Evernote installs every time I run it!

JohnnyWood

I did a full uninstall and reinstall. It does the same thing. When I run Evernote I get a message like "please wait while Windows configures Evernote". That takes about a minute or so. If I run it again it's fine. But when I run it after a reboot I get the config message again. Very annoying!

Any ideas, anyone??

• 2 weeks later...

This type of behavior indicates that one or more components fail to install and every time Evernote is started via the "All Programs" shortcut or "on Windows start up" it tries to fix the installation and reinstall the missing components. Please, make sure that your antivirus or similar software do not block the installation.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, how did I miss that one. I disabled my antivirus, ran Evernote, it installed (longer this time), I quit Evernote, restarted my antivirus, whala.....all is good now. This has bugged me for months, cant believe I overlooked the antivirus. FYI the antivirus I use is ESET, love ESET!!!!

I have Win 7.  I believe it was right after the last EN update that I needed to re-pin the Evernote shortcut to my taskbar.  After that, EN would reinstall every time I opened it. So I unpinned Evernote from the taskbar and created a desktop shortcut instead. Then I dragged the desktop shortcut to the taskbar. This seems to have resolved the problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

i'd like to revive this in public as something goes wrong with each update.

Running Windows 8.1 Desktop application.

since V.5.8.x each time i start the software it falls back into config mode.

I contacted support about it and they managed somehow to solve it for V 5.8.3, since then a few updates came along and the error occurs again.

What I've found out is that there has to be a desktop icon (which is rather annoying and bad programming in my opinion), which I let be since 5.8.3, but this does not do any good since 5.8.4 again.

In case you think paying might solve the issue ... it does not... I have a premium account but this does not do any difference to using the normal account.

I find it sad this fixed error has been overwritten/forgotten to be implemented by default.

The support tries to do a lot with soothing the issue and sends out happiness forms to get whatever self satisfaction about having written a mail / replied to a user.

What i wish for is a smoothly running software!

I don't need to be pestered with ongoing updates and billions of features i have no use for.

I would be content with the simple fact that my notes stay forever as was the inital idea of this or am I a wrong ?

I want to use Evernote the same way on each device which seems not possible for whatever reasons (apple, android, windows,linux)

Will that be possible (before there is a version 6.0)?

Thank you.

This might be helpful - I use Zone Alarm and in program control I found the entry for Evernote Installation Package and marked it as "trusted". Voila, no reinstall when I started Evernote. On my corp laptop I don't have that control, so I plan to try uninstalling, and then running the installer as Administrator (an option when you right-click on the executable).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived