new note, type one character: at the second character, crash. Opened a second support ticket. Re-sent the log. Re-did the uninstall vodoo. Customer service people answered apologizing and saying they would speak with the developers because this "is not acceptable". I kind of agreed. Two weeks, the ticket is closed because "the developers had all the information". Waited for 4.1.5.

4.1.5 is here, and nothing changed. Evernote is unusable on my iPad. In the meantime I had a conference, countless business meetings. Another conference is coming next week, and I'm stuck with emailing my notes to Evernote from my the iPad mail app (or using the laptop, which defeats the purpose of having an iPad).

I'm a premium user. I don't need the increased upload quota. I don't need all the other perks except the offline notebooks on my iOS devices (which is of little use if I cannot use Evernote on the iPad). I pay because I like the application and the functionality, I'm using it regularly and I believe it is right to support a company that provides me a service I find useful.

I am aware, being a programmer myself, that bugs appear, that some of them are nasty and difficult to discover. I refrained so far from cancelling my premium subscription or giving bad rating to Evernote on the App Store. I notified a problem, I asked for a solution I waited for it over three versions.

The solution did not come, and I am not particularly inclined to open another support case, given the utterly useless responses I got in the first two. At this point I'm severely disappointed. My probelm was not solved, and I strongly suspect it was not addressed either. I could have sent the crash logs that my iPad produces, where, e.g the crashing thread is specified. I could have authorized Evernote to look into my notes to see of there was something causing the crash (I don't think so but anyway...). I made myself available for beta testing, and was not "admitted" to it. My contacts with support were always polite and timely, but never contained the smallest bit of useful information. Evernote support for me was a black hole. A very polite one though.

This has turned into the most frustrating app experience I ever had on iOS, more so because I rely on Evernote heavily. Since being patient and helpful does not seem to work, perhaps being a bit more vocal will?

Let's see.

L.

IME, if you do not respond for a week on a ticket, it gets automatically closed. If you do not receive a reply after a day or two, I would suggest you keep the ticket alive by replying to the last email you received from EN & asking what the status is.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am new to Evernote but already I am amazed with the applications of this program, but I am having a few issues.

Since using this program I have taken the opportunity to email photos of bills to myself to keep an on-line filing system and noticed that the photos are always on their side never the correct way up - which is annoying to say the least. I have tried to correct this but there is no facility in place that I can see in Evernote to do this.

Instead of bothering all of you with a typical newbie question that most users roll their eyes on or just ignore I contacted Evernote support with this issue to see if they could help me and below is their response to what I thought was a pretty annoying issue.

My question was - "can you email a photo and have it the right way up and not on its side"

"Dear Daniel,

Thank you for contacting Evernote support, we apologize for the inconvenience, as this is not possible at the moment.

We will be sure to pass on the information you've provided to the product development team for discussion.

We thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Regards, "

My question to you guys is - do you all have the same problem? Is it an issue for you and how to you get around this or do you just accept it?

Many thanks

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

1. You should bug us first. Some of the users here are more knowledgable than Evernote staff. That's how it goes when you have fanatical users.

2. It is a bug. They should have told you that. I have reported it, and I think others have as well. It seems to occur whenever emailing from an i-device.

3. It is easily solved. Open the offending image in Preview, rotate it, save it, and you are done.

4. A search on the forums often turns up valuable advice. Here is a recent thread on the topic:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22271-images-uploaded-with-the-wrong-orientation/page__p__115659__hl__image%20preview__fromsearch__1#entry115659

Glad to have you here :(

Actually, GrumpyMonkey, if I'm understanding the issue correctly - DanB is asking why Evernote does not read EXIF orientation data that is added to the image by his camera. It is *not* a bug that Evernote does not do this. We have said in many places and at many times that we do not parse EXIF orientation data, and that we will consider it a feature request. That some of our clients who use browsers for note display may be able to properly orient those notes is not a bug either, or a design choice, or anything at all - it happens to be a coincidence, as the browser (not our product) is parsing the EXIF metadata, not Evernote.

I'm the first to call a bug a bug around here - but this ain't one.

• Level 5*

I am afraid I cannot comment on whether it is the EXIF data, but what you are saying kind of makes sense.

I have contacted support and they explained that I need to open things that I send to Evernote and re-orient them. I wish they would have mentioned why this is necessary (this is something I would like to see more of for every support ticket). I have to say that I was quite flummoxed. After all, this essentially means that every time I use my mobile device I have to fire up the computer to reorient things.

Anyhow, I'll go along with your contention that this is not a bug, but a "feature request." However, I think it is a serious problem (enough that I have given up mailing in my receipts for now) that has resulted in bizarre inconsistencies among Evernote platforms. If Evernote is not reading the EXIF data, what is it doing when it flips things around?

IPAD

1. The thumbnails in the iPad show the images askew

2. But, the images are right-side up in the note itself

OSX

3. The thumbnails in my Mac show the images right-side up

4. The images in my notes are askew!

WEB

5. All of my thumbnails show the pictures askew (in this case turned sideways in the same direction)

6. All of the images match the thumbnails!

The point is that Evernote isn't flipping your images, your camera is. Evernote is displaying them as they were actually taken (with your phone/camera sideways, upside down, etc). Your camera is adding a software hack overlayed on the image to make it display right-side-up.

Here's some more information on that:

http://sylvana.net/j...rientation.html

http://how-to.wikia....per_orientation

And as I mentioned, there are some parts of Evernote that use browser-based views (like the Snippet thumbnails) and can read EXIF data, but that is a browser integration, not Evernote code.

• Level 5*

@DanB -- so why are you unhappy with support? There is no workaround available, and support can't fix problems, but they're passing the information on to the dev staff. What did they do that was so wrong?

• Level 5*

The point is that Evernote isn't flipping your images, your camera is. Evernote is displaying them as they were actually taken (with your phone/camera sideways, upside down, etc). Your camera is adding a software hack overlayed on the image to make it display right-side-up.

Here's some more information on that:

http://sylvana.net/j...rientation.html

http://how-to.wikia....per_orientation

And as I mentioned, there are some parts of Evernote that use browser-based views (like the Snippet thumbnails) and can read EXIF data, but that is a browser integration, not Evernote code.

Thanks heather. So, if I understand you correctly, then the following is true:

IPAD

1. The thumbnails in the iPad show the images askew [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

2. But, the images are right-side up in the note itself [Reading ENIX, browser-based views]

OSX

3. The thumbnails in my Mac show the images right-side up [Reading ENIX, browser-based views]

4. The images in my notes are askew! [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

WEB (Chrome)

5. All of my thumbnails show the pictures askew (in this case turned sideways in the same direction) [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

6. All of the images match the thumbnails! [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

Thanks heather. So, if I understand you correctly, then the following is true:

IPAD

1. The thumbnails in the iPad show the images askew [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

2. But, the images are right-side up in the note itself [Reading ENIX, browser-based views]

OSX

3. The thumbnails in my Mac show the images right-side up [Reading ENIX, browser-based views]

4. The images in my notes are askew! [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

WEB (Chrome)

5. All of my thumbnails show the pictures askew (in this case turned sideways in the same direction) [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

6. All of the images match the thumbnails! [Not reading ENIX, no browser-based views]

Yes, that's correct. You may *also* find that if you use the mobile web view, or if you use a different browser than Chrome, or are on different OS's (Windows, Linux), the orientation of images may or may not match the EXIF data. (The web thumbnails will always be the same, but the actual note display may be different. It's really enough (to borrow an old American colloquialism) to drive someone to drink.

Suffices to say, *we* aren't doing anything specifically to make this happen or not happen. At some point in time I would really like to see us have some sort of consistent treatment - or get image rotation into more of the clients faster (it's currently in Evernote Windows Phone.)

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote employees (like myself) post ocasionally, but if you need help with your account, Support does not read the posts here - you will need to file a support ticket (there's a link in my signature).

Support is not only for Premium users

• Level 5*

Evernote staff read every post, as nearly as I can tell. They do not always respond. Doesn't matter if you're a paying customer or not.

You can always file support inquiries (see the link in my sig), but paying customers get priority.

• Level 5*

this is a user forum. but, evernote staff are around commenting.

you'll get no roadmaps, and even when you do (the rumored "due date" feature), no eta. given all of the suggestions that come up in the forums, and the (probably) complicated process of deciding whether or not to implement a feature (over a dozen different platforms to consider, and probably several teams of people involved) i wouldn't expect evernote to reply to each and every idea. i am sure they appreciate the input, though :)

sometimes you get lucky. i was recently told that one of my suggestions wouldn't be implemented! too bad, but no big deal. i guess i was so far beyond the pale that they felt ok making a decision :)

• Level 5*
Alright, thanks for your reply team! Than no response to my other questions/proposals simply means, "yeah, with read it, it might be somewhere on the planning list for future rollouts but we have no idea yet when that will be" ?

Something like that; emphasis on 'might be'.

Archived