Programming Lifestyle

I'm a C++/Java programmer daily using EN in my workplace since 2008.

From technical notes to reports, from customers requests to benchmarks, my EN is part of my developping process.

Coupled to Outlook (for incoming emails) and Producteev for my GTD, EN is my essential repository for my brain.

If I share my notes with my colleagues, exclusivly by email, my big challenge is to show them how powerfull is EN for storing and sharing information.

I'm also involved in project for introducing EN in a classroom.

I'm also active on G+ through GTD and Evernote circles, on which you can find other well known fan of EN like Daniel Gold, Bobby Travis or Pierre Journel

(https://plus.google.com/#s/evernote)

So, if anyone as questions on how using EN in a development area...

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm also a developer, and a new Evernote user. I've been using Evernote for project ideas, especially when I'm away from the PC. Whenever I come up with a good idea, I add it to my Project notebook using Evernote for Android, then flesh it out later on the PC with a list of features, tag it with the language(s) I'll be using, and maybe add a Balsamiq Mockup. Once I finish the project, I add a screenshot of the final product, a link to its GitHub page, and move the note to a separate notebook for completed projects. It's nothing fancy, but I've found it much more useful then keeping a pocket notebook or todo list on my phone.

I used to use Google Notebook for storing code snippets back in the day, but it was eventually shut down. I was never able to find anything quite as good as GN for that purpose and fell out of the habit, but Evernote looks like it could really suit the job.

• 3 months later...

If you're a casual programmer (I do some prototype and throwaway numeric code in my day job in MATLAB) and doesn't do stuff like object heirarchies across multiple files, snippets are the way to go. Ironically, since object wrapping isn't a core feature of MATLAB (it's there, but it's not idiomatic, and you never start out MATLAB code thinking of such things), the other use case for it is to keep track of the mathematical meaning of inputs and outputs to functions as they relate to your model, and sometimes the mathematical meaning of certain cryptic for loops and such.

I mean, code comments are supposed to do that, but it's good to have that in a centralized place. Fair warning: code snippets I've done, the latter I'm planning to do for my next project. Last project I hand wrote so many emails explaining code to PHP people (who were going to run it in Octave and call from the web server) that could be avoided by keeping progressive documentation in Evernote and emailing periodically.

Can I take this space to thank profusely the EN team for the ability to send notes over email independently of having a configured email client?

Archived