(Archived) another way to combine GTD and Evernote

braintoniq

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

In Windows, the F10 key toggles the left panel on and off. The Left Panel contains your tags.

I can't help you if you are using a Mac.

I thought I could use the Mac shortcuts in the Evernote Knowledgebase, but it does not list a Left Panel.

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=587&hitOffset=64+62+58+44+34+29+5&docID=808

Thanks for the try jbenson.

I guess just to be more specific, in The Secret Weapon video they showed a list view with not only the Date Created, Title, Author fields present, but also Tags. When I right click on the list view, Tags is not an option. All of this is on a Mac of course.

• Level 5

Oh, I think I understand. You want the tags to show up in the same window. I think you can drag them around to the order you want.

And you can select which titles you want - Title, Created, Updated, Source URL, Size, Notebook, Author, Tags, etc.

In Windows, you right click on the title bar in the Note List.

Hopefully a Mac expert will step in. I am out of my league when it comes to Apple stuff.

...in The Secret Weapon video they showed a list view with not only the Date Created, Title, Author fields present, but also Tags. When I right click on the list view, Tags is not an option. All of this is on a Mac of course.

You've pointed out one of the few disparities between EN's Windows version and Mac version. In the Mac version, we can't sort by Tags. I know: crazy.

At our company, we all run Macs... except for my partner, who runs a PC, and he used Windows screen shots in the videos.

Fortunately, I don't mind the missing feature, because I tag everything, so by clicking on the tag, I see the to-dos that I need to deal with.

The only Sort method I use is by date. I use the Snippet View (the middle one of the the 3), and by sorting by date, all of the newest ones appear at the top. Those are always the ones that don't have tags yet, since I toss them in a rapid rate throughout the day whenever I think of something (on my iPhone, while in another application (Control-Command-N), or forwarding an email to EN). Because I don't want to interrupt what I'm doing, I just trust that later on in the day, or the next morning, I'll put a tag (or tags) onto all those new to-dos there at the top of the list.

I'm sure the EN developers know that bringing parity between the OS's is important, so my guess is that the Mac version will have Sort By Tag sometime in the next 6 months. How's that for positive reinforcement.

I'm sure the EN developers know that bringing parity between the OS's is important, so my guess is that the Mac version will have Sort By Tag sometime in the next 6 months. How's that for positive reinforcement.

From your keyboard to their ears. By far my largest ongoing concern about this great product is that Evernote does not place enough importance on consistency between platforms. Because there is no clear communication of the core features of the application as opposed to the platform-specific features, users sometimes have no way to tell whether a difference between platforms is a design decision, a delay in implementation on one platform, or a bug.

Archived