REQUEST: Pin one note on the top always

Sometimes I need one note to be pinned on the top of notes list always, so that I can get it quickly, because I need it frequently.

Could I right click one note and set it on top always?

If not in current version that could be pleasure to add this new feature.

Thanks, Evernote is cool!

• Level 5

In Windows, you could use the Favorite Bar. (Shft +F10)

Favorites bar is a new little bar which runs just above the notes lists and lets you jump to some parts of your account that you want quicker access. For example, click the Web Clips and only web clips will appear on the list or click on Tags to choose your desired tag from the list. This feature is derived from the Mac version of evernote.

You can also pin your frequently used stuffs to the favorites bar such as notebooks, tags, search results and others with a simple drag and drop.

You don't need a new feature to do this. Just put an exclamation mark in the name of the note. It will be at the top no matter what client you use.

True. If you need it on top by date, then give it an ancient one, or a date far in the future (depending on the sort you selected). You can change the date your note was created.

But the exclamation mark can not on the top if sort by date.

And Favorite Bar is not the best, because I need to click it every time.

Use both of the workarounds. Then you are covered whether you are sorting by Title or by Date.

Pinned notes needs development. The workarounds work now.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

These are resourceful hacks, but still hacks at best. And neither of them work if you sort by Date Updated, which is what I find most useful.

Is this really the only place to make feature requests? Or is that a support feature reserved for premium members?

• Level 5*
Is this really the only place to make feature requests? Or is that a support feature reserved for premium members?

Pretty much, this is the place, for free and premium users. Evernote reads all posts (though they don't respond to all of them). Oh, you can file a support request (and that's open to all users, again), I guess, but where's the fun in that?

• Level 5

These are resourceful hacks, but still hacks at best. And neither of them work if you sort by Date Updated, which is what I find most useful.

The suggestion using the Evernote Favorite bar (not a hack) works fine with my notes sorted in any fashion.

• 1 month later...

Boo-hoo.

Do I detect some sarcasm going on there...??? :lol:

None of these suggestions work for the web version. Lame.

Sorry RoastBeast... 'lame' ranks right up there with 'epic fail', IMO. This is a business forum, so can we act like we're not eight years old?

Sorry RoastBeast... 'lame' ranks right up there with 'epic fail', IMO. This is a business forum, so can we act like we're not eight years old?

Should have said "lame-o!" Sigh. Fine... sorry to hurt your feelings. I retract the lame bit. However, it's most unfortunate - what!

Should have said "lame-o!" Sigh. Fine... sorry to hurt your feelings. I retract the lame bit. However, it's most unfortunate - what!

Ok, to clarify. It doesn't hurt my feelings. However, it does make me think the post is by someone who's barely able to drive legally. As further evidenced by your subsequent post. Rather than someone who really has a valid feel for the app & convey that in a manner that doesn't require the urban dictionary for interpretation & knows that the word 'before' is not spelled b4.

Ok, to clarify. It doesn't hurt my feelings. However, it does make me think the post is by someone who's barely able to drive legally. As further evidenced by your subsequent post. Rather than someone who really has a valid feel for the app & convey that in a manner that doesn't require the urban dictionary for interpretation & knows that the word 'before' is not spelled b4.

If you've never been in a business discussion that included the word "lame", it's my turn to question your experience. I retracted, then added some humor. That didn't appease you. Let's just move on, please, and not veer so far off topic.

If you want more tangible constructive feedback, I'll add that the web version has a number of other shortcomings that I (and others) would like to see addressed. It would be great if the designers would consider the web interface to be a first class citizen when it comes to implementation of the full set of features.

This is not the right thread in which to address that, however, so I'll just plainly state (since my first post did not make it clear enough) that it would be wonderful to have pinned notes available on the web interface - absent that, access to the workarounds mentioned in this thread already would be at least somewhat useful.

• Level 5*
If you want more tangible constructive feedback, I'll add that the web version has a number of other shortcomings that I (and others) would like to see addressed. It would be great if the designers would consider the web interface to be a first class citizen when it comes to implementation of the full set of features.

Yes, constructive feedback is preferred. You appear to be new to the forums, so you should know that parity across the many different Evernote clients is a goal where feasible, but because the Evernote teams work independently of other teams, and their priorities and timelines often differ. To that end, different clients exhibit advances before others. Not having a Favorites bar does not exclude the web client from being a first-class Evernote client.

Not having a Favorites bar does not exclude the web client from being a first-class Evernote client.

Fair enough. If there is an overlap of features between clients (web, windows, linux, android, etc.) it certainly makes it hard to define one client as being first or second class. But if one client has a complete supserset of features over another, that's pretty much what I would call the latter being second class if the difference is [subjective] significant. It strikes me that the web interface often receives less attention - there are things I just can't do at all in the web version. Given that I often use evernote on platforms over which I have no ability (or time perhaps) to install a local client, I would like it if the web version were given more attention than it seems to be given currently. Let's say I'd like it to be more of a first class citizen than it appears to be at this time.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to offer my support for this idea. I personally use tags for most of my organization of notes, but I use a separate notebook for each of the projects I manage. Specifically, I want to keep a list at the the top of each notebook under which I put my actions and next-actions. I want this note to stay at the top of the list regardless of the sort option. Just something as simple as a "keep on top" option in the option menu would be awesome.

Thanks all! Evernote rocks.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that this would be very helpful.

I just converted my account to business edition and I'm going to be putting my sales team on Evernote. Having these "pinned" notes on the top of some of the Business Notebooks (and of course for personal ones) would be very useful.

The work around seem ok but I use the web and iPad versions a lot and i usuall have sort set to Date Updated

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I agree that this would be very helpful.

I just converted my account to business edition and I'm going to be putting my sales team on Evernote. Having these "pinned" notes on the top of some of the Business Notebooks (and of course for personal ones) would be very useful.

The work around seem ok but I use the web and iPad versions a lot and i usuall have sort set to Date Updated

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. The Mac client has a nice feature called Shortcuts, that allows you to pin notes to the area in the sidebar in any order you want. It is quite nice, but unfortunately does not sync, so might not help much.

One solution using existing features is to treat your account like a personal wiki and make a "home" page for your employees. Note links (I usually create these by opening the note in its own window, selecting the notes I want, and dragging them into the open note to generate the links). One benefit of this is that you control the content and sort order, so a manual to complete a task, for example, can be arranged in the proper order, and edited as needed. To place this home page at the top when sorting by Title, give it an exclamation mark "!" at the front. Obviously, you could also use this home page for announcements, etc.

The pinned note request has been around for a very long time. It may get implemented. It may not. For now, this may be a useful workaround for you.

• 3 months later...

Count me in for this feature.  While the workarounds using special characters and/or future/past dates work, the ability to "pin" a note to the top would be much more elegant, allowing the Creation Date to remain accurate, and the Title of the note to not be cluttered with otherwise meaningless characters.

Just my .02...Aside from that, I am loving Evernote!!

Count me in for this feature.  While the workarounds using special characters and/or future/past dates work, the ability to "pin" a note to the top would be much more elegant, allowing the Creation Date to remain accurate, and the Title of the note to not be cluttered with otherwise meaningless characters.

Just my .02...Aside from that, I am loving Evernote!!

I agree with this and although I use shortcuts extensiely on Mac, that's not the same thing as pinning a note to the top of a notebook. I don't want my shortcuts clogged with notes, I just want certain notes at the top of certain notebooks when I go into that notebook.

• 4 months later...

Hereby bumping this issue. Hacks just not doing it for me as I run updated view. The pin to top would give me so many options in terms of quick-reference overview and recurring. Can anyone comment if this is even in the pipeline or, if I should just forget about it..??? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hereby bumping this issue. Hacks just not doing it for me as I run updated view. The pin to top would give me so many options in terms of quick-reference overview and recurring. Can anyone comment if this is even in the pipeline or, if I should just forget about it..??? Thanks!

It's rare that Evernote staff will comment on upcoming features, so I wouldn't expect anything on that score. About the only way to accomplish any pinning at this point is to utilize the Reminders feature, available in all but the current Windows client (but coming soon, I think). The downside of using a reminder for this is that the notebook that the reminder note resides in must be part of your current note view context.
  • Level 5*

On the Mac client you can use shortcuts to make notes quickly accessible

Yeah, you'll be able to do that on the Windows V5 client as well (and shortcuts are available on Android as well), but there's some feeling among some of the beta testers that Shortcuts are not a good replacement for the old toolbar.
  • 3 weeks later...

The ability to "pin" notes  would be really useful.  The hacks are clumsy at best and the shortcut bar doesn't really do what I need pinned notes for.  It would be very nice to be able to pin a table of contents note for some notebooks.  Also sometimes you want to be able to open a notebook and have a quick reference note right there in front without having to play with the sort order.  Cluttering up my shortcuts with these things make shortcuts much less useful.

• 3 weeks later...
The pinned note request has been around for a very long time. It may get implemented. It may not. For now, this may be a useful workaround for you.

I sure hope so. It is such a basic feature that I am pretty surprised Evernote does not have it. Also, I am surprised that I cannot drag and drop my notes to reorder them. A basic Ajax feature that Basecamp has been using for years.

A couple of points after reading through most of this thread (skipping the diversion in the middle).

Agree with the one poster that shortcuts are not as good as the toolbar. I use a couple, but many more and I'm losing too much real estate in the left pagen.

I use the ! prefix for notebooks, but doesn't work as well for notes because I switch sorts often.

and for that reason, the reminder solution doesn't work for me. I have come to use list view 90% of the time as I frequently switch sort between title, tags and created date, and the 6+ clicks required to do that in snippet view is clunky.

Mark a note as a reminder without a date and it gets pinned to the top. 

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure what people are missing about this. The feature has been implemented.

Pinned notes are unrelated to reminders. Having completely unrelated things in the same category is not a good solution. If that works for you, fine.

I am just saying it doesn't work for me.

Set

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure what people are missing about this. The feature has been implemented.

Pinned notes are unrelated to reminders. Having completely unrelated things in the same category is not a good solution. If that works for you, fine.

Setting a note as a Reminder-without-a-due-date pins it to the top. This isn't about "if that works for you." That's how you pin something to the top.

It seems like you're literally looking for a button called "Pin this note to the top." Evernote has added that feature, they just haven't called it "Pin this note to the top." 

A couple of points after reading through most of this thread (skipping the diversion in the middle).

Agree with the one poster that shortcuts are not as good as the toolbar. I use a couple, but many more and I'm losing too much real estate in the left pagen.

I use the ! prefix for notebooks, but doesn't work as well for notes because I switch sorts often.

and for that reason, the reminder solution doesn't work for me. I have come to use list view 90% of the time as I frequently switch sort between title, tags and created date, and the 6+ clicks required to do that in snippet view is clunky.

I'm not tracking with what you're saying here. I just checked and Reminders are pinned to the top in every view and every sort method. 

What are you doing that setting a reminder for a note (without a date) does not pin it to the top of the notes list (in every view with every sort method)?

Set

Setting a note as a Reminder-without-a-due-date pins it to the top. This isn't about "if that works for you." That's how you pin something to the top.

It seems like you're literally looking for a button called "Pin this note to the top." Evernote has added that feature, they just haven't called it "Pin this note to the top." 

---

I don't like pinned notes with reminders, because, guess what, they are not reminders. So I don't think they belong  together. They serve different purposes.

• Level 5*

I'm not tracking with what you're saying here. I just checked and Reminders are pinned to the top in every view and every sort method. 

What are you doing that setting a reminder for a note (without a date) does not pin it to the top of the notes list (in every view with every sort method)?

One thing to note is that reminders are not shown in the Windows list view, for one, and a lot of people prefer to use list view. They should be shown in list view, in my opinion. Other than that, I use reminders to pin immediate to-do items to the top of the snippet view, and that works well Otherwise I just use tags, which can be used to completely isolate to a set of notes, lile for example, important notes -- I don't need to see those at the top of every view, but I want to be able to find them easily.

Set

---

I don't like pinned notes with reminders, because, guess what, they are not reminders. So I don't think they belong  together. They serve different purposes.

So, to be clear, your exact request is to change the name of an undated to reminder to "Pinned note" as they are functionally the same?

One thing to note is that reminders are not shown in the Windows list view, for one, and a lot of people prefer to use list view. They should be shown in list view, in my opinion. Other than that, I use reminders to pin immediate to-do items to the top of the snippet view, and that works well Otherwise I just use tags, which can be used to completely isolate to a set of notes, lile for example, important notes -- I don't need to see those at the top of every view, but I want to be able to find them easily.

Thank you for adding this. I tend to forget that with the "new" (though not that new anymore) forums, I don't just browse the Mac section anymore. On Mac, all views and sort orders show reminders pinned to the top.

Set

---

So, to be clear, your exact request is to change the name of an undated to reminder to "Pinned note" as they are functionally the same?

No, as I said, they don't belong with reminders.

With a normal note you can see parts of the note in the card or snippet view. With reminders you can only see the title (Windows). So, you have an important note and you decide to pút it on top. But in reminders you will see less of the note. Does it make any sense? This info is important so let's not show it?  That alone is enough to show this is a hack, not a designed feature.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I agree with Michel, using a reminder to ´pin´ a note to the top is a ´work around´ not an implementation.  Its better than nothing, so I am glad to have learned about it, but it would still be nice to be able to pin a note so that it turns up in the actual note list.  

This goes in my list of really useful things Evernote seem un-interested in implementing, such as better formatting tools for note (link we have here when creating an entry; it is called Evernote after all), saving the sort order with saves searches, etc.   Its these things that stop me from using it everyday, and keep me from recommending it to my colleagues, as I don´t want them to also run up against these small, but annoying, short comings where you end up having to waste time and simplicity with ´workarounds´  OK, sorry for the rant, but it feels good sometimes... :-D

Grant

Archived