Move or Relocate the Evernote Database - No import/export Required

bbrener

There is a really, really simple way to move (relocate) the Evernote database in Windows. It took me a while to figure out but seems like people are making it too complicated.

If you want your database on a stick; or on a data drive or relocate due to storage contraints there is an easy way if you are willing to edit the registry. Do the following:

* Close Evernote

* Copy or restore your database with any standard tool to a desired location (keep the old data as a precaution)

* Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEvernote

* Export that key as a backup in case things go wrong.

* There are 3 keys involved:

EvernotePath

AutoUpdateCacheCurrentXML

AutoUpdateCacheCurrentRN

* Modify them to your new directory

*Restart Evernote

Voila!

Note that this method has allowed me to use the same Evernote database in 2 different User Profiles on the same PC. I switch backwards and forwards seamlessly.

Usual caveats about editing the registry etc. This method enables you to go bak to the way you were if there is an issue.

I think that may be incorrect. Did you actually try it? That's why it took me a long time. That did not work for me.

1)That seems to be for local files only. It does not seem to repoint the whole database. You can test it by creating a new windows profile and starting Evernote in it. See what happens. Soon as you logon, it syncs to the user\appdata\evernote\databases directory. That might work when you set up your account the very first time. I think that's what I did initially, but after that I had an online account with data in it.

2)If you then try and change it in that tab, it tells you it may overwrite data. I was not willing to risk it. I think it might take the sync'd data from online and overwrite the old database that has local folders in it. So my way is safer.

If it was that easy, why all these posts about backing up and moving data to new locations or new PC's? I was trying to share one database among multiple user accounts in Windows and I had to edit the registry to accomplish that. And I did not risk loing data.

I think that may be incorrect. Did you actually try it?

It is correct. Yes, I've tried it. I've had my EN database on alternate drives for over 2 years & used this method.

1)That seems to be for local files only. It does not seem to repoint the whole database.

I don't know what you mean by differentiating "local files" from the database. This process moves the entire database and any "local files" to the location selected by the user. The exceptions (as usual) are any files necessary by the OS that are normally stored on & remain on C/boot drive.

The only posts I've seen by people having problems with this is either users trying to use a networked drive (not supported) and/or behind a corporate firewall/proxy.

I've switched Windows computers & netbooks enough that I'm pretty solid about how to move/point to a database in a different-from-default location. This painless method works.

Thanks. By local files I meant those marked as 'local' and not sync'd.

So how do you actually go about moving the files or repointing them?

When you set up Evernote it asks if you are a new user or have an account. When you say 'have an account', it immediately seems to sync to default location. Can you set it up so that it does not do that and before first sync and point at the old data in an alternate drive?

My present issue is to repoint and not to move so I can point 2 Evernotes (diiferent users) on the same PC to the same data and use the same account. It sems to be working with the registry update above though.

I will shortly be moving to a new build. How do I stop the same thing from happening and simply point at the data on the alternate drive?

Much appreciated.

Thanks. By local files I meant those marked as 'local' and not sync'd.

It's helpful to use correct terminology when asking for/giving out advice. It seems you are referring to local notebooks. All notebooks for the same user/account, local or sync'd are stored in the same, single database.

So how do you actually go about moving the files or repointing them?

As I posted above.

My present issue is to repoint and not to move so I can point 2 Evernotes (diiferent users) on the same PC to the same data and use the same account. It sems to be working with the registry update above though.

I will shortly be moving to a new build. How do I stop the same thing from happening and simply point at the data on the alternate drive?

Much appreciated.

I've never done that - two users, same PC, same EN database. You'll have to dink with that yourself. Suggestion: Keep a good copy of your exb file. ;) Off the top of my head, once I got the first user up & running, I'd make a copy of their exb file. Then install EN for the second user & move their EN db to the desired location. This will probably overwrite the first user's db. But after exiting EN (as the 2nd user), copy the true/valid/good db backup (suggested earlier) over the empty exb file in the desired location. Seems like this should work but I can't attest to that. Hope this makes sense.

Yes, thanks. That makes senses. I have used that trick before - and I back my whole data drive every night with Acronis.

I have dinked with it and I thought it was working but a notebook I create in one is not seen in the other although that notebook notes are in 'all notes'. So something strange. It happens even if one user is not logged on so it is not a cache thing.

BTW, any idea what the .backup files in the databasesbackup directory are. They are all PDf's.

The databases are stored in user.exb plus ancillary user.* files in the configured Evernote databases folder.

e.g. user1.exb, user2.exb, etc.

When you sign out from Windows client and sign in as a different user then the client actually opens different database files.

Thanks Owyn. However I have 1 Evernote user and 2 windows user accounts. So only one Evernote database.

Seems as if I am careful to keep only 1 windows user logged on, then it works fine.

Out of curiosity, why do you have two Windows user accounts on the same machine that are using the same EN account? Is this a husband/wife thing?

Another option is to just have one user use the web client.

• 1 year later...

I have a slightly similar problem, but...

I have two evernote databases on my machine, one in the normal C: aps Evernote file, 

and a second on a second hard drive in the same computer, somehow labeled "New Folder"

Both appear to have reasonably current dates.

Can/should I import the "H:/ My Documents/New Folder/ evernote database to the C: drive user/aps/evernote folder?

Richard

Sounds like a risky strategy.  If you don't appear to be missing any notes, then I'd persist the way you are, with the default database.  If you have a suspicion you are missing something that might be in the database in the H:\... folder, then turn off automatic syncing, shut down EN, backup the current database to another folder and then copy the mystery one to the default EN database location (check this under 'Tools/Options/General' before you shut down.

If you can identify any missing notes, export them in Evernote 'enex' format, shut EN down completely again, copy the original database back and import the missing notes.

Might be a good idea to rename any other stray .exb files you find to prevent this sort of thing happening in the future!

I have a slightly similar problem, but...

I have two evernote databases on my machine, one in the normal C: aps Evernote file,

and a second on a second hard drive in the same computer, somehow labeled "New Folder"

Both appear to have reasonably current dates.

Can/should I import the "H:/ My Documents/New Folder/ evernote database to the C: drive user/aps/evernote folder?

Richard

In addition to what logandb said, before you do any dinking around, you need to confirm which database is the live one. If you're using Windows version 4.x, it's found in tools/options/general tab. I've not yet upgraded to Windows V5, so cannot confirm if it's the same.

• 3 months later...

I tried the "easy way" that BurgersNFries suggested of using Evernote option to move the database.  I gave it a new directory in which to place the databse.  Evernote went through its gyrations.  I then added a test note and went to look for the database in the new location.  Nothing was there.  I checked the database in the old location and it had updated as of two minutes ago.  I think this means the new test note is in the database in the old locationi.  The new location has the aforementioned directory, but it is blank.  Running Evernote Windows 5.1.0 on a Windows 7 machine.

I tried the "easy way" that BurgersNFries suggested of using Evernote option to move the database.  I gave it a new directory in which to place the databse.  Evernote went through its gyrations.  I then added a test note and went to look for the database in the new location.  Nothing was there.  I checked the database in the old location and it had updated as of two minutes ago.  I think this means the new test note is in the database in the old locationi.  The new location has the aforementioned directory, but it is blank.  Running Evernote Windows 5.1.0 on a Windows 7 machine.

Be sure you have Explorer set to show hidden files & folders (tools, folder options/view.)

• 1 year later...

I know this is a relatively old thread,but am facing the same issue.

The EN databases should be stored in an encrypted container (like TrueCrypt, BestCrypt), so they cannot be opened/read before first opening the container.

I do this with almost all documents, .pst, pdf, doc, xlsx, but also screencaptures, clips databas, etc.

Applications are launched after opening the container.

I suppose(!), have not tested it, when relocation is done by using tools/options/general tab/change, there may be a small drawback once -in the above scenario- EN is launched

before opening the container: it will not find the database and probably resort to its default location.

Q: in such cases, will EN prompt user to correct the path before proceeding, i.e. warn that no database could be found on the given location?

In that case I could quickly open the container and point EN to the database stored in it.

Example: Outlook warns users that it cannot find its .pst file(s) and shows a pop-up dialog so users can browse to the correct location, select the .pst files and Outlook will continue the launch.

=

Changing location may be easy. However, as said, I am not sure whether EN will remember the 'custom-path' once it cannot locate it.

It is like having the database on an external drive, launch EN whilst the drive is not running. Close EN, switch on the drive,

launch EN. Will it then reconnect to the database, or resort to the default settings? Have to say, I didn't try it. It gets a bit

messy if you have already made some notes, before you discovered the drive wasn't running...

=

Changing location may be easy. However, as said, I am not sure whether EN will remember the 'custom-path' once it cannot locate it.

It is like having the database on an external drive, launch EN whilst the drive is not running. Close EN, switch on the drive,

launch EN. Will it then reconnect to the database, or resort to the default settings? Have to say, I didn't try it. It gets a bit

messy if you have already made some notes, before you discovered the drive wasn't running...

=

I'm curious.

So I just put an external harddrive to the laptop. And move the database to that.

I have an EN Account with app. 230 notes in that computer.

I know this is a relatively old thread,but am facing the same issue.

The EN databases should be stored in an encrypted container (like TrueCrypt, BestCrypt), so they cannot be opened/read before first opening the container.

I do this with almost all documents, .pst, pdf, doc, xlsx, but also screencaptures, clips databas, etc.

Applications are launched after opening the container.

I suppose(!), have not tested it, when relocation is done by using tools/options/general tab/change, there may be a small drawback once -in the above scenario- EN is launched

before opening the container: it will not find the database and probably resort to its default location.

Q: in such cases, will EN prompt user to correct the path before proceeding, i.e. warn that no database could be found on the given location?

In that case I could quickly open the container and point EN to the database stored in it.

Example: Outlook warns users that it cannot find its .pst file(s) and shows a pop-up dialog so users can browse to the correct location, select the .pst files and Outlook will continue the launch.

=

I used to have my EN database in a TC container. Since I no longer use EN, I don't know what the newer versions do, but it's easy enough to test it yourself. IIRC, when you've not logged out of EN (simply CLOSED it), upon reinvoking, an error is generated, since it cannot find the database. If you LOG OUT, then upon reinvoking, you are requested to enter login parameters. If you proceed, a new database is created. But as I said, I no longer use EN, so I may not be remembering correctly and/or newer versions may behave differently. The way to know for sure is to test it yourself.

=

I'm curious.

So I just put an external harddrive to the laptop. And move the database to that.

Done

But my ISP is playing the game "hide and seek DNS server" so my screenshots isn't on EN cloud yet.

Now, suppose you switch off the external drive.

Close EN and re-launch it.

Make a note, screenshot, whatever.

Likely EN has created a new database on your C:\ drive

Maybe(!) in such cases a registry change is the best solution.

=

=

I'm curious.

Done

But my ISP is playing the game "hide and seek DNS server" so my screenshots isn't on EN cloud yet.

So I just plugged in an external harddrive to the laptop.

I'm backupoholic so I made one backup, just in case.

My old tablet and laptop have a Basic account.

Moving went well, 209 notes, most of them are shared from my own account.

Updating to EN 5.8.13 was like normal. Just choose what account (Basic) and EN remember the new path.

Tested restart a few times and no problem. Logged in and logged out. I closed EN (in task manager)

Disconnect the drive

Started EN and...

this pop-up (not surprised at all)

See link to shared note for screenshots

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s258/sh/ab0f5828-8f27-4aeb-a5ce-b24135c6439b/d469e2ce5948accd3d1717808e8a46ea

I reconnect the drive

Nothing happened, a blank EN on the screen.

Restart EN

And the notes was there

And EN remember the settings

Picture two in note

Now, suppose you switch off the external drive.

Close EN and re-launch it.

Make a note, screenshot, whatever.

Likely EN has created a new database on your C:\ drive

Maybe(!) in such cases a registry change is the best solution.

=

EN didn't create a new database on C.

After reconnect and restarted EN used the database on the external hard drive again.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Problem:

I am dual boot on two different hard drives :

- Windows 8.1 on a SSD

- Windows 10 TP on an another SSD

On Windows 8.1, I had moved my notes to a third drive (HDD internal, not external), a data drive.

I just install Evernote on Windows 10 and I wanted to move my notes as I did on Windows 8.1, but the problem is that Evernote does not see my drives... It offers me to change of location only:

- C:\user

- and... two usb keys... However, I have 7 internal drives or partitions, more an external hard drive that he also does not see...

Drives are perfectly accessible,  I do not understand why Evernote does not displays in Explorer. 

I would add that I can't manually change the path in the field, it is blocked.

An idea ?
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same or a related problem - I want to relocate my Evernote database onto my network storage, I have a mapped drive to the correct place but mapped drives don't show in the options when you use Tools/Options to change the Evernote local files location.  Anyone know a way to do this?

Cathi

Hi, I have the same or a related problem - I want to relocate my Evernote database onto my network storage, I have a mapped drive to the correct place but mapped drives don't show in the options when you use Tools/Options to change the Evernote local files location.  Anyone know a way to do this?

Cathi

Networked drives are not supported.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s137/sh/9a5b37ca-4c3e-473d-bf90-816c7f4ce2b6/f4da0c331e6c19a9795c300a06246899

I'm in the same boat as David_C.  Just switched to Windows 10. Have two INTERNAL HD's (not network drives) and want to have Windows app data, etc on drive C and Evernote database file on drive E.  EN Options/Genera has a handy fill-in box to show where you want your local files to be. However, it won't let you type anything in. When you click on "Change" instead, full list of available drives is not shown... only user folders (such as app data!) It is very important to me that I be able to separate the Evernote files from system files. BTW, the EN program itself is on my E drive. I'm thinking this is a new Windows 10 issue. Anybody posted a support ticket on this?

I'm in the same boat as David_C.  Just switched to Windows 10. Have two INTERNAL HD's (not network drives) and want to have Windows app data, etc on drive C and Evernote database file on drive E.  EN Options/Genera has a handy fill-in box to show where you want your local files to be. However, it won't let you type anything in. When you click on "Change" instead, full list of available drives is not shown... only user folders (such as app data!) It is very important to me that I be able to separate the Evernote files from system files. BTW, the EN program itself is on my E drive. I'm thinking this is a new Windows 10 issue. Anybody posted a support ticket on this?

I think that this is a problem of permissions (or something like that) and not really a bug with Windows 10.

I have other problems of accessibility/rights with OneDrive folders (folders created in Windows 8.1) and I am forced to reset the permissions on each reboot in Windows 10... I think it is a little similar.

I bypassed the problem that concerns us: since "My documents" are already moved to another drive and that they are visible in "change" in EN, I moved the database in "My documents". This was not the place where I wanted to put it, but at least it is no longer on C:

I think that this is a problem of permissions (or something like that) and not really a bug with Windows 10.

This is definitely a Win 10 bug. I've reproduced it with a very small program.

TMI: If you call the SHBrowserForFolder api (that's what we use) passing in CSIDL_DRIVES (which we do) and use BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE (guess what) [fyi: that style adds a button that allows you to create a new folder], then the opened folder will _not_ be the drives folder - it will be the desktop. Since we filter all non-local drives, "special" folders like "This PC" will be filtered.

A work around will be in a future version of Evernote.

(that's not the only Window 10 shell regression I've found - the double pinned icon issue is another one)

(that's not the only Window 10 shell regression I've found - the double pinned icon issue is another one)

The list of regressions seems endless...

Archived