(Archived) Evernote for Windows 8 Revealed!

Nazmus

Hi folks!

My name is Nazmus, and if you do not know yet, there seems to be a special version of Evernote for Windows 8 coming soon! This version will only work on Windows 8 (not Windows 7 or earlier) and be available through the Windows 8 App Store. As with all new Windows 8 "metro style" apps, this app is designed for both touch and mouse/keyboard. It will also run fullscreen and will be more enjoyable to use!

Here's quick preview of the WIndows Store. You can see a big Evernote for Windows 8 tile. Note, this is NOT the Evernote for Windows 7, but rather, it is a completely, new, and redesigned app! Windows 8 Beta arrives late February of 2012, when we would expect to see this app be available for download.

7485.Internet-Explorer-10-app-button_5F00_2.png

3482.Windows-Store_5F00_thumb.png

• 5 months later...

I do not see any way to run Evernote on the Windows 8 desktop. It opens in to Metro, and in the Charm search results it does not offer any way to pin it to the desktop taskbar (and therefore run it in that environment) Also the functionality in the Metro environment is inexplicable. I don't see any way to navigate around, search or see my notebooks. Charm search doesn't seem to be supported. I'm quite puzzled by what I'm seeing,

• 1 month later...

I cannot find Evernote, or more importantly Skitch anywhere on the Metro Store, plenty of general links (Softronic etc), they in fact lead to Microsoft where nothing happens...

I want to try skitch but it's pretty pointless on a phone screen so weve tried to find it to get it to work on our windows 8 pre-release Beta system.

I have to say we have spent hours, but most of this is down to the appalling interface(s) of Windows 8, with nothing being findable and no explanations, really I suggest you guys program for existing Windows as Eight will likely be Microsoft's Armageddon

• Level 5*

Thanks! We're very excited about Windows 8

I am excited about trying it out as well. I really liked the Windows interface on mobile, and it will be interesting to see how Evernote incorporates the design elements of the platform into the app. Most importantly, as always, Evernote is there at launch. Good job maintaining prominent positions in all of the app stores. This promises to be an exciting year for Windows users :)

As for armageddon, I guess after using Windows for so long I have a little more faith in them to get it right. It is a lot more daring than anything they have done in the past (at least, it seems that way to me), but I think it is about time that they step up and re-brand themselves. One thing you can say about the new UI: it is distinctive!

I cannot find Evernote, or more importantly Skitch anywhere on the Metro Store, plenty of general links (Softronic etc), they in fact lead to Microsoft where nothing happens...

I want to try skitch but it's pretty pointless on a phone screen so weve tried to find it to get it to work on our windows 8 pre-release Beta system.

I have to say we have spent hours, but most of this is down to the appalling interface(s) of Windows 8, with nothing being findable and no explanations, really I suggest you guys program for existing Windows as Eight will likely be Microsoft's Armageddon

We're well underway with both Evernote and Skitch Metro releases. There's currently a glitch with the Metro Beta Appstore and both apps are not showing up, so we're trying to get that straightened out ASAP. Rest assured, when Metro is released, full-featured versions of both Evernote and Skitch will be there on day 1.

• Level 5

From what I have been able to determine, the Windows 8 demo is still a month away and the RTM version is at least 2 months away.

I find it odd that Evernote is tooting their horn so soon.

Especially considering all the previous staff forum messages about the Evernote policy of not revealing release information or their roadmap.

• Level 5*
Rest assured, when Metro is released, full-featured versions of both Evernote and Skitch will be there on day 1.

Is EN Mac also going to be ready on day 1 when Mac Mountain Lion is released?

• Level 5*

As far as I know, Evernote has been there for every major release date, so I'd say it is pretty likely we'll se a Mountain Lion optimized version from the first day (assuming Apple gets it into the store in a timely manner -- Evernote has no control over the app store owners).

Having Evernote on the screen with the Windows 8 demo was a major marketing coup, and I am glad to see that the developers succeeded in completing it. Great for Evernote (more users downloading it) and great for us (the increased revenue will fund more products and features down the road). I don't think this was Heather breaking ranks and letting us know about something on the road map. She is just reiterating a commitment they have already made clear (I am pretty sure Phil Libin has publicly discussed this commitment to being in the app stores on day 1), and as you know with the "due dates", Evernote is not averse to letting a few things slip now and again. What would a rule be without some exceptions?

From what I have been able to determine, the Windows 8 demo is still a month away and the RTM version is at least 2 months away.

I find it odd that Evernote is tooting their horn so soon.

Especially considering all the previous staff forum messages about the Evernote policy of not revealing release information or their roadmap.

Since Windows 8 is publicly available and our app in the Beta store is publicly available... we're not really announcing too much. I'd say that I'll go give Heather a stern talking, honestly... that's not going to happen :0

It is nice to see Evernote taking a more open position regarding new features coming down the pipeline.

I would say a new platform launch is different than new features. I would even say that a brand new platform (Windows 8) is fairly different than updating an old one (OSX Lion to Mtn Lion).

This isn't in any way a departure.

If it's been released to the public, we'll talk about it.

If it hasn't, we don't.

Our Skitch and Windows Metro apps are in the Appstore already, and are free to install for anyone who has that platform, so.......... :)

• Level 5

Per the OP: "there seems to be a special version of Evernote for Windows 8 coming soon!"

From my perspective, it is refreshing to see the marketing vault door opened a little bit.

Hi Heather,

Even with the Evernote link you have provided the response from the store is "Sorry, this app is no longer available."

We're working on that. Hoping to get it back up soon

Still nothing? Is there any reason why the MSI can't be posted as you do with the normal windows betas?

Just went up about 12 hours ago. For Windows 8, I believe you'll need to download apps from the Windows Store

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have downloaded the Windows 8 application and seem to be having some issues with it. I can't sync. It starts to but gets hung up at 19%. Is this something that others are seeing?

Can you PM me your activity logs? It should be under the Charm Bar >> Settings >> Customer Service

If you could also PM me your version number, which is under Settings >> Permissions that would be useful

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the current version is, indeed, able to run on Windows 8's legacy desktop. I am using Evernote as a desktop app right now in Windows 8!

Does that mean I could use version 4.5.10 if I could find out how to run a Windows 8 legacy desktop?

I do not see any way to run Evernote on the Windows 8 desktop. It opens in to Metro, and in the Charm search results it does not offer any way to pin it to the desktop taskbar (and therefore run it in that environment) Also the functionality in the Metro environment is inexplicable. I don't see any way to navigate around, search or see my notebooks. Charm search doesn't seem to be supported. I'm quite puzzled by what I'm seeing,

I agree strongly with this post. When can we see a better more user-friendly interface for Windows 8 users?

There's really no need to post in three separate threads about this. I feel like I'm chasing you around to answer your questions :)

On your desktop, go to Evernote.com and download 4.5.10 That will install and run on the desktop side of Windows 8 Pro

Archived