(Archived) Deleting notes in snippet view

peterfmartin

Idea

I've set up Evernote to be my RSS reader, so I'll often delete a bunch of notes consecutively (read a note, delete it, read another, delete, etc.). When I delete a note in snippet view, the note that is automatically selected when the deletion goes through is the note above the deleted one, not the one below. For instance, if I delete the note third from the top of the list, once that note is deleted, Evernote automatically selects the second note in the list, not the note that had been fourth and is now third. Does that description make sense?

Is there any way I can change this? It's both counter to the logic I've become used to with this action in other programs, and it's a hindrance on my use of Evernote, since it means having to click again to select the next note, the one I actually want to see, after every time I delete a note.

If there's no way to configure my Evernote to make this change, consider this a feature request.

[EDIT: What I'm describing might happen in all views; I don't know. I mention snippet view only because it's the only view I use.]

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Do you have your notes sorted by "Notes by Created" (newest to oldest)?

I just entered 4 test notes.

Note 1 first, then Note 2, then Note 3, and then Note 4.

On my screen, they are listed (newest to oldest):

I select note 4 and press delete.

Note 3 is automatically selected.

Press delete and Note 2 is selected

Press delete and Note 1 is selected

Press delete and they are all gone

If you delete from the top, that happens (since there's no other note it can select). If I delete any other note, for me that doesn't happen.

EDIT: Oh, and I missed your question. I usually sort by date updated, but this happens regardless of which ordering I use.

• Level 5

If you delete from the top, that happens (since there's no other note it can select). If I delete any other note, for me that doesn't happen.

Actually, in my Evernote, I have a ton of other notes above the 4 test notes. That is because Evernote does not offer a Due Date, so I manually change the created date to future dates for appointments, reminders and tasks.

Ok, I just copied your test. I created test notes 1-4. I changed to sort by date created, so they display as:

Random other note [came in on an RSS feed just now]

Test note 4

Test note 3

Test note 2

Test note 1

[All other notes below]

When I deleted "Test note 4," it switched to display "Random other note" (so it switched to the note above, as it always does for me). Same thing happened when I deleted 3, 2, and 1.

I'm using 3.0.4 on Snow Leopard.

Can anyone else confirm or deny that this happens to them?

jbenson, I just tried the same action on my little-used netbook, and it works as you described. I posted this in the Evernote for Mac group because it was an issue I was having on the Mac. When the deletions work as you described, were you using a Mac?

Can anyone else (who's using Mac) confirm or deny whether what I've described happens to them too?

And back to my first question: Does anyone know whether I can change this?

• Level 5*

I don't think there is any way that this is user changeable at the moment.

From a personal point of view, I'd be interested to know what benefit you get from using Evernote as an RSS reader as opposed to a dedicated reader?

Darn. Well, as I said, if that's true, consider this change (either the ability to change this setting on my client, or the universal change to the Mac client to make it delete as the Windows client does) a feature request.

I had used Google Reader for years and switched for a few reasons, including:

—Though I had used it for a while, I often slipped out of the habit of keeping Reader permanently open in a tab. This was made worse when Google removed Reader from the options in the bar at the top of the page. So I wouldn't check it as often as I wanted to, or as often as I check Evernote. Evernote is now always running on my computer.

—Reader deletes items older than 30 days, or items above 10,000 in your account. I had collected too many feeds I didn't read (so sometimes I was over 10,000 items), and I would often glance at items and then "Mark [them] as unread," since I wanted to read them but didn't have time to do so at the time. So items would often get deleted against my wishes (when they became older then 30 days or the 10,000th overall item). With Evernote, I don't have to stress about reading items under any time constraints.

—When I used Reader, I often read items, did not save them anywhere, and then couldn't find them later, whether through searches on Reader or the web. Now, of course, things I read are saved in Evernote, which I'm trying to make my place to search for anything I have ever read/watched/etc. Remember everything, right? Not only is every RSS item I read now searchable in Evernote; even RSS items I haven't read are searchable, so if I didn't have time to read something when it was published, if I later do a search on a subject mentioned in the item, it'll bring up that note and any others I had meant to read. At that point I'm more likely to read those items, since I'm specifically trying to learn about their subject(s).

—Permanently organizing feed items where I want them is super fast, since they're already in Evernote. I just add a couple tags and switch them from my Feeds notebook to my main notebook.

—Evernote is available offline.

I know you've previously recommended Reeder, Metrodon. Maybe Reeder, unlike Google Reader, can do all of the above. But since I was already paying for Evernote premium and Evernote gives me what I want, I saw/see no reason to spend more money on Reeder (especially since the user reviews visible on the Mac store page are relatively negative).

The one problem/constraint I can see to this is the 100,000-note limit. I started using Evernote on June 1, and in the last 5-plus months I've built a datase of 3,000 non-feed notes and almost 2,000 feed notes. That said, I set up the feeds more recently, I think in October, so if I estimate I've created 4,000 notes (through feeds and otherwise) since October 1, when I went premium, I estimate I'll hit 100,000 notes 62 months after I went premium, which is to say in about December 2016. I think I can handle at that point deleting, say, 20,000 years-old feed items—or maybe Evernote will have raised the personal note limit. We'll see.

• Level 5*

I use Google Reader and ifttt to send starred items to Evernote for later perusal. They wind up in Evernote in feed form, but usually with a link to the actual article available. If they're worth keeping, then I break out the Evernote clipper.

• Level 5*

I know you've previously recommended Reeder, Metrodon. Maybe Reeder, unlike Google Reader, can do all of the above. But since I was already paying for Evernote premium and Evernote gives me what I want, I saw/see no reason to spend more money on Reeder (especially since the user reviews visible on the Mac store page are relatively negative).

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Reeder and it integrates with Evernote so stuff I want to keep or read later get the Evernote treatment. Everything else gets skimmed, marked as read etc.

When I look in the App store (UK) Reeder has a pretty good rating

2z8rtxx.png

Cool. Well, as I said, I have no problems with my current setup, so no need to spend any money to change it.

I just wish that Evernote would show the next, instead of the previous, note when I delete (unrelated to the rest of our discussion on RSS readers).

• Level 5*
I just wish that Evernote would show the next, instead of the previous, note when I delete (unrelated to the rest of our discussion on RSS readers).

I agree that that's pretty common behavior, and what I would expect. What's odd, is that when I tested this, the behavior is as you expected: it motes to the next note. I tried it with and without the "Reverse Sort Order" setting checked. Odd...

Sorry, I don't know if I understand: You're saying yours does the opposite from what mine does? Or the same? If it's the opposite, and if you're also using 3.0.4 on Mac, I'll open a support case.

Mine also (or contrary to yours) selects the above note, regardless of whether "Reverse Sort Order" is selected.

Here's another related change I'd like to request on the Mac client (or a bug to report if this doesn't happen to other users):

Often (but not always—I can't figure out when or why it does this), when I delete a note at the bottom of a list, Evernote doesn't select the new bottom note. Instead, it selects the new second-to-bottom note, what had been the third-to-bottom not before the deletion. Here you can see one example of what I mean. The "pre-delete" and "post-delete" images are exactly what they suggest. You can see there what (usually) happens when I delete from the bottom of a list:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10450950/predelete.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10450950/postdelete.jpg

Is this a bug? Does it happen to other people? If it does, here's my formal request that this be changed because it's not logical and not helpful.

Archived