(Archived) Need to only have a local copy of Evernote

123BigRed

Idea

14 replies to this idea

BurgersNFries...is the way you do this by setting Sync to Manual and not syncing or is there some other way?

Martin...exactly - It would be really helpful if there was a simple preference item that removed cloud based syncing...even better would be to have syncing options of cloud, wifi, usb, none...but now I'm being greedy

BurgersNFries...is the way you do this by setting Sync to Manual and not syncing or is there some other way?

Yes. And, as MP said, if you work in an environment where this is tightly controlled, you may not be able to do this to your manager's satisfaction.

It would be really helpful if there was a simple preference item that removed cloud based syncing...even better would be to have syncing options of cloud, wifi, usb, none...but now I'm being greedy

Evernote has created an app that people can potentially use as long as they like without paying a cent. However, the people behind Evernote corp also need to pay rent, buy groceries, school clothes for kids, etc. The money making part of the operation is the cloud storage & associated tools. So of course, they prefer users "taper on" & eventually switch to a premium account, which allows indexing of PDFs & more upload allowance. Therefore, it's doubtful they will do any thing more than what they've already done with regard to disabling syncing. (Which is still pretty good & painless, if you ask me - make local notebooks & disable auto sync. Can't find any fault with that.)

Regarding other syncing methods:

No, we don't plan to ever implement client-to-client synchronization.

I finally realized where to set the notebooks as local...that is easy.

One more question...it looks like you have to have one notebook synchronized and only synchronized notebooks can be set as default...is that correct or is there a way to remove all non-local notebooks (whenever I try and delete the synchronize/default I can see the delete notebook option, but when pressed it doesn't do anything)

only synchronized notebooks can be set as default...is that correct

Yes.

It doesn't seem to let you make a local folder the default folder...

Correct. The default notebook needs to be a sync'd one because there are a few ways that notes can get sent to your Evernote account (IE if you forward something by email) and so it needs to go to a notebook that resides in the cloud.

Just create Local Notebooks, they will never be sync'd.

Hello Forum,

this comment is exactly, what my questian is about.

I would like to use EN for important data, which i have to store over a longer time-period. To be honest: I am oldfashined, and I dont like to be dependent on the cloud. I dont need no Syncronisation, only EN on my Desktop. I know, that i can create local Notebooks, but what happens, if my hard disc crashes? Is there no way to export an EN-file, which contains all Notebooks and that I can store at an other place than my workplace?

Thanks & cheers

Just create Local Notebooks, they will never be sync'd.

Hello Forum,

this comment is exactly, what my questian is about.

I would like to use EN for important data, which i have to store over a longer time-period. To be honest: I am oldfashined, and I dont like to be dependent on the cloud. I dont need no Syncronisation, only EN on my Desktop. I know, that i can create local Notebooks, but what happens, if my hard disc crashes? Is there no way to export an EN-file, which contains all Notebooks and that I can store at an other place than my workplace?

Thanks & cheers

Yes, with Mac & Windows desktop clients, you can do your own backups. Please search the board on backup/restore. This has already been discussed a lot.

Archived