Scansnap S1300 Profile Setup

TechBarber

I recently purchased a ScanSnap S1300 scanner. I've been pretty happy with it so far but I've found the profile setup to be really finnicky and confusing. The result is that it usually takes me 2 tries to get something to scan successfully and to go where I want it to go!

I tried out of the gate to have just a couple of profiles; one for Evernote and one for scanning to a file on my desktop. This worked for the most part, but I had the duplex scanning turned on and I found the "automatic page removal" didn't work so well. Problems would often arise when scanning a document that I had scribbled on or that had a minor mark somewhere on the back. Instead of one page I'd get the page I wanted and a page with my one note scratch on the back.

I now have several profiles setup (Evernote Single Sided PDF, Evernote Double Sided PDF, Evernote Single Sided Image, Evernote Double Sided Image etc etc etc).

Am I missing something here?

I'm also confused by the fact the scanner creates a file somewhere, even if you set it to scan to Evernote.

I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy. In fact, I'm a computer programmer. Something about this software just confuses me though.

And why do I even need to scan anything "directly to Evernote?" If it's going to create a file somewhere anyway, why not just scan to file in the "automatically add to evernote" folder you can setup in the EN software?

• Level 5

I now have several profiles setup (Evernote Single Sided PDF, Evernote Double Sided PDF, Evernote Single Sided Image, Evernote Double Sided Image etc etc etc). Am I missing something here?

<snip>

And why do I even need to scan anything "directly to Evernote?" If it's going to create a file somewhere anyway, why not just scan to file in the "automatically add to evernote" folder you can setup in the EN software?

For thin paper, or very heavily inked text, the information can sometimes show through to the flip side and cause ScanSnap to scan both sides.

I just use one Evernote ScanSnap profile: "duplex PDF". The extra space for both sides is not an issue for me.

But If I decide to scan just one side, I manually override the setting (select the icon at bottom right of my screen) and select simplex scan.

I rarely scan a photo to Evernote as an image. My scanned photos go to Flickr which in my opinion is a better location for photos.

You could change the destination folder to the Evernote Import Folder you have set up. And if you select Delete as the choice under Source, it will delete the saved copy automatically, so you only have one PDF (in Evernote).

When I say I "scan images" I should have been more clear because I'm the same as you - I rarely scan an actual image into Evernote. I do, however, scan documents to an image file quite regularly. This way, Evernote utilizes the OCR technology and I can more easily search for what I'm looking for.

I'm a big ScanSnap and Evernote user. It is unfortunate that the "Scan to Evernote" functionality doesn't give you the option to not save the file to your computer. If that's something you are concerned about and you are on Windows then yes, you are probably better off just scanning to an import folder and letting Evernote import it.

I also have multiple profiles set up, but to be honest that is by choice. For example, if I have a document that has a bunch of fine print on the back that I don't want to scan, I just use my "Single-sided" profile. Makes it easier, and I find a bit of document preparation up front saves a lot of time afterwards.

Regarding scanning a document to an image, if you are using the ScanSnap S1300 (same scanner I have), why not scan it to PDF and let the ScanSnap's software do the OCR for you? Then you have a searchable PDF in Evernote without having to mess around with scanning documents to JPGs.

Regarding scanning a document to an image, if you are using the ScanSnap S1300 (same scanner I have), why not scan it to PDF and let the ScanSnap's software do the OCR for you? Then you have a searchable PDF in Evernote without having to mess around with scanning documents to JPGs.

Because in EN, the PDF is searchable but it doesn't take you to the match within the PDF itself. Let's say I search for a file with the word "Volvo" in it. EN will bring back the PDF containing "Volvo" as a match, but it won't tell me where in that file "Volvo" is. With EN's OCR, it highlights the word in the document right away - no need to open the PDF and run another search.

I now have several profiles setup (Evernote Single Sided PDF, Evernote Double Sided PDF, Evernote Single Sided Image, Evernote Double Sided Image etc etc etc).

I don't have a Scansnap. But I have one scanner (Xerox) that uses software to integrate the back side of pages. You scan the front sides of a stack, then turn them over & load into the adf & click "scan other side". The software auto merges the pages together. I also have a Canon P150 (duplex). Personally, when scanning both sides of docs, I don't worry if a few "not quite blank" pages get added in. It's not worth my time to fiddle with them. I either scan one side or both & as long as I get the important pages, it's all good.

I'm also confused by the fact the scanner creates a file somewhere, even if you set it to scan to Evernote.

I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy. In fact, I'm a computer programmer. Something about this software just confuses me though.

Does the file get deleted after it's sent to EN? If so, then it's creating a "work" file on your hard drive. If it doesn't get deleted, then you may just want to scan to one folder, then copy those files to an import folder that deletes the files after they are imported to EN. I prefer to NOT scan directly to an import folder b/c it can be "iffy", IME. IE, you start scanning & a work/temp file is created. You're still scanning but the partial file may get sent to EN. Then you scan more & the newly updated file gets sent to EN. I can't swear this has happened to me but I know I've encountered funkiness when doing it this way. So I scan to a folder. Then I move those docs to the import folder. I know it's an extra step or two. But worth it, IMO to insure you're getting good/accurate scans. Also, if you start to scan directly to an import folder & something muffs up & you need to rescan, the muffed up version will be sent to EN. NBD if you're importing directly to a local/non-sync'd notebook. But if you're scanning a 30 page document to an import folder that feeds directly to a sync'd notebook, you may get to page 25 & have a paper jam. So you need to redo some of the pages. In the mean time, the original gets sent off to Evernote & if your auto sync kicks in, you've chewed up some of that space.

Because in EN, the PDF is searchable but it doesn't take you to the match within the PDF itself. Let's say I search for a file with the word "Volvo" in it. EN will bring back the PDF containing "Volvo" as a match, but it won't tell me where in that file "Volvo" is. With EN's OCR, it highlights the word in the document right away - no need to open the PDF and run another search.

Yeah, but IMO, it's not that difficult, if you need to do a search within the PDF to open the viewer & use the viewer's search... (shrug) Certainly much better than having 30 jpegs for a 30 page document, IMO.

• Level 5

Question. So since EN is suppose to convert pdfs to searchable ones.... I don't need to have that setting on my scansnap correct?

Technically, you are correct. But if you pull the PDF to be used elsewhere, you will lose the OCR search capability.

It is a personal decision. I do not find the extra 30 seconds per document to be a problem, so I prefer to create searchable PDF's with my ScanSnap.

In the Profile Setting for Scan To Evernote, I found that the OCR setting appears in both the Application Settings for Evernote and in the File Option section to set them to do the OCR for Searchable PDF through the first page or all pages. Which one is correct and should I be using both - so Evernote is able to utilize a full search and the file that is created also has full search?

Note: I'm using a ScanSnap S1300 on a Mac running OS X Lion.

From my understanding ... you will only get the OCR option while using the Evernote Search so I still use the scanner OCR so that if I export or use it out of EN. I can still search on the document. Without rescanning again...

In the Profile Setting for Scan To Evernote, I found that the OCR setting appears in both the Application Settings for Evernote and in the File Option section to set them to do the OCR for Searchable PDF through the first page or all pages. Which one is correct and should I be using both - so Evernote is able to utilize a full search and the file that is created also has full search?

This is an interesting question and thanks for the idea for a future blog post. I just did a little test and here is what I found:

If you check the Application Settings checkbox, the file that is uploaded to Evernote IS searchable, but the file that is saved to the folder specified on the Save tab is NOT searchable.

If you leave Application Settings unchecked but check the File Option checkbox, the file that is uploaded IS searchable, and the file that is saved to the Save tab IS searchable.

If they were going to do this, you'd think/wish they'd give an option not to save the PDF, but there we go.

• 2 years later...

Is there a way to designate a specific notebook scanned documents can be imported to?  My assistant was out today and I scanned a few docs, which went into our shared ToDo notebook, but I want them to now go into our shared Scanned Documents notebook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't remember how I set this up and I'm not at home right now. I think you probably need to make the ToDo notebook your default notebook on the computer you are using to scan the documents. 

When you do that, all new notes will go to that notebook.

There may also be a way to select the notebook in the ScanSnap software - I can't recall, but maybe this will help. 

I'll have a look at my ScanSnap settings tonight if I get a chance and update this thread.

• 4 months later...

You could change the destination folder to the Evernote Import Folder you have set up. And if you select Delete as the choice under Source, it will delete the saved copy automatically, so you only have one PDF (in Evernote).

Good answers for my situation -- thank you.

Now, I have noticed, having just started using the automatically-upload-to-Evernote-folder route for the first time, that for every document I scan to the folder the process creates two notes in Evernote. One is the document itself; the other seems to be a date-time stamp sort of thing -- a separate note.

(1) Is there any harm in deleting the auto-created date-time note?

(2) Is there a way to turn off the creation of these automatic date-time notes?

• 3 weeks later...

Since we are discussing here of scanning to Evernote, does someone is able to get multiple page into a single note (Jpg format) with the scansnap manager?

Say you scan a 3 pages document in batch. When finishing the scan, it create 3 notes with each a different title, containing a single jpg file (which go EN OCR etc...).

Beside merging these notes and manually erasing the notes title between each image, how to get then in one note with one step (merging is ok for 2-5 pages, but 30...).

• Level 5

Since we are discussing here of scanning to Evernote, does someone is able to get multiple page into a single note (Jpg format) with the scansnap manager?

Say you scan a 3 pages document in batch. When finishing the scan, it create 3 notes with each a different title, containing a single jpg file (which go EN OCR etc...).

Beside merging these notes and manually erasing the notes title between each image, how to get then in one note with one step (merging is ok for 2-5 pages, but 30...).

I use ScanSnap to combine multiple documents into a single PDF. 

But if you are scanning photos to JPG:

Merging is the only method for storing multiple JPG's in a single note.

My solution for a set of 30 photos - store them in a photo website such as Flickr or Picasa. Those services are designed for storing and managing large amounts of photos. Evernote, as you have found out, is not.

• Level 5

I realize it isn't for photos, but for scanned documents ( tax form, receipts, handwritten reports etc...) Evernote is good at it!

Why would you want to scan tax documents to a JPG file? That is like slapping a pair of handcuffs on to the information.

Those type of multi-page documents are far more powerful if they are scanned into a single PDF.

I have some random comments. First, I don't think the files that Scansnap saves are in an Evernote import folder nor do I think this is a working folder where files are temporarily stored. Unfortunately Scansnap both puts the file in Evernote and creates a copy in a separate folder on your computer. Near as I can tell, you can't change this behavior. What you can do is periodically delete the files in that folder. 

Next, I did not bother with creating a bunch of special profiles. I work with the Evernote profile set up by Scansnap. However, I can adjust the settings for each batch of things I scan on the right click, Quick Scan menu. So I can set how many pages are in a file. I can set if I want a jpeg or a PDF file (jpegs can only be one page long, that's a jpeg limitation not a Scansnap problem). Usually I decide simplex or duplex scanning when I actually scan the documents since that has a quick choice from the right click quick scan menu and I initiate a batch with that click. 

As someone has already noted, the scanned documents scan to whatever notebook you have open so if you want to determine notebooks, then you must open Evernote to that notebooks. 

If you have a big batch of mixed stuff to scan, then I suggest creating either a scan notebook or a scan tag. This helps me find newly scanned items. Since Scansnap names them with numbers, I re-title each note with a more systematic title that helps me. If they are in the wrong folder, I move them. And generally I click through a document to make sure all pages got scanned in a meaningful manner. Unfortunately pages do twist, and crinkle or get scanned in upside down. Checking before tossing the paper is a wise idea. 

• Level 5

What you can do is periodically delete the files in that folder. 

That is a good suggestion.

It removes duplicate files. And it is especially useful for me because I always rename my PDF's (with the actual note title) once they are in Evernote. 

If I did not delete my duplicates, I end up with two PDF's. 

The original ScanSnap PDF is named:
  • 2014_05_21_06_34_83.pdf (stored in my C:\Data\My Scans\ directory)

and the same PDF in Evernote is named:
  • 2014 04 30 MN Rogers Target Keurig coffee maker receipt.pg

Archived