image sizing

Can we please get the ability to resize images when adding to evernote from iphone?

Massive images are hard to work with, reduce readability, and increase sync time. They also suck up all of your storage quota.

I get that Evernote needs to make money, but this is kind a crappy way to force people into paid plans (whether intentional or not).

I get that Evernote needs to make money, but this is kind a crappy way to force people into paid plans (whether intentional or not).

I am paid user and also cannot resize pictures. It can be better that we could do this but there is workaround. So it is not for the money.

Can we please get the ability to resize images when adding to evernote from iphone?

Massive images are hard to work with, reduce readability, and increase sync time. They also suck up all of your storage quota.

Please feel free to get the third party app of your choice to resize/rotate/annotate/edit the photos before adding them to Evernote. I use Photogene.

• 2 weeks later...

Photogene is ok, but requires multiple steps in order to add. Tap2Ever is better as it posts directly into evernote.

But again, this is really core functionality when your entire mission is to make note taking simple and easy. Again, look at the other similar business models. It is like having to use a third party app to rip CDs at different bit rates, or using Photogene for before posting to photosharting websites.

I hate to be cynical, but I am betting this is all about revenue generation. It takes alot of text and small images to max out your free quota. But only a few massive/unwieldy images.

At least Tap2Ever kind of fits into a reasonable workflow.

Photogene is ok, but requires multiple steps in order to add. Tap2Ever is better as it posts directly into evernote.

I will have to check that out.

But again, this is really core functionality when your entire mission is to make note taking simple and easy.

EN tends to focus on their "core functionality" (collecting info from various sources & distributing that info on a variety of computers/devices) without reinventing the wheel. Something as "basic" as resizing an image would need (in theory, if they try to keep feature parity across all clients, which they do) to be added to at least 14 clients. OTOH, if users use their third party app of choice, then I can use Paint Shop Pro (which I'm pretty familiar with) and you (or someone else) can use Photoshop & Dave E can use Paint. IMO, this is a wise choice by EN.

• 5 months later...

I disagree - this really should be core functionality. Evernote is great because it's quick and easy to create notes - whether they be image or text-based. Having to do steps either before or after to make the images smaller completely detracts from the simplicity of the application.

I actually came into the forum for the first time to find out more info about this exact topic. As someone who wants to use evernote to capture images as part of quick notes I'm finding that the massive image sizes are becoming very annoying from a speed perspective. It would be great if I could select an option to have all images that are added to my notes to be smaller in size. During the day I'm constantly switching back and forth between my phone and the desktop versions of evernote.

The ability to rotate images within a note would also be very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Can we have a vote? I am desperate to get this feature. As BurgersNF says.. Evernote should focus on core functionality - and this is a core functionality.

I just counted 42 clicks to get 4 images resized on my laptop so that I could take 9.2Mb of images down to 170Kb for saving and sharing in Evernote.

Not only that - evernote synchronised much faster. A BIG plus.

Can we have a vote? I am desperate to get this feature. As BurgersNF says.. Evernote should focus on core functionality - and this is a core functionality.

I just counted 42 clicks to get 4 images resized on my laptop so that I could take 9.2Mb of images down to 170Kb for saving and sharing in Evernote.

Not only that - evernote synchronised much faster. A BIG plus.

Evernote's answer to editing images for Evernote is to use their product, Skitch. It doesn't appear Skitch currently does resizing. I'm guessing that will be added later.

EN has stated in the past that they make are not interested in feature voting mechanisms, which are often inaccurate.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also shocked that this isn't a built in feature. I'd be more than happy with a simple setting for default resolution (low, med, high, max). With 8MP cameras on the new iphones, this will consume way more data than anyone would need for the vast majority of pictures. Using 3rd party apps to do this is an option, but really it should be built into the EN app.

Equally amazing to me is that this also isn't available in the windows client. Click an image, go down to the corner and resize it to however big you want it to appear in your note. Seems a pretty basic feature. Shouldn't have to open up an image editing application for something so simple. The most basic content editors allow for resizing images. Heck, even this HTML editor I'm currently typing into allows for image display size changes see?

logo.png

logo.png

See? What I just did in 2 seconds in my browser takes a 3rd party editing tool with EN. That's not right. And this IS the core functionality of EN. We aren't talking about image manipulation like photoshop, we are talking about laying out content on a note at just about the most basic level.

EDIT: HAHHA. The HTML editor DOES let you quickly resize images, but when you save, Evernote strips the image size off leaving them to original size. EN just must hate image resizers like me :)

• 6 months later...

I  used my iphone to record pics and info for about 3 days in the EN app and paid the 1 year Premium membership for it's extremely convience way to recording. But when i opened the notes created from my phone on my laptop seeing all these original size pics, i was like" what the..."  i think it would be great that there is a choice to resize the pic after taking the photo in the EN app.IMO,people are willing to pay once the product is good enough.

• 1 month later...

evernote is NUTS... not to consider this feature request.

pay attention evernote... no user want to store a 8MP photo of a 320x240 pixel receipt size... Why the hell I want to have the 5" receipt mapped to the size of a 10ft wall... and thus wasting considerable bandwidth.. storage space... and frigging zoom out to see the picture distorted.

get your brains together... and fix this... don't give an excuse about using 3rd party tools.

I don't use evernote just becoz.. there is no resize feature builtin... i want to take snapshots every few hours.. and keep track of the spending.. prices, etc of items.. and searchable, etc.

I don't think you will ever get it... ok i stop here.. bye!!

and I am not using evernote.. until you fix this.

Just frigging read this guy... and you will know ... http://chrismay.org/2012/11/15/the-many-shortcomings-of-evernote/

• 1 year later...

Archived