(Archived) Default text isn't being followed with clippings, locked text

caffeineplease

I've noticed lately that EN Mac does not pull in properly clipped Font/Font Sizes into a note somehow selecting Font Georgia size 16 not my default Times New Roman. Also if I clip a "ready to Print" page from the NYTimes the result becomes all garbled at the top because I can't add extra lines or paste an image. It just pastes over the text. It's unusable now.

post-77023-0-72322400-1323191499_thumb.j

I've had lots of issues clipping from NYTimes.com (always using the Chrome clipper). Sometimes the text shows up nearly perfect, with the only quirk being that the headline is very small, and other times everything is messed up and I have to clip a second, third, or fourth time to get the page right. The distortion of New York Times pages is far worse and more common than anything else I've experienced with the clipper.

I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this discussion, since I don't believe it's a Mac-related issue, but since you two have raised issue with NYTimes.com here, I'll add my problem. If this belongs somewhere else, I trust an administrator will move the topic.

I did some quick tests in Chrome based on:

http://www.nytimes.c...on.html?_r=1

Clearly worked clearly.

Clips from original page and print page both seemed ok.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s29/sh/c5724072-1d2f-408c-a195-e2638d1caef5/7d8c47c06cbf112948bd96cc7808f61d

https://www.evernote...b923ef6d6a7bf1a

https://www.evernote...436f98de8d787db

Could all posters please post specific URLs for test in Firefox, etc.

Note: Clipper set to "Preserve styles for text".

• Level 5*
Could all posters please post specific URLs for test in Firefox, etc.

There are clearly (no pun intended) lots of problems with the latest round of EN FireFox clippers.

There are a number of threads and many posts in this forum, plus others in the Mac forum, that address this issue.

UPDATE: Firefox Web Clipper Beta with bug fixes (5.0.0.204582)

EN FireFox Clipper Mac Makes Changing Font Size Unusable

Dissapointed with Firefox add0on

Do an Advanced Search for "FireFox" in the title in the Web, Win, and Mac forums, and you will see 181 Threads!!!

Over the last month or so, the EN FF Clipper (Mac) has gotten so bad that it forced me to try Chrome, which works much better than it did in the past.

The problem is that FF is the only remaining clipper that clips directly to EN desktop client (Mac and Win).

Owyn: I can't use Clearly much for my purposes, because I use Diigo to annotate almost everything I read before I clip to Evernote, and Diigo doesn't work with Clearly.

As I mentioned, I only use Chrome (and, if it's relevant, 3.0.4 on Snow Leopard). Here are some examples of what can happen when I clip from NYTimes.com using the Chrome clipper.

Best-case clipping. Correct highlighting and formatting; only mistake is very small headline. (Original here.)

Middle-case clipping. Formatting isn't what it should be, but article can still be read; nothing is horribly distorted. (Original here.)

Worst-case clipping. Terrible formatting in general; italicized part is supposed to be highlighted as in the first link. (Original here.)

Weird-case clipping. This has only happened a few times, but it's just missing everything. (Original here.)

And I shouldn't even bother with their interactive graphics. (Original here.)

Luckily, recently the best-case scenario has been coming up a lot. But not always. I would just give up on the bad formatting, except I specifically highlight before clipping to Evernote so I can see my highlights in Evernote, and that's impossible when I don't get the best-case scenario.

@peterfmartin

Are you using selection clips or article clips?

Are you set to "Preserve all styles" or "Preserve styles for text"?

Did you try switching to "Print" version before markup and clipping?

FYI: Your weird clip as extended article clip (I pressed <Up> once to include image in article) with "Preserve styles for text".

https://www.evernote...44244c23e77f5e5

Will take a look at what Diigo does. I have not used it before.

Edit:

Note that I am testing from Chromium 15 on Linux. AFAIK this is consistent with Chrome 15 on Windows. I don't use Mac so can't say from experience if there are differences in Chrome clips in OSX.

Yes, Owyn, that happens. As I said earlier,

Sometimes the text shows up nearly perfect, with the only quirk being that the headline is very small, and other times everything is messed up and I have to clip a second, third, or fourth time to get the page right.

As suggested, when clippings are really screwed up, I often re-clip until it comes out right. My point was not that my messed-up cases should be reproduceable; in fact, they're not, and neither are the good clippings. It's a total crapshoot (in my experience so far) as to whether I get the best-case clipping, the worst-case clipping, or something else. I just wish I knew why it did this and whether there's any way I can get it to clip one way consistently.

Should I open a support case, or is this probably a "feature" I/we have to live with?

A support case is probably not of much good at this point. Intermittent corruption on the same clip is a worst case support problem. Jakob at Evernote checks this forum and there should be enough info for him to start with.

I use "Preserve styles for text" because:

- I am more concerned with content than page format in most cases.

- It removes annoying (to me) backgrounds from clips.

- The reduction in complexity results in more reliably rendered and edited clips.

I normally use article clips. In some cases I give up and resort to selection clips. ***** happens, but, in my personal experience it happened consistently on specific pages.

In particular, if I have not seen any of the corruption problems you reported in these tests.

There may be conflicts with that setting and Diigo. Will test.

PS:

I tend to come down on the side of good enough. I report problems as they show up, but, can usually come up with workarounds until problem is fixed. In this case, "Preserve styles for text" is a major workaround.

Thanks, Owyn, but bad news: From one test I ran just now after enabling "Preserve style for text," it seems that with Diigo highlighting on, everything gets way more screwed up—and the highlighting isn't preserved in the clipping (which is, after all, the most important part). Check it out: http://www.evernote....b07cc28266e11a.

EDIT: That link doesn't seem to be working, so here are some screen shots: top, middle, and bottom of the page.

Yeah. I suspected that was going to happen.

Best suggestion I can give you for now is to markup and article clip from "Print" version of articles. There may be Diigo conflicts there as well, but, that should be easy for you to test.

Yeah. Sigh. Ok, well I think we (or I) have said about all there is to say on this. Thanks for all your help, Owyn. And sorry for topic-jacking, caffeineplease. Back to normal programming, I guess. Final comment from me:

Feature request: Reliably perfect clipping of Times articles? ;)

• Level 5*

A support case is probably not of much good at this point. Intermittent corruption on the same clip is a worst case support problem. Jakob at Evernote checks this forum and there should be enough info for him to start with.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I recommend filing a support case any time it appears there may be a product defect/bug.

The more cases filed for a particular issue the more EN will understand how wide-spread the issue is.

Also, I suspect that each case will need to be reviewed and disposed of in some manner -- hopefully in creating an official bug.

IMO, there is far too much chatter in these forums to rely on your issue getting proper attention.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Just my 2c.

EDIT: That link doesn't seem to be working, so here are some screen shots: top, middle, and bottom of the page.

It worked before when I checked the link from GMail. Not working from the forum or GMail now. Did you accidentally remove the sharing from the note?

Just checked one of my share links and it is still working, so, should not be a service level problem.

Don't know whether I did anything, but it doesn't matter anymore. The problem's a problem, you've seen it, and others can look at the screen grabs if they want. No worries about following up on this anymore, unless you/someone else knows a way forward from here. Thanks again.

• Level 5*

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I recommend filing a support case any time it appears there may be a product defect/bug.

The more cases filed for a particular issue the more EN will understand how wide-spread the issue is.

Filing random unsupported reports of bugs may show Evernote that a problem is widespread, but it typically does not help them to isolate and reproduce the problem reliably, which is usually the key to fixing it. That's just Debugging 101. Give concrete examples, that fail all the time, and the devs will almost always get better traction on the problem. Where I work, it doesn't have Steps to Reproduce, it doesn't even get out of QA, much less to a developer.

• Level 5*

Filing random unsupported reports of bugs may show Evernote that a problem is widespread,

. . .

You grossly misinterpreted me. I didn't say anything about "random" or "unsupported" reports.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

All bug reports should provide sufficient detail to reproduce the issue, or at least the steps by which the issue sometimes occurs.

If you don't provide sufficient detail, I'm sure the support team will ask for additional info as required.

I still recommend that all significant issues be reported with a support case.

To bring this away from sniping and back to EN issues...

One thing that just occurred to me is that the NYT problem would also be avoided if we could highlight within EN. Clearly does clip beautifully, so I'd use that if I could then add highlighting in EN. (Of course, this feature would allow benefits even with non-clipped notes.)

• Level 5*

@JMU: Hmmm, I could have probably put that bit better. In the context I couldn't see why you might object to Owyn's pretty much non-controversial claim ("A support case is probably not of much good at this point. Intermittent corruption on the same clip is a worst case support problem."), and the apparent justification "The more cases filed for a particular issue the more EN will understand how wide-spread the issue is" made me go "Huh"? Even with Phil Dean's recent posting (here): "Yes please do go ahead and create a support ticket. The more information we have and the more traffic we have on this issue allows support to raise this up the flag pole as a top priority due to the impact on customers", raising it higher on the flag pole doesn't really help the tech / dev who's trying to figure out what's going on, which was the point I was trying to make.

So while I didn't put words in your mouth, my reply clumsily implied that you meant something that you actually didn't. Sorry about that.

• Level 5*

One other thing to note with respect to this problem is that URLs may be constant, but what they deliver may not be in this age of dynamic content. Which may explain why folks are reporting differing results on sites like NYT. I could swear that I had a problem with a LifeHacker page, but when I went back to it, Clearly did fine.

• Level 5*

I'm definitely swimming (or not :)) in waters over my head, but web pages can pull in content dynamically and modify the page without being explicitly refreshed by the user. So I'd give a qualified "yes", meaning it's a possibility, but without putting any value on how likely that might be (did I disclaimer that enough?)...

Another variable in peter's case is the Diigo markup. Depending on how it modifies the html it could cause the data stream to be renderable but poorly clippable.

Will do some testing with Diigio later today.

Archived