- Vegetables

- Onions

- Garlic

- Tomatoes

Back Yard

- Mow Lawn

- Mulch

- Do Edges

With each of these having a checkbox to tick off, and not be able to check off the main task without all subtasks being ticked off.

I can see how to create a checkbox and then write the task, but I really want to be able to create a note that defaults to a checkbox at every line.

Is it possible?

Cheers

Hmm well the sub tasks didn't out aligned properly, but hopefully you can see that meat is a main category and mince is a subtask for example.

The Windows client will automatically start new lines with a checkbox when the current line starts with a checkbox.

e..g.

[]line1<enter>

will create a checkbox at the start of new line.

This makes it easy to create, e.g.

[]line1

[]line2

[]line3

Double <enter> clears the behavior.

With each of these having a checkbox to tick off, and not be able to check off the main task without all subtasks being ticked off..

EN is not trying to be a to do/task list manager, which is what you're talking about. Take a look at any of the numerous ones out there such as RTM, Toodledo, etc

• Level 5*

With each of these having a checkbox to tick off, and not be able to check off the main task without all subtasks being ticked off.

Do you know of any app that does this?

I have been looking for just such an app.

At best, it will be a while before Evernote provides this, if at all.

Thanks.

There is an app out there that I read about a few months back... I didn't EN it though :( so it must have been for iphones :).

What it does is looks through all unchecked notes and shows it as a task.

Although EN is not a task app I do think it should support it. But in the way described above since it doesn't require a "new feature".

If a note has checkboxes and should be in the task screen then just tag it appropriately.

workflowy is a great alternative for this. i love it. (workflowy.com)

Interesting. Signed up and used it to draft a project outline in under 30 minutes. No offline mode limits usefulness.

workflowy is a great alternative for this. i love it. (workflowy.com)

Interesting. Signed up and used it to draft a project outline in under 30 minutes. No offline mode limits usefulness.

it's great for outlining, brainstorming, and planning projects ;) especially if you're a linear/hierarchical person. some folks might find mindmapping software more useful for that kind of work but i like the linear format :)

re: offline mode - they are still in the early stages of development (it only launched several months ago and had barely any features at first - you couldn't even change your account email or password if i recall) but they're constantly adding new things. maybe consider sending feedback?

IMO, to do/task managers are a dime a dozen. (Which is possibly why EN has chosen to not go down that road). I do think there are (mostly) subtle differences which explains the proliferation of such apps. For several years, I've used Toodledo on my desktop. But I use 2do on my iPhone which integrates with Toodledo.

IMO, to do/task managers are a dime a dozen. (Which is possibly why EN has chosen to not go down that road). I do think there are (mostly) subtle differences which explains the proliferation of such apps. For several years, I've used Toodledo on my desktop. But I use 2do on my iPhone which integrates with Toodledo.

I was more interested in the tool as an outliner than as a todo manager. Good indent, outdent, expand/collapse and re-order UI with simple export of results.

Decided to do a full test of Workflowy using it as a tool to both plan and document the test. The final results will be exported to an Evernote note. This is the sort of thing that I frequently do and the existing Web Client editor is a poor tool for the process.

The following is a "formatted" export -> copy -> paste to this forum:

Test Workflowy

• To Test
    • Workflowy Search
    • External Links to Workflowy

[*]Howto?

• Copy item
    • Copy tree

[*]Notes/HowTos

• UI
      • Top Bar
        • Search
        • Navigation?
        • Completed item visibility toggle/status
        • Save status
          • Save now
          • Saved

[*]Top Right Popdown

• Help
          • Settings
          • Sign Out

[*]Useful as popped out tab to left of main window

[*]Need to expand width of tab to make all tools visible

• Could not see move tool with reduced width
      • Item action bubble at left truncated

[*]Keyboard Shortcuts

• Enabled in

[*]Other Uses/Integrations?

• Export to Evernote?
      • Useful to draft first note for

[*]Links in notes?

[*]Links in item descriptions?

[*]Images/Screenshots in notes?

Created with

WorkFlowy.com

The evaluation, and the example above, is still very much a WIP but looks promising. e.g. Pasted as outline list in the forum.

Might even take another look at the task management capabilities. :)

PS: Did a lot of adhoc testing of re-organizing the outline during the process (indent/outdent/move/new items). Worked fine.

PPS: This post part of testing export from WorkFlowy.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the need for an external program to create nested ToDo lists...

I currently have a note that I use as a ToDos note. For a project/tasks type todo, I make use of the bulleting/checkbox/indent options and hotkeys.

i.e.

Ctrl + Shift + B (start the bulleting list)

Ctrl + Shift + C (add a checkbox - This is the Project)

Enter (Creates a new line, with a bullet and checkbox)

Tab (Increase the Indent - To list the 1st level of subtasks)

Etc.

Shift + Tab Decreases indent also

Continue with Tab,Shift + Tab and Enter to complete the list.

The final result is:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/f90c9bc0-8a7a-4d18-8ca7-42b53b0051c5/ccb801b6cdbd77fcd512409b4200b1b5

I know I cannot effectively add to this note on my other devices but since this is usually the only note in my main notebook I can see most of the time and when I edit somewhere other than on Windows, it is usually appended to the end. I then change it to match myself.

Thinking about WorkFlowy and other Web based tools it would be interesting if EN can offer embedded browsing as functionality. This even might be used as EN extension mechanism. I can see something like resizable frame that can be inserted anywhere in note body with possibility of showing/hiding (similar to pdf attachments). Of course little parameterizing (automatic sign-in support etc.) could be of some help.

Just a thought. Or feature request. I do not know how difficult it is to implement something like that but, for sure, it would save some alt-tabbing, copying and pasting.

the reason i prefer workflowy to using evernote for this is it's easier to move things around and rearrange items in an outline (or even just a task list) in workflowy in a way that isn't present in evernote. workflowy's features also allow for quicker nesting and arranging the hierarchy of info. i actually used to organize most of the information i now have in evernote in an especially complex workflowy document with a lot of notes attached to each bulleted item, but i find evernote easier for big chunks of information and for keeping documents organized.

Thinking about WorkFlowy and other Web based tools it would be interesting if EN can offer embedded browsing as functionality. This even might be used as EN extension mechanism. I can see something like resizable frame that can be inserted anywhere in note body with possibility of showing/hiding (similar to pdf attachments). Of course little parameterizing (automatic sign-in support etc.) could be of some help.

Just a thought. Or feature request. I do not know how difficult it is to implement something like that but, for sure, it would save some alt-tabbing, copying and pasting.

love this idea. i don't know how feasible it is but it would save me a lot of headaches in trying to integrate all the tools i use.

• Level 5*

I too like the idea of having an embedded object in an EN Note where you can activate/edit the object by something simple like a double-click.

MS Office does this very well among the Office apps. I use it often in PowerPoint to embed both Word and Excel sections.

Having said that, it seems like Evernote is having quite a challenge to support cross-platform rich-text editing.

Until they have this nailed with a robust solution, I would not want to add any complexity to Note editing.

I too like the idea of having an embedded object in an EN Note where you can activate/edit the object by something simple like a double-click.

I am sure that, if EN is Windows only application, this would be implemented already. Asking this for all OSes supported by EN would be way too much. My idea was limited to embedding web pages only.

Of course since I am using mostly Windows EN for writing and Android EN for reading/capturing I could use such embedding ;).

• 1 year later...

Archived