(Archived) better tag list

Just an small idea about tags

I am looking at my list of tags on my screen and it seems somehow awkward:

1. There are tags with 0 count, in that case they are just visual clutter. Why is it important to keep non-used tags displayed?

2. Tags filtering: I am not sure how useful could be a search/box filter for the tags, since I believe that there should be only one place to write text for search in the GUI. However it would be really nice if the program displays only tags used for the selected notebook.

3. Tags ordering. Maybe it is only a matter of taste, but I usually find more useful ordering tags by use-frequency, not alphabetically.

4. I am not sure if it is a habit from other tools, but I find myself very often in the situation where I forget that tags must be comma separated. Maybe some users like me would appreciate a settings option where we can specify that we use only single word tags

well, there goes some ideas, hope to see any of them considered

cheers,

Francisco

• Level 5

1. There are tags with 0 count, in that case they are just visual clutter. Why is it important to keep non-used tags displayed?

It's not important in most cases. If there are zero notes for the tag, and it it is not important, just go ahead and delete it.

3. Tags ordering. Maybe it is only a matter of taste, but I usually find more useful ordering tags by use-frequency, not alphabetically.

It might be helpful in general housecleaning of the tags. I go through my list of tags once a month to eliminate trivial tags or correct spelling errors.

4. I am not sure if it is a habit from other tools, but I find myself very often in the situation where I forget that tags must be comma separated. Maybe some users like me would appreciate a settings option where we can specify that we use only single word tags

tags are not separated by commas, they are separated by a space

tag:family tag:Christmas

• Level 5*

@Francisco Garcia: You didn't mention which client you are using. The Windows client has settings for hiding unassigned tags. This works for the currently selected notebook (or stack, or All Notebooks). That should suffice for #1 and 2.

@jbenson2: Some contexts use commas to separate tags, for example, when entering tags in the Chrome web clipper. Tags can contain spaces, by the way. Mine don't, but it's allowed.

• 1 month later...

What about tags being specific to a stack as well as a global set?

I'm keeping some notes from my consulting as well as personal notes. I really don't want to have to go through my personal note tags when I'm creating consulting notes and visa-versa. They are totally unrelated.

But thanks for the great app and service!

• Level 5*

tags are independent of notebooks. i can think of some solutions to your problem.

1. rename all of your tags so they start with an x or a y. x-reports is for work and y-taxes is for home. they'll display more or less separately.

2. use subtags. i think, if i remember correctly that you can collapse them. have a parent tag for work, one for home, and everything else as sub-tags.

• Level 5*

@cfrankllindal: GrumpyMonkey is correct: tags are global to all of your notebooks/stacks. This is useful to me, because I tend to have a set of general-purpose tags that can apply to almost any note (e.g. "_Todo"); I don't need a separate todo tag for each of my work and personal notes. You didn't say what client you're using, but on the desktop, I generally add tags using the note editor's tag entry: I start typing a tag, and a list appears that contains matching tags, much narrowed down from the main list. I can pick from there, or just complete. I never tag using the tag tree, in fact I usually keep it closed entirely.

• Level 5*

tags are independent of notebooks. i can think of some solutions to your problem.

1. rename all of your tags so they start with an x or a y. x-reports is for work and y-taxes is for home. they'll display more or less separately.

2. use subtags. i think, if i remember correctly that you can collapse them. have a parent tag for work, one for home, and everything else as sub-tags.

I use a combination of these.

• Using a consistent prefix allows for quick selection during tag assignment
  • Using subtags allows you to collapse the Tag list in the Left Panel

If you want to separate, for example, your personal and business tags, you could create two top-level tags:

• Personal
  • Business

Then you could add subtags to each, using a prefix.

For example:

• Business
    • B.Finance
    • B.Client
    • B.Taxes

When you want to add a tag to a Note using the Note Tags field, you can just type "B." and you will see a list of all tags that begin with "B.". From there you can either use the arrow key to select the tag you want, OR, just type the next letter. If you now type "C", making the tag entry to be "B.C" evernote with autoselect "B.Client" and all you need to do is hit the RETURN key to select and enter that tag.

• 1 month later...

Archived