REQUEST: Click-order note merging

peterfmartin

Idea

When I merge notes they always get sorted by date updated (or perhaps by date created; I just always view by date updated, and those are often the same for my notes), rather than by order clicked. For example, if I (as I did just now) try to order the following three notes

Newest (third clicked)

Middle (first clicked)

Oldest (second clicked)

they appear in the single note in that order, newest at the top, then middle, then oldest.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is a bug, and not how the Mac client is supposed to function, right? If someone can confirm it works differently on their Mac (the way I think it's supposed to work, with click order being the determining factor), I'll file a support ticket.

28 replies to this idea

+1 for this request

I'm an Evernote & Scansnap S1300i newbie, and I've seen the light!

Paperless is the way to go, will improve my mental health instead of the piles of paper I associate with stuff I have to do, and being able to index / archive etc etc, but merging is a pain if it's hard to merge in the order you want..

Cheers

Do Evernote employees monitor these forums?  If so, woud you please comment on the status of this feature request, and where feature requests are tracked.  Thanks!

Yes, Evernote employees read these forums. No, they do not disclose road maps or the status of particular feature requests.

• Level 5*

When I merge notes they always get sorted by date updated (or perhaps by date created; I just always view by date updated, and those are often the same for my notes), rather than by order clicked. For example, if I (as I did just now) try to order the following three notes

Newest (third clicked)

Middle (first clicked)

Oldest (second clicked)

they appear in the single note in that order, newest at the top, then middle, then oldest.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is a bug, and not how the Mac client is supposed to function, right? If someone can confirm it works differently on their Mac (the way I think it's supposed to work, with click order being the determining factor), I'll file a support ticket.

Yup. I continually ask for this as well. It is so bad I rarely merge notes on my Mac. Instead I move them to a folder and then merge them on my work PC which runs Windows. Sad...

I am on Evernote for Mac 6.1.1 (from AppStore) and I am *not* able to merge notes using CMD-click order.  For example, I have notes A, B, and C.  And no matter my click order, they seem to always be merged in the order in which they are listed in the sorted view.  I can make it work with sort order, but CMD-Click would be much, much easier.  Another improvement would be to be able to see the sort order in the the stacked notes window that appears when you select multiple notes.  It seems intutive that window would be giving you a preview of what the final sort order would be, but that does not seem to be the case.

By the way, is there any place in the Evernote Support areas where you can specifically vote for Feature Requests?  Thanks.

• Level 5*

Just tested this on Version 6.0.12 Beta 2 (451600 Direct) and the order that you select the notes is the order that they will be merged,

You cannot see it from there, but I am doing a small happy dance at my desk. 

I anxiously await its release in the App Store.

• Level 5*

+1 for this. I also could not modify the sort order of merged notes, neither before or after merging. Not sure if anyone would find this useful, but it may be interesting to also be able to choose a page as the thumbnail image, like the "key photo" feature in iPhoto.

Seems to me that Evernote could take a page from iOS on iPhones, etc.  If you drag a note onto an other, and wait, they merge.  Once merged, if you don't like the order, select one and drag it to where you want it to be. Like a photo in a word processor.  Like a photo in a note processor.  And UNDO after Merge is a must.  At least CMD-Z.

If iOS did this, it no longer does.

And you can undo a merge. You just delete the merged note and restore the individual notes from the trash. The individual notes are put there when the merge happens.

+1 for this. I also could not modify the sort order of merged notes, neither before or after merging. Not sure if anyone would find this useful, but it may be interesting to also be able to choose a page as the thumbnail image, like the "key photo" feature in iPhoto.

Seems to me that Evernote could take a page from iOS on iPhones, etc.  If you drag a note onto an other, and wait, they merge.  Once merged, if you don't like the order, select one and drag it to where you want it to be. Like a photo in a word processor.  Like a photo in a note processor.  And UNDO after Merge is a must.  At least CMD-Z.

+1 +1 +1

It's now 2014, and I just came upon this thread from 2012 requesting this feature - and I still see no way of doing this on the mac.

This is a pain - because Evernote is forcing me to scan in handwritten notes as jpgs (if I want any optical handwriting recognition on them). When I scan those in from ScanSnap, each page comes in as a single note. in reverse order of date. So, therefore, when I do a merge, all my notes are in reverse order. Therefore, I'm spending my "spare time" (as if that existed) manually rearranging notes. Really?

It wouldn't be so bad if Evernote would just let me scan and recognize handwritten notes as PDFs. But last time I checked, it doesn't.

So, for those of us who take notes that span more than one page, Evernote makes it as painful as possible to digitize these (I can't be the only one who owns a Mac and who writes more than one page of notes, can I??).

Please, please, pretty please Evernote team: help us make taking and capturing multi-page handwritten notes easy. This is the whole point of going paperless.

Thanks for listening.

Notes merge in the order, they are listed. So you just need to reverse the list manually (which is easily done by clicking on the column title of created date) after you have scanned them and then merge them. 

+1 +1 +1

It's now 2014, and I just came upon this thread from 2012 requesting this feature - and I still see no way of doing this on the mac.

This is a pain - because Evernote is forcing me to scan in handwritten notes as jpgs (if I want any optical handwriting recognition on them). When I scan those in from ScanSnap, each page comes in as a single note. in reverse order of date. So, therefore, when I do a merge, all my notes are in reverse order. Therefore, I'm spending my "spare time" (as if that existed) manually rearranging notes. Really?

It wouldn't be so bad if Evernote would just let me scan and recognize handwritten notes as PDFs. But last time I checked, it doesn't.

So, for those of us who take notes that span more than one page, Evernote makes it as painful as possible to digitize these (I can't be the only one who owns a Mac and who writes more than one page of notes, can I??).

Please, please, pretty please Evernote team: help us make taking and capturing multi-page handwritten notes easy. This is the whole point of going paperless.

Thanks for listening.

Re: Source notes are deleted.

I recently discovered on the Windows desktop app, at least, there is a "trash" category at the bottom left under notebooks, tags, searches, etc. You can un-delete notes there. That way you can have the merged note as well as the individual notes.

For the Mac client: please allow custom ordering when "merging notes"--either by allowing subject line sorting or drag/drop.

(If this feature is in, I can dump scrivener and possibly another program. Also, I would be happy to send croissants or anything else to the developers. Thank you!)

No matter what order I click to select them for a merge, the back of the card still shoves its way to the front. Have tried reversing the click order, but that doesn't have an impact. The time stamps are identical since the scanner did a duplex scan.

Yes, I understand that clicking order does not do the trick. Sorting order does. They merge in the order, they're listed. And there are other ways to list notes than by creation date. You could try doing a small edit in the frontside note (an empty space perhaps) and sort by update date. Or rename the notes to sort in the right order alphabetically. My bet is, you'll have to rename one of notes anyway.

Although it is a bit inconvenient, I agree... it's really not that difficult either. The notes always merge in the order, they're listed (at least this is a reliable behaviour in snippet view). Thus not a big issue for me.

Not quite.

I'm scanning business cards into Evernote, many of which have hand written jottings on the back. Those, I want to merge into one note (front + back = note).

The front scans first, the back second (duplex scan on Fujitsu ScanSnap). They appear in Evernote as individual notes in that order. Front first, back second.

No matter what order I click to select them for a merge, the back of the card still shoves its way to the front. Have tried reversing the click order, but that doesn't have an impact. The time stamps are identical since the scanner did a duplex scan.

Hopefully, someone at Evernote is actually working on this. Given the time since Browncoat submitted the support ticket, it doesn't look good.

Although it is a bit inconvenient, I agree... it's really not that difficult either. The notes always merge in the order, they're listed (at least this is a reliable behaviour in snippet view). Thus not a big issue for me.

What I find really annoying is that merging notes deletes all the notes and combines a new (instead of inserting the other notes in the first). This means that any links to the first note will be broken.

Agreed. Much though I love Evernote,this is one of the [unfortunately far too many] examples of functionality that is so fundamentally 'wrong' it leaves you shaking your head in disbelief. And the fact that pre-determining the order of merged notes seems to involve crossed-fingers and voodoo is compounded by the lack of an undo, if the notes don't merge in the correct order -which requires you having to re-import all the component parts and try again...

...and again...

...and again...

Unfortunately yes. I came from the windows client which allows click order and presents the merged notes in the order selected when merged, not based on a date. A great feature to be sure, and one that is sorely missing in Mac. I opened a support ticket nine months ago and the comment was:

"I will forward this information on to our Engineering Team. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused."

Still waiting for the fix.

Archived