(Archived) Search grammer not honored

luken

Idea

Based on the search grammer described in http://www.evernote.com/about/support/Evernote-Mac-Guide.pdf (starting on page 28), because this is a quoted search (a phrase search) I would expect Evernote to only match the exact series of tokens provided and only match when those tokens are found consecutively and in the order specified by the search. (non ordered and non consecutive searches can be done by removing quotes).

Words or quoted phrases must exactly match a word or phrase in the note contents, note title, tag name, or recognition index.

In the document an example is given that supports this.

"eggs ham"

o matches: "green eggs&ham."

From what I understand the text is normalized to 3 tokens 'green,eggs,ham' and the search tokens matched in order and consecutively are 'eggs,ham' which does match the initial text. Now if the search terms "green ham" are given they normalize to 'green,ham' and fails to match because the term 'eggs' is in between the other two. This behaves as expected.

Here is a case where the above rules fail to be followed. To reproduce, put the following text into a note:

Search for one-two.three and it should only find this single instance

But it finds these as well:

one

two

a

three

Given the search terms "one-two.three" (with quotes around them) the search terms should normalize to 'one,two,three'. The above document text should normalize to 'search,for,one,two,three,and,it,should,only,find,this,single,instance,but,it,finds,these,as,well,one,two,a,three'. As you can see, the normalized document should have exactly one range matched ('one,two,three') but evernote also matches the terms 'one', 'two', 'three' in the document area 'one,two,a,three'.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

On the Windows client, I made a note that contains:

one

two

a

three

and one that contains:

But it finds these as well:

one

two

three

The search for "one-two.three" found the latter note, but did not find the former note. If it finds both on the Mac, then that would seem to be a bug.

I reported it as a bug in the support system. (See http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16572-search-issues-hyphen-and-underscore/page__view__findpost__p__112030). But I don't understand the response. They eventually closed the ticket because it had been open for a length of time. That's just a terrible reason to close a ticket, since they hadn't resolved it or given me any reason to believe that it would be resolved in a timely matter. I would suggest opening a battery of tickets with the same issue until they realize that it's an actual problem.

Archived