(Archived) extracting attachments from my notes

kitus

Idea

Hi there,

is there any app or script able to go through all my notes and extract their attached files? Currently, if you go to [ Library / Application Support / Evernote ] and then back up the 'data' directory there, you end up with a nice structure but full of randomly named folders; Evernote relies in some kind of random generated database structure.

For the sake of my own internal peace, I would like to backup my attachments with their original name. Since the Mac version does not feature folder import, I've ended up modifying my workflow and I use ScanDrop which, right now, does not keep a local copy unfortunatelly thus ever since I moved to the Mac, I no longer keep a local pdf copy of my scanned docs.

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks a million in advacne,

Marc

4 replies to this idea

I don't know about an automatic way to do that. I hope someone else can point you to what you're looking for, but I fear it's impossible.

The best I can think of is that you can search "resource:image/JPG" or "resource:application/PDF" depending on what form you scan in to find all your notes with scans. Then you can highlight all applicable notes, email them to yourself, and then download all the attachments that come in that way. You'll have to rename all the titles manually, though.

I know it's late to be giving you this suggestion, but maybe for someone else (or for you going forward): Because I often email PDFs to people, I've gotten into the habit of saving every attachment I put into Evernote in a folder called "In Evernote." Everything's totally unsorted in there, but because I make sure to keep the titles of documents in the folder the same as the titles of the Evernote notes containing them, when I'm looking at a file in Evernote that I want to email, I do a Spotlight search for the title and usually find it right away.

But that brings me to a complaint related to kitus's question: I would like to just use the email-from-Evernote feature to email attachments I've stored in Evernote, since that would be the fastest way to share by email. But the files are sent with names like "726.type1.pdf," and I know how maddening it is to get files with unhelpful names, so I would never bother anyone else with that. Is there a reason that, once an attachment is uploaded to Evernote, it is saved with a name like "726.type1.pdf" instead of its original name?

But that brings me to a complaint related to kitus's question: I would like to just use the email-from-Evernote feature to email attachments I've stored in Evernote, since that would be the fastest way to share by email. But the files are sent with names like "726.type1.pdf," and I know how maddening it is to get files with unhelpful names, so I would never bother anyone else with that. Is there a reason that, once an attachment is uploaded to Evernote, it is saved with a name like "726.type1.pdf" instead of its original name?

Well, it all looks to me as though Evernote's randomly generated database index is the reason.

There has to be a way to correlate that information though...

Thanks

If you use Dropbox or GDrive additionally to Evernote, then one way to extract all Evernote attachments is to use https://cloudHQ.net - cloudHQ is basically a cloud replication and synchronization service which can replicate all your Evernote notes into Dropbox, GDrive or some other cloud service.

So when note is replicated to Dropbox you will see all your attachments in the folder with name "<notename> (attachments)" (where <notename> is the name of the note).

I hope this helps.

Archived