Please improve the search function...

bacizone

Idea

Hi,

the Search feature of EN for Android could be improved:

Symptom:

1. When I search within a notebook with a search word

2. I open the Note containing the search word.

3. Neither I can see the search word highlighted, nor I can jump between multiple search results.

How it should work:

1. Should immediately jump to the first search result

2. Please add a control to browse the previous / next search results (or dedicate a different search result window for that - a good example for this is e.g. RepliGo PDF reader for Android.)

Baci

50 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@PeterWeb: the Forum Rules of Conduct are here: https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

To wit: 

5. Don’t overdo it.

Try to refrain from double posting, topic bumping or spamming the forum with copied/repeated posts. Flagrant abuse will get you a warning, then a temporary ban if you keep it up.

Your point, however well taken, does not bear reposting more than once. I'll be marking the other repeats as spam.

• Level 5*
It is great that EN development is continuous, and certainly this is not an easy task on this fragmented platform. However the priorities of the features added to Evernote for Android (last example is the Go Premium button??) are strange.

You must be looking at a different Android client than the one that I use -- I've seen lots of new and useful features, but granted, I follow the beta track. You'll have to forgive them for adding a Go Premium button, as that's how they make money.

Is there any public vote counter for Evernote feature requests?

There is none. Or at least there is no official Evernote vote counter; a forum user set one up a couple of years ago; I couldn't tell you where it is, though.

Yes, but the app has been redesigned again "to look nicer"… Sure, search is works on attachment.... but still not within a note...do not get it.

I wonder if there is no official feature voting system for the Evernote community who makes surveys about what the next new features will be?

Nevermind, hope "Keep" will rise fast... until that still using Evernote.

I've being using Evernote for years and is part the spine of my life and certainly my external brain. I have thousands of notes varying from home to work and I just can't access timely. The search function in web, iOS and Win are really difficult to navigate, particularly iOS.

I really make a request, please to improve the search function of the clients.

Also... given the skyrocketing ascent of Ubuntu, it's probably a good idea to start working in a linux/ubuntu client.

• Level 5*

Also... given the skyrocketing ascent of Ubuntu, it's probably a good idea to start working in a linux/ubuntu client.

I'd like to see some solid evidence that Ubuntu is actually skyrocketing. I'm not saying that a Linux client would be a bad thing, but signs are still pointing to "no"; see the lengthy discussion here, for example.

Some stats from simple google searchon "OS usage statistics"

Browser OS usage: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

All true what is being said. Linux traffic is about 5% as today

At the same time many people is predicting the fall of the win/pc based computer.

Also, it's likely China will adopt Ubunty Kylin massively and Lubin said recently Evernote wants to expand overseas.

I'd certainly like to see this or a similar feature in the Android client. It's there in Windows (Control+F for the PDF's at least).

It be great to be able to find search results in:

a. very long notes

b. notes with PDF's in it. A pdf of several 100 pages (or even 20 or 50 pages for that matter..) makes finding my search result practically impossible (unless I spend hours reading each individual page for a result that matches my search term, kinda hard when the search results are not highlighted either in the PDF)....

+1 for this feature. 

@bacizone,

I already answered this thread, and added your request to the wish list. I understand your frustration, I have myself in this list many pending issues.

However, since we don't provide ETA, I am not sure to understand what answer you expect here.

Having a look at the Forum may help you understand why it takes time to answer every single request... and this is only the emerged part of the iceberg.

@PeterWeb: the Forum Rules of Conduct are here: https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

To wit: 

5. Don’t overdo it.

Try to refrain from double posting, topic bumping or spamming the forum with copied/repeated posts. Flagrant abuse will get you a warning, then a temporary ban if you keep it up.

Your point, however well taken, does not bear reposting more than once. I'll be marking the other repeats as spam.

Do what you like, I'm done beating my head against a brick wall. Any software developer so blind to such an obvious and crucial failing - and to so many user requests about it - will not be getting my money or my attention again. Period.

Who tested alternatives? How did they perform on this problem and other Evernote functionalities? Please provide some feedback on your use (number of devices, operational systems, how long and how many notes you usually edit and search, how frequently you use it).

I will start to test alternatives. I use an android phone, an android tablet, an iPad mini, and a Linux computer. In the Linux computer I use Evernote though Crome and chromium, and plan to also use I through bash. I had 10k notes, but many of them were clippings, that I now use pocket. So the notes now are more text files. I have pretty large files holding diaries, like medical conditions on patients, and things like that. Every week I insert some text and search on it every month.

Evernote is no good on that, so, from time to time I had to number the note and have a new clean note. That is because whenever I edit the note on android and iPad, it gets messed up. So I what a note application that can work fine on both platforms. Or at least do search on android, and be edited well on iPad. (I do not edit on android any more, because I already know the bug).

Did any one here tested alternatives recently? How is your use?

Cloud-based alternatives I know:

Google Docs - perfect for in text search

Google Keep - I use this a lot, very easy for sketching ideas, text is always editable without bugs and later can copy into my Evernote system.

Microsoft OneNote - superb!

I do not know OS X based products but they have certainly cloud-based note taking / editing app.

Hi,

this search feature in incomplete in EN for Android.

I suffer from not having a proper search in notes.

Please implement those recommendations above (or even more better if you have one) into EN.

Otherwise EN is amazing on Android, but this is still a big absence.

Is there nobody else bothering with the incomplete search?

Please count me as another request to move the "find in note" functionality into the Android version of Evernote way up higher on your Todo list.

BTW, the Evernote is AWESOME, love it.

I have a fairly large note that I have to be able to search to pull info from.

It has to be encrypted, so please don't leave out the ability to search a note after it has been decrypted to the screen.

I see from the detailed description that your search function has some REALLY nice juce behind it. Probably going to be a ***** to implement... :-( Sorry. Lots of us are waiting for it though!!

Thanks!!!

I'd just like to strongly add my "search within note" request to the above. It is especially essential for encrypted notes, per I'mBob's comment. Evernote does everything I need except this - but without this, the rest might as well not be there.

It won't even let me select and copy encrypted text (after entering the key of course) so that I can paste it into an external editor which can search it. So effectively, my long encrypted notes can only be accessed via a painstaking visual search.

It turns out there IS a within-note find. It's just so cleverly concealed that almost impossible to find (npi) - and even harder to remember next time around. But it's there, it works, and it's good.

Do this:

1. Open your note

2. Also unlock any encrypted bit(s) you need to find within

3. (the real obscure bit) Select some text, e.g. by touching a word until it is selected

4. An edit menu appears at the top of the screen

5. (the second obscure bit) Hit the down-arrow at the right - THERE's the magic Find function on the menu!

6. When you select Find from that menu, the word you had originally selected will be in the Find edit box

7. Just click in the edit box and replace it with your desired Find target - it will be found and highlighted as you type, just as bacizone asked in the first post

8. Up and down arrows to the right of the edit box find next/previous

All I could ask really is to make it vastly easier to start a find - and possible to start without an unwanted word in the edit box!

Oh, and someone from Evernote - or someone who at least knows something about the product - reading the posts here and responding, so we don't have to stumble on this stuff by chance.

But thanks for implementing it, whenever that happened.

Hi,

sorry, I could not replicate this procedure in the latest Evernote: when I go to Edit mode and Select All text, there is no Find function in the menu (there is not even a down-arrow).

Are you sure you are using the latest EN with the ICS layout?

Hi,

sorry, I could not replicate this procedure in the latest Evernote: when I go to Edit mode and Select All text, there is no Find function in the menu (there is not even a down-arrow).

Are you sure you are using the latest EN with the ICS layout?

Yes, I have the latest EN version, and running on ICS.

DON'T go into edit mode first. Do your selection (via long press on a word) in ordinary view mode.

Then the selection bar at the top appears -- use the down arrow, and you'll be fine.

@bacizone,

I already answered this thread, and added your request to the wish list. I understand your frustration, I have myself in this list many pending issues.

However, since we don't provide ETA, I am not sure to understand what answer you expect here.

Having a look at the Forum may help you understand why it takes time to answer every single request... and this is only the emerged part of the iceberg.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

As this thread started in 2011 November, and now 15 (!) months later I would have expected an answer like "is it already in dev" or "we are close.." (assuming this is true) or so :) .

It is great that EN development is continuous, and certainly this is not an easy task on this fragmented platform. However the priorities of the features added to Evernote for Android (last example is the Go Premium button??) are strange.

I also wonder am I the only one frustrated by the lack of this fundamental feature of an information management software? Seems so. Need to find info very quickly and regularly in around 350 long text notes... this is really PITA now.

Is there any public vote counter for Evernote feature requests?

Hi,

thanks for the detailed explanation. I am on Android 2.3.5 and the layout looks different here:

post-80773-0-37274400-1340790140_thumb.p

The 3 dot at the lower right corner opens a menu.. but not Find here. Also, selection does not work by long pressing on the word.

I am sure I am using the latest Evernote...

Developers, can you comment this?

• Level 5*

Hi. I am running Android 2.3.4 on a Droid X with Evernote 4.1 (beta 3) and I do not know of any "find" feature, and I also have a very different looking display, just like the one in the screenshot above by bacizone.

I did not found my duplicate post.. however text search results were always highlighted... this was never a problem, and my deleted post was not about that.

The problem is the navigation within the search results within a document... which does not exist at all in Evernote for Android !

I can not believe how this feature left out from an app for years that handles a great amount of text....

• Level 5*

You added a new topic that was almost completely identical to the first post in this topic. I deleted that, as it was redundant.

I did misunderstand what you were specifically asking for. My bad. Navigating between search results in a document would be a good thing, and Xavier has already said that it's on his wish list.

Archived