(Archived) Looking for Input on Views for Projects

I mainly use EN for information management but I'd like to start to use it more for personal project management. While I've been able to create a notebook hierarchy and tagging system for information management that works well for me and that I am happy with, I've not been able to do the same for personal project management. Here's why, and I'd like input and ideas from others:

Example notebook hierarchy:

1. Health (stack)

1.1 Change health insurance

1.2 Research

1.3 And so on

2. Material (stack)

2.1 Find new house

2.2 Car Notes

2.3 And so on

In the above example 1.1 and 2.1 are notebooks that represent projects. The challenge is that I'd really like to be able to call up a dynamic view called "Projects" where I would see all of my projects in one place, i.e.

• Change health insurance
  • Find new house

Tags allow me to create "dynamic" views per se of notes, but there is no mechanism that I know of that allows me to do the same for notebooks. Suggestions? Ideas? [other than telling me to change my notebook hierarchy and put all of my projects in one stack :-)]

Thanks!

p.s. I thought I had the perfect solution. I would just share the project notebooks (and keep them private and invite only myself) and then they would show up under shared notebooks as my "dynamic" view of my project notebooks. But I guess that "shared" only shows notebooks other people have shared with me, because notebooks that I share don't show up there.

Thanks!

Maybe a more intensive tagging system? Each note tied to a project has a project tag + name tag. You could search based on just projects, or a project of a specific name.

Though it sounds like you would have already landed upon this already...

• Level 5*

Notebooks, being just containers of notes, really don't have much n the way of content of their own, and there's no way to categorize them as you can with notes; you can't tag them, and you can't search multiple notebooks at a time, except for (All Notebooks, or All the notebooks in a stack). Except as a unit of sharing, or for storing local, unsynched notes in a desktop client, notebooks don't do a whole heck of a lot for me. I think that tags would be a whole lot better in your case; something along the lines of what gbarry suggested would be a good start.

• Level 5*

. . .

In the above example 1.1 and 2.1 are notebooks that represent projects. The challenge is that I'd really like to be able to call up a dynamic view called "Projects" where I would see all of my projects in one place, i.e.

• Change health insurance
  • Find new house

I think gbarry was suggesting something similar to this.

You could tag every note that is part of a project with a tag named "Project".

Furthermore, you could create a Project ID for each Project, like "P.1.1", and create a tag by this name.

Then you could tag every note associated with that project with that tag.

So, if you wanted to see all Notes for all Projects, just click on the "Project" tag.

If you want all notes for the Project 1.1 Change heath insurance, enter this in the Search box AFTER clicking "All Notes":

tag:Project tag:P.1.1

Finally, I use one more tag named "MasterNote", and apply it to the primary, or "master" note associated with a group of notes that are all part of the same Project or Task. This "MasterNote" might be like a summary and/or table of contents for the entire project.

Then you could enter this in the Search box: tag:Project tag:MasterNote to get only ONE note per Project.

Does this make sense?

Archived