Evernote for Knowledge Management

I work at a private foundation with two mission areas: social justice and conservation. There are many resources (polling data, articles, published studies, reports, etc.) on topics we care about. This is information that can be helpful to staff.

I have created notebooks for each mission area and one for general philanthropy topics. I developed a taxonomy to use for tags. All resources (i.e., notes) are tagged with multiple categories in the taxonomy.

I then created a catalogue of these notes by copying note titles for each tag category and converting the resulting links to text (in Mac version: Command+Shift and K does this).

The catalogue is in a note and in a Word table with 2 columns. Notes are listed by tag. In the first column is the note title and in the second column is a list of all the tags used for that note.

This was a time-consuming exercise, so if anyone has a better idea for knowledge management of this type, I'd love to hear it.

• Level 5*

Do your staff have access to the Evernote notebooks, or are you using EN purely to build up a listing of useful URLs? It seems to me you could dispense with the catalogue and just let your users search for the items they need within Evernote. The catalogue then never gets out of date, your supporting note can be a working summary and any live links are available immediately to jump to interesting web pages.

I've given staff access to our Evernote account log in info. But because they don't use it regularly, I thought they needed a nudge by seeing the full catalogue in a file that I attached to their email with very detailed instructions on how to access and use the resources.

It's not ideal because, as you point out, the catalogue has to be updated regularly, but I needed something they could review in a medium that was more familiar to them. (baby steps)

Archived