luckman212

windows Using Anchors within Notes, hyperlinking between notes

37 posts in this topic

I think what's happening is that people are using Evernote for much more than it was originally intended. It's become an environment. The request for anchors indicates that people are creating LONG documents in Evernote. It means that they would rather create these documents in Evernote than in a word processor.

This is an opportunity for Evernote. Adding this feature will get power users to move more of their work into Evernote. Once in, it will be harder to leave in the future. And these long documents are probably shared with others who will then be motivated to get Evernote or upgrade to Premium.

There's people who use Evernote to go paperless. Evernote has adapted by having folder that automatically import scans, selling scanners optimized for this purpose, etc.

Then there's people who want to use Evernote as their task manager, such as the Secret Weapon. Evernote has adapted by adding Reminders, and (sometimes) the improving tools needed for these systems of tags, and saved searches.

And then there's those of us who wish to create more of our documents in Evernote. As a premium user, being able to give a note URL, or various access levels to a shared folder, makes Evernote a superior collaborative tool than sending word documents through the mail. I also have my "notes" synchronized across multiple platforms. I'd rather stay in Evernote where I've got so much than add to another tool like Google Docs, or to use a secondary step of embedded Word documents.

Currently, I'd consider anchors to be the most essential missing feature for using Evernote for long documents. 

3 people like this

No anchors so far. I can see how they'd be useful on the desktop, but I think much less useful across the mobile clients. This would contribute to how we prioritize the feature.

Regarding the highlighting and other rich text options, yeah I know. We'll be working on it

I was reading this comment again and it occurred to me that actually, anchors are probably more useful on mobile clients. They have smaller screens and thus being able to link directly to the specific section you are looking for (e.g. via a saved search or from inter-linked notes) would definitely be a win. Dlu- what is your thought process for saying that they'd be "much less useful" on mobile?

1 person likes this

Bumping this thread as well.

I write long documents on EN 'cause I use it to study and it's easier to find text on EN than on a normal word processor. This feature would help me a lot to organize my notes :) 

And as luckyman212 said, 

I was reading this comment again and it occurred to me that actually, anchors are probably more useful on mobile clients. They have smaller screens and thus being able to link directly to the specific section you are looking for (e.g. via a saved search or from inter-linked notes) would definitely be a win. Dlu- what is your thought process for saying that they'd be "much less useful" on mobile?

I too would find this feature very useful. I have an Alfred workflow that creates a wiki of sorts with selected notes, but I'd very much like to be able to make a table of contents at the top of a note, similar to the sections of wikipedia. I agree that this feature would be MORE useful on mobile, as it's much more inconvenient to scroll through long notes on a small screen. one of the reasons i became a premium subscriber was that i wanted to be able to edit long documents on both mobile and desktop, but anchor links would make that much easier.

The long-time lack of this feature is one reason I've finally switched to OneNote for day-to-day needs, and only use Evernote for information dumps. Evernote has SO MANY half-way issue like this -- no indent on iPad, intrusive development that changed line spacing on iPad checkboxes, still no font settings on iOS, etc., etc. I just couldn't take it anymore. OneNote isn't perfect and is a bit slow, but it's clean, professional, better organized, and more colorful.

The long-time lack of this feature is one reason I've finally switched to OneNote for day-to-day needs, and only use Evernote for information dumps. Evernote has SO MANY half-way issue like this -- no indent on iPad, intrusive development that changed line spacing on iPad checkboxes, still no font settings on iOS, etc., etc. I just couldn't take it anymore. OneNote isn't perfect and is a bit slow, but it's clean, professional, better organized, and more colorful.

I've considered OneNote, but I use quite a few Applescripts and Alfred workflows with Evernote, and I'm not sure I'd be able to convert them to work with Onenote (if Onenote is even Applescript compatible). I've finally got a routine down that I think will work long term for academic things (I've been using Evernote on a few different accounts since I started college in late 2008, and finally got premium this May) and using an EN notebook to host a personal wiki has become a huge part of that. I'm hesitant to switch since I've been using EN for so long, but lack of anchor links is making that increasingly more likely.

I think what's happening is that people are using Evernote for much more than it was originally intended. It's become an environment. The request for anchors indicates that people are creating LONG documents in Evernote. It means that they would rather create these documents in Evernote than in a word processor.

This is an opportunity for Evernote.

And then there's those of us who wish to create more of our documents in Evernote...

Currently, I'd consider anchors to be the most essential missing feature for using Evernote for long documents. 

I see also a lot of potential here. For example if I want to share my notes with my colleagues; it would be great to link inside of the meeting note to some previous note in the same document (e.g. decision points, action points).

I hope to see this feature in the future. Thanks! :)

I'm missing this feature also. It's so simple to do it here. Why can't Evernote? Years waiting for that.

I don't believe this is possible, is it?

Correct.

My horrible workaround for the lack of anchors is breaking up long notes into lots of little chunks

I use the same workaround if I need a reliable note link to the info. Otherwise, I use:

- Note search to locate info in a longer note

- Clipped anchors as links back to original source page at the anchor

What is a "clipped anchor"? Thx.

First post on this thread was four(!) years ago, and still no anchor functinality... W.T.F. Evernote!?  :wacko:

This would be an extremely useful feature for us. Especially when we need to link between long notes (something I at least find myself doing a lot). How complicated can this feature be to implement vs the userfriendliness one gets? Effort vs impact is a nobrainer here!

1 person likes this

Anchor would be really practical since we also use Evernote as a knowledge base in our company. And if it get's too much for light users, you just hide it a bit right? Power users will find it anyway ...

And otherwise we just use the new 'paper' tool from dropbox and paste it in our notes right ;-)

1 person likes this

Yes, I need anchors. I even want them to jump from one note to a specific section in another note. And please, open links in new windows or tabs!

1 person likes this