2012 Resolutions - What's yours?

No resolutions per se, but I am looking at increasing the trend I've been making the past few years towards making most of my workouts hobby and outdoors based. I can't stand most gyms--they're basically offices with workout equipment in them.

Part of this is doubling down on the number of exercise-centered events I attend, which means a month or so of increased training ahead of it and multiple "stay in shape" checkpoints, if you will. At the moment I only regularly do 3 annual events, one in March, one in May and one in December. Two bike rides and a run. Would like to bump that up to 6.

• Level 5*

Not sure... try to make sure I hit the Y 4+ times a week, and survive the winter without losing too much ground, for starters. Beyond that, cycling season beckons, starting sometime in spring (depends on the New England weather)... would like to do more than last year, which was cut up by two 1 1/2 week trips, plus a medical event that cost me a week or so. So probably a 3-day charity ride, and I could see doing 5 centuries. It'd be nice to hit 2500 miles for the year, too.

• Walking at least 20 minutes a day, rain or shine...so far so good.
  • Just joined a gym with my wife, and got us two days a week with a personal trainer to stay on track. I've started exercising before and have learned that I need someone to help keep me motivated!
  • I use Evernote for everything work and family related, but haven't used it to log food and exercise. I'm using a couple of iPhone and web apps, but they are a little limited. Going to explore how to use Evernote this way.

Not really a New Year's resolution but rather a goal I've had for ~3 years. I want to run (complete) another marathon. I completed four, in my (much) younger years. I'd kept up running ~4-6 miles, 5 times a week all these years, but never thought about running another marathon...until my niece ran one & another niece was aiming for an ultra. (gasp!) Worked my way up to finishing a couple of half marathons & then a foot injury sidelined me for about a year. Then with my mom being ill this past summer & all the stuff involved with selling one house, buyiing another & moving (after 19 years in one place!), I've just focused on getting out & covering ~2-4 miles a few times a week whether it's running or walking or a combo. There's no way I'll be in marathon shape in 2012, but maybe 2013. (crossing fingers) I guess my goal for 2012 would be to get back into half marathon shape. :P

BTW...

Now that I have a Garmin GPS watch for my runs, I use software that integrates with satellite maps. The software (Sporttracks) will show the satellite area of my run & overlay the route I ran. I will take a screen cap of the image & put it into EN & add a tag designating the distance range of that run. My running path tags are 05-09 miles, 10-14 miles, 15-19 miles, etc. This is especially neat (IMO) when training for long distance runs (half marathons/marathons) because I can select the tag based upon the approximate distance I want to run, the various routes are displayed & I can pick one that sounds fun that day. It's also neat because I can add notations about where water fountains and restrooms are located....which is always good to know.

Would like to bump that up to 6.

What would it take for you to find and commit to 3 more? :P

Finding them, and for it to be a semi-interesting event. Just finding 3 more to do and putting them on the calendar would do the trick. One of my runs had me sign up for this service that flags similar events, so I've been hoping it would find a few for me. No dice thus far. Been eying another bike ride, potentially.

Really, charity runs/rides are a dime a dozen. Just gotta find a few more. I'm open to suggestions.

• Just joined a gym with my wife, and got us two days a week with a personal trainer to stay on track. I've started exercising before and have learned that I need someone to help keep me motivated!
  • I use Evernote for everything work and family related, but haven't used it to log food and exercise. I'm using a couple of iPhone and web apps, but they are a little limited. Going to explore how to use Evernote this way.

Tim, I'd love to hear more about how this goes. Will you keep me updated? Perhaps in a month or two?

Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Level 5*
Been eying another bike ride, potentially. Really, charity runs/rides are a dime a dozen. Just gotta find a few more. I'm open to suggestions.

OK, so it's a little far from Texas, but:

There are many more, even up here in East Podunk. I could go on...

I'd challenge you to registering in one for the end of the year and make it real! :)

Not quite yet. ;-). I've tried that approach before. One of the half marathons I did a couple of years ago, I had actually signed up for the full marathon eleven months before as incentive. (As you probably know, these things are a little bit pricey). But a few weeks before the event, I realized I wasn't ready for the marathon, so I switched over to the half.

• Level 5*

I've always said that running is bad for your knees (and keep the Jim Fixx reference in reserve). By buddy (and occasional fellow cyclist) got to do the NYC marathon last year though, pretty cool.

Why have you always said this? Did you have knee problems from running?

Translation: "I prefer to not run" ;)

Yep. Though in my case I do have knee problems which make me avoid any high impact activities. Cycling is efficient and definitely low impact. And, as energetic an exercise as you want to make it.

• Level 5*
Yep. Though in my case I do have knee problems which make me avoid any high impact activities. Cycling is efficient and definitely low impact. And, as energetic an exercise as you want to make it.

I prefer to think of it in the same vein as W. C. Fields' snake-bite remedy. I don't have knee problems, but just in case... :) I do have a heart problem, but cycling is fine for that, in fact, encouraged -- my doctor told me I can do anything for exercise that I want, except for things that make me grunt.

Fortunately I have a reasonable bike commute (7 1/2 miles each way) and I do it as often as practicable. My motto is "Any day that I can ride to work is a good one; any day that I can avoid using my car at all is a great one." Nearly half my miles come from commuting (nerd alert: yes, I keep a spreadsheet), and I can make it as hard as I want (I often try to work in some intervals), plus there're also some inescapable hills on the return, so I am guaranteed some kind of workout.

And here I thought it was going to be a lighthouse or something. :)

and keep the Jim Fixx reference in reserve

Yah, much like I use the Dr. Atkins reference. I guess the Atkins diet has been modified in recent years, though. (Wonder why...case in point?)

Two wheels good, two feet bad.

I like cycling & have an old, neglected Nishiki from ~1977. I even went through a (short) phase where I'd cycle the ~20 miles (one way) to work & back on occasion. I just never got into it as a main form of exercise, though. Plus, when I face plant when running, the injuries tend to be less severe than when face planting while going at a faster speed. This is a valuable thing for someone as clumsy as myself to keep in mind.

That said, I have some acquaintances that really like RunKeeper.

http://runkeeper.com/

http://itunes.apple....d300235330?mt=8

https://market.andro...eeper.pro&hl=en

Thanks for the links, Owyn! I've only tried Runkeeper. Will take a look at the others. I tend to use my GPS watch for route tracking & distance monitoring & save the iPhone battery for emergencies, should one occur. Especially on the days when I do the longer, training runs.

Regarding knee problems... I've had those off & on the past few years. But I have noticed if I'm fairly diligent about going to the gym & adding some "fairly" extreme weight training (60-100 reps in as many sets as it takes). Especially leg press & leg extension. CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) (anti-inflammatory) is helpful, too.

My brother does IronMan Triathalons. My Fitness resolution for this year is to continue to gawk at him as he trains ;)

:) How's your training going for that?

• Level 5*

And here I thought it was going to be a lighthouse or something. :)

Lighthouses are a dime a dozen. This is much more, uh, iconic. There's a lot more to Maine than rocky coasts, you know.

(there is a Lighthouse Ride that I make maps for, and ride. That ain't it.)

and keep the Jim Fixx reference in reserve

Yah, much like I use the Dr. Atkins reference. I guess the Atkins diet has been modified in recent years, though. (Wonder why...case in point?)

I'm much better than I was: I used to drive by joggers and yell "Jim Fixx died for your sins" out the window. OK, I only did that once. And the window was down...

• Level 5

There's a lot more to Maine than rocky coasts, you know.

Ah-yuh. You don't want to forget trees and potatoes out in th' willie-wacks, up tah Presque Isle. Ahm tellin' you.

(my wife and in-laws are from Presque Isle)

I'd debate that running being 'high impact' is due to running technique, not running itself. There are plenty of great resources out there showing how running is a very natural human movement and doesn't have to be hard on the joints. I'd check out Chris McDougall's book born to run and his website: http://www.chrismcdougall.com/barefoot.html

If you're interested in running without pain that is :)

I'd debate that running being 'high impact' is due to running technique, not running itself. There are plenty of great resources out there showing how running is a very natural human movement and doesn't have to be hard on the joints. I'd check out Chris McDougall's book born to run and his website: http://www.chrismcdo...m/barefoot.html

If you're interested in running without pain that is ;)

That was a good read, and, I can't argue about the premise.

However, I am basically lazy, and appreciate the efficiency of cycling. Well, that is until my doctor tells me to stop riding my bike and get more exercise.

PS: I have not owned a car in over a decade. Really no need when almost everything I need is within 5K of me.

• Level 5*

You can get plenty of exercise on a bike, no laziness there.

I like my car, and need it to tote musical equipment around etc. (hand drums, mainly; next life I am coming back as a harmonica player). Public transportation isn't to great in this neck of the woods, as I am reminded after spending time in New York City. Cool that you can do without an auto.

Been eying another bike ride, potentially. Really, charity runs/rides are a dime a dozen. Just gotta find a few more. I'm open to suggestions.

OK, so it's a little far from Texas, but:

There are many more, even up here in East Podunk. I could go on...

I'm looking at this, really really really wanting to do one. Because the best way to keep a resolution is to set it 3,000 miles from you.

I ca make further recommendations if you need more info...

Haha I'll work with those first. Need to figure out a way to Maine too.

On the plus side, I also snagged an event for late January that I'll attend, so I'm 1/3 of the way to doubling my events over last year :)

Chad @ AnthroPhysique:

What would you recommend to sequentially add healthier goals & entrench good-habits in perpetuity?

For example, I start w/ something simple like drinking 3L of electrolyte water every day. Then, I add 10K steps. Then, add some form of yoga+meditation on a daily/regular basis. Finally, core strength training.

To this end, I was thinking to add FitBit to track, automatically, the steps I take & my weight (stable BMI should remain at 20.5 as fat is converted to muscle).

Your thoughts/recommendations on to integrate this into Evernote, gTasks, other 'health' iPhone apps?

Thanks.

Chad @ AnthroPhysique:

What would you recommend to sequentially add healthier goals & entrench good-habits in perpetuity?

For example, I start w/ something simple like drinking 3L of electrolyte water every day. Then, I add 10K steps. Then, add some form of yoga+meditation on a daily/regular basis. Finally, core strength training.

To this end, I was thinking to add FitBit to track, automatically, the steps I take & my weight (stable BMI should remain at 20.5 as fat is converted to muscle).

Your thoughts/recommendations on to integrate this into Evernote, gTasks, other 'health' iPhone apps?

Thanks.

UnBounded, it sounds like you already have a bit of an idea/plan for what you can do. My biggest thing is in trying to keep things simple and also understand why you'd be tracking certain things. From what you said, I'd personally make 1 note for steps, weight, BMI and whatever else you're tracking and then input the data each day. This way you'll be able to see the change over time, which is the important part of any data.

I hope that helps. If not, please clarify and I'll see how else I can help.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2012 fitness resolution is to just lose a lot of extra fat (belly fat, etc) and to reduce my BMI.

This past year I completed my weight loss goal of losing 90 pounds (Was 265 and am now at 175). Only issue with this was that I do have some belly fat that I want to tighten up. I want to see my abs this year, haha.

I think the Evernote Fitness Challenge is a great idea, and I'd love to provide any guidance and help based on my experience.

Some key tips that helped me:

• Accountability is HUGE - Its great to be able to have someone who can hold you accountable
  • 50% of the effort is diet....50% is fitness - I lost weight initially by just eating well, but the results turbocharged when I was challenged to complete a 5K race.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 173 cm high and 75 kg weigh now, and I think I should make it down to 70 kg.

Is it proper, Chad? ;)

Now I get up early to swim every or every other day. And I stick to the plan which is offered by an iPad app named Gorilla unless my muscles are tired and painful. I'm very interested in yoga but it is a little too hard for me so I just want to try meditation :P

I get to know your 30-day fitness challenge today so I missed a third of it, but better late than never :D

I'm 173 cm high and 75 kg weigh now, and I think I should make it down to 70 kg.

Is it proper, Chad? :huh:

Now I get up early to swim every or every other day. And I stick to the plan which is offered by an iPad app named Gorilla unless my muscles are tired and painful. I'm very interested in yoga but it is a little too hard for me so I just want to try meditation :P

I get to know your 30-day fitness challenge today so I missed a third of it, but better late than never :D

I'm never a fan of just looking at your height and weight. That doesn't really tell me much. If you just want to be lean and slim then that might be proper. However, with more muscle tone 70Kg might be a little light. Depends on your goals.

Yes, it's better late than never for the 30 day challenge. The good thing is it doesn't have to end when we end. Keeping going past our 30 day date so you can complete your full 30 days. Keep going past that too if you want to 40, 70, or 100 days!

Hey there,

I'm new to evernote and I'm starting the fitness challege Mar 1. But as for New Year's Resolutions, I decided that I didn't want to be like others who dump them after 20 days, and that an entire year is too big to resolve to something every day. So I decided to make a New Month's Resolution every month this year.

For January I resolved to stop biting my nails, to not eat any fast food at all, to not drink any sodas, and to track all my food using the Weight Watchers program and lose 6 lbs in those 31 days. And I did it!! It was awesome to feel that kind of accomplishment! So for March I've resolved to stop biting my nails, to not eat any fast food or pizza at all, to not drink any sodas, and to track all my food using the Weight Watchers program and lose 8 lbs, and I'm adding the 30 day fitness challenge of 100 sit ups and 30 push ups every day. And I'm thinking that in April I'd like to do the Couch to 5k training.

For the whole year I've set a weight loss goal of 80 lbs. I'm excited with how evernote can help me get there! I've made a before/after note, sleep log, measurements, and the fitness challenge tracker.

Then when the year is over and I've lost 80 lbs. I'm going to get a tattoo of the Superman "S." I'm so excited!!

You see I'm only 22 years old, 5'4", and I weigh 210. My dad has always been overweight, and I don't think I've ever known him to not be "on a diet." I decided that I don't want to live the rest of my life struggling with weight loss and everything else that comes with obesity. I'm going to fight hard this year so I don't have to half-heartedly struggle my whole life.

When I was a sophomore in college, a very good friend of mine joined Weight Watchers. He went from a 40+ inch waist to around a 30 inch waist by the time we graduated, and he's kept it off for the 10+ years since. The thing is, you need to constantly manage all the factors that affect your weight.

I am absolutely horrible about exercising (I've had to schedule the fitness challenge time onto my calendar), and I unfortunately have a *very bad* habit of working solidly from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep, but I spent all 4 years of my high school Phys Ed experience in the weight room, so I picked up a few things - mostly, that you need to understand caloric intake vs how much you exert.

If you're fairly sedentary like myself, you're exerting less calories, so you shouldn't be *intaking* as many as someone who is more active. It's not all as cut and dry as saying "she has a faster metabolism" or "he's got bigger bones". Figure out how many calories you're using on a normal basis, then add in an exercise routine and figure out how many calories that will use up as well, and adjust your caloric food intake accordingly (for some, 3000 calories a day will still allow them to lose weight, for others, 1200 a day may be maintenance.)

And, of course, consult a nutritionist and/or a doctor before starting any weight-loss plan, especially if you'd like to see the same results as my college buddy.

No matter what though - don't get discouraged if you don't hit a goal of "x pounds by this date". By all means, work toward that goal. Keep working toward it, and you'll get there.

Thanks! That's exactly what Weight Watchers is: measuring your intake based on things like your age, size, and how active you are. They count it up in points instead of calories. And the points are based on fat content, carbs, fiber, and protein. So for example, I get 34 pts in a day and an average chicken breast is 6 pts, but an average fast food cheeseburger is 25+. Also if you work out you get to use more points. And veggies (other than starches) and fruits are zero points. It's a great program because it's not about never eating a candy bar again, but budgeting out your intake so it fits into a healthy life.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, I'd love to hear more about how this goes. Will you keep me updated? Perhaps in a month or two?

Let me know if I can help in any way.

• I haven't made 20 minutes EVERY day, but I did walk a total of 44 miles in February. I'm using RunKeeper to track my walks.
  • I'm working out once per week with a personal trainer and doing two more days of strength training per week.
  • Down 14 pounds since December 31.
  • On January 17, I was able to do 14 pushups in 30 seconds; 25 body-weight squats in 60 seconds, and do a 31-second plank. On March 1, I did 23 pushups in 30 seconds; 48 squats in 60, and hold the plank for 62 seconds.
  • I'm still using Runkeeper to track walks, Loseit to track food, and Fitocracy to record strength training. But Evernote is perfect for keeping my training notes from my personal trainer so I can make sure I'm doing proper weight, sets and reps on the days I'm training without him.

Archived