(Archived) So if i dont sync before the end of cycle it goes onto the next month?

ddd

Idea

So, I did not sync before the end of my cycle,

so as a consequence the amount i have used has carried on to the next month.

I now have to tolerate a near-full limit until 30 days has passed.

Not happy

13 replies to this idea

Did you sync after your cycle refreshed? The desktop client gets the amount used from the EN servers as well as adding in any non-synced notes (in sync'd notebooks) on the client. Notes in local (non sync'd) notebooks do not count against the allowance.

IOW, if the desktop client shows you've used 40mb and the cycle refreshes, the desktop client still thinks you've used 40 mb until you sync again.

But sure, if you had 30 mb of notes that you didn't sync before the end of your cycle, it will go against the next month's allowance. Unused amounts do not carry over.

You can put notes in local notebooks & move them to sync'd notebooks when you have the space available. Or you can go premium for more space. Premium customers can add even more space to their account, each month, should they want to, in $5 increments.

(I dont have non-synced notebooks)

So even though Ive created the notes before the end of the cycle, if i fail to sync before the end of the cycle then the notes are treated as part of the next cycle??

My usage should go back to zero at the end of the cycle regardless of whether Ive sync'ed it!

My limit should not be dependant on whether i sync it or not.

So if i go for a couple of months without internet access and i reach my usage limit, it wont go back to zero simply because i havnt synced??????

Thats a retarded, and actually unfair. Evernote claims to give a 60mb usage allowance every month, but this is not actually the case.

So even though Ive created the notes before the end of the cycle, if i fail to sync before the end of the cycle then the notes are treated as part of the next cycle??

Yes. Since auto sync'ing is part of the desktop clients, there is really no reason to "forget" to sync, if you're using EN on a fairly regular basis.

My usage should go back to zero at the end of the cycle regardless of whether Ive sync'ed it!

Your usage DOES go back to zero.

However, the desktop client can't be aware of that until you sync, since the true amount used is on the EN servers. Simply log onto the web client to see what your actual usage is at any given time. As I explained before, if a desktop client shows 40 mb used & you've added 20 mb of notes that are not sync'd, it will show 60 b/c that's what the desktop client knows about. If your cycle refreshes & you've not sync'd the desktop client doesn't know that the cycle has refreshed until you sync. It will then show that your usage is now the 20 mb that you uploaded after the cycle refreshed.

The reason the true amount used is on the servers is because you can have notes sent to your account from multiple computers/devices, emails auto forwarded or even auto generated (IE services like IFTTT.) The only common denominator between all these input sources is the EN servers.

And, as I explained before, if you do use all/most of your limit, you can put things into local notebooks & move them over to sync'd notebooks after your cycle refreshes.

• Level 5*

Thats a retarded, and actually unfair. Evernote claims to give a 60mb usage allowance every month, but this is not actually the case.

However angry you are we really do not like people to use language like that - please refrain from doing so in the future. It's also means you are far less likely to get any help as frankly it makes you sound ignorant and childish.

• Level 5*

@ddd

a very uncool rant.

as far as i know, evernote gave you exactly what it said it would, and you failed to take advantage of the free service. each month you can upload up to 60mb of notes. your usage resets to 0 at the beginning of every cycle. that's the deal. if you become a premium member, you'll have the same deal, but with a bigger upload allowance. and, you can always purchase extra upload amounts.

how has evernote wronged you?

Evidently I have not fully understood the system properly; I assumed that it doesnt matter when you sync, provided the notes themselves were created before the cycle ends, then they will be regarded as part of the particular cycle that the notes were created in. The cycle even if its offline, will go back up to 60mb as soon as 30 days has elapsed.

This is what confused me when the cycle had finished and seemed to be stuck on '0 days'. I then assumed that perhaps syncing would mean the limit goes back to zero plus the amount I had used since the new cycle.

It means that if i am away from the internet at months at a time but still write in my EN, i wont be able to write any more than 60mb. I thought f.e. that if i am away from the internet for 3 months i still have 180mb given in three stages at 60mb chunks at the end of each three cycles.

And using an non-synced notebook doesnt make sense because i am still writing in a notebook (be it synced or non-sync) but its irrelevant because i havnt synced in any case.

I havnt assumed this for no reason; my envisioned system of syncing and usage limit is much more desirable than the current one.

However angry you are we really do not like people to use language like that - please refrain from doing so in the future. It's also means you are far less likely to get any help as frankly it makes you sound ignorant and childish.

Im sorry i can not do that. My use of language is entirely appropriate.

And criticising me for my use of language just stinks of self-righteousness, especially when you are criticising me on someone else's behalf.

@ddd

a very uncool rant.

as far as i know, evernote gave you exactly what it said it would, and you failed to take advantage of the free service. each month you can upload up to 60mb of notes. your usage resets to 0 at the beginning of every cycle. that's the deal. if you become a premium member, you'll have the same deal, but with a bigger upload allowance. and, you can always purchase extra upload amounts.

how has evernote wronged you?

It wasnt a rant, so stop saying that.

I uploaded near 60mb but because I was unable to access the internet, I was unable to sync and therefore what i hadnt synced is treated as part of the next months cycle. EN have presented their service and the features of said service in a way that has been open to interpretation; clearly I am proof of this.

You cant blame me for simply interpreting the same information differently to you.

If Evernote doesnt know of its users frustrations then how are they supposed to improve the service?? Oh but i suppose the feelings of the Evernote discussion forum users are more important???!!

Thanks to BurgersNFries for clearing up my confusion, which is what I posted for in the first place.

• Level 5*

@ddd

I consider the tone and style of your posts to be ranting. With the underlining, multiple text sizes, repetition of punctuation, and offensive language, I think you have more than qualified for that label.

Your frustration is fine. So is your confusion. Your approach, though, is not (in my opinion). It's not about feelings. It is about respect for the staff and other users (no insults). It's great you are a user. It's great you are here on the forums. But, I think you ought to tone it down a bit.

I dont know how you can infer tone and style to words. When does frustration become a rant then?

I format the sentences and words which are most important.

I have no idea what you mean by "repetition of punctuation".

Offensive language?? Are you kidding?

My approach is fine. I think you are looking to criticise someone just so you can look like the better person.

I take issue when i am subject to weird vendettas, and I think you need to consider your conduct toward other users because I feel slightly singled out for no reason and it actually has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

If I was ranting then I would have used offensive language which would have been inappropriate, unnecessary, and disrespectful.

Users should be able to make a complaint and vent their frustration without being accused of ranting and subsequently being reprimanded for it.

Users should be able to make a complaint and vent their frustration without being accused of ranting and subsequently being reprimanded for it.

As GM said, you have valid points but they were conveyed in a way that makes the poster look like an 11 year old child with few social skills. This is a business oriented, public forum. As such, diplomacy, especially by someone new to the board & who is asking for help, is key. Most people over the age of 12 (or maybe 16) find using the word 'retarded' as an insult, uh, insulting. I am one of them.

If I was ranting then I would have used offensive language which would have been inappropriate, unnecessary, and disrespectful.

And yes, of course, you were ranting... Your posts to Metrodon & GM are just more of the same (inappropriate, unnecessary & disrespectful) & it's not appreciated.

• Level 5

It means that if i am away from the internet at months at a time but still write in my EN, i wont be able to write any more than 60mb. I thought f.e. that if i am away from the internet for 3 months i still have 180mb given in three stages at 60mb chunks at the end of each three cycles.

Evernote has over 20 million users.

The number of Evernote users who are away from the internet for months at a time?

20?, a dozen, single digits?

Your use of language (and frankly, font size, but I've let that slide for many in the past) is inappropriate. I think it's pretty obvious, when you look at the tone of the discussion that occurs across 99.99% of the board, and the civil responses to your post, that the discussion was out of line.

The responses have also given you multiple ways to fix your issue and given you additional strategies for avoiding a big sync on a new month in the future.

Thread locked. Sorry you feel that way about the way the service syncs. Please refrain from using such language again.

Archived