Inserting Horizontal Rules on iPhone

Hey there.

This may be a dumb question, but I really can't find a solution.

How to insert horizontal rules on iPhone? I can't find a button doing this. Is there a shortcut or something?

I really need rules, I use them quite frequently on my Mac for separating thoughts.

Hoping for an answer,

Requiem

Okay, I'm now using triple dash '---' for separating while being on iOS, and later, when I'm on the Mac, I replace the triple dash with a true horizontal rule.

Well, I don't know why, but I cant use the search function from EN to find all triple dashes, so that I can replace them. It just doens't find anything.

Why? Am I doing something wrong? I tried to put the triple dash in quotation marks, but this doens't help.

I inserted "___" (triple underscore) into an arbitrary note body in the Windows client. Then synced to get the change to the web.

Search for "___" (without the quotes) worked as expected on both the Windows and Web clients.

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac available to see what happens on that client.

I inserted "___" (triple underscore) into an arbitrary note body in the Windows client. Then synced to get the change to the web.

Search for "___" (without the quotes) worked as expected on both the Windows and Web clients.

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac available to see what happens on that client.

I do not have a Mac, either. But from this thread, it appears there may be Mac issues with underscore. I do know the Windows/web client functionality is the intended functionality based upon

This is actually intentional. We treat a "word" as any contiguous sequence of:

* letters (as defined by Unicode)

* numbers

* the underscore character

This allows you to use the underscore to make special "magic keywords" like "_foo" that you may want to search for again later.

Off to check iOS...

On a hunch (and a memory of Search and Saved Search working differently on iOS) I ran the following tests:

Created Saved Search "Triple Undescore" ( ___ ) on the Web client. Synced and executed this search on Web, Windows, and iOS clients.

iOS = 117 notes

Web = 71 notes

Windows = 70 notes

All of the search results included the note I had specifically modified for testing.

Most of the search results appeared to be matchs to horizontal lines in images. So...

Created Save Search "Triple Underscore (Text)" ( ___ -resource:image/* ). Reran tests.

iOS = 50 notes

Web = 10 notes

Windows = 10 notes

The test note was again included in all the search results.

JIC, Cleared Cache on iOS and reran final test. Same results.

Summary:

Inconsistent search results on the 3 clients.

Saved Search is a possible back door on the Mac client.

Note: The final saved search may exclude notes which include the underscores as text. It is just a test mechanism. There is no way to define exclude matches in images in the search grammar.

• 1 year later...

Is there any intention to bring this feature - inserting horizontal lines - from the web client ot the iOS client?  I for one use it frequently and would appreciate having it natively in the iOS environment.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This might be a tad late for 'Requiem" but I beleive a found a reasonable work around. If you're using horizontal lines in Evernote on you Mac then they will appear in the iphone app (or at least they do in mine). Though not ideal you can select this line in the iPhone app, and simply copy and paste it where you require. You have to be a little careful when copying however. It is possible to simply select the line itself but I found that this would not paste into the page (in the iPhone app). But if you select the line before the horizontal line, the line itself of course and the line after the horizontal line (!!), then it pastes into the page. It also syncs with the Mac app and with the web version!! Any use?

• 1 year later...

This might be a tad late for 'Requiem" but I beleive a found a reasonable work around. If you're using horizontal lines in Evernote on you Mac then they will appear in the iphone app (or at least they do in mine). Though not ideal you can select this line in the iPhone app, and simply copy and paste it where you require. You have to be a little careful when copying however. It is possible to simply select the line itself but I found that this would not paste into the page (in the iPhone app). But if you select the line before the horizontal line, the line itself of course and the line after the horizontal line (!!), then it pastes into the page. It also syncs with the Mac app and with the web version!! Any use?

Totally - thank you!

Archived