(Archived) Evernote for Android 3.4 live on the market

Xavier_

Hi All,

Evernote for Android version 3.4 is live on the market.

New on this update:

• Adds single note sharing activation and deactivation options
  • New icons to visually differentiate notebook types
  • Redesigned login and registration screens
  • Faster access to note editing and options

We are currently working on a force close issue when selecting settings.

It should be fixed shortly. => fixed

For more details:

http://blog.evernote...n-htc-giveaway/

Please feel free to post your feedback.

Thanks,

Xavier

After installing this update on my HTC G2, Evernote has been experiencing force closes every time I try to go into my Evernote settings. I have unistalled the program and reinstalled it in an effort to troubleshoot it, but this did not fix the problem. My carrier is T-mobile

• 2 weeks later...

I love Evernote. It is one of the apps that I rely on most. I use the service across multiple devices including desktops, laptops, tablets and the web. I have been seriously considering upgrading to a premium account.

Unfortunately, the version 3.4 made me have second thoughts. After spending some time with it, I rolled back to the old version, where I will remain until they fix the poor UI/UX choices that were made.

One of the things that I do frequently is edit existing notes. When I read the change log for 3.4, I was excited to see that they improved access to editing notes. Imagine my horror when I tried it out for the first time. I was unprepared for the new split-screen editing mode. It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at, especially since the onscreen keyboard obscured almost half of the screen. Once I understood what was going on, I still had a lot of trouble selecting the section of text that I wanted to edit.

The biggest question that I was left with was, "Why?" Editing pre-3.4 was great. The interface was clear and while it took a moment to switch into editing mode, it provided a powerful and understandable work flow. Evernote 3.4 takes twice as long to edit. Furthermore, I can't image what a new user would think when they fired up the new editing mode for the first time.

I have a ton of respect for Evernote as a company. I think they have done a great job making a product that works well across multiple platforms. The experience from device to device was uniform enough to allow a seamless transition. This new update breaks that trend and makes me worry about a company that would create such a sweeping, drastic change overnight.

I hope that Evernote seriously considers bringing back the old editing mode.

@Enderend

The split screen editing is not a new addition from version 3.4.

This editor is used only when the note cannot be fully edited with the usual note editor. For instance, when your note contains unsupported styling such as tables.

However, we've slightly changed the rules concerning indented lists. They used to be automatically flattened so the note can be edited within the full editor, but some users complained because it changed the styling without notice. Notes with indented lists are now considered as unsupported but still edit-able with the split-screen editor.

So, in my opinion, it is possible that the notes you tried to edit contained indented lists and that's why you experienced this editor.

Most of your notes should be still edit-able the same way as before. Please let us know if that's not the case and submit a ticket to the customer support so we investigate if there is an issue.

Thanks.

@JellyBean

You can download the latest beta version of the app at this URL:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Hi Xdelpalnque - I think Jelly Bean (and myself..) would like to know if we can download the fully released app from anywhere except Android Market.

I have installed the Beta sucesfully on my tablet but cannot go through the Market to get the released/checked version. I would normally prefer to use only released versions if possible,

Many thank, Robin

Archived