Best way to do a table or spreadsheet in Evernote

I often want to put notes in Evernote that are in some sort of table or spreadsheet format. I don't need to do any fancy spreadsheet stuff. Just raw data. The problem is I often don't know ahead of time how many cells I will need. And I often just need to add cells or tweak things. I've found the table tool included in Evernote to be completely worthless. I need to guess ahead of time how big the table is going to be, and when typing within the table, the formatting is just kind of...screwy.

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it? It's actually something I do pretty often in the 3 years I've been using Evernote, I'm kinda surprised this isn't something that has ever been fixed or added.

• Level 5

No need for Evernote to become a spreadsheet program.

There is an easy solution when you need advanced spread sheet capabilities.

Just drag an Excel spreadsheet into a note.

No need for Evernote to become a spreadsheet program.

There is an easy solution when you need advanced spread sheet capabilities.

Just drag an Excel spreadsheet into a note.

The problem is that I really don't need advanced spreadsheet capabilities. I just want to be able to do a table that I can change the size of later on.

My use case is that I work in quality assurance, and would like to be able to list some test case ideas in evernote. So I'd maybe be able to fix the width of the table (I'd want test case description, priority, pass/fail, and maybe a couple other columns), but I'd need to add more rows as i come up with new test cases. Seriously...who actually knows exactly how big of a table they will need ahead of time? I have been working in software for 12 years and can't think of one time that was the case.

I actually did know that I could drag a spreadsheet into Evernote, but in a sense, that's "too much". Now I suddenly have to have two programs open to do what I need to do. And if I'm going to do it in another program (e.g. Excel or Numbers), then I'm just going to save the file in my cloud file repository, rather than opening evernote and leaving it there.

• Level 5*

The current Mac beta adds functionality for adding and removing rows and columns - nothing about fixing widths though.

Use the right app for the job, if Evernote isn't the right app then use Excel/Numbers/SuperCalc (!) and put it up in the cloud.

I use tables all the time in Evernote - when it is the right tool and I know what I want the table to look like (how many columns x how many rows).

• 3 weeks later...

The issue is width. I have a table now where one column is ridiculously narrow, and nothing I can do will fix it. Making other columns narrower is just leaving those columns with empty space, but the table isn't shifting like it should do. We need to be able to manually control the column width, perhaps by dragging the columns like in Excel. I don't need sophisticated features, but this is a very basic, simple feature. Adding/deleting rows is good--now we need some width control. Now that my table is screwed up, I have no way to fix it, other than an export if that would work, or simply retyping the entire thing.

The issue is width. I have a table now where one column is ridiculously narrow, and nothing I can do will fix it. Making other columns narrower is just leaving those columns with empty space, but the table isn't shifting like it should do. We need to be able to manually control the column width, perhaps by dragging the columns like in Excel. I don't need sophisticated features, but this is a very basic, simple feature. Adding/deleting rows is good--now we need some width control. Now that my table is screwed up, I have no way to fix it, other than an export if that would work, or simply retyping the entire thing.

Noted, but we are doing HTML tables though and it is just a huge pain. The issue is also display/edit on mobile clients *begin headache*

• Level 5*

Noted, but we are doing HTML tables though and it is just a huge pain. The issue is also display/edit on mobile clients *begin headache*

dlu, I think there may be a simple solution to the column width issue: Do NOT specifify any width in the HTML code

This will cause the HTML table to "autosize" based on the text entered in each cell.

A simple way to implement is to allow an entry of "0" for table width when the table is created.

If the user enters "0" you do NOT add any "width" attributes to the table/cell HTML tags.

I know this will work because I have created the HTML table with no "width" in another app and then paste into EN Mac or EN Win.

The autosize works fine in these clients as well as iPhone and iPad.

Do NOT specifify any width in the HTML code This will cause the HTML table to "autosize" based on the text entered in each cell. A simple way to implement is to allow an entry of "0" for table width when the table is created. If the user enters "0" you do NOT add any "width" attributes to the table/cell HTML tags. I know this will work because I have created the HTML table with no "width" in another app and then paste into EN Mac or EN Win. The autosize works fine in these clients as well as iPhone and iPad.

Thanks for the suggestion, played around with it but I'll need to get some time to run it through the gauntlet. It doesn't quite address the manually editable table widths though.

I just realized, you sorta can make columns wider. It's a workaround but type in some text (or even spaces) and the column will get wider.

• 2 months later...

I just realized, you sorta can make columns wider. It's a workaround but type in some text (or even spaces) and the column will get wider.

I see what you are pointing out, but that is kind of the problem; if you type text into one column, the column into which you are typing gets wider and the other columns immediately shrink in size to nearly nothing.

Putting text or characters in the other columns does re-widen them, but it is a bit of a weird work-around!

Is there any way of fixing the width of columns?

• 3 weeks later...

If fixed width cells are too much of a hassle (variable screen widths, different implementations) might I suggest a reasonable compromize would be to allow fixed proportions rather than specified widths? If I have four columns in a table, the logical distribution would automatically be 25%/25%/25%/25%. I should then be able to adjust the proportions manually (fixed width) or allow the tablet to resize based on content (current functionality).

In HTML, it's as easy as "width=25%". As long as the logic validates the total approximation to 100% (eg. 33%/33%/33% in a 3-column table) this should be trivial compared to autosizing.

• Level 5*

In HTML, it's as easy as "width=25%". As long as the logic validates the total approximation to 100% (eg. 33%/33%/33% in a 3-column table) this should be trivial compared to autosizing.

Actually autosizing is the easiest case: When you don't specify a width the HTML engine does the autosize for you based on contents.

I would actually prefer this instead of a size of 100% for the table.

This colapses the table and table columns to fit the text so you don't have a lot of blank space like you do with 100%.

I am always sorting and sifting through lots of related information. My #1 wish is the ability to embed a spreadsheet or worksheet in Evernote and be able to sort on columns from within an Evernote notebook without having to open another software.

I would rather not have to attach a spreadsheet or open Open Office or Excel everytime I need to do this.

This is intuitively essential for me. I don't see how Evernote or other PIMs have no keyed on this.

I don't want to sift through/search through a multitude of notebooks when I could have most of what I need in sortable tables. Anyone else been needing this? I use Evernote for Windows but saw this post and wanted to add my two cents.

• 1 month later...

I agree that sometimes you just want a table in Evernote and not embed Excel.

In Windows, one workaround for column width is to have, say, a two column table,

and put in a continuous "underscore" of about 40-50 characters in the top or bottom

row of the table. That prevents one of the worst problems, that one column diminishes

to a half inch wide.

I've had the same issue. I'm tired of attaching Numbers documents to my notes just to get basic functionality. I still use Numbers documents when I want things to look correctly with images around tables, reflection, etc. especially if I want to password protect my data.

If anyone is interested, I'm working on a solution to the issue discussed in this thread. Basically I use AppleScript to go in and modify my EN 'tables' so additional functionality can be supported. The idea is to substitute what EN gives you with something more productive. It should work with other issues as well, including client-side encryption. I'm in rapid prototype mode right now so if anyone is interested in getting the app when I'm finished, let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

David

I have just tried a 1 pixel width table and the net effect is adaption of all column width to the content of columns.

I guess this will become my default choice from now on..

That might be workaround to many of the requests.

Vincent.

Hum. Sorry there is one complication: autosizing is adapating to the longest word in a given column.

So it could be adjusted by using underscores or any non blanc character for ex. in title (no ideal but usable).

• 1 month later...

I've found the following work around to be a little less of a headache when creating tables for EN when using my iPad. Although I can write HTML/CSS code I'm not extremely fluent.

1. I purchased "ByWord" from the App Store for $2.99 (July 2012 price).
  2. Byword provides for "MultiMarkDown" formatting, which is visually and syntactically much easier to work with than HTML.
  3. Help for creating tables is found here: http://bywordapp.com/markdown/guide.html
  4. To view the table created in ByWord select "Export via Email>Email as Rich Text" (ByWord for iPad has no built-in viewer)
  5. In the newly created email draft select the table now in the message body text and copy to the clipboard.
  6. Delete the email draft.
  7. In Evernote paste your new table.
  8. Also within ByWord, the a table can be exported as auto-generated HTML code and then further tweaked if desired. (I use Textastic to edit a new HTML file and then open in its built-in viewer.)

View the table I created using the example found in the ByWord Guide: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s228/sh/d10e9cf8-739f-408d-a60b-738a3c6ea342/c8e67dfb8d92964ad64cbe9759fed97d

• Level 5*

I've found the following work around to be a little less of a headache when creating tables for EN when using my iPad. Although I can write HTML/CSS code I'm not extremely fluent.

. . .

Sorry, but that is far too complicated and time consuming to use on a regular basis.

I don't see this as being a viable work-around.

Sigh, this seems so essential to me to be able to insert spreadsheets into notes and MOST importantly to be able to SORT on key column fields.

I have searched for a PIM with Android support that can do this forever.

It seems so important to keep track of information in an organized fashion.

I just don't understand why Evernote or some other PIM doesn't jump on this feature. I've seen in numerous other forums where other people are looking for the same thing as I am.

Sigh. Maybe someday.

. . .

Sorry, but that is far too complicated and time consuming to use on a regular basis.

I don't see this as being a viable work-around.

I was really only passing along what works for me in certain situations when I want to insert a new table in EN while using my iPad. Some of your other posts seem to imply a proficiency with HTML code and tables. If so, great! As for me, creating tables in MultiMarkDown is more viable at this time, but not an end-all solution.

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have faced a lot of format errors while just dragging the file into Evernote, must tell its ok at the basic level but as rightly said above if the data is increasing every day then I would still prefer for something better.

Thanks for sharing about autosizing.

Well, haven't really thought of alternatives, will do now.. http://collatebox.com is a new joinee I guess.. :)

• 1 month later...

I was able to import tables from OneNote into Evernote via copying and pasting into an Evernote note via the web browser version. You cannot past tables from OneNote to Evernote via the Windows-based Evernote application (they paste as images.)

But even after the web-based pasting scenario, once the table is in Evernote I am able to add rows and columns - which is great - but they take on a new format (text is tight against the edge of the box.) This is also not a problem, but all of the previously-pasted table contents are formatted with a bit of white space around the perimeter of each text box. So I have mixed formatting in a single table and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the entire table formatted one way or the other.

So I can get tables to work, but they are ugly due to having two different styles that can't be merged.

We don't need Excel-like features supported inside Evernote, but gosh it would be great if we could at least have text tables that have some formatting consistency.

The ONLY workaround I have found is to hand-type ALL of the table data into a new Evernote table -- which is not an option for me because I have many large tables in OneNote.

A bump to this thread, because tables are an essential feature for organising some data. E.g. keeping track of the list of people I send Christmas cards to and their address, spreadsheets for planning/sharing accommodation and travel details of an upcoming holiday, a list of my assets for insurance claim purposes and all other kinds of tabular data like these.

Is there any way to do this using the iPhone/iPad/online tools right now?

To be clear, I don't need a full on spreadsheet (no pivot tables, not even formulae) and having to embed a file means I can't edit or update the table unless I'm on a desktop computer and that computer has the right software installed. I think other people make this point. Google doc spreadsheets are an alternative that I use right now, and I'm checking out collatebox as well, but my life would be much much better if I could put all my data in one place, and Evernote would be an amazing place to put it...

Chris

• 1 month later...

A bump to this thread, because tables are an essential feature for organising some data. E.g. keeping track of the list of people I send Christmas cards to and their address, spreadsheets for planning/sharing accommodation and travel details of an upcoming holiday, a list of my assets for insurance claim purposes and all other kinds of tabular data like these.

I agree with this, but I think that for keeping track of data, there is no need for tables or spreadsheets, but rather a database similar to the beta "forms" feature of Google Docs. I'm amazed that I can't find a (good) cloud tool for that sort of thing, other than very specialized services for books, records, and such.

I think this would be well within the goal of having a manageable and available-everywhere hub for all your information.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to figure out how to edit a spreadsheet on my galaxy note2 from Evernote. I am wanting to use a spreadsheet to log work hours. I have an Excel spreadsheet on a note and can edit it from my PC and it will save the edits. The edits show up on my note2 when I open but will not save the edits made on my note2.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I really like evernote, but to log my workouts I really need to edit spreadsheets in a fast way that is seamlessly syncronized between my pc and my phone.

Evernote handles note just perfectly right now, but AFAIK can't do it with spreadsheets. I'll be glad to switch to evernote to handle my spreadsheets once spreadsheets are supported.

Having only just installed Dropbox myself, I think it might be a better answer for spreadsheets. But I still want more usable tables.

This is the sort of thing where Evernote really ought to form a virtual focus group with a few users.

I would sign up to this in a moment. In the last week I've added 10 EverNotes and 3 Google spreadsheets. It's a slow week because I've been away on holiday and away from home with work, but that 75/25 split is about right. Not supporting tables is a major reason I'd switch from EverNote to a competitor.

You can directly drag o pulling in your Excel into the note or else aftre creating an Excel you can paste it into ur Note but this will cause some format errors, which are really bad when the data is huge. If you are looking for a spreadsheet solution then check out Collatebox http://www.collatebox.com/instead of Evernote, u'll love it..

Have been using CollateBox n must say, its application is tremendous, though a bit on slower side but killer application. Just found some guys uploading videos about usage of CollateBox. Though I'll share it with community here 

& 

Is there any way to do this using the iPhone/iPad/online tools right now?

To be clear, I don't need a full on spreadsheet (no pivot tables, not even formulae) and having to embed a file means I can't edit or update the table unless I'm on a desktop computer and that computer has the right software installed. I think other people make this point. Google doc spreadsheets are an alternative that I use right now, and I'm checking out collatebox as well, but my life would be much much better if I could put all my data in one place, and Evernote would be an amazing place to put it...

Chris

Hey Chris, can completely understand ur use case. I have been using CollateBox n its turning out to be good for my need. And  yes, with CollateBox you can save all your data at one place, they have this concept of maintaining master sheet, its brilliant. I have posted some reference videos which I found, in another thread, do have a look at those.

Thanks.

Krish

I was able to import tables from OneNote into Evernote via copying and pasting into an Evernote note via the web browser version. You cannot past tables from OneNote to Evernote via the Windows-based Evernote application (they paste as images.)

But even after the web-based pasting scenario, once the table is in Evernote I am able to add rows and columns - which is great - but they take on a new format (text is tight against the edge of the box.) This is also not a problem, but all of the previously-pasted table contents are formatted with a bit of white space around the perimeter of each text box. So I have mixed formatting in a single table and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the entire table formatted one way or the other.

So I can get tables to work, but they are ugly due to having two different styles that can't be merged.

We don't need Excel-like features supported inside Evernote, but gosh it would be great if we could at least have text tables that have some formatting consistency.

The ONLY workaround I have found is to hand-type ALL of the table data into a new Evernote table -- which is not an option for me because I have many large tables in OneNote.

If you are working on large table of data n which is a growing list, then I suggest you to get your hands on CollateBox http://www.collatebox.com/ , yes it has pretty good formatting options. Do have a look at their video 

-Janice

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi All,

I have been trying to find a solution with Evernote and table cells. 

The following the solutions I have found.

• Existing note as a template.
    Copy from an existing note which has already applied the cell width percentages.
    Here is a shared Note Template with even column spacing.
    http://www.evernote....499c765f3aaeced 
    Just cut and paste the table size you want into your note.
    Saves you messing around with chrome developer tools.
  • Bookmarklet and edit Source
    Use a bookmarklet to edit the source code of the note and apply the percentages yourself.
    http://seb.so/html-s...-a-bookmarklet/ 

• Chrome Extension Alternote
    https://chrome.googl...hngnommookkneji 
    This lets you edit notes with a tinyMCE wysiwyg editor. 
    You are able to customise table properties.
    You can edit the table to be 100% width and then set table cells to be 30% width etc.

I hope this has helped some people with applying custom formatting to their notes.

It would be nice if Evernote released more features in note editing with TinyMCE and their web browser version since they already are using it http://evernote.com/opensource/.

• Level 5*

Adrian, thank you very much for sharing the Bookmarklet and edit Source and Chrome Extension Alternote.

I haven't had a chance to use either of them yet, but they both look like excellent Evernote tools.

Evernote Developers:  It would be so COOL  :ph34r:  if you would add this capability to the EN Win and  EN Mac clients.  Far too often web pages clipped by either the Evernote Clipper or Clearly have malformed HTML causing undesirable, even obstructive, display.  A tool like this would make it very easy to fix.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

I created a simple table in Pages. All table lines are dropped when I dragged the table to Evernote. Anyone has any tips on this? Many thanks in advance!

Since you are using Pages, this probably won't work for you, but I have had great success creating tables in MS Word, and then copy/paste the table into Evernote.  Other users have reported some success with saving the files as a HTML file, display it, and copy/paste from there into Evernote.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Sometime ago, we released a ton of improvements for Tables/Spreadsheets. You should now be able to delete a row or column, change the color, and drag to resize cells. 

Hi charboyd.  Sorry, but I have to disagree on the "ton of" part.   ;)

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only NEW table features I see are:

1. Drag to resize col (but it is sometimes hard to find the resize point)
  2. Change color of lines and background

(we could add/remove rows/col before)

But you REMOVED these features:

1. Autosize of col to fit text
  2. Set Table size to a % of page
  3. Support for subtables
    1. Clicking in a subtable highlights the entire table, making actual selection near impossible
    2. See my BUG report here

I'm not expecting the full-blown feature set of MS Word, but you guys should take a look at the ease of creation/change and feature set of MS Word as a guide for what would really be useful in Evernote.  If you'd like, I would be happy to provide some suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a request:
I would like to see an addition or 2 in the context menu of the table I've created. Primarily, just an extension of "Insert Row Above" and "Insert Row Below", I'm requesting "Duplicate Row Above" and "Duplicate Row Below".

This would duplicate the same row, and include the content of the selected into the new row.

My Use case: Check boxes in tables are a pain and they have to be added individually I have a 7 column table w/ 4 columns that have check boxes. I just want to add a new row each week w/ check boxes intact.

I want to share this note and have it be easy for others to add the rows w/ the check boxes in-tact as needed. Not spreadsheet worthy, but more than a check list -  with 4 checks and 3 text fields in each row. Basically just duplicate the whole <tr> and drop it above or below.

(on a PC here at work but MAC and iOS at home) 

Thanks,
Matt

• Level 5*

Matt, I like your idea, but it might be better implemented using copy/paste of a row (or rows) just like in Excel and Word.

As a side benefit, if you paste the copied row outside of a table, it would create a new table with that row.

Same process/logic should apply to columns as well.

That might be ideal, but I'm not sure the ROI is there. In the context of these tables being in HTML to begin with, I believe a simpler solution would be a better approach. 
Evernote is already able to program a matching <tr> above or below, this would just be the same thing but include the content along w/ the HTML tags.

From what I've seen, making Microsoft work like HTML or HTML work like Microsoft has generally been a cumbersome undertaking with underwhelming results.

My thoughts: I'd like the context menu w/ a  duplicate row option. I might even sacrifice the real-estate, meaning:  Purge the "Insert Row Above" option, and just have "Insert Row Below", and "Duplicate Row Below".
Maybe, also replace "Insert Column to the left" with "Duplicate Column to the right" as well.

I understand where a good copy row/column,and paste would be cool, It just seems to me like a feature that would have significant overhead in comparison.

Thanks!

- Matt

• Level 5*

I don't really know which method would be the most difficult to implement -- you may very well be right.

I do remember many, many years ago there was this little WYSIWYG HTML editor called FrontPage that handled the copy/paste of of table rows/cols very well.

But either method would be a welcome addition to EN table management.

• 4 weeks later...

I just realized that the current version changed the table style and it is even worst than the old one. This has way too much padding in each cell around the text, consuming an enormous amount of space. I am often using Evernote and a 13" notebook and these huge tables require a lot of unnecessary scrolling. Plus editing my old tables now completely destroys them: rows disconnect from the rest of the table, some cells changes their width while others in the same column don't, etc. So either I don't touch them anymore or I have to make them all new. Both are not really good options. Dear Evernote: When changing features, please make sure that these changes are downwards compatible!

Here some other features I would really appreciate and am honestly surprised that Evernote does not support them since they are pretty basic:

- Ability to change the size of the table

- Ability to change the size of rows and columns

- Ability to copy and paste parts of a table into another one: Right now this creates a table inside a cell which is in pretty much all cases not what I want.

- Ability to mark entire columns: e.g. to change the font style in one specific column to bolt

• 2 months later...

I would like to be able to bring my work from Numbers or Excel into my note and start using it there - I have records that I store using spreadsheets because making tables can be the best way (for me) to see the information. I don't want to re-do the work. 

I am a premium member, using a mac, iPhone and IPad.

CBC

. . . I tried JMichael's suggestion: I took the table from Numbers and pasted it to WORD and then copied it and pasted it to Evernote. It looks a little wonky but it works better. Still, a hassle. I want Evernote to handle it all. It's part of my master plan for simplifying.

Could it be my generation that relied so heavily on spreadsheets? or is this feature hard to pull off? The benefits seem so clear to me, fwiw.

CBC

• 2 months later...

I am new to Evernote and the first thing I want to do is a table where I can specify column widths easily. My needs are simple but how is it I always seem to hit a problem area as soon as I start.  By the way I do not use Microsoft Office so no Excel. There are lots of tables in Office writing software so I shall try one of these if I can find a way of doing it. Has anyone found a better solution PLEASE

• Level 5*

Have you updated to EN Mac 6.1?

It is fairly easy to resize the column widths by mousing over the column border, and drag/drop until the column size is as desired.

If you don't have MS Word, you might try any other software that gives you more control over creating tables, and then copy/paste the table from there into an EN Note.

• 11 months later...
On February 11, 2015 at 5:07 PM, charboyd said:

Sometime ago, we released a ton of improvements for Tables/Spreadsheets. You should now be able to delete a row or column, change the color, and drag to resize cells. 

But I'm still waiting for Table functionality in your iOS versions. I have an iPhone, iPad Air 2 (and now iPad Pro) and a MacBook Air. I use my iOS devices for MOST of my Evernote work. So I am always MOST interested in the features available in the iOS versions. I would think there are more people with a similar use case, considering we are in 2016 and tablets can do so much more now.

You don't allow us to use the Web version on an iOS device, so that isn't even a workaround.

With the new pricing model, the functionality discrepancy between desktop and mobile is even more frustrating. I love Evernote and don't want to leave for another app, but I do expect the mobile apps (I'm most interested in iOS, because that is what I use) to become more feature-rich very soon in order to justify the new cost model.

i hope to hear good news in this area soon!! :)

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, DebiB said:

But I'm still waiting for Table functionality in your iOS versions. I have an iPhone, iPad Air 2...

You might get a better response in an IOS forum, instead of the Mac forum.

afaik   There are no table features in the IOS platform.  

We can use tables if they're already in a note.  I keep a set of templates to add tables on my iPad

I am able to use the web version on my iPad.  When you get that not-available prompt on the mobile web site, hold down the refresh button (circle arrow at the end of the address) and switch to the desktop site

On August 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM, DebiB said:

But I'm still waiting for Table functionality in your iOS versions. I have an iPhone, iPad Air 2 (and now iPad Pro) and a MacBook Air. I use my iOS devices for MOST of my Evernote work. So I am always MOST interested in the features available in the iOS versions. I would think there are more people with a similar use case, considering we are in 2016 and tablets can do so much more now.

You don't allow us to use the Web version on an iOS device, so that isn't even a workaround.

With the new pricing model, the functionality discrepancy between desktop and mobile is even more frustrating. I love Evernote and don't want to leave for another app, but I do expect the mobile apps (I'm most interested in iOS, because that is what I use) to become more feature-rich very soon in order to justify the new cost model.

i hope to hear good news in this area soon!! :)

Hi @DebiB,

As @DTLow pointed out, requests like this can go in the iOS Product Feedback thread. You can find the link below:

iOS Product Feedback

With respect to visiting the web version on an iOS device, a workaround you might have some luck with is using Chrome for iOS, which has a "Request Desktop Site" mode.

• Open Chrome for iOS
  • Navigate to evernote.com
  • Tap the 'three dots' in the upper right hand corner
  • Tap Request Desktop Site

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

On August 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM, DTLow said:

You might get a better response in an IOS forum, instead of the Mac forum.

afaik   There are no table features in the IOS platform.  

We can use tables if they're already in a note.  I keep a set of templates to add tables on my iPad

I am able to use the web version on my iPad.  When you get that not-available prompt on the mobile web site, hold down the refresh button (circle arrow at the end of the address) and switch to the desktop site

Hi, DTLow.

Agreed regarding the iOS Forum. I must not have been running on all cylinders when I posted! I started out on the iOS forum and tried to make sure all my searches on the topic of 'tables' remained in that forum, but I obviously strayed! My apologies! Although, ideally, my feedback would reach the level in Evernote (company) that has overall decision-making power over the strategy of allowing each platform to look and function differently. But I'm sure they don't really care what I think! ;)

I really appreciated your suggested workaround for accessing Evernote Web on an iOS device. Hadn't thought of trying that even though I use that option in Safari a lot. I've been using it since I saw your suggestion and it has helped me out in a number of ways!! However, I've found I can't scroll beyond the first screen of an existing note. In the 'Notes' view, I can scroll in the left-hand list of Notes, but when attempting to scroll in the note on the right side, the whole app screen moves up and down instead. No change if I switch to full-screen view of the note.

I also lost a chunk of content at the end of a large existing note after viewing/editing it in Evernote Web in Safari. I did very little to the note while there and I could only access the first screen, so I don't know what I could have done to cause the content loss at the end of the note, which was several screens down. So now, I only work with new notes and then copy/paste my work once I'm back in the iOS version. 

I assume you are successful using Evernote Web on an iOS device? In Safari...? Can you view the entirety of multiple-screen notes?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DebiB said:

I assume you are successful using Evernote Web on an iOS device? In Safari...? Can you view the entirety of multiple-screen notes?

I use It very seldom, only when I have to.  EN recommends using the IOS app instead of Web access.

For scrolling down, there is an invisible scroll bar on the right side.  If you hit it just right, the note scrolls

On August 14, 2016 at 0:39 PM, BSR said:

Hi @DebiB,

As @DTLow pointed out, requests like this can go in the iOS Product Feedback thread. You can find the link below:

iOS Product Feedback

With respect to visiting the web version on an iOS device, a workaround you might have some luck with is using Chrome for iOS, which has a "Request Desktop Site" mode.

• Open Chrome for iOS
  • Navigate to evernote.com
  • Tap the 'three dots' in the upper right hand corner
  • Tap Request Desktop Site

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, BSR.

Agreed regarding the iOS Forum. See my response to DTLow above.

Nice to see an Evernote employee suggesting the 'Request Desktop Site' option to get to the Web version. I realize it isn't supported, but it is sure a huge help to quick go there and create a table in a blank note and then copy/paste the table from that new note to an existing note that I'm working on in the iPad app, for example...versus having to do without a table.

Safari also has the 'Request Desktop Site' option. It is found by holding down the 'Refresh' circle-arrow in the address field  

Thanks!

On August 18, 2016 at 10:09 AM, DTLow said:

For scrolling down, there is an invisible scroll bar on the right side.  If you hit it just right, the note scrolls

@DTLow: You are so right!! You're good! I would never have found that narrow, invisible, vertical scroll bar! Thank you! Thank you! 

I have no desire to use Evernote Web over Evernote iOS, but to gain access to the additional features, it is wonderful to have it available on my iPad when needed! 

Again, THANK YOU so much!! :)

Archived