(Archived) How to re-order notes in View column ?

Furisas

Is there a way to re-order which note comes before another note in the View column? I have 2 reasons to need this.

First, there are some docs (jpg, pdf, doc) I scanned which are sequential in nature , but the order I scanned each of them has mixed this up. I just want to have them appear in the right order in the view. Second, I sometimes merge the notes if they belong together (I select all relevant notes, and right click to merge them). Then all the more I need the re-ordering, because notes become merged in the order they appear - the latest as page1, the next latest as page2 etc.

Is there is a ready way which I just don't know?

• Level 5*

You cannot order notes arbitrarily; it's always based on a field (updated date, title, etc.). If you're in List view, you canclick on a column header to sort by that field (click on the same field again to reverse the sort order). Other views, you can use the "Notes by <field name>" dropdown.

I get it. Thanks, Jefito, for your super prompt response which nudged me towards a solution.

My work around is then to update each of the notes I want to merge, in the order that I need. That is first update last page, then update 2nd last page and so on.....So the relevant notes show up in the order I need, before I merge them. Great!

When merging notes, the order in which you select them is the order that they appear in the final resulting note.

So rather than modifying them to suit the order, just select them in the order that you want them in :)

• Level 5

To re-order some notes so they are closely grouped together in the correct sequence, I adjust the Created Date time portion.

Note #1 - 9:32:20 AM

Note #2 - 9:32:10 AM

Note #3 - 9:32:00 AM

Thanks too, Owen. Yes, your suggestion works universally.

In my workflow, I just leave alone the Evernote default title; I find it takes too much effort to edit the title of each note. I have only one Notebook, I tag each of my notes (it's easy, and its necessary for easy retrieval), and I use the powerful Search to unearth a particular note. I do this merging infrequently, and do it only at the computer, usually after I scanned a bunch of documents, where I have the full power of Evernote desktop client.

• Level 5*
When merging notes, the order in which you select them is the order that they appear in the final resulting note.

You're absolutely right -- I missed the merging part of the OP's question. Thanks for that.

• 1 year later...

My preference is to edit the Titles to get required sort order. Title edit is available in all clients. Date edits are not.

I have edited the title and it does not change the order. I also see no way to edit the date or time.

Why can't they allow us to change the order by dragging and dropping to the desired position?

• Level 5*

My preference is to edit the Titles to get required sort order. Title edit is available in all clients. Date edits are not.

I have edited the title and it does not change the order. I also see no way to edit the date or time.

Why can't they allow us to change the order by dragging and dropping to the desired position?

You need to change your note view sort order to have it sort by a different criterion.

In the Windows client (this is a Windows-tagged topic), you can easily change Created and Updated date -- it's right there in the note information panel above your note content.

You need to change your note view sort order to have it sort by a different criterion.

In the Windows client (this is a Windows-tagged topic), you can easily change Created and Updated date -- it's right there in the note information panel above your note content.

Sorry, my first time in the forums.  I was just searching the forum and did not realize topics were specific to platforms. I primarily use the web version -- I have not installed the desktop version. I will try to restrict my searches to the web section from now on.

• Level 5*

Sorry, my first time in the forums.  I was just searching the forum and did not realize topics were specific to platforms. I primarily use the web version -- I have not installed the desktop version. I will try to restrict my searches to the web section from now on.

OK, no problem. First time for everything. As I said elsewhere, I don't think that you can change the created or updated dates using the web client.

Archived