New Feature Suggestion: Search Evernote Notes in Spotlight search

Bojan011

Idea

I am premium user and, since I have Evernote notes offline, I would love to have Spotlight search included on my phone. iPhone's native notes are searchable from Spotlight, can we have Evernote notes integrated as well. This would make ubiquity frictionless searching on my phone, instead of going to the app itself.

In other words it would simply rock. In the meanwhile I actually started using native notes app for note taking and than I would forward a note via email so I can have it in Evernote on my other devices as well.

Let me know if there is any other workaround. My phone is jailbroken, so if there is any tweak I would love to know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 replies to this idea

Yes please, I have been using ever note for just a few days and it's great!!!

However the one feature that is lacking is spotlight, natively the iPads, iPhones and iMacs spotlight search is brilliant it returns all emails, contacts and docs etc on the device. If it also included evernotes then wow a powerful piece of joined up technology. As someone who still uses the free version, this feature would make this a must buy app.

Tx for a great app

Rob

• Level 5*

i certainly wouldn't have anything against it, though i wonder if our ram / processors could handle a search of everything (if evernote got it, then so would everyone else). i do pretty much everything on the iphone/ipad in evernote, though, so i don't see much point in using spotlight. in fact, to be honest, i think i might have used spotlight twice. siri gets about the same amount of love. i wonder if i am missing something here...

Interestingly enough, on Android, the default search (google) lets you select apps that you want to search in, through 'settings' --> "searchable items"; that includes Evernote too. Has been working great on my android phone. Wish same was possible on iPad 2.

• Level 5*

Considering all the changes in ios 8, will this feature now be possible?

Unless you know something I don't, Spotlight remains the same old useless feature. It'll do more with the web now, I think, but still cannot access the content of non-apple stuff.

I have always used google keep for my notes and info handling. The iPhone's spotlight search finds notes' heading as well as the contents of notes in the google keep flawlessly . The reason I wanted to switch to Evernote was due to its ability to attach .pdf and of course its broad range of functionalities.  However, this little flaw of not able to search from spotlight would stop me from switching to the Evernote premium. I hope this gets fixed one day. 

iOS Spotlight Search was extended to 3rd parties in iOS 9: https://developer.apple.com/ios/search/

It is disappointing that Evernote 8.0 doesn't support what seems ubiquitous now for other apps and straightforward to implement.

When searching the contents of a note, many times I want to search across many contexts: Emails, Calendar events, iMessages, etc. I want to know, for example, all instances of "customer X" appeared across my apps.

But for Evernote, it will only present Spotlight Search results if the search string is in the title of the note. Or you have to go inside the app and search. As Jay Maheta mentioned, even Google Keep is ahead on this - their note contents are presented in Spotlight Search. Yet Evernote is lightyears ahead of Keep in almost every other way.

I would love to see Spotlight Search supported in iOS and macOS versions of Evernote - this, too, has kept me back from upgrading!

• Haha 1

For me this is the big missing feature of EN. I always use search on my iPhone/iPad and it finds notes or documents from many other (non Apple) apps, but not Evernote. 

I notice that I am using EN less and less to keep notes because of this..

• Level 5

Do you mean the legacy iOS app, or the v10 app ?

For v10 this is the wrong subform.

Technically EN relies on the own search function. Because in the new version the data format is proprietary, and the app works as well with no downloaded content, support for a system wide search would not be easy to implement.