Give Subnotebooks in Different Notebooks Same Name?

Is it possible, and do you perhaps have any plans, to modify Evernote so that we can assign the same name to two or more sub-notebooks that each reside in different parent notebooks? For example:

Project 1

• Assets (<-- sub-notebook within Project 1 notebook)
  • Emails
  • Graphics

Project 2

• Assets
  • Emails
  • Graphics

I use Evernote to manage projects and, from an organizational perspective, it would be very helpful if I could use the same notebook structure across all my projects. Currently, Evernote does not allow this.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

There are no such things as subnotebooks in Evernote -- there are stacks, but those are distinct from notebooks; they're just containers for organizing notebooks. Notebook names all still live in the same "namespace", and the policy seems to be that notebook names will be distinct.

On the other hand, rather than using stacks and notebooks (which don't fit your model), why not use notebooks and tags (which do)? That is, make "Project 1" and "Project 2" notebooks, and "Assets", "Emails" and "Graphics" tags. You can use the same tags for notes that reside in either project notebook.

• Level 5

Evernote is quite flexible.

Another way to address this and maintain the same structure mentioned in your post is to use Stacks (parent) and Notebooks (child).

Project 1

• Pr1-Assets
  • Pr1-Emails
  • Pr1-Graphics

Project 2

• Pr2-Assets
  • Pr2-Emails
  • Pr2-Graphics

• 2 years later...

Is it possible, and do you perhaps have any plans, to modify Evernote so that we can assign the same name to two or more sub-notebooks that each reside in different parent notebooks? For example:

Project 1

• Assets (<-- sub-notebook within Project 1 notebook)
  • Emails
  • Graphics
Project 2
  • Assets
  • Emails
  • Graphics
I use Evernote to manage projects and, from an organizational perspective, it would be very helpful if I could use the same notebook structure across all my projects. Currently, Evernote does not allow this.

Thanks!

Old post but this is still en issue for me. Having multiple notebooks with the same name but belonging to different stacks is a dealbreaker for me and one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded to a pro account yet. Is there any plans for this feature in the future?

• Level 5*

Evernote usually doesn't give out feature roadmaps in advance, so we can't tell if there are plans or not.

As detailed above, it'd be somewhat of an architectural change, as stacks don't exist as separate Evernote entities; it would also imply changes to the search language, as notebook names might need to be qualified by their stack if they exist in one so that you could distinguish between notebooks with the same name. I'd guess that this isn't in the works any time soon, if at all, but I don't know. What I do know is that if you're using Evernote, you should probably aim to use the Evernote that exists today, rather than relying on features that may never be implemented, or hoping that they'd appear.

An interesting parallel is tags that come from shared accounts can be identical, but are treated as identical with respect to the search language. That is, if tag "A" exists in a notebook that's shared to me, and also in my account, then a search on tag a ("tag:A") will match notes in my account and in the shared notebook. I'd guess that you'd want to be able to disambiguate notebooks of the same name, however.

Archived