I'm going back to Apple Notes

Hi

I've stuck it out with Evernote but I can't cope with it anymore. The way the notes (even the ones where I've clicked the star symbol) often disappear for various lengths of time just when I need them. At least the Apple Notes stay visible until they are updated.

I did give Evernote a chance. It seems like a great concept especially with being able to use Skitch with it. But then again I've noticed I can paste images into Apple Notes now.

Anyway thanks very much for help I've received so far.

Glad to hear you found a solution!

But, do you mean "Notes" on the iPad? Holy cow. That is a huge step down. At least use pages or something with some decent capabilities.

I've actually just discovered I can create new mailboxes in my iCloud account, under Notes, on my Mac and under Notes on my iPhone it shows up as a new grouping. I don't know yet if I can do that from my iPhone or iPad but I'll play with it some more. I have got Pages on iOS (as well as Simplenote) so I could check that out.

I also started using notes for storing the information that I need quick access to. Notes are searchable within iOS spotlight, so I am using # for taggin purposes and it works like a charm.

Wow that's interesting.

Now If you also would start using default reminders app for gtd actions and projects then this would be the ultimate combination! LOL

:)

• Level 5*

Good for you. Now, all of you switchers to other products…

SHUT UP & POST ON *THEIR* FORUMS!

Your whining rants clutter up better-used space.

i disagree. their posts come out of frustration with the product. i'm interested in hearing them. i haven't experienced the op's problem, and i consider a switch to notes like going from pancakes to gruel, but i am still interested in the choices people make and their reasons. there is plenty of space in the forums :)

i disagree. their posts come out of frustration with the product. i'm interested in hearing them. i haven't experienced the op's problem, and i consider a switch to notes like going from pancakes to gruel, but i am still interested in the choices people make and their reasons. there is plenty of space in the forums :)

I'll still keep an eye on future Evernote releases.

I don't know if my problem exists because of the speed of my mobile phone network here in Australia. I just don't like the way the notes disappear while Evernote looks to update them. If Evernote keeps the cached copy of the note visible while it's looking for any update to it I'd be happy to keep using Evernote. That's the one issue that's made me look to switch to using something else (though maybe not the Apple Notes app, I'm looking at other options now).

Evernote is a great concept but the Evernote team needs to look at usability issues like this.

i disagree. their posts come out of frustration with the product. i'm interested in hearing them. i haven't experienced the op's problem, and i consider a switch to notes like going from pancakes to gruel, but i am still interested in the choices people make and their reasons. there is plenty of space in the forums ;)

Would you like it if people hung signs for your competition on your property, just because "there's plenty of room"? I think not.

I think that any product forum, not just this one, is better when people can speak freely about anything related to the product. That includes competition.

For customers, talking about going to another product is a good way to express their level of frustration.

Good companies and teams see those posts as motivation to make their products better.

I have been very critical of Evernote's shortcomings and have made some harsh posts, and I definitely appreciate that the mods have let those posts stand. If they were discouraging or deleting them it would mean they were more worried about public perception than the feedback of their customers, which would be a very bad road to go down.

• Level 5*

i disagree. their posts come out of frustration with the product. i'm interested in hearing them. i haven't experienced the op's problem, and i consider a switch to notes like going from pancakes to gruel, but i am still interested in the choices people make and their reasons. there is plenty of space in the forums ;)

Would you like it if people hung signs for your competition on your property, just because "there's plenty of room"? I think not.

But, this isn't private property. It is a space that Evernote opened up for a User Forum. My understanding is that they want us to share our opinions honestly and openly. If someone is leaving Evernote and they post their reasons why we can:

1. point them in a direction that might help them (suggest other options) with the understanding (obviously) that we think that Evernote is the better product

2. solve their problem if we can--sometimes people just don't understand the potential in Evernote; in this case we should have mentioned that uninstalling and re-installing Evernote often solves problems.

3. hear what drove them away, discuss it, and bring it to the attention of the Evernote developers

Personally, I haven't noticed this problem that the OP mentioned. I have commented to Evernote that there is a brief delay between saving a note and being able to view it. For a moment it even looks as if everything has been lost. I consider this a bug they need to fix, but I have experienced no other disappearing notes. This certainly seems like something Evernote ought to look into. Should they consider the next-to-useless Apple Notes a competitor? I think not :lol:

Anyhow, I don't think telling them to shut up is going to help with the problem or engender much goodwill. Besides, this kind of defection thread is fairly common in user forums, and telling this person to shut up is unlikely to kill the genre.

P.S.

It looks like most of your posts are ones telling people to stop talking. Are you sure a "discussion forum" is the right place to tilt against this particular windmill?

If users are unhappy with Evernote and looking for another product, then discussing other products is not really "competition", is it?

As others have said, "flounce" threads exist on every product message board. And stifling those only make the company look like they are worried about their product. If someone comes to the board & says "being able to assign stars to my notes is a must have/deal breaker", the I will tell them Evernote is not the app for them. Nothing wrong with that.

• Level 5*
But, this isn't private property. It is a space that Evernote opened up for a User Forum. My understanding is that they want us to share our opinions honestly and openly.

Exactly. And they censor very, very minimally.

I'll say this. Evernote still seems like a great product overall. If they can fix just that one bug of the notes disappearing while they look for an update I'll stick to using Evernote.

I suspect other people don't experience that bug because they probably live in areas that have better phone reception than I experience. I've noticed I mainly have a problem with that bug when I'm inside buildings or in areas of bad reception so the disappearance of the note I'm looking at happens for a noticeable amount of time.

If the note didn't disappear but maybe had an icon saying it was looking for an update to the note I could live with that.

I'll say this. Evernote still seems like a great product overall. If they can fix just that one bug of the notes disappearing while they look for an update I'll stick to using Evernote.

I suspect other people don't experience that bug because they probably live in areas that have better phone reception than I experience. I've noticed I mainly have a problem with that bug when I'm inside buildings or in areas of bad reception so the disappearance of the note I'm looking at happens for a noticeable amount of time.

If the note didn't disappear but maybe had an icon saying it was looking for an update to the note I could live with that.

Have you tried the offline notebook functionality that comes with the Premium subscription. This feature allows you to select notebooks to view whilst offline or have very sporadic network coverage.

Have you tried the offline notebook functionality that comes with the Premium subscription. This feature allows you to select notebooks to view whilst offline or have very sporadic network coverage.

I do have that and it's turned on.

Should I try something like uninstalling and re-installing Evernote on my iPhone? Should I try clearing the cache?

• 5 months later...

I realise it is an old one but I just spotted this topic as it kind of sums up my feelings but for a slightly different reason.

I have Evernote free version on the iPhone 3GS. I had a note I have been adding to with text for ages and was very important to me.

One day I go to add to the note, I can see that in the All Notes list it does show text in it.

However when I open the note I'm in an area with no reception and it did not load properly, BUT there is no cancel or back button at this point..

So i added the text to the note and then saved it.

Lo and behold, instead of adding this text to the list I already had it wiped everything...

I tried to disconnect my phone from all networks to avoid it connecting and doing the same on the internet profile but somehow it must have done this anyway.

I have now lost this note and all of the data I had built up and despite going through the help process they say that nothing can be done to find it unless there is a illusive file of non description in the caches folder of the app on my phone. I have tried finding something but got nowhere.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to recover this text that would be great but whilst I think the app is very useful, it has flaws that have cost me some very important information.

Please Evernote, do one or all of the following so that others dont suffer the same..

- provide a warning that if you are out of network range your note might not load/save properly and you are better off starting a new note

- provide a cancel button at the note editing screen so that if you get to that point and the note has not loaded correctly you can cancel without risk of loosing data.

- provide a historical archive of data like a snapshot at the beginning of every month going back a little way. You keep ALL deleted notes available for recovery no matter how old so why not this...

I hope this helps improve an app that up until now I had enjoyed and trusted completely

I also started using notes for storing the information that I need quick access to. Notes are searchable within iOS spotlight, so I am using # for taggin purposes and it works like a charm.

That's a damn good idea! Why didn't I think of that?!

Yep, one of many examples of how note contents could be both data and metadata. :)

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Mountain Lion preview page, Apple Notes is getting a pretty big revamp that will make it a much more viable alternative to Evernote. And since iCloud also has a web interface, Windows users will have access to their notes via browser.

Specifically:

• iCloud syncing across Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and web
  • Folders (i.e. notebooks)
  • Search
  • Images and attachments
  • Fonts, rich text, bullets and lists
  • Sharing
  • Multiple accounts (hopefully a good way to emulate shared notebooks via custom accounts)

Everyone has different needs and different platforms, but given that I'm a Mac/iPad/iPhone user this sounds ideal. The features listed above are 100% of what I use Evernote for, so one of the first things I'm going to do next month when Mountain Lion comes out is do a feature comparison.

I've stuck with Evernote because, despite the fact that there are a number of frustrating issues that have lingered for 8-12 months without being fixed, there's really nothing else that compares to it fully.

Now that Apple Notes is getting a big feature boost and will receive focused support (as opposed to Evernote, which supports a ton of platforms to the detriment of most), my hopes are high that Notes will either be a valid, stable replacement for Evernote or enough of a competitor to push Evernote to significantly improve the performance of the iOS apps.

If the new version of Apple Notes in Mountain Lion works how the features page claims, I'll be moving my stuff over immediately and ditching my premium Evernote account forever.

According to the Mountain Lion preview page, Apple Notes is getting a pretty big revamp that will make it a much more viable alternative to Evernote. And since iCloud also has a web interface, Windows users will have access to their notes via browser.

Specifically:

• iCloud syncing across Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and web
  • Folders (i.e. notebooks)
  • Search
  • Images and attachments
  • Fonts, rich text, bullets and lists
  • Sharing
  • Multiple accounts (hopefully a good way to emulate shared notebooks via custom accounts)

Everyone has different needs and different platforms, but given that I'm a Mac/iPad/iPhone user this sounds ideal. The features listed above are 100% of what I use Evernote for, so one of the first things I'm going to do next month when Mountain Lion comes out is do a feature comparison.

I've stuck with Evernote because, despite the fact that there are a number of frustrating issues that have lingered for 8-12 months without being fixed, there's really nothing else that compares to it fully.

Now that Apple Notes is getting a big feature boost and will receive focused support (as opposed to Evernote, which supports a ton of platforms to the detriment of most), my hopes are high that Notes will either be a valid, stable replacement for Evernote or enough of a competitor to push Evernote to significantly improve the performance of the iOS apps.

If the new version of Apple Notes in Mountain Lion works how the features page claims, I'll be moving my stuff over immediately and ditching my premium Evernote account forever.

Does look good. Also has photo drag and dropping. Like you, I've gone fully Apple, so I'll certainly be looking at this. No web clipping, though, and a LOT of my EN notes are web clips. I also use EN extensively for scanning documents in, so I won't be moving away from EN any time soon.

• Level 5*

Apple Notes does seem to be coming along nicely. If you are living within the Apple ecosystem, then it may well be a viable alternative to Evernote. It is not going to be as full-featured as Evernote is now, and certainly not future Evernote. However, there are use-cases that could benefit from it. I would suggest considering a mix of the two applications. For example, use Evernote for "stuff created by others" to hold web-clippings, PDFs, etc. and Apple Notes for "stuff created by me" to hold copies of notes you have made. This way, you can take advantage of Evernote's web clipping, OCR for images and PDFs, and search features. Just a thought.

The thing is, I don't really use the advanced features of Evernote. I don't use the web clipper (I save articles in Instapaper), I don't use OCR on pdfs, and I treat pdfs in general as attachments, not primary Evernote documents. 90% of my notes are text I typed myself. For me it's not a repository of other content types.

All I've ever wanted from Evernote is rock-solid syncing and competent handling of text with occasional attachments. The text is coming along, but is still frustrating and wonky on the iPhone. I lose my offline notebooks about once a week, and judging by the frequent "I lost my note content" posts here it's clear that syncing is still problematic.

In short, an app called "Evernote" still struggles to let users create clean notes and maintain access to them.

Evernote does what I want on paper, but it's too buggy and unreliable. Some of the issues that frustrate me daily have been around for a year. That's terrible support and turnaround time, and in my opinion Evernote is way too focused on expansion and new features ... at the expense of simply solidifying the core functionality that's already there.

My hope is that Apple Notes, being backed by Apple and focused on a single ecosystem, will give me the elegance and reliability that Evernote can't.

Plus it's free.

..., and in my opinion Evernote is way too focused on expansion and new features ... at the expense of simply solidifying the core functionality that's already there.

I think that's the problem in a nutshell. Evernote is a great concept but they're so focused on adding new features they don't seem to do anything about fixing the problems. Instead of buying and adding things like Penultimate and Skitch they should've been spending time on making Evernote a reliable and easy to use product.

Instead Evernote seems bug ridden and, dare I say, not as easy to use as it should be. I hope the people at Evernote are still reading this thread.

As for me I'm on a break from University study for about 3 weeks so I'll finish off transferring my stuff from Evernote to Apple Notes and Pages. I've already cancelled my Premium membership with Evernote.

I'll still keep an eye on Evernote. I'm hoping they will come to their senses and turn this into the product it should be. Although with what I read about the next version of Apple Notes in Mountain Lion I think it might be too late. I don't know what is happening with Windows in that regard (being the Mac person I am) but I'd be very surprised if Evernote doesn't have a similar competitor there, or maybe "soon".

All I know is i've been frustrated by the experience of seeing notes disappearing in Evernote on my iPhone even for up to 10 or more seconds at a time. That's just not good enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Another viable alternative seems to be Notebooks, which has an iPad, iPhone and Mac app (in free public beta through August).

http://www.notebooksapp.com/

It's not free, but since it uses Dropbox/WebDAV/iCloud (coming soon) syncing there are no ongoing charges.

Its feature list is quite robust, and it appears to support a ton of formats and functions. It's also quite aesthetically pleasing compared to Evernote, and they seem to take text formatting seriously.

Anyone here used it?

• Level 5*

Another viable alternative seems to be Notebooks, which has an iPad, iPhone and Mac app (in free public beta through August).

http://www.notebooksapp.com/

It's not free, but since it uses Dropbox/WebDAV/iCloud (coming soon) syncing there are no ongoing charges.

Its feature list is quite robust, and it appears to support a ton of formats and functions. It's also quite aesthetically pleasing compared to Evernote, and they seem to take text formatting seriously.

Anyone here used it?

I think the public beta for Mac originally ended in June. You can still download it, though (as E-Note mentioned), until August 20. I downloaded the Notebooks beta for Mac, but couldn't get it to install properly for some reason, and I have not gotten around to figuring out what went wrong.

http://www.notebooksapp.com/mac/

I have used Notebooks on the iPad for quite a while now (since 2011?). Relevant to this thread, the app lack things found on the iPad in Evernote (highlighting), but has others that people on these forums request (plain text and timestamps). I think the developers are making a valiant attempt to be the ultimate notetaking app for the Apple ecosystem, they've made a positive impression so far, and the app is what you would expect from something built for a single platform (iOS) -- rich in features (lots of options) with a beautiful interface.

Personally, I prefer Evernote. Evernote stores my data on the cloud so that I can have several gigabytes of data there, and access it all seamlessly, but keep 0 on my iPad. Evernote is also platform-agnostic, so that while it may not have every feature available in other apps, it has all of the ones I need available on every platform, meaning that I don't have to be locked into one ecosystem. There are lots and lots of other reasons I rely on Evernote (incredible search capabilities, stability, near-perfect web-clipping, etc., etc.), but I think these are the two that really stand out to me in comparing the two apps.

From my perspective, I guess it isn't so much "what's wrong with Notebooks," but "what's right with Evernote".

Yep, one of many examples of how note contents could be both data and metadata. :)

Don't get me wrong guys, I still love and use Evernote, just for the things that I need quick access to, I really need notes. My contract number of my cable provider is in there, because they ask me every time I call them. There are also other small tidbits of information that I love to have handy in spotlight, without entering any of the apps.

For all the major research and storage, I still use Evernote, and pull files from there into Scrivener.

• Level 5*

Don't get me wrong guys, I still love and use Evernote, just for the things that I need quick access to, I really need notes. My contract number of my cable provider is in there, because they ask me every time I call them. There are also other small tidbits of information that I love to have handy in spotlight, without entering any of the apps.

For all the major research and storage, I still use Evernote, and pull files from there into Scrivener.

Apple has made it impossible for Evernote to compete fairly on the iPhone/iPad, because Spotlight only indexes content from Apple apps, right? On the Mac it is different:

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-spotlight-search.html

As for quickly pulling up information, if you "favorite" a note in Evernote, or put those notes you need for quick reference into a saved search, they ought to be easily and quickly found. More importantly, I think you need to think about switching cable providers :) I only called mine once two years ago to set up service, and haven't needed to call them again, thank goodness.

• 2 years later...

i disagree. their posts come out of frustration with the product. i'm interested in hearing them. i haven't experienced the op's problem, and i consider a switch to notes like going from pancakes to gruel, but i am still interested in the choices people make and their reasons. there is plenty of space in the forums smile.png

I like your altitude.

Recently I'm also considering shifting my main note-taking app to apple notes. But I'll also stick with EN.

My EN is getting larger and larger everyday. Now I have about 2k notes. Newsletters are sent to EV by email everyday. I clip a lot of web pages. I photocopies shopping receipts. I share notebooks with my colleagues. As contents growing everyday, EV starts to seem cumbersome for me. The notebooks, tags,  titles, urls, reminders, etc. This is strange to even to me because that's why I love EV in the first place!

In a word, it's becoming large and serious, just like Microsoft Word or say Photoshop, having thousands of functions that I may never use.

On the contrary, apple notes' simplicity appeals to me. Actually, I've been an apple user for many years and only to recently, I start to look at notes app seriously. EV's concept like notebook, tag, title, geotag can be achieved simply by a hashtag, just like in twitter. That's enough for me most of the time.

EN is a great and indispensable software for me. But sometimes, I just want things to be simpler.

i disagree. their posts come out of frustration with the product. i'm interested in hearing them. i haven't experienced the op's problem, and i consider a switch to notes like going from pancakes to gruel, but i am still interested in the choices people make and their reasons. there is plenty of space in the forums smile.png

I like your altitude.

Recently I'm also considering shifting my main note-taking app to apple notes. But I'll also stick with EN.

My EN is getting larger and larger everyday. Now I have about 2k notes. Newsletters are sent to EV by email everyday. I clip a lot of web pages. I photocopies shopping receipts. I share notebooks with my colleagues. As contents growing everyday, EV starts to seem cumbersome for me. The notebooks, tags,  titles, urls, reminders, etc. This is strange to even to me because that's why I love EV in the first place!

In a word, it's becoming large and serious, just like Microsoft Word or say Photoshop, having thousands of functions that I may never use.

On the contrary, apple notes' simplicity appeals to me. Actually, I've been an apple user for many years and only to recently, I start to look at notes app seriously. EV's concept like notebook, tag, title, geotag can be achieved simply by a hashtag, just like in twitter. That's enough for me most of the time.

EN is a great and indispensable software for me. But sometimes, I just want things to be simpler.

I see I'm still subscribed to this thread.

Evernote has a reputation now for being bug ridden. I've read plenty of comments on other sites saying that the people behind Evernote are only interested in making money and don't care about fixing the bugs. Plus when Evernote buys an app it gets wrecked. Skitch used to be great until Evernote got their grubby hands on it.

As for me I've recently been using SimpleNote but I've started to give OneNote a go. They are both very different in their approach but they both seem to have a lot less bugs than Evernote.

The really sad thing is Evernote was really great when I first started using it and I was happy to pay for the premium subscription. I don't know what happened to cause it to go down the toilet. Did it get bought out by another company?

• Level 5*

I don't know how to measure reputation, I don't know how to measure venality, and I think opinions vary about Skitch. I am afraid those are difficult claims to evaluate.

Simplenote and OneNote are wonderful services, but they have their own bugs and I think their owners probably like earning money as well, so I am not sure comparing them in this way will help in making a decision about whether to use them. I think the best thing to do is to use the app yourself and see if it fits your use case. It sounds like you have. What aspects, in particular, are lacking for you? If a bug or something else causes you too many problems, then maybe Simplenote or Onenote will be better for you.

I don't know how to measure reputation, I don't know how to measure venality, and I think opinions vary about Skitch. I am afraid those are difficult claims to evaluate.

Simplenote and OneNote are wonderful services, but they have their own bugs and I think their owners probably like earning money as well, so I am not sure comparing them in this way will help in making a decision about whether to use them. I think the best thing to do is to use the app yourself and see if it fits your use case. It sounds like you have. What aspects, in particular, are lacking for you? If a bug or something else causes you too many problems, then maybe Simplenote or Onenote will be better for you.

That's a piss-poor reply. Even the CEO of Evernote acknowledged problems with Evernote earlier this year. 

My biggest gripe with Evernote was seeing a note disappear for a minute or longer whenever I opened it, presumably while it was checking the server for updates. Microsoft's OneNote seems bug free compared to my experience of Evernote. Simplenote seems a pleasure to use compared to the bug ridden Evernote and Simplenote wont even let me put images in the notes (while OneNote does). I've already mentioned how Evernote wrecks any apps they buy, like Skitch.

Hopefully the people behind Everenote have taken ownership of these problems and see the need to fix Evernote. But after my bad experience with Everenote it would take an awful lot to trust it with my notes again.

That's a piss-poor reply. Even the CEO of Evernote acknowledged problems with Evernote earlier this year. 

My biggest gripe with Evernote was seeing a note disappear for a minute or longer whenever I opened it, presumably while it was checking the server for updates. Microsoft's OneNote seems bug free compared to my experience of Evernote. Simplenote seems a pleasure to use compared to the bug ridden Evernote and Simplenote wont even let me put images in the notes (while OneNote does). I've already mentioned how Evernote wrecks any apps they buy, like Skitch.

Hopefully the people behind Everenote have taken ownership of these problems and see the need to fix Evernote. But after my bad experience with Everenote it would take an awful lot to trust it with my notes again.

Then I don't know what the problem is. Sounds like OneNote is the app that better suits your needs. You can stop following the thread by clickng 'unfollow' at the top of the thread & to the right.

• 1 year later...

I like your altitude.

So what is the solution to exporting ~1,000 Evernote notes to Apple Notes?

• Level 5*

A "thoroughly supported" app that provides no easy way in or out (portability), usage on other platforms (compatibility), ability to easily find data (advanced search), ability to easily sift through data (sorting), etc.

Don't get me wrong, AN is a great step forward, but Apple's interest (for any app) in these kinds of things is pretty shallow. That's fine for some people, but for me, the lack of portability alone makes it a non-starter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I also would love to know how to export all Evernote content to Mac notes. Someone must know how to automate this.

maybe. i don't know it, though. and, this gets to the heart of the problem with notes: portability.

it's long been difficult to get into notes, or get out of them. over time, as you build up to hundreds or thousands of notes, you discover how terrible the app is for managing data. maybe the new version is better, and we just haven't figured out the secret, but it has a poor track record, and i would recommend avoiding it for anything more than a handful of basic notes.

Archived