Hi Evernote,

First I would like to say you have an amazing product, and I have temporarily converted from my original OneNote deployments to Evernote. It truly works exceptionally well except in one small regard...

...The TAB Key....

I use outline formats for my notes as I find it easier to keep track of things. Through the Website and Windows client this is fine, as I can use the TAB key to indent to the next lower level and Evernote will automatically put the bullet in a next space appropriately. I will say that the formatting support through OneNote still has some other advantages in this regard as they have more options for font support, bullet layout etc., but we can save that for another discussion.

The problem with the android client is that it doesn't recognize the tab key. That being said, yes, I know that most android devices don't even have a tab key to begin, such as my HTC EVO Shift, however my ASUS Transformer does via it's keyboard docking station, and I am sure so does Apple given the various Bluetooth keyboards that are available.

The second part of this issue is that when I create an outline format via the web or Windows client, and may have several sub notes and bullets under the main start of the outline, I can view it just as I created it inside the Android client. However if I attempt to "edit" that particular note, all previously created and saved formatting is immediately lost and all lines are shifted back to standard left.

I would like to see this small issue corrected at some point. It is my last hold out to fully converting over to Evernote.

Regards

I fully back this. I am a college student and have essentially taken the plunge into Evernote as my primary means of note taking. I really need this functionality on my Acer Iconia tablet (with a tab key available) to make my notes usable at a later date. Please make this the best note taking app out there by adding this functionality.

Use the Swype keyboard (which you should be using anyway :) and hold the space key. Voila, TAB!

I'm sure many other keyboards have a tab character, maybe even the default one does, try holding space.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the space bar trick doesn't work. Must be platform specific if you are getting lucky with it. I guess we will have to see in the future if this option makes it into a future build. Until then, I add notes via android, and just "reformat" them later via windows client. As the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers...

If you swype from the "Swype" key to the "Number" key it will bring up a list of special characters and TAB is one of them, and I know for a fact that that has been there since the earliest versions. Maybe holding down Space is only in the newer versions, so if you want to update your Swype, jJust download it from here:

https://beta.swype.com/

I can't see how you're expecting Evernote to add functionality that is entirely to do with your keyboard. Just replace the keyboard that you are using with one that has a TAB key. That's the great thing about Android!

Indented lists are not implemented on the Android version of Evernote, it is on our wish list though.

We are aware of the issue with this styling being flattened whenever the note is edited on the phone.We will restrict the editing of those note and use the "element editor" (that you can recognise with its grey line and 3 dots) so you won't lose this formatting anymore.

• 1 month later...

I just want to put in another request for an alternative to the tab key on Android. I've been using Evernote with my PC and netbook for about a year. I just got a Kindle Fire, and I love it, except that I can't outline my notes in Evernote. This is one of the primary ways I use the program. The Fire makes this particularly a bad situation, because the keyboard cannot be changed without rooting the device, so if there is a solution with Swype, it doesn't help me.

I must also protest about the android note editor. If you change just one letter, it slams ALL text to the left margin and turns ALL font to tahoma.

I keep nice tidy indented lists in courier (so things line up), shame I have to wait till I get back to my desk to edit them.

I really really need the tab button on my Asus Transformer to work for indented bullets. You can do it on the iPad on Evernote with their plug in keyboards, so why not Android? This is the only thing I need which would get me using Evernote for my school notes. Because I need to be able to type fast and seperate things which should have the white indented bullet.

just got my transformer prime keyboard, and the tab key does nothing useful in the android editor. it should either insert a tab character, or possibly increase the indent, but I dunno what it does.

Evernote needs to acknowledge the additional input these increasingly common keyboards provide.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but clearly nothing has been done about this issue and I'd like to put in a request here too. I take notes for a coding class and switching over to spacebar just isn't possible. It's annoying to have to hit the spacebar 6-10 times to indent code, but the real problem is creating columns. If I want to create two columns, there just isn't a way to get the second column aligned while taking notes. Hitting the tab key a few times should take care of this, but doesn't because it's used to switch fields. This wouldn't be so bad if there was any kind of basic table creation option on the mobile platform, but there isn't. Surely I'm not the only person to have wanted to create two columns. What do other people do?

• 2 years later...

Four years have passed and the issue has still not been addressed. It's a shame really, at least for me: I rely heavily on indentation to format my notes, so I cannot edit them on my Android tablet lest I lose the formatting. For users who like to edit their text notes, not just create and stack them, Android Evernote, after all that time, remains essentially useless.

• 7 months later...

Four years have passed and the issue has still not been addressed. It's a shame really, at least for me: I rely heavily on indentation to format my notes, so I cannot edit them on my Android tablet lest I lose the formatting. For users who like to edit their text notes, not just create and stack them, Android Evernote, after all that time, remains essentially useless.

I am quitting my premium membership over this issue in specific, and over that Android obviously does not get much attention from devs here. Will still be using Evernote as a clipping service, it's still the best I've seen at that.

But notetaking without working indentation? Nope, and that's a deal breaker.

Will be googling hard for evernote alternatives that work well over multiplatforms. Zim desktop wiki looked good, but no android client... (yes, one can edit notes in zim as .txt-files, but I want the whole shebang)

Archived