One keyboard shortcut away from a mouseless life

CMagnuson

Idea

Evernote Community,

I am a keyboard enthusiast and a avid GTD follower. I love Evernote as my life reference system and utilize ToodleDo for my actions system.

With the combination of Chrome, Vimium, Switcher, Windows, ToodleDo, Evernote, and Outlook keyboard shortcuts I am able to live my entire life without touching the mouse on a day to day basis except for one simple action, clicking the evernote button in Chrome to snip content from a webpage. This is literally the last thing in my digital workflow that I have to resort to the mouse for and I have not been able to find any way to invoke Evernote's chrome snipping functionality without clicking in the green elephant icon.

Please help!

Is there any way to use a keyboard short cut to active this button? Is there anyway I can enter this as a feature request if it doesn't already exist? I am a premium Evernote subscriber if that makes any difference.

This is the last wall to fall before I have finally reached mouse less nirvana =).

Thanks for your help,

Chris

20 replies to this idea

I was looking for this too -- and if you use Chrome, there's a workaround discussed in this thread: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24331-howto-keyboard-shortcut-to-trigger-web-clipper/

Also pasted below:

Hi Everyone

Good news if you have Chrome — they pushed out a new update recently that included support for activating extensions via customizable input.

Steps

Hit: '⌘' + ','

to go to Settings

Then click into the Extensions window

attachicon.gif finding_extensions_in_chrome_settings.png

Then just scroll to the bottom of the extensions browser under settings and click 'Configure Commands'.

As seen here attachicon.gif Keyboard_shortcuts_screenshot.png

Here you can add whatever keyboard shortcut you want (for those who suffer from decision paralysis '⌃' + '⇧' + 'e' or control + shift + e).

My recommendation to make this even easier is to map the capslock key to control (⌃),

If you want to do that in a mac you can under in the system preferences → keyboard → 'Modifier Keys' see image below

attachicon.gif Modifier Keys in keyboards.png

For non-Mac users, I'm sure there are good resources online for how to remap a key as outdated as the caps-lock key.

I hope this turns out to be helpful for people!

Cheers,

Mike

Credits to ↬ http://superuser.com...hrome-extension

Thank you @aliarose

I've been dropping by this thread for about a year hoping the Web Clipper would eventually have native keyboard shortcuts.  I wasn't aware of the Configure Commands until @aliarose posted this.

By the way, "Configure commands" will eventually morph into "Keyboard shortcuts" under the extensions window; it's already built into Canary:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s18/sh/def2e5f1-82d2-4a91-b42f-829e1abcee27/230dd046e059150f6337d305e4489047

I was looking for this too -- and if you use Chrome, there's a workaround discussed in this thread: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24331-howto-keyboard-shortcut-to-trigger-web-clipper/

Also pasted below:

Hi Everyone

Good news if you have Chrome — they pushed out a new update recently that included support for activating extensions via customizable input.

Steps

Hit: '⌘' + ','
to go to Settings

Then click into the Extensions window
attachicon.gif finding_extensions_in_chrome_settings.png

Then just scroll to the bottom of the extensions browser under settings and click 'Configure Commands'.

As seen here attachicon.gif Keyboard_shortcuts_screenshot.png

Here you can add whatever keyboard shortcut you want (for those who suffer from decision paralysis '⌃' + '⇧' + 'e' or control + shift + e).

My recommendation to make this even easier is to map the capslock key to control (⌃),

If you want to do that in a mac you can under in the system preferences → keyboard → 'Modifier Keys' see image below
attachicon.gif Modifier Keys in keyboards.png

For non-Mac users, I'm sure there are good resources online for how to remap a key as outdated as the caps-lock key.

I hope this turns out to be helpful for people!

Cheers,
Mike

Credits to ↬ http://superuser.com...hrome-extension

Hi Chris:

I too strive for mouseless work... and am very intersted in how you work with Outlook mouseless (ie: what's the shortcut to send an email to Evernote?). Can you help me by tell me how you do it? And how you enter tasks from "Windows" (specifically, how do you add a task title when starting a new note from Windows)? Lastly: I take it you like Toodledo?

Thanks

-Ed

Peter, I think that the 3.5 Shortcuts referenced were before the Knowledge Base, so the shortcuts would be for the current windows version here: https://support.ever...ote-for-Windows.

Thanks, Jeff. One problem, though, at least for me: Am I the only one for whom linked support pages usually don't open? I don't know why that happens, but it's been at least weeks, if not upwards of a month or two, like this. (The pages occasionally open, but usually don't.)

Hi,

This is a fascinating insight for me into how people use the web. Could I possibly ask if there is any reason why you prefer to use a keyboard only, and is this common?

We are working on making our web application more accessible, including to keyboard users and understanding the variety of users out there a little better would be so helpful.

Apologies if this is off topic, I wasn't sure where else to take this question.

Many thanks,

Alice.

Thanks for the info. I am really looking forward to this feature and so are 4 other people in my office =).

Is there a bugzilla entry or something similar that I can subscribe to so that I can get notified when this feature has been implemented? Maybe even an RSS for the release notes for the Chrome extension?

Archived