gbarry

productivity The Next Web's Top 10 Productivity Apps of 2011

Until Evernote enables posting notes with due dates, I can't in good conscience include it in my op 10 productivity apps.

I would add TimeHop to this list. For those of us with terrible memories, it's a great memory jog. It pulls information from your social feeds to send you daily digest of your activities from one year ago. Not exactly a productivity tool in the forward-looking sense, but it does help refresh one's memory of possibly-forgotten past events.

Until Evernote enables posting notes with due dates, I can't in good conscience include it in my op 10 productivity apps.

Every morning I pull up my journal note with my list of stuff to do. Today's was titled 120106 journal. Tomorrow's is 120107 journal. They're tagged "journal" as well so that I can just sort through my to-do lists / done stuff / notes. I know that due dates is an oft-requested feature, and I can certainly understand why, but you can do quite a bit with the tools already available.

It's one of my top 3 apps for productivity. I just don't use it for action items because there are better apps for that, e.g. Omnifocus, calendar, even default iOS reminders app.

Some people want to store everything in evernote and it could be done but I don't see it as a great tool for managing actionable data.

It's one of my top 3 apps for productivity. I just don't use it for action items because there are better apps for that, e.g. Omnifocus, calendar, even default iOS reminders app.

Some people want to store everything in evernote and it could be done but I don't see it as a great tool for managing actionable data.

Yup, it is difficult to set up a future action item if one cannot specify the date it is due.

The workarounds using tags, modified create dates, or embedded dates are clunky at best.

Evernote, amongst other applications, is on TNW's top ten productivity apps for 2011.

It's a neat list. I'll definitely be trying out Sparrow & Fantastical (both for Mac) before year's end.

H/t Phil D

Excellent list. One of the great levers for productivity is tying different apps together. You mention a couple of Mac apps, for which AppleScript is the universal glue. Sparrow is great, but the AppleScript support doesn't provide access to anything except the outbox. I have AppleScripts to move Apple Mail messages to Evernote, for different situations, and would love to use Sparrow instead of Apple Mail, but am on the fence because of that problem.

Evernote's AppleScript support, limited as it is, is one of the reasons EN is so powerful for productivity, even if the Mac application lacks a bunch of features on the Windows application.